This is going to be the game in the series, easily...

This is going to be the game in the series, easily. Ive been watching tons of gameplays on it and it literally looks perfect.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MPPYkehJI0U
youtu.be/QsaygQ3rVYs
youtu.be/F_g-EPqRFe8?t=21m14s
youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
youtube.com/watch?v=VynDxJWZ698
youtube.com/watch?v=DfuaMEQC13Q
youtube.com/watch?v=J9eBLdpRDcQ
youtu.be/TUkJD0Q74pw?t=270
youtube.com/watch?v=wBvbP5nrCS4
youtu.be/OocDpbuc73s?t=8m32s
youtube.com/watch?v=DjewAcBdkHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=l5OxGR8qJnU
youtu.be/zy0Ow8suTFs?t=68
youtube.com/watch?v=2YDYDyjiXxc
youtu.be/TrBqOsGTb-Q?t=1
youtube.com/watch?v=iFLk6nV1TWw
youtube.com/watch?v=eKkOv15EQ8k
youtube.com/watch?v=X_3TWLRbVeQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mW-nMRZGpgA
youtube.com/watch?v=X8VnqFPVyCo
youtube.com/watch?v=kgAZTsQNIZs
youtube.com/watch?v=pDPi_Mc51Ws
youtube.com/watch?v=Tjw670RP_Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=-AK3n-srj5E
youtube.com/watch?v=xJPc-Whu3ak
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>This is going to be the game in the series
Indeed it will infact be a game in the series
Just like every other game in th series

holding out for Knuckles, Knuckles and Knuckles like any sane person

I meant the best game in the series, obviously

>This is going to be the game in the series

Can't argue with that

>Look at this new sonic game
>Its pixels
>In 2016
>...

So Sonic's comeback is going to be something that was good in the 90's? Just make Sonic Adventure 3 please

It's possible. Hidden Palace Zone on Sonic 2 iOS was pretty good, though the boss was awful.

And Mega Man 9 was the best Mega Man game

I'm just worried it will be short compared to 3&K

Project 2017 is still coming.

Its going to be 10+ levels. S3K is a lot shorter once you take out all the shit levels. If studiopolis is the gold standard for mania it already beats 3K

You could have also meant the worst we'll never know

Generations already did the remix thing. Not sure why they're going with it again.

But then, Sonic fans are so autistic that you could just rerelease Sonic '06 and still make money off of it.

Wasn't Sonic 2006 technically Adventure 3? Seemed like they used the same system, anyway. I don't follow the series all that closely anymore so I'm confused.

>Its going to be 10+ levels.
source?

Until they can make an Adventure style game without 2/3rds of the game being bullshit filler, without the wonky ass camera, and without the slippery as fuck controls, I'd rather them just not bother

Really the only things I liked about the Adventure games were the aesthetic and soundtrack. Everything else was kind of shitty

Oh lord here we go

I agree but Adventurefags always have some reason why no other Sonic game counts as Adventure 3

Im just so excited for it i couldnt even type what i wanted right

Yes the rehashing stuff is the worst part of the game, but if theyre expanded like green hill then it will be a minor flaw at worst. If this does well, there will be a mania 2 with all new levels i bet

They said its longer than generations, which was 9 levels. So at least 10. My guess is probably 12, 6 old 6 new

The jury's still out on this one, Studiopolis looks like a really bad level to take slowly and calmly explore, a little too fustrating to get on some parts
Green Hill is looking literally perfect though and i hope later levels borrows more from it

It's not just a remix though, stop getting your information from shitty game journalists.

The fact that its another OLD SONIC and new sonic pairing is already a let down...
SA 1 was really bad but I cant say SA 2 was bad at all except for those awful CG cutscenes which dont really take away from the game itself.

Probably because Generations was the best thing they'd done with Sonic since...I don't know, the first Rush? The reception was so strong compared to their recent releases that they might have figured a new Sonic game would do better with a similar style

Probably part of the same reason classic sonic is in 2017

Good, you can play all the other 2D sonics if you want to go slow since they are slow games for the most part. The reason mania looks as good as it does is because theres a lot more free fall/speed sections

They look like combinations of 2 and CD levels to me. They have all the huge collections of stage elements like CD but also more obvious paths and lines like Sonic 2 stages. Could be the best of both worlds if I'm optimistic

If it was then it wouldve been called Sonic Adventure 3 and its nothing like the first two games at all.

Sonic 2006 is Sonic 2006.

Didn't mean to start any shit, I was genuinely curious.

Evidence is everything user
Do you have any PROOF you meant to say best

So how long do you think the CE is going to be available for?

Can't get my hands on it right now but damn I want that staute

>and its nothing like the first two games at all.

>Hub world
>power ups that allow you to reach/access new stages from said hub
>Multiple characters with different playstyles
>Attempt at a serious story
>Similar level design

>and nothing like the first two games at all

I honestly have the same feeling I did when I was a little kid waiting for Sonic 3 to come out. Not even the most cynical Cred Forumsirgin can ruin my hype

>This is going to be the game in the series, easily.
Yeah, I can see that happening.

Let's not get too excited though, Sonic 4 was also the game in the series.

Some people save ms paint collages and screencaps of twitter posts to post them in these threads

I am not one of those people

Depends how much longer the demand is in for. All 3 versions are in the top 20 on amazon, but i think the xbox one version might be past it by now

Then I'm afraid the defense lacks evidence to substantiate thier claim
PENALTY!

>Human interaction and not just on the sidelines
>EGGMAN IS 100% DIFFERENT
>No character specific modes for all characters
>Shit music
>Everyone likes SA

I think unleashed is the best 3D game because it takes elements from adventure while also being the mother of 3D boost gameplay and having the best modern stages yet despite being the first game to use the style. Thats my thoughts on the whole adventure 3/3D game thing. I hope 2017 is as epic feeling as unleashed was, story and setting wise at least, and that the stages are equal to or better than unleasheds. Chances are it wont be though, so mania is going to be the better sonic game next year

This is like saying Chaotix is a proper Sonic 4. Or that Sonic 4 was a proper sequel in general.

They took a similar system and style but changed everything to be 100x worse. Character controls and level design similarities are only superficial at a glance with the adventures. Character physics and object collision simply don't work well at all and then they went an built a game around it. Rolling is absolutely nonexistent and the spindash and never beneficial.

Compared to the like 2 (One of which is Green Seen it 100 times Zone) we saw of Mania so far?

Really if it was that easy to make a GOAT Sonic game we'd be swimming in the damn things. That's what I thought when I played Episode 2 and that game was full of problems.

>Hyping a Sonic game to "best in the series" levels

What could possibly go wrong?

I hyped Colors and really enjoyed it

I hyped Generations and loved it

Those 2 look as good, better in some areas, as hydrocity and ice cap, 3ks best levels. I dont value 3K that highly as many other fans do. The few good levels it has are brilliant, but everything else is complete shit. 2 and CD are more my style and mania looks like a fusion of them, thats why its perfect to me

Who else fucking loved Lost World? I really hope the 3D new game tries to go off of that instead of boost gameplay.

>Human interaction and not just on the sidelines
So?

>EGGMAN IS 100% DIFFERENT
And?

>No character specific modes for all characters
SA2 also didn't have character specific modes

>Shit music
It was alright

>Everyone likes SA
What? Did I just take the bait?

Sudiopolis looks fucking amazing though, and the remade levels actually look developed enough

Please Taxman add Ice Cap Zone

That's not what OP is saying, though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

We hate NEW THINGS

Im listing why Sonic 06 was bad Come on keep up

Sonic 06 has not memorable moments that other people havent created themselves which is just memes of how shit the game was.

You think of SA you think of the terrible voice acting as tails crashes into the beach.

You think SA2 you think of the fucking badass air drop from a fucking helicopter and streetboarding the city WITH the music.

You think Sonic 06 you think shit.

It's not a very good game but I think the gameplay style has potential to be good if they went and refined it, so I wouldn't mind a sequel.

I liked the general concept of Lost World's mechanics. As in, toggleable runs speeds via the shoulder buttons, and the parkour element

The actual implementation of those mechanics, and the level design those mechanics were housed in were awful though

Quite possibly the best sounding 3D Sonic game on paper.

