Mfw when it's actually good

>mfw when it's actually good
>mfw when QTE glory kills are actually an interesting mechanic that adds to the game instead of detracting from it
>mfw when QTE chainsaw is actually an interesting mechanic that adds to the game instead of detracting from it
>mfw when level design

I expected it to be decent after reading so much about it, but not outright fantastic. Fuck man. The level design that actually follows Doom tenets really surprised me, that came out of nowhere.

I can't really find a flaw so far except for underwhelming monster designs. I don't like all the LED lights attached to them, but I do understand them from a gameplay/visibility perspective.

How did id suddenly sprout balls and finally released a classic again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rPW0nyC7sCE)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

And I should add that this is the first time I've seen invulnerability QTEs like these that actually behave as an interesting risk/reward mechanic. They can save your ass or they can put you into a lot of trouble. This deserves an award of some sort, just by turning a universally hated thing into something genuinely cool.

DOOM was too short and relied in the "Closed door - monster wave - unlocked door" too much. I wish it was at least twice as long and for it to had the monsters naturally roaming the levels like the classical games.

Don't forget how you don't really need to QTE the enemies; if you're good enough you can kill them from a distance.

I liked it, OP. It was fun, but it wasn't DOOM. I don't blame the devs, though - they were trying to pull off the nigh impossible task of trying to please hardcore fans while catering to the casuals to bring in new revenue. They should've stuck to one or the other.

>he thinks repetitive locked arenas with enemies being teleported in by waves is good level design

>DOOM was too short and relied in the "Closed door - monster wave - unlocked door" too much. I wish it was at least twice as long and for it to had the monsters naturally roaming the levels like the classical games.

Honestly I don't miss this at all. I don't understand why people are so hung up on this feature as I believe it didn't add much at all to the overall experience.

On the plus side for Doom 4's AI behavior, the enemies are much more intelligent than any shooter of this type I've ever played. Those fucking imps and the way they lead their shots -- amazing stuff.

>Don't forget how you don't really need to QTE the enemies; if you're good enough you can kill them from a distance.

Good enough? Actually putting your ass in there to do a glory kill is often more trouble than it's worth.

Nothing can be Doom unless somebody releases a mostly flat game designed to be played with directional keys on the keyboard. This is a mouse+keyboard variant of Doom that relies a lot on verticality - even moreso than Quake 1 or 2 did. Doom 1/2 had some enemies up or down, but the game was mostly flat and aiming at those enemies consisted of just pointing your camera in their general direction.

I don't want another Doom - it's a product of it's time and for weird input standards of it's time. There's nothing a new Doom game that is truly doom would provide that WADs and mods can't.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to hear how a mouse+keyboard modern Doom should play if not how Doom 4 pulled it off.

I had fun with it and I have to give it credit for actually being a game, but how fucking hard is it to just make classic DOOM gameplay with better graphics and more enemies, weapons, and rad level designs? Why lockdown sequence and point of no return every 3 minutes? Why upgrade trees? Why instakills/finishers and no straight up melee besides a gay little gun bash?

>monsters naturally roaming the levels

You mean placed and waking up as they notice you right? And the original also locked you into a room and teleporting in enemies

You don't get it brah! It's like, harkening back to the golden age of gaming and shit!

Samefag

chainsaw and bfg are fucking dumb

i almost never used either until the very end of the game

The closed arena bullshit turned me off from the game.

After killing everything in the arena I feel a bit disappointed because I have to wait a long time before the next arena. The game rarely spawns any big monster horde on your way to the arena (just shitty possesed mostly) and makes it feel too safe instead of being in constant danger.

They could just fix this by making imps more fragile, do less damage and spawn a shitton of them all the time while you're traveling through the map.

Yeah, he thinks that.

As a big fan of Serious Sam, I fucking love being locked into repetitive arenas to fight off waves of enemies teleporting in. It worked for SS and it's working for Doom 4 so far (I haven't finished the game yet).

Why do you hate being locked in with enemies? Do you really like cheesing them around corners so much?

And besides, by good level design, I meant this open HUB-like key-hunting stuff where you explore and find a way out while hunting for secrets. And hunting for secrets here is a lot more fun than it was in original Dooms to be quite honest, family member.

Do you really like holding S that much?

I personally liked both the weapons and the mechanics: the chainsaw being a sort of powerup, the weapon upgrades, the jump-and-grab ledges, the runes. Even those rune upgrade minigames.
As I said before, the only bad thing about the game was how short it was.

