Why was Off The Record so much better than DR2? Was it because Frank was a much more likable character than Chuck was?

Why was Off The Record so much better than DR2? Was it because Frank was a much more likable character than Chuck was?

probably becuase it was just DR2 with more content

because
>it was just DR2 with more content
and
> Frank was a much more likable character than Chuck was

what the fuck happened to frank in dr2? why does he look so meth'd out in such a short span of time?

why didn't they just keep him the same as in the first game? they're practically retconning dr2 frank anyway with dr4.

>16 years
>short amount of time

wat

Was it just me or did OTR just throw you into the game as opposed to DR2 easing you into it with tutorials and the like

Not that I'm complaining but it's the first thing I picked up on when playing OTR

chuck had no special thing. frank has camera mechanic which is really fun to fuck around with.

they should have had dropped chuck's daughter plot and tried ti give him something unique he would have been more fun. they should have expanded upon his stuntman/motorcycle thing, instead we got reluctant hero #78204710

Maybe because OTR was meant to be DLC but they decided to make it a stand alone game.

I mean, wasn't all of DR2 data available in OTR, just locked?

exactly what i said.

Frank turning into a coked out recovery addict was totally in-character.

I see what you are saying now
to be fair the devs for DR4 clearly dont give a shit about the series

on the contrary. bringing back west without the nasty coke and hooker habit look is probably the best thing they could've done.

they are also bringing it back to its roots
by removing things that made the original game unique
they even decided to bring it back to its roots by not even asking the original VA to come back

face it
its gonna be the Saints row 4 of the DR games
completely devoid of everything that made the gold games good because they have to make it SUPER WACKY

to be completely fair to the devs of 4, 2 and 3 were also trash.

and to be fair to saints row, those games were also trash after 2.

DR2 and off the record were fine games actually
they improved the story and mechanics and refined the AI so they arent anywhere near as stupid
the only problem I really had was zombrex and i didnt care
I couldnt for the life of me finish 4 though.

i'm assuming you mean 3. and who even remembers 3 anyway

yeah I ment 3
it just felt like it was devoid of all the old game's charm

i agree. 2 at least felt like it was made by the same devs. 3 i don't even know what the fuck they were doing.

i don't really get capcoms reluctance to just keep certain things as they are. i'm with you on the VA and time limit things. i'm a little annoyed at how much new-frank reminds me of michael from gta 5. even down to the voice.

You either make the character look like frank west, or you keep the old VA.

Dead Rising 4 not only makes him look like a completely different character he also has a new voice.

It's not Frank West, it just isn't.

He looks more like Michael from GTA5 than Frank West.

I was actually gonna say that, dunno why I didn't, but I completely agree.

I don't know what the fuck they're thinking.

it's Frank East

But user, Frank is Backā„¢!

They guy who voices Michael De Santa actually sounds a lot more like Frank West than the person currently voicing him funnily enough. The new VA sounds absolutely nothing like Frank.

TJ Rotolo sounds like a younger Ned Luke (Michael) anyway. I wouldn't mind if they did get Ned Luke to voice Frank because he's honestly pretty good at VA work. But, he's retired. I don't know what his plans are.

>they even decided to bring it back to its roots by not even asking the original VA to come back
They did this because Rotolo is part of the VA union and because of union bullshit they (Capcom) would have had to pay him a pretty hefty sum.

The new VA is clearly not as good as him, but he does sort of sound like Frank.

I just cant see dead rising in this game
outside of there being weapons and it taking place in williamette I just cant find the similarities

>Frank turning into a coked out recovery addict was totally in-character.
But it wasn't. Frank had drive and a commitment to his work. Sure he wasn't necessarily a hero sticking his neck out to save people, but even before he knew anything in Dead Rising 1 he knew he was risking his life and freedom for journalism. That didn't change ever in DR1 despite it seeming to be a perfectly natural; "Well that's how you got here" backstory. Even when confronted by both government agents trying to censor him and terrorists who personally tried to kill him, Frank always had exposing the truth on his mind.

OTR would have you believe he had no integrity and either became or always was a paparazzi.

HORDES OF ZOMBIES ON THE HORIZON
WHO YOU GONNA CALL WHEN THE DEAD ARE RISIN'?

Well Chuck's thing was clearly supposed to be combo weapons. Of course even by Case West they gave that up for Frank to use. There weren't any vehicles there but... of course Nick came along to put more "more" into the game.

Y'know what they should have been doing? They should have distinguished the characters by having every weapon in the game have different attack animations for each character. Frank slashes with a bowie knife? Chuck stabs with it. Frank backhands with a nightstick? Chuck grabs it by the shaft and uses it as a hammer.