One of the most bungled when it came to execution.

Please tell me someone patched the game or fixed it for PC. As much work as the fandom does with the classic games, you'd think someone would take the initiative to fix '06.

>half of the game is rehashes from old stages
It was fine in Generations because it was an anniversary game. They have no excuse this time

Why should anyone bother, the game will remain bad no matter what you do. The only solution would be to scrap everything and start over, and by that point you might as well ignore Sonic 06 and make another game entirely.

Sonic Mania is an anniversary game too.

>Romhac Mania

If only all romhacks were as good as this one

>romhack
joking or no?

Whitehead Engine is a recreation of the physics in the original games. Either way romhack my fuckin ass

>Shitpost Slut

I didn't even know there was a pc version

Here's your (You), don't spend it all at once

There's really no point. The game's level design is still garbage.

There's one or two dedicated autists doing a unity conversion and copying everything, even the shit that's awful.

Everyone else that's sane has either made joke mods or ported stages or Generations.

youtu.be/MPPYkehJI0U
youtu.be/QsaygQ3rVYs

>it literally looks perfect.
autists will convince themselves this,

>Bitches about Sonic making a game based on early 90s stuff
>Then one sentence later wants a Sonic game based on early 00s stuff

>barneyfag

How does the drop dash work?

you drop
then you dash

Hit jump in midair to charge it and then it automatically happens when you hit the ground. Insta-shield from Sonic 3 is gone

Actually, you can't just hit jump in mid-air to do a drop dash. You have to hold the button until you land

>slut
Stocking is pure, PURE!

All of those slutty lines and that episode where she dated the ghost never happened!

Which is fine since this move makes more sense for sonic

That's good. I haven't played the demo, just read impressions. I was afraid of setting it off accidentally.

Would be nice to have the insta-shield back in some capacity though. Taxman loves extra content so I wouldn't put it past them putting a toggle switch in the Level Select so players can switch between the two moves.

I guess but since the levels look like they have more linear free space, the drop dash will work better with the more open space. If this was sonic 3 where every 10 feet there was a wall or spike or enemy to stop you then thered be no reason to equip it, making the shield better

I really hope Classic Amy is a secret character, I'd just love to play as her for once.

And honestly, who the fuck plays as Tails

For all intents and purposes, Mania will be an letdown.

Not if people keep their expectations in check. I think it will be good, but at the same time, I'm not going to get too hyped, so I can't be dissapointed.

It will be in the top 5 for the series, up there with 2, cd, and unleashed

It looks so fucking good. I'm like 90% hype for it, if only because it's Sonic and there will always be that fear in the back of my mind that it could go horribly wrong somehow.

I want to see what they're going to do with Act 2 of GHZ, since they said Act 1 is going to be the tamest remixed level in the game and it's already pretty wild.

>Not if people keep their expectations in check
Their sonic fans, especially ones whom look down on everything past S3&K, how can they keep their expectations in check, when they think even a 2d sonic engine with poor everything else besides upgraded genesis-era graphics, is somehow one of the greatest games ever made (and no i'm not referring to mania, i'm just stating an example.)

It's close enough to the Adventure games. There were also plenty of changes between Adventure 1 and 2.

Regardless of whether or not it was ever meant to be or if it's ever accepted as such, I'm going to guess 06 scared Sonic team away from ever trying an Adventure style game ever again.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

The only thing they could fuck up is level design.

And music.

The concept was perfectly sound. The execution was where it went wrong. Level design needed a lot more attention and the physics could have been polished just a bit more.

I also hated that how much it tried to be like Mario, especially the generic stage themes.

>and the music
Is this nigga serious?

the only sonic games i enjoyed were 1/2/3 so im excited the sonic mania, the 3d sonics played like shit to me.

It will probably eclusively take place in the cave area and there might be some flooding, making it into a partial water level like many sonic 3 levels

It's cancer like you that ruined sonic.

Just kill yourself, my man.

>There will be some nice CRT filers

So the dithering guy can finally shut the fuck up?

I wish there wasnt mini bosses. Bosses are the worst part of any sonic game. Just want to race to the star/post and get on with it

Literally everything about the game is bad. Fuck, the glitches are like the only way to get any enjoyment out of 06

Once you reach shit like the snowbard levels, you just kind of sit there and say "why? How did this even happen?" Out loud

Yo is that some argento?

anything about this game could suck worse than then wether 06 or boom, but who i'm i to say when the classicfags have criticism immunity.

I don't see the issue with them, the classic bosses were simple, fast & fun to me.

But Classicfags criticize the older games all the time when they're arguing which one is better or worse.

>Snowboard doesn't have physics or auto imput forcing it down the slope
>All movement is caused by analog stick input
>you can just turn around and slide up hills

I still think the very first level's whole SLIDE ACROSS WATER gimmick takes the cake in concepts that don't make sense.

I think they just werent able to finish what they wanted so they just used the slide animation and allowed access to slide on the water. The game was never "made", it was just taped together at the last second. Its amazing it runs as good as it does conisdering how rushed it was

Part of why '06 and Boom sucked so hard are because they were buggy out the ass. This game uses a physics engine we've already seen several older games get ported to just fine and they have an open demo that they show at conventions and such that anyone can play, and I haven't heard of people finding any bugs in them. It's possible for them to introduce bugs between this build and the final, but it's currently looking much better than those two games you mentioned regarding the engine.

And like the other user said, Classicfags can heavily criticize classic games if they prefer one to another. People are heavily analyzing the footage we're getting of this game and nobody's found any red flags, while (or so I've heard, I wasn't paying attention to Sonic at the time) people looked at the two seconds of gameplay footage in Sonic 4's initial trailer and were able to find issues with just that.

I remember that. From the very first trailer, the sega forums blew up with concerns over how it would play, just because sonic went through a twist and wasn't in his running animation yet

Looks like it's better than Sonic 3 and Knuckles, the drop dash instantly makes it better.

>I haven't heard of people finding any bugs in them

The bullet in this clip (21:14)
youtu.be/F_g-EPqRFe8?t=21m14s

Haven't seen people talk about it, the only other big bug is the one-way passageways which have been confirmed to get fixed by Taxman.

Ive also seen sonic randomly go through different layers

>Haven't seen people talk about it
I'm not surprised, it's a very small thing that I'm surprised you even found. They're probably going to fix it, Taxman even compared this to the Simon Wai prototype after all saying glitches are expected.

Here's another glitch with the Moto Bug clipping into the ground.

>They're probably going to fix it
The bullet bug I can look past, it's too obscure to even reliably recreate, I just wanted to shed light that there are actually a number of notable bugs in the available footage.

Out of them I think the passageways are fundamentally the biggest. The rest can be chalked up to visual glitches, as long as the don't have an impact on gameplay.

Your image looks to be a collision error, substantial enough to affect gameplay though.

Do they finally fix the shitty camera and the way Sonic is located on the screen ?

What do you mean?

Who else replaying all the 2d classics to get ready for Mania? On CD right now and my order has changed quite a bit

CD>3&K>2>1

Surprised to see that since CD is hated for it's level design & Wacky Workbench. Personally for me it's:

3&K>CD>1>2

I've never been fond of Sonic 2, no idea why, I think it's just the Zones that uninterested me.

How is that even an issue in HD?

With CD the levels are over too quick if you just speed run through them.

The fun is inexploring them and trying to destroy the machine generators and Metal Sonic holograms.

My order has pretty much turned on its head.
Used to be 2=3>CD>1
Now it's like 1>CD=2>3

For me its 2 > CD > 3 > 1 > K

I know, it's what I like about it a lot, but even with that in mind the level design is still bashed on. I can partially understand but it's still fun.

Yeah. You saved me having to articulate my own feelings towards the game, they're pretty much just what you posted.

>not slut with no ending

this

/thread

I'm assuming the bullet was just bouncing off the shield in a certain way.

inb4 it's canceled and we realized Sanic will never come back evar.

As long as it has a boss at the end of every level, it should satisfy the expectations of a full sanic game. How long were the other ones typically?

Sonic 2 had 10 zones, Sonic 3 had like 25 levels (But had Chuckles story too many of which had new routes)

I think Sonic Advance 3 was the longest Sonic game since then (7 zones with 3 acts a piece) but everything else has been short as fuck. Why the fuck are SEGA so afraid of a long game?

