What's the appeal of ARPGs like Diablo, Path of Exile, and Torchlight? They're so boring and repetitive

What's the appeal of ARPGs like Diablo, Path of Exile, and Torchlight? They're so boring and repetitive.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/6yB3QZa.gifv
pathofexile.gamepedia.com/History_of_Wraeclast
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like hoarding

fighting your dickbutt friends for the best loot

Item collecting/customization and progressing at your own pace.

they're like cilantro, you either love it or hate it
except you're not genetically predisposed like cilantro

Slots machines with RPG elements and trade. Well, nowadays they've removed trade.

This. Essentially its an MMO where you can play at your own pace without bullshit time gates making it a blast since the loot hunt is all you care about in MMOs.

>he doesnt know people liking cilantro is a joke

They are made for boring people who want to zone out and do almost nothing at all whatsoever in the ways of engaging combat beyond a few clicks and holding a key down and occasionally pressing a number key for the assorted heal functions or special skills.

Skinner box, get items with slightly bigger numbers.

Just a different angle to play an rpg and that is all there is to it.

>What's the appeal of FPS like DOOM, COD, BF? They're so boring and repitive.

Finally someone gets it. Diablo games are MMOs without all the flaws of an MMO.

how do i git gud at this GAYme

Building your characters, getting the best gear/loot, the best stats and using your skills to take down hordes of mobs and bosses.

We used to call that "single player".

By actually playing it instead of using an image from an unfinished game 5 years ago to shitpost about the whole genre

But Diablo has multiplayer. It just cuts out all the shitty raiding and 'community'.

????? i'm not op

what's a good game that will help me recapture the feel of doing mephisto runs in diablo 2 classic to try and roll some rare loot with godly modifiers?

grim dawn style doesn't appeal to me. Should I just play diablo 2 again?

Yeah, but the game wasn't made for MP.

It, indeed, influenced MMORPG. RO devs always said they were heavily inspired by it. Maybe that's why RO was the only MMORPG that wasn't shit.

Path of Exile like in the OP's image ?
Except rolling for a really good rare is extremely hard in PoE, but then again the current league is Essence make it a lot ezier.

Never liked this genre, but now I've tried playing Titan Quest and can't stop playing it. Send help, my backlog is too huge to get caught up playing one game for hundreds of hours.

if you haven't played PoE you really should if you played a lot of D2

i played it since closed beta and it's a lot closer to how I imagined Diablo 3 would be like back in the mid 2000s

on the other hand D2 is always fun. I just reinstalled and there are still a lot of people on bnet playing new chars

phat lewt
also

>that old overlay
I just want my girls back...

Diablo II was definitely made with multiplayer in mind. It having online multiplayer was its major selling point. Though its best features were the skills and items.

A what now?

Honestly for me? it is the fun of going through hordes of enemies, getting loot and making a character the way i want, PoE is fun when you try and do something you find fun instead of going into the autistic meta that you shouldn't really bother with unless you want to do high level content.

Ascendancies are fun, skills are fun, support gems are fun, the passive tree is fun.

skinner boxen

Themepark MMO*

pretty much what this user said it's fun putting together your own kind of builds pretty much the only game i can come back to and have a different build i can go try out and now that they made it even easier to obtain end game maps you can see what builds you can push to the limits without spending as much currency

Although, to be fair, i would be a complete hypocrite if i didn't mention that not 2 hours ago i fought a fucking ribbon that tore my witch a new asshole and died like 5 times in merciless.

So yeah, go with whatever build you want but never let your defenses get too low.

yeah i feel your pain man running a MF scion on essence lvl 78 and only 3.5k hp not fun when a tier 8+ boss decides to touch me hoping by around 84ish i can jump up to about 4.1k hp or so just started to hit the scion hp wheel

jeez, i can't even imagine how fucked up some maps could be, my first character was a witch necromancer, that i wanted to spec into both summoning and ice magic. Unfortunately that ment that if i ever get hit it will probably be an instant one shot with no way of avoiding it.

