So I'm knackering for some souls-esque games. Is this one any good?

So I'm knackering for some souls-esque games. Is this one any good?

It's not bad and it does have a difficulty to it.

Depends really though.

Its alright.
Just not great.

There is things like how some weapons do more damage with charged heavy attacks.
Or that armor is extremely useful, but you need to replace it in each new area for it to keep its effect.
Or the fact you can bash The Champion to counter his charge.
Also since this is a Nvidia Fagwork game, if your PC can't run it smoothly, don't even try to play as Dex dodge Rogue.

If you can get it for free on PS Plus, it isn't horrible. Not all that great either, but there's worse ways to kill an afternoon.

the combat feels awful

heavier weapons are ludicrously slow and have shit animations

very short

Apart from waiting for Nioh to release the only other game i can recommend is Dragon's Dogma but it's really not even that similar to Souls, it's just a really good action rpg.

Furi is nice too but, again, not really that much in common with souls.

It's not bad. Just don't expect a Souls-like quality experience.

I fucking hate it. It somehow manages to make your character insanely slow and lumbering, but it also manages to make your hits feel weak and the weapons useless.

Not to mention the awful boss system. They have four bars that you can visibly see and they change styles/attacks when each one depletes. It's so tedious because you can't attack them for any damage in those transition stages, which is something Dark Souls got perfectly.

Lords of the Fallen doesn't let you experiment or go at your own pace or make your own unique character. It has nothing that the game it's copying hasn't done better.

Make sure you level up a damage related stat first and foremost
Like, always keep either STR, AGI or FTH 5 points ahead of whatever the current equip requirements are
Else killing enemies that heal is a fucking nightmare and makes the game shit

That aside it's just "alright"
It's basically a souls game but the scope is far smaller, no casters or archers, less weapon classes, no multiplayer, ect
One thing I would give it over souls is that you actually have reason to learn the game, some enemies are insanely painful if you don't learn to dodge, parry, shoulder tackle, ect as opposed to souls where STR and caster builds can clear the game with zero effort

>Make sure you level up a damage related stat first and foremost
I'm still debating on whether or not to buy this, I'm getting some mixed signals in here.

Its fine.
Its just that Dark Souls is a 10/10 game, and a 7/10 game with the same mechanics do pale in comparison.
But its still a 7/10 game, and not a 3/10 game

I honestly found the battle system to be extremely boring, even compared to demons souls, not to mention BB and DS3.
But refreshing with a more traditional video game story, definitely more production value.

I honestly found the battle system to be extremely boring, even compared to demons souls, not to mention BB and DS3.
But refreshing with a more traditional video game story, definitely more production value.

How about this series Cred Forums? Will this scratch my Souls itch?

No

it's incredibly slow, it's not awful but this game really tries your patience since some enemies have really small attack windows and generally your attacks are really slow

it feels very souls like, very badly optimized on pc, game is the anti bloodborne in that its really slow, imo game favors heavy builds a lot, a lot of badly designed enemies imo eg the shield boss

Not really.
The best Souls-like so far is probably Salt & Sanctuary.

This is depends on build
It's true for all STR weapons, even small things like straight swords are swung in slow mo
But AGI and some FTH weapons like claws, shortswords, daggers and staves aren't too slow

Not really, it's ridiculously slow paced compared to the souls games. There are similarities like the crestfallen but that's about it. Also it's an early PS1 game so everything looks blocky as fuck and the draw distance is ridiculously short. And if you're thinking of starting with the PS2 game, that's the slowest in the series.

I love both series but they're pretty different experiences. King's Field is more of a simplified, combat-focused Ultima Underworld. I would still say give it a shot and see if you enjoy it though; 2 and 4 are truly great dungeon crawlers.

How do the Dual Wield weapon damage combos work again?

>2D

I couldn't do it reliably, but I think you have to get the reduced stamina cost (where you link your attacks together with specific timing, it makes a slight "tink" noise when you do it right) while alternating attacks
If you do it a few times while alternating weapons your character spazzes out and does a buttload of damage

>If you do it a few times while alternating weapons your character spazzes out and does a buttload of damage
This kind of shit is why its sad the games performance is so horrid. It could have been a legitimate good action game on stable 60fps in a mid end rig.

kill yourself

I was genuinely surprised I beat it in 12 hours. I rushed, but still.

Because unlike Dark Souls, the actual gameplay area is really small.
-Castle Interior
-Outside Castle
-Dungeon
-40k Warp
Meaning that each time you progress, the new area will be smaller.

Compared to shit like Dark Souls Gutter, the fucking Crypt, or Dukes Archive