Yeah, I don't think it's a bug. Projectiles are supposed to bounce off the elec shield. The bouncing just seems to work a little different.

But yeah, a Sonic game with a playable beta allowing bugs to be fixed before release.
THE
ABSOLUTE
MAD
MEN
!
Surprised Sega has allowed something so sane.

Does it have any 3D levels like going down the tunnel or the one where you take 90 degree turns until you die?

>bugs to be fixed
Found and fixed is what I was going for there.

Hadn't considered the effect shields have on projectiles since that's only a trait found in S3&K.
I wonder if that trait is available with the regular shield too or only with the elemental ones.

There is not a single main series Sonic game with bad music.

yeah theres special stages, no one knows what they are though

It'll probably have something similar, we still haven't seen what they look like yet. They're going to be hidden around the stage like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles but the demo only has wire lines for them & are inaccessible at the moment.

Except for all the ones released in the 21'st century.

kill yourself, for real. sa1 and unleashed have the best soundtracks in the series.

Sonic levels are expensive to make nowadays because they're really detailed and cover a lot of ground.

Top video looks pretty good.

Seriously? It's practically a remake of adventure 1

I don't get it, why you post a smug power puff girl while calling a game perfect?

I mean the elemental shields were only in 3&K(not counting the 1 and 2 ios ports) and they had it there though I'm not sure if the effect was present in the separate versions. And I doubt regular shields would since I think they were harmed by projectiles.

Electric shield always reflected projectiles, that ain't no bug.

man the adventure level design with the boost engine is so boring

The real problem isn't even just the boost speed alone, but also how fucking far the homing attacks reach in boost gameplay.

>EVER thinking Sonic 4 was good
>or ever promising to begin with
That was your first mistake.

I don't see the point of even returning the classic shield if we're already getting the clearly superior elemental ones.

Once you get a elemental shield you can't do the Drop-Dash (like in Sonic 3 & KnuckleS), so having the standard shield could still be useful as a normal extra hit & still maintaining the move.

>sa1
Released in the 20'th century, I wasn't having a go at it. It was the last Sonic game I've played with genuinely memorable music.
>unleashed
Have not played this one. But that Rooftop Run song every likes is mediocre as.

Someones been playing this piece of shit, I see. _____Glad I pirated it._____

I suppose. Shields in 1, 2 and CD really only served the purpose to help you maintain rings for special stages.
In S3&K ring count lost that purpose so they retooled shields to give mechanical advantages.

With Mania returning to the S3&K format I'd say the classic shield is redundant but what with the drop dash I guess it still serves some purpose.

dont spend this you all in one place son

Sonic 2006 was a reboot, sega has said so themselves, but the real 3rd sonic adventure was on the gameboy (i think)
Sonic adventure 3 was mostly wanted because of the chao system.

It looks like crap, just a remake with a few extra bits.

Why is ANYBODY excited for this?

Why is it a let down? sonic generations was pretty damn good imo

I'm not retarded so I hated Lost Cause.

wtf i hate sonic now

Oh yeah, because we need ANOTHER Sonic 06 or Boom on our hands, rather than just going back to 2d so we can actually tell control the little blue soap.

>That's what I thought when I played Episode 2 and that game was full of problems.
good thing Mania isn't by shitty DIMPS

>adventure fags
Only cut fags are more delusional.

Yeah it's two guys I sort of trust and a fangame team which fell apart after a single demo.

But results speak for themselves.

>a fangame team which fell apart after a single demo
He doesn't know about LOst

>adventurecucks

>people still trying to detract Sonic Mania
>specifically adventurefags and nintencucks mad about PM/AM2R again

Why you guys gotta use her as reaction image....
Now I gotta go fap

I don't give a fuck about this but this is How we can save Sonic

>SA3
>Chao Garden with online mode (Race, Karate etc)

Chao slave racing was THE SHIT

Nobody asked you, adventurecuck. Mania already saved the series.

Fuck SA3, just give me a new Chao Garden.

>praise Mania
>posts RLM shit while at it

friendfags never stop believing

>NA children are waking up for school
I'm sorry for the tykes eurofriends.

Great shitpost, adventurecuck.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles exist
It will be better than CD and 2 tho

DELET

i hope Mania has a Chao Garden mode to spite the adventurecucks

similar to Chao Garden Advance but with even more features beyond SA2's Chao Garden

you know what i meant

youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw

Reminder

Adventure fags need to go

What kind of madness is this.
Using Hello Kitty instead of Sally Acorn

I hope it doesn't. Don't even throw them the Chao bone.

Maybe imply or tease it over Twitter, then don't deliver.

>disagree on their bandwagon opinion on Sonic
>still like Red Letter Media
not that hard adventurecuck

>Not knowing sonic x hello kitty is the new otp

t. comicuck

>Caring about Birthday Boy and AIDS Moby's opinions on video games

Comics have always been shit. Hope this latest lawsuit finally ends it

better

>throw up a mock-up screenshot
>put together by a couple of spriters from dA
>get sent privately to the sonic twitter
>watch the fireworks from adventurefags
>"it's clearly cut content guys! It's real!"

We need Tracker on this shit

>literally the best possible outcome for Sonic's 25th anniversary games and people just use it as a vehicle to shitpost

>Classic Sonic teaming up with Modern Sonic
Project 2017 is going to be a sequel to Generations if anything.

They're either utterly misinformed, trolls or friendfags.
There's no in between.

Friendfags?

Adventurefags and comicfags under one banner.

They just want as much cluttered dialogue, character interaction and convoluted stories as possible.
Gameplay is just a meme according to them.

case in point

just a little reminder

Oh. So the worst kind of people then

it's just nintendofags upset that they aren't getting a good Mario game

this reeks /sthg/ doesn't it

Megman 8 was the best. ONly the wily level was bullshit.

/sthg/ was shitting on that user if I remember correctly

it's Cred Forums pretending to be /sthg/

The red flags raised make it kind of obvious.

Most of /sthg/ echo his sentiment of bringing comicshit into games, they just have the self awareness to realize it won't happen.

Still lack the self awareness to laugh at their own fanbase.

you're still on that huh

Still the truth.

whatever you say, champ

It's honestly amazing (and surreal) to not only be THIS optimistic and hyped for a new Sonic game, but to also see pretty much everyone else being the same way:

youtube.com/watch?v=VynDxJWZ698

I'm surprised that Sega finally learned that all they need to do for a good Sonic game is to hire fans and just make a game exactly in the style of a Genesis game.

We lucked out, imagine if they got LakeFeperd

Yeah, a game blindly aping the old classics sure is going to best those classics.

> bosses are the worst part of any sonic game

i have never, ever, in any of the sonic arguments seen anybody rip on sonic 3 era bosses. this is new to me,

IM READY

came here to post this
fuck that guy

if anything, I at least trust Stealth

never followed Taxman's work too much, but Stealth is someone who deeply understands how Sonic and Sonic games work on a technical level

The Sonic 3&K bosses aren't too terrible, but Sonic games have never been known for their bosses.

the biggest issue is that most of them are "bop on them for like 6 seconds because their invincibility period is too short, done"
and if they do have a reasonable invincibility time, their attacks aren't terribly varied or interesting

whats wrong after the sequel is good

Reminds me of the inactive gem routes in Crash 2 and 3.

>you'll never be as fake as this user.

fuck youre gay

I prefer when the bosses are a cake walk over "take 20 seconds to get a single hit in". Better yet if some skill is required for a quick win, as long as they don't drag down gameplay, u feel me?

Sometimes I wonder if the lame bosses in classic Sonic games are lame because the designers were lazy or because Sonic's momentum-centered gameplay style isn't well-suited for them.

Here's where someone replies snarkily and says that Adventure 1 and 2 were both 2/3 bullshit filler.

They were though

when I replay SA2 I mostly just play the speed stages and Chao gardens
just bring back Chao Gardens Sega it was so good

50% of this post goes completely lost on adventurefags.

Should have been a new IP the gameplay was very un-sonic. Having speed be a toggle fundamentally misunderstands sonic. It's different than boost because at least that was metered.