I could finish normal and cruel but yellow maps usually kick my ass pretty hard

I like Loot Simulators and customizing gear and stats to the way I like to play.

Diablo 2 and Path of Exile were great at this because a single piece of gear, or a single stat out of place can turn an average build into something amazing.
Making a Werewolf Barbarian was hilariously fun.
Or on Path of Exile, turning the old Paladin guy into some kind of death knight that punches things, then when they die, they turn into your own minions.

>charging through the gates of damnation into the very maw of the abyss and facing down the most eldritch horrors of the lower planes, just so you can rob the shit out of them
>feverishly blasting and carving your way through the endless legions of hell until the walls are red and strewn with gibs and limbs, tearing across the blighted lands like a holy tornado, naught left in your wake but a bloody swathe of eviscerated, lamenting hellspawn and disemboweled wretches complaining of their now emptied pockets and bowels as you continue ever downward to mercilessly slaughter the rest of their unsuspecting kin for ever-increasing murderous power and terrible riches
>boring
are you even human?

whats the appeal of life? its so boring and repetitive

They're the ultimate in escapism.

running a pretty basic build honestly grant this one is not mine just using it to farm some quick currency for new league rng tanky should be fine once i get over 4k hp
and with the new non unique helmet from atlas i assume you could make some pretty cool necromancer/minion builds

this, shits fucking great
although it can be a bit too... kiwi flavored for my tastes sometimes. i guess i just prefer some nice old gothic dark fantasy
aussie games just have a totally different atmosphere to them it seems, accents aside even

I can't wait to get my hands on a crystal belt, because i will need every bit of ES i can find.

Also goddamn that chaos damage

i actually just found this one a couple maps ago if you really want it post your id real quick for free of course has no use for me and i doubt anyone will buy it soon just taking up space

whoops was meant to be for you

I don't mind giving you a chaos or something, that looks really damn good.

and i need 10 fucking levels to use it in the first place so yeah.

What league are you on

Atmosphere, build customization, loot variety, combat satisfaction.

the belt is on essence atm been playing that alot but i got some crazy std characters also just spent about 60ex into my ele flicker strike and just got a 5l 6s council i plan on using for a shadow soon and don't trip about paying i get pretty decent cash on this current toon

i.imgur.com/6yB3QZa.gifv

feeling of power, especially in diablo and the like

for all the problems d3 has, I still love slapping on jade harvester build and instagibbing gr 70 or so mobs

How is Flicker Strike in this patch?
Did the multi-core rendering help the lag that would occur?

yeah I feel like it has helped out alot actually i don't make the mistake of accidentally over flickering and jumped on ele reflect elites anymore feels way more spot on now still can be tedious to keep up with though just because you are attacking roughly 20 times a second but still it feels alot more manageable compared to before

My ID is Arkandir
Char name is Caithlin

So where should we do the trade?

Finding that one item or the chance that you could always find it at any time.

PoE is great. I love trying to rush through early game as fast as possible, and then I get to the hard content and I love the tension. The economy is really nice too, and starting fresh and building up currency whenever a league starts feels great. There's heaps of new content added every so often, new uniques and skills make New builds possible and all that. Itemization and character customization are amazing. Game feels chunky as well, and I really like the lore. Plus, not much beats the feeling of seeing an unique drop, even if it's a crap one.

Just don't play scrubcore.

why not

>when you find a yellow diviner's strongbox
>increased quanity of items

>he's never done a line of coke, put some music on full blast, and did an entire hardcore run of D2 in one night

Are you even male?

when i play Grim Dawn as my nightblade/occultist, i have to hit every ability on bar, including the ones given to me by items and potions, constantly.

what you're describing does sound boring, but it isn't describing Grim Dawn, that's for sure.

>tfw no TL3
>tfw the devs went off to make a shitty space game

Standard is pretty much containment. Economy is fucked since items don't leave the game, player base is worse and full of kids. Plus the game is way more fun and gameplay becomes much more deep when you have the possibility of losing your character. Also you'll be laughed at.