>Why upgrade trees?

This is a flaw, to be honest. I mean, I don't mind the weapon mods and I think they're a fantastic addition, but having to unlock them is a bit crap. Perhaps if they were unlocked by combat rating and challenges alone, it would be better. The way it is, secrets play into it as well, which can trigger OCD.

>Why instakills/finishers and no straight up melee besides a gay little gun bash?

Because (on higher difficulties), glory kills are actually a risk/reward thing in how they lock you in place while the rest of the game still plays out. You can swallow a rocket after emerging from the animation. I love how it's implemented from a gameplay perspective and I love the animations themselves - they still didn't get old for me.

I thought BFG was alright but I also never used the chainsaw because it was fucking dumb, who thought more fuel = bigger instakill was a good idea.

Who the fuck runs backwards?

So D44M is like Serious Sam? Looks like I won't even bother to pirate it. Those were some shitty games.

Honestly, that just sounds annoying.

I think they could fix this by simply having more arenas.

>pirate it.

>Holding S
This nigga is so bad he backpedals instead of holding W.

No, it's more like Painkiller if I had to compare it to something. What it borrows from Serious Sam is locking you into areas and forcing you to fight off waves of enemies. Also unlike Serious Sam, there's no hitscan enemies shooting your shit up from half the map away.

They're really not shitty games though, you need to do something about that bad taste.

DOOM got cracked a week ago, you stupid retarded idiotic imbecile mentally challenged goldface poster faggot asshole cretin

Who's gonna tell him?

>mfw when
>my face when when

>hunting for secrets
O sun you make me laff. The game literally hands the 'secrets' to you on a silver platter once you get the necessary map upgrade for your predator suit. The other suit upgrades are garbage so it's not like the map upgrade wont be the first thing you unlock.

The game was a total fucking blast. I expected nothing, heard it was actually good, bought it, beat it twice on Ultra Violence and got every achievement fuck bethesda for ruining it with shitty "paid multiplayer maps achievements". Here's hoping we'll get the Quake revival next.

Check again its gone

How could people not like this?
The first 2 doom games are unplayabely dated and not fun.
Doom 3 is great for what it is.
Doom 4 is fantastic.

>glory kills
>chainsaw
work in theory not in practice like most of the game's mechanics and balancing
>level design
1/3 of the levels are ok, the rest are irredeemable garbage
it's more like painkiller or the flying wild hog games where they lock you into a room/area with enemies that spawn in Doom encounters are much shorter though

Cause originally it was going to be call of duty cinematic shit but they tore it down and started over. Just wish the multiplayer wasnt so by the book.

>Here's hoping we'll get the Quake revival next.
Oh you poor thing. Nobody's told you? I'm so sorry to be the bringer of such bad news, but Quake is getting a new installment It's an overwatch clone hero based shooter.

What? I'm seeing DOOM in my usual pirate website.

Shut your whore mouth

Doom is all shock and awe with no substance
I think you'll find in the same way people went back and looked at bioshock infinite several months later and saw it for what it really is
quake is fucked as well it's being at least partially outsourced and isn't even using the new idtech engine, Bethesda is just trying to ride the "hero shooter" fad wave

I know, I know. m-maybe it will be ok, nuDoom looked like crap in trailers, too

Oh no they didn't rehash the same gameplay as Quake 3 ;.;

Seriously if you fucks want Quake 3 with no changes just stick to Quake 3

So what's the story with Doomguy and why he became the boogeyman of hell? I get he came from D'nur and his knightly buddies were all killed because one traitor faggot wanted his son revived as a demon but how come he's eternally battling hell to the point he had to be locked up in a magical tomb with warning signs, ruins and offerings up the ass to make sure he never gets out?

I miss when the UAC were fucking crazy, designing their bases with secrets and nukage pools everywhere, now they're just all MUH DEMON ENERGY

>played the demo
>bought right after that

I wish there were demos around.

Fun game, started on nightmare yesterday and oh boy it's a difference to normal difficulty

Are you from the berenstein or berenstain universe?

I think that my favorite part about nuDoom was the fact that it wasn't taking itself too seriously. Look at Doom 3, this is truly "all shock and awe with no substance "

Bioshock, on the other hard, was always "vidiyagames can do statements too!!!" I actually hated Infinite from the beginning, my playthrough was also ruined by Ken Levine's lies: he told me that "1999 has quicksaves and I'm gonna fucking need 'em"

Or you could just... not unlock it. What kind of an argument is this?