>fundamentally misunderstands sonic
What are the fundamentals of Sonic?

Sonic Advance 1 and 2 was basically the same thing for that
>play Neo-Green Hill Act 1
>magnet bubble the entire stage 10 times as Knuckles
>come home with 19980 rings for my chao.

they should implement it in Project 2017 at this point

who needs to explain that when you have this
see

>>people still trying to detract Sonic Mania
maybe its because the game looks derivative as all fuck, and the people whom gives way too much of an shit about it are retro sonic autists and retro sonic autists ALONE.

>Mania already saved the series.
>Because me and other Autistic Sonic Fans say so!!!!!

The problem is that everything was poorly implemented. It COULD have been good, but it was botched, where adventure 1+2 succeeded

What are the fundamentals of that webm?
Momentum?

>It's honestly amazing (and surreal) to not only be THIS optimistic and hyped for a new Sonic game,

>optimistic and hyped for an derivative 2d platformer that autistic genesis fags are only excited about, under the pretense everyone is excited about an otherwise uninteresting game.

FortyKeks

laziness

a good Sonic boss would probably involve using the environment to reach him, and not be limited to the size of the screen
Advance 2 actually had a decent idea with its running bosses, but I dunno what should be done to fix it, they're not that great.

Really, yeah. Terrain affects Sonic's movement. Sonic's highest speeds are attained by skillful use of terrain.

>I'm surprised that Sega finally learned that all they need to do for a good Sonic game is to hire fans and just make a game exactly in the style of a Genesis game.

chalk it up with the other autism on this board whom are otherwise derivative platformer. sonic racing transformed was the overall best game we got to that point, and sonic mania will hardly be anywhere near that game because its looks by the number-kinds of derivative.

Sonic CD had some fun bosses also

>Sonic's highest speeds are attained by skillful use of terrain.
That's not true, his highest speeds are roller coaster sections placed by the level designers.
Except for games like Advance 2 where you can build enormous amounts of speed without the help or regardless of level design.

Also, claiming 'momentum based movement' a fundamental of Sonic doesn't apply to all of his games, at least not in the way it does to the classics. It's fine if you prefer the those games but there's a spectrum of what people come to define Sonic gameplay to be.

Lost World was clearly an attempt at something different but many fundamentals of Sonic pertains with it. There's still momentum based movement in other parts of the game iirc cause I haven't played a lot of it.

to maintain his high speed through out the level you have to use the terrain the roller coaster sections only give you that speed for a short amount of time
>Except for games like Advance 2 where you can build enormous amounts of speed without the help or regardless of level design.
I always hear good things about the advance series I should really emulate them

>for me, it's about exploring

Most people want to find the fastest route through the level. Sort of the idea behind Sonic.

those people don't like Sonic CD which is why opinions on the game are usually mixed

When i saw that pic at first i thought it was sonic in a wheelchair

then i thought about how fun a wheelchair sonic game would be.

the only terribly good bosses in CD were the Wacky Workbench one and the Quartz Quadrant one
they could have been better too

the Metal Sonic race is a cool idea, but Stardust Speedway's layout is awful
and then the rest (retarded pinball, the lame first boss that you pretty much can't get hit by, the last boss) aren't that great at all

>to maintain his high speed through out the level you have to use the terrain the roller coaster sections only give you that speed for a short amount of time
That's not universal, some stages only use roller coaster sections to build up speed, launching you onto an otherwise unreachable platform or passage.

The attraction of Sonic games for me were never the "lol speed" meme, it was its aesthetics and philosophy on momentum platforming. Momentum can grant you speed, which I appreciate, but it's not fundamentally necessary.
Like you say, skilled players are rewarded by being able to go fast. Ironically I enjoy taking it slow, unless the game funnels me into a speedy section.

The philosophy of 1, 2 and CD is essentially to slow down and assert yourself, otherwise you'll run into an obstacle and loose your rings which are necessary for the good ending. Again, skilled players who know the layout are able to utilize speed, but who can be considered skilled on their first playthroughs?

tl;dr don't gotta go fast

>Sort of the idea behind Sonic.
Read my post.

I think the bosses served fairly fine as challenges. Thinking back I find a surprising amount of straight up puzzle bosses or shit like this

youtube.com/watch?v=DfuaMEQC13Q

not much of a boss, but holy shit it's a 10/10 for the whole "whoa" effect of that entire scene.

You're going to call a Sonic game releasing in 2017 as the very best game to ever bear the name?

His color is wrong, one flaw right there.

but that color looks better

the flaw is gone

No it fucking doesn't. Sonic being a deep blue is what makes his color eye-catching.

Generations and Unleashed didn't have physics momentum, and that didn't stop people from liking them, though.

Adventure 1 and 2 had physics momentum and not many people liked them.

Stop forcing your video everytime someone mentions a game you don't like.

I like the new color better

I hope they nerf the boost in Project 2017.

Sonic CD colors are the best.

what's the consensus on Sonic Heroes? how is it considered compared to the other 3D Sonic games?

That would be great. I really dislike the boost button.

I still prefer the way Sonic Advance 2 handled high speed.

One of the worst Sonic games.

No troll.

>Freedom Fighters
The closest you're gonna get is Jaleel White voicing classic Sonic in Project 2017.

Pretty good.

That went well last time

Good idea but falls apart in execution

Eddie Lebron wanted him to sound serious which was a bad idea.

The shitty controls ruin it for me, which really doesn't have much to do with the implementation of its ideas.

>Ive been watching tons of gameplays on it

Why do people do this? Spoiling the game for yourself.

I enjoyed it well enough with Team Sonic, but then they wanted me to play slight variations of the same stages three more times just to unlock the final boss. Music was pretty good, though not the vocals

>2 acts
>one of which Green Hill Zone
>haven't seen that one before
I think I'll manage.

So this won't be a groundbreaking Sonic game that will redeem all the sins of the past fifteen years?

>people expect this

>not many people liked SA1 and 2

What planet are you living on? People loved those games and still do.

Revealing two acts won't come in the way of my overall enjoyment of it.

Watching gameplay footage is more to ensure that the game isn't suffering from bugs and whatnot.
People are too shit to take new paths anyway so we're just watching the same 10 minutes of stages played by different people.

If he added Ice Cap Zone, he wouldn't be allowed to use the original music because of Jewish copyright reasons with Micheal Jackson. He would have to have the Sonic and Knuckles Collection version of the song.

And those people are the FUCKING CANCER we need to cut out of this fandom.

Well, I don't really know. I have seen people saying they are good or not. Maybe they have mixed reception or something.

I remember people saying the exact same thing about 4.

>I-It'll be different this time guise, i s-swear!

He's not wrong. Difference being that very early on there was nothing but the teaser having been shown. It literally lived on hype alone.

Mania is being flaunted every possibility they get so I think we're safe in trusting gameplay to live up to snuff this time.

It literally will.

You don't need to provoke Sonic fans. Do they make your gaming experience worse by continuing to anticipate new Sonic games?

I remember massive criticism every step of the way after the Sonic 4 graphics were shown.

SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOM SONIC BOOM

TROUBLE KEEPS YOU RUNNING FASTER

What are you on about? People bitched about these few seconds of gameplay right away.

TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR
TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR
THE POWER IS IN YOUR MIND
THE SAVE THE PLANET AND CONQUER TAAAIYAAAAYEEEHM

Underage pls go

why the fuck is this game being released in 2017? you'd think with those god awful graphics it would be out already, how fucking long could it possibly take

I prefer the crush 40 version

Shantae's been in development since like 2013 and it looks like a Flash game.

be honest you can do better than that

Not him but that's not a defense, that's just deflection.

how is it possible to be this fucking shit at a sanic game, what the fuck is this guy doing.

>Polygon
I wonder...

So what does he want? For them to upgrade the graphics?

He wants to shit on the game, who cares?
I wouldn't want drawn HD graphics or 2.5 over what we're getting anyway.

why are you falling for such obvious bait

fuck what anyone says, its fun, and the ost is top tier

>Sonic is such a shitty franchise that people are actually looking forward to a romhack

You can't make this shit up.