RIP orb girls.

I like to go fast and wreck shit.

ARPGs are really the only games that give me that.

Okay wait, did Blizzard get rid of those because they were sexist or some shit?

Creating your own builds and testing how do they fare is fun.
Struggling through content even when odds are stacked against you, killing even bigger and badder big bads is fun.
Accomplishing goals is fun.
Obesrving how powerful your character has gotten over time is fun,
Trading and earning goods is fun.
Gameplay itself is fun however it may not seem like that just from observation.

GGG

And yes.

I've seen some person getting them back by manually unpacking and editing UI overlay files.

numbers go up, monsters explode good.

I've made a braindead leftclicker with only 3 abilities to use and I still have to focus when fighting anything other than trash

They just went for general ancient times atmosphere. You have the Karui barbarians waging wars against Eternal Empire that was heavily inspired by Ancient Rome, and Eternal Empire was build on the remnants of Vaal Empire which is heavily inspired by Aztec civilization. Then there are Maraketh who are basically macedonians, Oriath who are the closest to the medieval era by lore and tons of other tribes and nations that we haven't yet seen. The lore is quite crisp and well written and generally a good read even for those who haven't played the game.
pathofexile.gamepedia.com/History_of_Wraeclast

There are also Path of Exile comics which are direct prequels to the game's Acts 3 and 4 and they explain pretty well how the continent went to shit this time.

Never understood why ARPGs stick so close to being Diablo clones. Why not introduce action combat, or god forbid interesting storylines?

>really love PoE but hate how the loot rarity is based around expecting you to trade once you get to higher levels, self found only works for a select number of builds and farming is required to keep up
>PoE also has the magic of making commons extremely useful since you can turn a trash weapon with a high drop rate into an instanuke sword for about ten levels if you get some lucky currency rolls
>go to GD since it's singleplayer focused
>don't have to farm to get decent levelling items so far
>easy respec makes it cheap to streamline your build as you get a better grasp of what you want your character to be
>having a blast even if it's not as complex as PoE and has some of the old cancerous mechanics like commons being totally worthless wastes of RAM
>starting to get nearer to the end
>need skeleton key to get underneath steps of torment
>can't fucking win down there
>have to craft a new fucking key every time I want to retry
>enthusiasm fading fast

I play Diablo 3 so I can only speak for that. Most of the time the combat doesn't take any skill, but it's satisfying to watch a ton of enemies explode at once. It's a relaxing thing to do while listening to music if I'm too tired to play a real game.

Besides that, there's actually a lot of decision making that goes into deciding if a piece of gear is an upgrade or not, as well as how you spend your time and resources. A few wisely made tweaks can make a huge difference. Trying to be more efficient tickles my autism.

It is true that the first act beaches look like typical New Zealand beaches.

Shit genre just like JRPGs.

>JRPG
>genre

They are boring and repetitive, unless you're working toward a specific goal. I used to play a lot of Diablo 2 back when it was one of the relatively few games I owned, so now I'm quite familiar with its workings.

I've been playing it again recently with some friends with the goal of reaching Uber Tristram since I've never done that before. I enjoy planning the different builds for my characters, starting with a magic find spellcaster, doing Countess/Pit/Andariel/Mephisto/Baal etc. runs and upgrading my gear to do those runs faster and more efficiently though one of the highlights with my current characters was when I managed to snatch an Azurewrath for my Paladin from under the nose of a bot leading a full party Baalrun. Once I've done the Ubers I'll probably drop the game again for a long time.

I played through Torchlight once when it came out, and barely got into Path of Exile. Those games feel just boring and repetitive, since I'm not particularly looking forward to anything while I'm playing and I don't feel like researching all the possible loot or ultimate boss encounters.

Blizzard killed this genre with the synergy bullshit in lod. Ironically they brought in a shitton of people to the genre to begin with