That aside though, I actually think that upgrade makes hunting for secrets more fun. You get a secret location and it's up to you to figure out how to do it. Sure, some are trivialized by this, but others still demand you open your eyes. Without the upgrade, it's just a complete nightmare and some secrets are near-impossible to figure out.

Isn't this kind of Quake revival as well? I found this game to be as much Quake as it is Doom.

But hey, if another Quake game means a game exactly like this one, bring it on.

There's zero reason to assume it will be bad though. Reasons:

1) Overwatch is a good game.
2) The trailer actually looks fun as fuck and it seems strafe jumping is still a thing.

Naw. I recognized Bioshock's shittiness from game one -- that Infinite was shit was no surprise. Hey, it was even a little bit better than the first game because at least it was more honest with itself instead of trying to be System Shock 2 and failing hilariously.

>I think that my favorite part about nuDoom was the fact that it wasn't taking itself too seriously. Look at Doom 3, this is truly "all shock and awe with no substance "

Doom 3 didn't take itself too seriously either.

Also, it wasn't a terribly bad game. I guess I must be one of the few that actually liked the switch-to-flashlight mechanic and shooting semi-blindly into darkness. BFG edition took a shit on all that because people thought that the flashlight was ruining the whole thing and that it would somehow magically become Doom if you took one interesting gameplay mechanic from it that it had.

The game also looked good and had good monster design.

no graphics aside Doom 3 isn't a good game either but the gameplay fundamentals are way better than doom 4
so you identified the shittiness of infinite but not Doom
well done

>Why do you hate being locked in with enemies?

There's nothing inherently wrong with locked arenas. The problem is that when a game uses that encounter design so commonly, it becomes very repetitive, forgettable and predictable. The original Doom and Quake games do use locked arenas but what makes them from feeling repetitive is that they use them as exclamation points, not as commas like Doom 4 does.

Having lockdown arenas used as the standard encounter makes encounters predictable because the game, whether it's implicitly or explicitly, always lets the player know when one encounter ends and when another begins. It's fine if that's what people want from their modern games. but that's not how the original Doom and Quake games were designed; they were designed to always keep the player guessing and always have something new to spring on him and that's part of why they are still heralded as the best games in their genre today.

well the biggest issue with this is that you cannot pick fights in doom 4, you have to kill all the enemies to progress at all, high difficulty doom 1 and 2 games would have you leaving enemies behind if it wasnt necessary to kill them which added a strategy element to surviving

it needed 4 more bosses.

What a let down for the first 3 levels.

At least the 4th level introduces double jumping and more vertical arenas.

it needs a DLC or expansion to the campaign due to how it ends.

MP is okay, slowly improving, playing as demons is a lot of fun and brings the salt from other players really fast over the mics which never gets old.

I didn't, but I'm glad you did. "Shock and awe but no substance" is great critique. If not for it's content, then for the hilarious irony of just stating that something has no substance and not realizing that that statement itself is about substance-free as you can get barring not saying anything at all.

I don't mean to imply that what you said is inherently wrong, but being locking into arenas in Doom 4 still doesn't feel repetitive or boring to me. Yes, you can tell when you will be locked in, but you still don't know what exactly will spawn or from where. This is also why it works in Serious Sam as well.

Well it didn't work for me. I guess I have a low tolerance for unimaginative encounter design.

desu, it could have used some cheesy crap like spawning tons of the same enemy for shits and giggles.

>perfect performance
>FOR A FUCKING "HORROR" SHOOTER

Why didn't they made an rpg with waifus and this great performance???

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>grasping at straws the post

I don't think the game is perfect, I loved the originals, been off from FPS games since maybe the first Bioshock, but this game really turned me on. It's just a boost of constant adrenaline and really enjoyable fast paced action with no super precise aiming required. It might not please everyone, but I'm glad they went and make it more arcadish, it's totally a worthly game IMHO. Would love to see more games taking this aproach.

Moronic bait: the post

It runs good because it doesn't really look that good. The visual design is top notch however and makes good use of what is not that technically impressive.

>playing on anything below nightmare

i want this but i will wait till its in the $10 bin t b h
i never really buy single player shooters

is the multiplayer alive

p it and then pay later.

>Actually putting your ass in there to do a glory kill is often more trouble than it's worth
Enemies literally drop more health if your own is low (at least on U-V), so it's almost always a good idea to do QTEs.