>Cred Forums is such a shitty board that people still post the romhack bait and it'll still get 5+ (You)'s
I probably could make this shit up

But who's the retard? The baiter or the baitee?

what character do you plan to use first

Good question. I think it's the baiter.

Call me a loser but I kind of wish it's like Sonic Advance where you have to progress through the game as Sonic to unlock the other two.

Sonic+Tails, then Tails, and then Knuckles. The usual.

The bait is strong with you.

Still not fallin for it tho.

Both, obviously.

Personally I think it's pretty stupid to reply to bait, none the less 5 people.

No offense.

Sanic.

First Sonic

Then Sonic again

And if no other character need completion for unlocks, Sonic

He has a point, though. Just make Sonic Adventure 3 and get Whitehead's input on how to make it not-shit.

Always Sonic first.

>The Taxman meme
I highly doubt Whitehead, or any of the Mania crew, give half a shit about Adventure.

They down for that classic shit mang

>literally the best thing to happen to Sonic for over a decade
>salty Nintendrones have to come into every Mania thread and false flag as hyper-autistic Adventure fans and classic haters because they can't stand seeing the Sonic fanbase genuinely excited for something
Cred Forums really is the worst sometimes

>Just make Sonic Adventure 3
Sonic 06?

Sanic
Then I'll start missing the insta-shield and pick chuckles

Then I'll realise that his paths are fucking shit and I'll switch back to sanic because tails is ez modo for plebs.

I am a Nintendo fan and I can't wait for Sonic Mania on PC.
Finally I can play with Knuckles in a proper Sonic game again.

>implying bantz between fanbases is a bad thing, none the less the worst
Get out of your room more often user.

>the Sonic fanbase

Please, a lot of these people are just fairweather friends who will go back to calling Project Sonic 2017 Sega's continued attempt to drag the corpse of the franchise through yet another gimmick-filled drudge while the diehard lot convinces themselves it's something more than mediocrity.

One of the major problems with the Adventure series (other than organizing the gameplay in the worst way possible) was the level design. Scripted shit everywhere, when you deviated from the script you tended to fall into a bottomless pit.

>bantz
cancer
>none the less
I don't think you're using that phrase correctly at all.

>being excited for a $60 dollar romhack

>>>/global/rules/2

user please.

level design for the speed stages were mostly good

Everyone says that.

I think they were okay but could be a little more platforming-oriented/less reliant on homing jumps.

But as far as being entertaining they delivered.

What I just said was in regard to the speed stages.

>$60 for a 2D digital download
You don't really believe this do you, it's just bait. Or do you come from some poor cucked country that always gets games overpriced? Australia, is that you?

>it's just bait
>replies anyway

>fairweather friends
Hello Unleashedfag

The game will be $20 at most.

Of course that makes the markup margin for the LE pretty fucking extreme.

it might not be $60, it most definitely will be overpriced to fuck though

if its anything higher than $20 i'm torrenting

I get bored easily, it's more fun to give the (You)-hunters what they want and then see just how retarded they'll get with it

>it literally looks perfect.
There's like a million romhacks that look just as good, if not better than this.

No there aren't.

I actually like Sonic 3 Complete. It's a pretty good ROMhack.

Of course it just builds on another game but it's thorough.

>tee lopes doing the soundtrack for an official sonic game

Yes, but as you said, it builds on another game. What original romhack looks better than Mania? What romhack attempts to look like a 32X/Saturn game?

I bet you can't count 10 off the top of your head.

inb4 a list straight off of Retro.

music sounds great so far

youtube.com/watch?v=J9eBLdpRDcQ

It looks so fucking cheap.

>Just make Sonic Adventure 3 and get Whitehead's input on how to make it not-shit.
>how to make it not-shit.
Don't make Adventure 3.

Ever see that guy making a S3&K remaster with UE4?

fuck you I want more Chao Garden

Straight from the meme man himself

3D Sonic before the advent of the boost button was better.

>Adventurefags care more about some shitty side game more than the actual game itself
Go buy a fucking tamagotchi then goddamn.

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles started the pointless character bloat trend that plagued the series

It looks like shit.

Not really no. Pre-boost 3D Sonic was full of slippery, glitchy ass games and spin dash was even more broken than boost (especially in Adventure 1).

>spin dash was even more broken than boost
>implying that's a bad thing

Once you start getting used to the jank in that game it becomes insanely fun.

Pinball physics. Sonic is a pinball inspired platformer.

Levels are twice as long as they should be and the controls are way too sensitive. Honestly if they fixed that it'd be a fine game.

Chao are cuter

More or less this 2 wasn't really that great desu.

I didn't like CD from what little I played but I probably just didn't get it.

>instead of properly designing the game around it just allow it to completely ruin any sense of level design and difficulty

Sonic CD is all about exploration and physics it's a lot of fun

The boost button just makes everything drawn out and boring since you can plow through the environment. Plus hitting walls kills the mood.

I liked just running, is that so bad?

There are so many things wrong with Adventure and you complain about the one aspect that makes it fun.

>gameplay is a meme

>history revisionism
MUH GREEN EYES

yes.

then don't use the boost problem solved

The spin dash is great in the Adventure games, fuck you. It functions just like the Genesis games. You use it on slopes and gain a ton of height and distance and use it for speedrunning stages.

If Sonic Adventure 2 was the beginning of the end, then Sonic Heroes was the end itself. The Adventures were glitchy and flawed as fuck but they at least felt like they had some heart and soul put into them. Heroes not only suffers from many of the problems that the Adventures had, but it also felt incredibly "safe" and by-the-books, AND it introduced many problems of its own. And don't even get me started on the controls, the shiny characters, or having to complete every level (many of which were too long/repetitive in the first place) four times to get the ending.

Basically, it's shit. Still had good music tho.

>It functions just like the Genesis games.
Its significantly faster than the Genesis games. It's more like Classic Generations.
Spindash off a ramp and you've skipped half the level.

Adventure was never fun.
>tails is sonic ez mode as it gives you shit loads of shortcuts and cuts out half of the stage
>spindash allows you to ignore everything
>scripted segments everywhere for sonic
>reusing bosses
>amy being slow as fuck and is just slower sonic stages with the gimmick of a faggot chasing you
>Knuckles treasure hunting that is there just because
>big the fucking cat
>started the trend of makjng super sonic only playable for the final boss
Only good thing about adventure is it's music and that gamma was kinda cool

Show me one example where that is true.

A single one will please me.

>but it also felt incredibly "safe" and by-the-books
What the fuck am I reading? How is completely changing up the formula from Adventure to the team mechanic "Safe"? It's the fucking opposite. They tried a new gameplay style. It only partially worked. End of story.

comfy as fuck

>and he's hyped for sticker star 2 and mobile version of the worse NSMB game (NSMB2)

I think it's much worse than the Adventure games, just dosen't feel right (I do have PS2 version though) and the way it's structured with the different teams doing the same levels is weird and boring. Also super glitchy and slippery, and shiny shine graphics.

>the Gamma meme
His gameplay was worst second to Big.
Even Amy and Knuckles actually control like a Sonic game should, even though Amy is slow as molasses.

The most fun part about Adventure is speeding around with the spin dash, mostly because it lets you go fast and reach high heights you otherwise wouldn't.

Shit on the game all you want but at least acknowledge the one part that had savorable gameplay.

youtu.be/TUkJD0Q74pw?t=270

Look how high it launched him.
That wouldnt have happened in Genesis. He would have gone maybe half as high.
I'm not saying it isn't fun but it sure as hell is broken.

High standards you got there

Why do the Game Grumps have such a hateboner for Sonic?

Did he skip half the level? That isn't even a level but a hubworld, and even then, he didn't cover even a 10th of it.

Your argument is moot.

I said kinda cool as in his character was interesting not his gameplay.

No spindash was fucking cancer in adventure and misses the point of spindash in classic entirely. It's trash just like the rest of adventure

I don't even understand what possible reason they would have to complain about this. Like if you didn't like it, why even say anything? Fucking 12 year olds and their hate sonic meme is half their audience I guess.

>Game Grumps

Clickbait reasons

Shitstorm trash = more views on their youtube

Because hating Sonic classic or modern is now considered hip. Kotaku, gametrailers when they were alive, red letter media, polygon and many others all shit on the original trilogy. Yes even s3&k

>Sonic's ghost NTR'd Tails

Holy shit Kitty really does get around.

>Giving the first level a checkerboard pattern despite it not really working on organic rock or in a 3D environment in general
>Ripping off the Sonic 2 Special Stages but completely misunderstanding what made them good
>Bringing back Special Stages at all, after they had seemingly moved past that
>Throwing in a kinda wonky 2P mode just because it worked well in SA2/B
>Bringing back literally every fucking character they could think of, from Big to Metal to Shadow to Chaotix
>Not too much story, the classic fans will hate that! But the little plot we do put in will be edgy and nonsensical anyway because why not :^)
>Making us play through everything four times, it's just like the classics! only not
And so on, and so on. Maybe I used the wrong wording, but nearly every single design decision made for that game (and that's before even getting into the core gameplay itself) felt like they were trying to tread lightly and play it bland to appeal to as many Sonic fans and newcomers as possible. The actual end result was that it generally felt stale and dumb.

I suppose the better way of putting it is, they tried to appeal to both classic and Adventure fans (and newcomers) but made such a wonky mishmash that it appealed to very few from either demographic.

I'm not going to search through hundreds of playthrough vids to find someone using the spindash to skip a level with ease.
And using a speedrun video wouldnt be good because they also try to break the physics and flat out glitch out the game to get to the end as fast as possible.
This video at least shows the insane height and distance you can cover with spin dash which was my point.

How exactly does it miss the point?

What you're saying isn't even applicable, there are too many variables at play. Level design and translating 2D gameplay into 3D gameplay mostly.

Now I'm curious what you consider "the point" of it being, other than giving Sonic a burst of speed.

>i'm not going to provide proof to strengthen my claim
Great argument, is it now we'll resort to shitposting and shitflinging.

it amazes me that people still watch this after Jon left

Tails is my favorite but I'm going with Sonic first since he's the "default" when it comes to level design most likely. Best to play through the game with him, and see what extra goodies and side areas they put into the stages for Tails &Knuckles.

aahahah never mind, I guess speedrun videos do work. This guy's not even abusing glitches, all he does is just spindash.
youtube.com/watch?v=wBvbP5nrCS4

Can't tell if this thread makes me love or hate Sonic more than I already do.

If I made a game with traits from both sonic 3 & knuckles AND sonic adventure 2: battle into a clusterfuck of entertainment, do y'all think it would make too much money?

Like, this guy needs to be killed, money?

Honestly, as a Classicfag, the Chao Garden was the only worthwhile part of the Adventure games (and SA2B had the only worthwhile Chao Garden).

Shitty character stages became minigames for the Chao shit, making their shallow gameplay depth acceptable.

Name them. Name three. I know it's bait but I'm looking for ROMhack recommendations from anyone.

>doesn't apply to all of his games, at least not in the way it does to the classics
And that is entirely to the detriment of those other games.

Adventurefag asking a question for Classicfags
which game do you think is better SA or SA2

>Spindash off a ramp and you've skipped half the level
Didn't happen once in that video.

I'm a Boostfag but I preferred Adventure 1.

>what is hyperbole

SA2.

Both games feature really mediocre Action Stages, when compared to the classics. When compared with one another strictly, in terms of Action Stages, 1 does some things better, and 2 does other things better.

SA2 does a better job at compensating for this. The mediocrity of the levels themselves is rendered acceptable by them being relegated to glorified minigames. The Chao Garden (which is much better in 2) is facilitated by playing through Action Stages to acquire rings and animals.

Then there's multiplayer, which takes these shallow games and turns them into Mario Party tier minigames that you can hate your friends while playing.

>If I made a game with traits from both sonic 3 & knuckles AND sonic adventure 2: battle into a clusterfuck of entertainment, do y'all think it would make too much money?
You know, I always felt like they were barking up the wrong tree with games like Generations. Boost Sonic has 2D sections that play like Sonic Rush and 3D sections that play like F-Zero, when it really should be 2D sections that play like S3K and 3D sections that play like (a non glitchy version of) the Sonic Adventure speed stages.

Throw in Tails and Knuckles as alternate characters, put a Chao Garden in there and you're golden. ez money

7 > 2 > 9 > 3 > 6 > 10 > 4 > 1 > 5 > 8 >>> &Bass

I would gladly pay for an 11 if it was as good as 10.

Pana

SA is closer to the classics, so...

That's what you said and what I debated against.
Spindash isn't that strong, and no stage is designed for it be. Some walls are glitchy which allow it and those walls make it more fun.
If you prefer to take the slow platforming path, having the glitchy fast path available doesn't stop you from playing the game how you want.

You could make a fair point but resort to REEEEE IT'S NOT LIKE THE CLASSICS when it pretty much is.

I'm assuming you are so I'd like you to answer what the "point" of the spin dash is.
If you're not him, feel free to answer anyway.

Sonic VR was so fun.

But that game, while fun, doesn't look anything like a real sequel to the Genesis classics. For that matter, it has some incredibly strange design decisions (purple Sonic OC pls go), some poor level layout in places, and incredibly amateurish visuals. It's not even the best MarkeyJester hack, Sonic 1: The Next Level takes that crown. Oh, and most importantly, Sonic Mania is actually going to be finished and released, where most of these hacks stop at 1 or 2 zones.

At least you didn't say Sonic BtS/AtS though. Those games are frequently brought up as some kind of gold standard for Sonic fan content but I personally think they're dog shit. They don't hold up well at all.

On a semi related point, resorting to speedruns is pretty low but if it's allowed:

youtu.be/OocDpbuc73s?t=8m32s
Carnival Night Zone Act 1 completed with 6 spin dashes.
Pretty fucking OP if you ask me.

You said "looks better" and pana graphically is better than mania and it is made to work on a genesis which makes it more impressive.

>Those games are frequently brought up as some kind of gold standard for Sonic fan content but I personally think they're dog shit. They don't hold up well at all.
Fucking this.

Sonic the Next Level. Play that shit, now.

>You said
Actually not the original user but fair enough
>You said "looks better" and pana graphically is better than mania
You actually think Pana looks better than Mania? Did you miss the awful purple OC? Or his shitty Title Screen sprite? What about the overdesigned HUD, the lazy background parallax, the incredibly flat color palette for the snow section?

To each their own, but I find it hard to believe someone could find Pana legitimately better looking than Mania. Crazy old world we live in.

No my point was it was more like Classic Generations Spin Dash than Genesis Spin Dash. See .
Hell, I never even said it was a bad thing.
Also, in that Emerald Coast Speedrun he didn't glitch through walls or anything. Closest thing would be when he spindashed up that cliff.

He's phasing through walls and sticking to the underside of platforms. He's glitching the game and it's not the same thing at all.

I really hope it features Flower Park Zone

>BTS/ATS
Is it only Cred Forums and /vg/ who shit on these games?

I haven't checked save for YouTube comments and Retro but people will lick this Brazilian's grease stained balls as if he is the second coming of good Sonic games.

I'm seriously planning to make an analytic video on why ATS specifically is a terrible Sonic fan game but I just know it would be poorly received.

Spin dashing on surfaces you aren't supposed to is a glitch, it's perfectly the same thing.

Pana does not look better than Mania.

>Spin dashing on surfaces you aren't supposed to is a glitch, it's perfectly the same thing.
I'm not gonna pretend that I know the code of the game, but wall running is a thing in Adventure and it's probably not designated to certain areas but rather if you're going fast enough on a flat enough wall, right?
That's what it seems like anyway.

Don't care about the OC design myself but it has alot of frames of animation running on genesis hardware which makes it beautiful. As for the color pallet in mania I feel like Sonic and his environments just looks so washed out and ugly. Older Sonic titles were much more colorful especially 2 and 3. I prefer pana over to it any day in terms of looks

Mania's sprite has extra frames of animation, not just on sonic, on everything. The enemies, the background objects (green hill's spinning sunflowers for example), shit's smooth as fuck.

>As for the color pallet in mania I feel like Sonic and his environments just looks so washed out and ugly.
It's significantly more saturated than the originals.