>comparing d44m to serious sam

Drink bleach

Game is really fun but it has that problem where the beginning feels unfair because you're underpowered and the end is too easy because you got all these op guns runes (like the one that gives you bfg ammo from demons)

>everyone itt not knowing what a qte is
don't remember mashing X repeatedly to rip someone open

it's a much more convenient way to reference that feature than Glory Kills™

they aren't incomparable, they are very similar games

Only the campaign was good, everything else a shit.

Try Nightmare.

Yeah, they drop a lot of health, but you often lose that health promptly after leaving the QTE.

Not quite. The killroom mechanic is similar, but in Doom 4, they're literally killrooms. In Serious Sam, they're killhalls and killplains. Also, Doom 4 likes to spawn shit randomly all over while in Serious Sam, it's often predictable where the enemies will spawn and it's usually very far away from you. Serious Sam is slow and methodic while Doom 4 is frantic jump-around-and-hope-not-to-die.

It depends on the situation

>mfw when level design
Which one?
All I remember is a blur of sterile labs, orange mars surface, and caves with a lot of blood.

Yes user a crack suddenly disappeared and there's no way it works anymore because the mighty denuvo literally got into your computer and deleted it.

None of them are QTEs, nor are they 'interesting mechanics'.
They just make your resource scrounging less time consuming and coax you to stay in combat.
That's not interesting.
Hmmm really makes you thaaaank

I feel you, OP. I fucking loved New DOOM. My only issue was glory kills were too frequent in the early levels with weaker enemies and some weapons sharing ammo pools. The weapon balance was pretty broken anyway. You can comfortably run through most of the game with the Super Shotgun and Gauss Cannon. There's really not much use for half of the weapons given to you.

>high difficulty doom 1 and 2 games would have you leaving enemies behind if it wasnt necessary to kill them which added a strategy element to surviving

Honestly, I prefer being forced to actually defeat all the enemies and "solve" the encounter. You have to actually get good at the game and learn the arenas and powerup placements and stuff. You can't just run past stuff and cheese it.

Well it is not correct since you can't fail them.

t. hurt me plenty

you are saying that like doom 4 nightmare is harder than doom 1 nightmare, it isn't "cheesing", it is the strategy they expect you to take over, manipulating the enemy ai, making them infight just to save ammo, nightmare difficulty was beaten not even 2 days after doom 4 released in 6 fucking hours don't try and act like its harder or that you really have to "git gud" compared to the originals

i disagree about the gory kills being a good mechanic, other than that I was surprised at how much I liked it yeah

the sp really is as good as everyone said it was

Can someone please explain how the fuck did "id" (the people behind such classics as RAGE and the original canceled D44M which was going to be a cowadoody style game before Bethesda of all people slapped some sense into them youtube.com/watch?v=rPW0nyC7sCE) manage to end up making this game?

>>>mfw when QTE glory kills are actually an interesting mechanic that adds to the game instead of detracting from it
>>mfw when QTE chainsaw is actually an interesting mechanic that adds to the game instead of detracting from it
None of you even know what a QTE is

Button Prompts and QTEs are not at all the same thing.

How did you play doom? Did you go for all the secrets or ignored that stuff like a normie

I loved the singleplayer, but the multiplayer is frustrating.
Everyone is all decked with unlocks and I got fucking nothing. Real fun.

It's Numale: The Shooter, and when you liked it you're part of the problem. Enjoy your shit taste in everything and kill yourself.

walking backwards won't help you much in ss

on harder difficulties it is impossile to complete without back bound dont pretend it isn't important when it is the counter to every single enemy in the game

fuck dude. How's life that you're that bitter.

There's that buzzword again.

Glory kills are fucking weird. When I'm playing the game, I'm fine with them. When I'm watching someone else it is the most distracting bullshit ever.

>my face when the demo prevented me from even pirating it
>shills pretending this shit was worth playing even for free

Why are people saying a 20 hour game is short? Most FPS are barely 10 hours. That and I have a life. Also, this game is intense. After I play a level, I'm fucking tired and have to take a break even though I want to play more.

>it's ok when id does it

>New Wolfenstein is announced
>Trailers are shown
>Reeee it's shit
>Game is out and it's good

>New Doom is announced
>Trailers are shown
>Reeee it's shit
>Game is out and it's good

>New Quake is announced
>Trailers are shown
>Reeee it's shit
>???????

>how to be bitter and say absolutely nothing all in one post.

This is almost art.