I feel like BTS and ATS get a free pass from Sonic autists purely because they're some of the ONLY fangames to ever get seen through to completion. Other fangames and hacks, like Sonic XG, Megamix, Sonic Overture etc. look 10x the game BTS/ATS ever did, but the problem is that they generally remain as glorified demos until the end of time.

They're just respected on principle, basically. Neither of those games would get even a quarter of their current praise if they were made by SEGA themselves or were only half-finished.

Mania has the benefit of not being restricted by genesis hardware. For what pana is it's impressive.

i said 2 and 3. 1's pallet wasn't too great Just look at how colorful sonic is in 3 when compared to mania. Mania washes him out. It looks like someone slapped a shitty crt filter over him

Certain walls, yes.
>if you're going fast enough on a flat enough wall, right?
This doesn't work on all flat surfaces.
This being mostly suspicion on my part but I believe that many of the surfaces you can walk and spin dash on, those which "break the game", weren't supposed to be treadable.

This is evident if you compare how some surfaces are treadable and others aren't, sometimes placed right next to each other, also sometimes outside the geometry.

You might want to call the untreadable surfaces "slippy". Doesn't matter what speed you run into them, you'll never gain traction while on them. I'm arguing that the walls of the mountain in the speedrun video is supposed to be mapped as slippery, forcing you to take the platforms up. I could be wrong though.

t. Somebody who has experimented a lot with the Sonic stages in both my youth and recent times.

Still waiting for the "point" of the spin dash."/spoiler]

Yeah I know that most games use that method to keep players within the boundaries.
But most 3D sonic games are so poorly put together I figured there was a possibility they didn't make that distinction between slippy and non-slippy walls, which is why that guy was able to spindash up that cliffside.

>Other fangames and hacks, like Sonic XG, Megamix, Sonic Overture etc. look 10x the game BTS/ATS ever did
>look 10x the game BTS/ATS ever did
Gotta call this out, BTS/ATS look really good except where they look like shit but play like Flash games. I think presentation is what sells them and people just overlook the shitty level design and engine.

Also, those fucking terrible Flash cutscenes.

Music is really good too.

youtube.com/watch?v=DjewAcBdkHQ
Will we ever see more than tech demo tier content?
It's already better than Lost Cause and Sonic 4.

>BTS/ATS look really good
> I think presentation is what sells them
Really? I personally find the visual direction of those games to be amateur-as-fuck, especially in the standards of the Sonic community where talented artists have contributed to projects like Freedom Planet and, obviously, Sonic Mania

>I figured there was a possibility they didn't make that distinction between slippy and non-slippy walls
I'm pretty sure they could differentiate but I have no ground to stand on. There's a possibility they wanted you to be able to spin dash up that specific wall but the game is so poorly designed and textured that you can't actually read their intention.

I'm not defending Adventure as a whole, it's mostly a nostalgia piece that aged like a corpse, but going back I really only have fun exploiting the spin dash and finding new ways to break the game. If you play by the rules it feels so incredibly stiff.

>sonic romhack that uses the cd jump sounds
Why do people do this? The CD jump sound was fucking tras

The fangame community fucking loves CD for some god damn reason.

CD is a fun game but the jump sound was the worst thing in the game.

No

CD is fucking gorgeous that's why

Would you play it?
youtube.com/watch?v=l5OxGR8qJnU

Yes. I can't fucking stand the jump sounds. Sounds so fucking out of place

youtu.be/zy0Ow8suTFs?t=68

youtube.com/watch?v=2YDYDyjiXxc

Sound way better than youtu.be/TrBqOsGTb-Q?t=1

>doesn't pick up speed
>has a glare at 23 seconds in that is distracting
>balls don't turn into rings after making a complete square at 25 seconds
No

>Sounds so fucking out of place

>Hurr it's not like the sega games that I played first so it's wrong

This is literally you

BTS/ATS at their worst are jarringly cluttered but BTS have better visuals than ATS, in my opinion. Presentation involves more than just stage assets too. Specifically people eat the music up.

To a normie they're just the full package. I guess coming off a Sonic famine they'll look appetizing too but directly compared to the classics they don't hold a candle.

It sounds like the jump audio isn't clear and sounds like it is happening from far away. It's fucking trash and ruins an otherwise good game

It sounds muted.
It's like a "Brwaaap" instead of "Bwoooop"

Don't try same fagging your inferior opinion

>It sounds "muted"

Oh yeah because it's a real life sound that we can compare

Retards.

You can compare it to the original.

The original is shit and cd is better

You go ahead and think that.

I will samefag

I wasn't even in that reply thread but ok

Your picture makes me feel funny user.

>>Circleing squares doesnt convert them to rings

No

Played them all plus the 8-bit games over the past two months.

3&K>CD=2>GG Sonic 1>1>Triple Trouble>GG Sonic 2>Chaotix>Chaos>Blast

Nice baseless assumptions, buzzwords, and attempt at videogames wars you got there.

3&K = CD > 1 >>> 2

Used to be:
3K > CD >> 2 >> 1

Now it's:
3K >> 2 > CD >> 1

CD's ambitious among the classics in its own way, and it's great because of it, but it's got some decent flaws.

Gosh he's so cute.

CD isn't so great. It feels very experimental and rough around the edges as a result.

Are you going to commit a crime?

Of course not, I just never realized how adorable and trustworthy he is.

I think you have a severe case of shit taste user.

>& bass that low

It's no shining example of a megaman game but it sure as hell gets at least a B+ for its visuals and for giving you the option to play as bass. I'd at least put it above 1 and 5, with 8 above it

The real shit is in the DOS games and that one wonderswan version of M&B

No toes.

>cd anywhere near the quality of 3
>1 greater than anything

>7 that high
>2 that high
>6 that high
>10 that low
>8 that low
>& Bass that low

Now I'm terrified.
Next you're gonna tell me there's no hand fingers.

>I'm a casual pleb

>I like games with shit design and has design philosophies that negate having to do 1/3rd of the game

But I don't like Sonic 2

Don't worry user, he has toes

youtube.com/watch?v=iFLk6nV1TWw

9 > 3 > 2 > 10 > powered up > Bass > 8 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 1

this is unsettling

But user, 3&K is the only game of the classics with differing philosophies.

Those voices and obvious foot pandering. And why is it taking place in World 1 of Tropical Freeze?

>get all time stones
>don't have to go to the past or future at all

>not playing hardcore and destroying not just the roboticizer but the Metal Sonic holograms too

Pleb.

The voices are the only redeeming factor. Have you not seen the OVA?

Original is in Russian.
youtube.com/watch?v=eKkOv15EQ8k

Why should I when I get rewarded just the same?

Sonic+Tails. Best friends.

youtube.com/watch?v=X_3TWLRbVeQ

Sonic Rush Adventure was a Sonic Adventure to even give a damn about.

also better level design than Sonic Rush/Colors DS

Please stop being assblasted faggot, it's showing very clearly. That video alone shows why I too dislike the spindash in SA1, you just can use it again IN BETWEEN SPINDASHES. The fuck? You can't do that in the classic games, nor practically any other Sonic game. It's clearly a glitch that wasn't supposed to be there, because it's fucking retarded and breaks the game.
>Spindash off a ramp and you've skipped half the level
>Pic related
>Didn't happen once in that video.
>Cherrypicking; the Post
Just be grateful that he didn't mention Tails, who can just FALL to the goal post in Windy Valley because broken gameplay.

Oh and you too, while I'm at it. God fucking Christ, I hate fucking fanbois to this level of autism. Liking something is one thing, but shitposting that your opinion is right and only right triggers me beyond comprehension. I like Unleashed, SA2, and S3&K, but all of them still has at least 1+ flaw that I can point out and admit is a bad thing or something.

Your entire pretentious post dumbs down to, "Sonic Adventure 2 was SLIGHTLY better because the Chai garden was better and the action stages gave you things for the better chap garden"

I fucking hate classicfags. They are fucking stupid as shit.

SRA was pretty good. Too bad we'll never get more like it.

I miss Blaze.

Definitely an underrated game. Grinding kinda sucks.

Life starts with a sunny day
Let's feel our ocean breathe

That's still not half the level, you can skip portions but that's not due to the spin dash more than level design.
You're still not making a case for yourself.

Also you're wrong again, friendo. You can't use it while spin dashing, when you press the spin dash button during a spin dash you roll out of it into a running state, from which you can spin dash again.

Haven you even played the game?
Smells awfully new around here.

I don't care about Tails or keeping the game intact, spin dash is still fun, eat shit bud

>Sonic Adventure 2 was SLIGHTLY better because the Chai garden was better and the action stages gave you things for the better chap garden
That's literally what I'm saying, yes. The Chao Garden (and multiplayer) compensated for the needlessly shallow Action Stages.

Why does this make you so angry?

>Rush engine
Yeah I love Sonic 4 with boost and grind.
Best Sonic game ever.

Your garbage opinion doesn't make me angry at all. It's your flamboyant attitude that irritates and annoys me.

What is so shallow about them? You are talking as if the stages of the game are an add-on.

>everyone likes this song so i hate it

>when you press the spin dash button during a spin dash you roll out of it into a running state, from which you can spin dash again.

Haven you even played the game?
Admittedly I have only played a little of it when I was a kid, never owned it. But your comment has nothing of value to disprove how broken that fucking is. NO SONIC GAME EVER THAN SA1 DOES THAT. Why? It's fucking broken, it's a broken version of the boost mechanical. I want the spindash to work as intended, you crouch, you spin in place, you go forward, and ONLY when you jump or roll off a cliff/ramp, can you redo and repeat, NOT in between, whether by button press or not.
That user's original point was that the spindash, like everything else in that game, was broken, which it is. Like for Metroid Prime 1, a exploit isn't a feature, it's a broken piece of code. It SHOULD NOT be there.

u sound like a g*y f*ggot

I'm not arguing against the spin dash being broken, read the reply thread you fucking mung.
I'm arguing against it clearing half a stage off a single slope.
I have fun with the spin dash because it's broken.

If you want a fixed spin dash download a fucking mod, I don't give a shit, but be factual when you call it broken. It never does what you claim, you're only bitching because it's different. Besides, I'm pretty sure the spin dash is intended to work the way it does in SA even if it's spammable as shit.

Stop fucking bitching about it you incessant autistic faggot.

Duly noted

>What is so shallow about them?
You mean you want me to post the same tired wall of text about momentum, rolling, sloped level design, multiple characters with slightly tweaked abilities allowing for natural replayability of levels, etc. that was abandoned and replaced by constant scripted sequences through hallways surrounded by bottomless pits, so you can nitpick every word of the post?

Watch some videos instead, they'll show you better than I could tell you (if you're in fact eager to learn, and aren't just a shitposting faggot):
youtube.com/watch?v=mW-nMRZGpgA
youtube.com/watch?v=X8VnqFPVyCo
youtube.com/watch?v=kgAZTsQNIZs
youtube.com/watch?v=pDPi_Mc51Ws
youtube.com/watch?v=Tjw670RP_Pw
youtube.com/watch?v=-AK3n-srj5E

Not him but
>i can't tell you why, here, listen to other people's opinion why, they're probably worth repeating
Low tier argument. If you can't strengthen it with your own words why should we listen to other's? They don't represent you.

Sure, I'll just post the wall of text instead so that every word can be pedantically nitpicked:

---

Contextually, SA1 exists as the followup to 3K. It needs to be compared to it as such.

3K (and the other 3 classics with it) feature a physics engine that is all about momentum. Sonic picks up speed going down hill, loses it going up hill.

It features gameplay that allows Sonic to roll into a ball, which increases the amount of speed he can gain on downward slopes.

The level design added to this by being filled with slopes. Horizontal and vertical momentum can be exchanged for one another.

Other things like being able to retain your height when rebounding off of an enemy or monitor, and moon jumps from jumping at the peak of an incline at a high speed, combine with the above to create a platforming experience that is seamlessly integrated with speed, in a way far more nuanced than "jumping from platform to platform at a high speed". And that's all with a dpad and a single button.

Multiple characters played pretty much identically, save for unique abilities that allowed them to tackle the same levels, but in different ways.

Alternate gameplay styles were relegated to optional bonus stages for bonus points, power ups, and chaos emeralds.

Objectives other than getting to the goal were treated as side objectives (like the Generators in CD, or the slots in 2).

This is all really elementary shit, I'm not sure why people still need this explained to them.

Now, moving onto Sonic Adventure, the physics are still there, but the level design and Sonic's moveset do nothing to mesh into such a cohesive whole.

Rolling + slopes are replaced with boost pads and autorun sections. The classics had boosters and rollercoaster moments, sure, but they weren't used as a replacement for good level design; they were a complement to it.

There's the problem of constant bottomless pits, also being used as cheap level design filler.

Other characters get their own stages with their own goals. You no longer have the freedom to explore the same stage with different abilities, or to complete optional objectives along the way. You pick character A, you have to play in character A's levels and complete character A's objective.

Are you arguing against SA1, SA2 or both?
A lot of those things don't apply to SA1.

Sort of both. Not everything there applies to SA1, but enough of it is to cheapen the gameplay significantly compared to 3K.

SA2 fixed some things, while making others worse. Spin dash was rightly nerfed, but the light dash was unnecessarily buffed. SA1 did at least have some sections of some levels approachable with different characters, so it gets more points than SA2 in that regard.

Overall point though is that the platforming itself in the classics is on-the-nose simple, yet so deceptively nuanced. That was lost in translation with the jump to 3D (and understandably so, shit's not easy to translate to a new dimension).

GHP Act 2 is on the right track.
youtube.com/watch?v=xJPc-Whu3ak

For the longest time I was getting sick of seeing GHP everywhere but that does look neat.

wew

Looking through some of these I realize how difficult I find it to stomach internet video game critics/analysts.

Yeah, they're cringey as fuck (it's Sonic, what do you expect?), but they make solid points.

I feel like my only visual gripe is that Sonic isn't dark enough compared to the rest of the game.

Errant Signal made many valid points that I agree with but the way he presented them I felt could just as well be argued the other way around.
For one, the whole bit about SA1 lacking identity or direction resulting in padded mini-games and friend gameplay could just as well be Sonic Team's very intention, their way of shaking up the stale Sonic stages by adding variety, although poorly.
It's just empty speculation on his part with no real validation from, say, interviews.

The other guy shitting on Marble Zone I cannot forgive. He even quotes Yuji Naka claiming it was added to slow things down from GHZ. He also just boils the whole zone down to "it's slow = it's Mario" while dismissing the things he said differentiates the two in the GHZ part.

I guess that's to be expected from internet critics.

but how will sonic 2017 be? as good as unleashed? as dull as colors? as empty as generations? as edgy as 06? as autistic as adventure?

How the fuck long does that invincibility last?!

as NEVER EVER as sonic x-treme?

~20 seconds

we need some fucking gameplay before we can judge

Marble does fucking suck though

>Beat the game with all three characters with all Chaos Emeralds
>New hidden character is unlocked!
>It's not Amy.
>It's not Metal Sonic or anyone you actually wanted.
>It's Modern Sonic, and he has the Homing Attack, Bounce Attack, Double Jump and Boost.

How angry would you be?

That Geek Critique sperg is seriously triggering me.
He spends the first half of the video just spewing his subjectivities then spends the second half being "objective" and then just echoes other people's subjectivities.

Now thatd be the JUST of next year

meet me irl and ill fite u

Not really, I'll just show you why you're wrong

Um, it's very much a prototype. Quit being a cocksucker.

>Modern Sonic, in 32x style sprite form
Not that mad desu, but I'd like Amy more.

Doesn't seem feasible to have all of those at once. Just homing attack should be fine

Man, that sprite looks way too accurate. Are we sure it's a mock up and the guy wasn't lying and it's actually a leaked sprite?

Honestly, I be okay with it. I can see them doing that to reference Project 2017 later that year.

>$60
The special collectors edition is $60, and that comes with a fucking 1 foot statue, this game will probably be much cheaper

>thread is dying
>almost autosage
>better reply to bait

Kill yourself

Sonic games are ones of those things I assumed was like Pokemon and wrestling. You were supposed to be over it by the time you were 12.

Yet you come to Cred Forums willingly

It's a paradox, I know.

khk

Could say the same for you. Please enjoy the mix of constant looping and all-over-the-place level design the typical CD level has to offer tho