Just downloaded pic related to my 3DS. By many people's standards this is the best Metroid game...

Just downloaded pic related to my 3DS. By many people's standards this is the best Metroid game, but did I buy into nostalgia? I've never played a side-scroll Metroid, only the Prime series

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

What should I expect?

It's fun, I liked it more than Prime. Just watch your surroundings and shoot everything, there are secrets aplenty. I hope you enjoy it. Play it blind as possible, hold Y to run fast over blocks that fall when you stand on them. And lastly there is a tube surrounded by water that you can break with power bombs.

Piss easy difficulty, bland and forgettable soundtrack, terrible controls, lots of backtracking, and bombing every fucking wall.

user that's the original Metroid

the original metroid is harder than super

in fact, if we don't consider easy modes, I think super maybe the easiest metroid game aside from maybe prime 3, but even that's harder on hard mode

Was thinking of buying this or Super Castlevania IV. Which should I go for?

>Super is easier than Fusion and Zero Mission

As someone who's played all three very recently this is a huge fucking lie.

The original Metroid isn't easy. Maybe I played a glitched version but Shitmus disappeared every time I touched a hazard.

>paying for old vidya

Quit being a dumbass

>Shitmus
Don't you have school tomorrow kid?

fusion is defiantly harder than super

ZM is arguable and has hard mode anyway

>He bought rom for his 3ds
Kek.

>bland and forgettable soundtrack, terrible controls,

>The game that literally tells you where to go is harder Super

Ok user, it's clear we've all had a good laugh here, but you need to be serious now.

>defiantly harder
so its easy? or is it harder because it doesnt want to be easy?

fusion tells you where you need to be but not how to get there. It's not like SM is hard to traverse

fucking autocorrect

It depends what you're talking about. The combat in Fusion is definitely harder. You're more likely to die in Fusion than you are to die in Super.

If you were talking about navigation you'd be right.

Play it and make your own opinions, for fuck's sake.

Dude what the hell did I do to you? I've never played either.

I find it funny how people bitch about mini maps in modern games but somehow Super Metroid gets a free pass for doing the same thing.

Just emulate them like a normal person

The fact that it gives you a clear destination makes it easier than Super in my opinion.
Really? I thought the combat was pretty similar between games.
And I played Fusion first, so I don't really know if my deaths in that game really mean anything.

If Super could be seen as easier is would be because of how broken Samus is in that game.
People complain about Mini-Maps? What the fuck?

youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU

But I don't have anything to emulate them on. I wouldn't anyhow. Plus I have disposable income. Why does it matter to you if I buy them? I really just want to talk about the games, not the means in which I play or acquire them. That's just dumb.

People complain about Yakuza and Nightmare for their difficulty all the time.
I don't think it's an outright difficult game but I do think it's a good bit harder than Super.

How 'bout you just play it and find out, ya stupid fuck?

You can't use romhacks which are half the fun of the game.

What the hell man.

Why is a game automatically casual shit for making things less tedious?

Hell I'd rather have casual trash than shit that forces me to do stupid and slow monotonous garbage.
I want my games to be enjoyable.

>bought into nostalgia

Naw I played it for the first time a few years ago and I love it. To be fair though I have a huge hard on for metroid style games.

cuz i didnt actually buy it and clearly am trying to start a shit flinging fest Is it not entirely obvious what OP was doing? SM is overrated though by the same nostalgia fags who think SMB3 and aLttP are the best of the series

>SM is overrated though by the same nostalgia fags who think SMB3 and aLttP are the best of the series
all of these opinions are perfectly valid

Okay. That's getting even further from what I'm asking about. Good for you and your romhacks. I just wanna play the vanilla versions as it were I guess.
So Super Metroid or Castlevania IV?

people like that guy and egoraptor overthink the fuck out of old games, believing more thought was put into them than what actually was.

Depends on your own personal tastes again. You should know if you're more fond of Metroid or Classicvania.

Super Metroid is the best game in the series though, but that doesn't mean the later 2d games are anywhere near bad.
Can't agree with people about SMB3 or aLttP though, I found SMW and Wind Waker a hell of a lot more fun.

>Super Metroid is the best game in the series though, but that doesn't mean the later 2d games are anywhere near bad.
Completely agree, I can enjoy ZM and Fusion for their merits. I'm not a Super purist, those guys are annoying.

>Can't agree with people about SMB3 or aLttP though, I found SMW and Wind Waker a hell of a lot more fun.
I found SMW and MM more fun than SMB3 and aLttP. But that's just my taste, I can still respect those opinions.

>Original Metroid
>bland and forgettable soundtrack

Everything else I can dismiss as you being an underage casual, but saying Metroid has a bad soundtrack? Get fucked.

I've only ever played Fusion. That was years ago. And for Classicvania, last one I played was Rondo if that counts also years ago. Both were fun.

Super Metroid is much more open than Fusion. The focus is on exploration rather than combat.

He's probably thinking of Metroid II. That has exactly one memorable track in the whole game.

>The game that literally tells you where to go is harder Super
Ironic, since Super does that too. Super is much more subtle about how it does it, but it still leads you along a path unless you know enough about the game engine and map to exploit bugs and use other advanced techniques, at which point you still can't get lost since you know where to go.

I don't think Super having an intended route that is never directly told to you is the same as Fusion flat out saying where your destination is and how you get there.

Zero Mission blows it out of the fucking water.

That's a fair point, I just wanted to point out that Fusion's "go here" design isn't as much of an outlier as it seems, since the series has been doing that since Metroid 2. The other games were just able to do the "go here" in much better ways.

Zero Mission is just a Metroid game with a map inspired by but not the same as the original. It's hardly a remake and I personally find it vastly inferior to the original game.

Fun for a breezy runthrough but if I want a 2D Metroid game with meat I'll play Metroid, Metroid 2, or Super.

Not really, it's still a straightforward linear path.
Even the map argument is dumb since super has map rooms too, you just have to move 3 tiles down and enter the map room instead of getting it when you begin the area.
Super is a lot of fun for having all those sequence breaks but the intended path is just as linear as every other 2D metroid game.

>vastly inferior
>inferior
I don't think I've disagreed harder to an opinion in my life.

Zero Mission makes the original game look like a hot mistake, which even without Zero Mission that's not hard to do.

Thanks. I may go for that then. Appreciate the answer user.

I find that the original game makes Zero Mission look like a hot mistake, since Zero Mission completely removed any semblance of challenge and atmosphere and also added bad power-ups to the mix like the Power Grip. The end-game stealth section is also incredibly awful, as are the cutscenes and text-based storytelling.

The minimap doesn't tell you everything, the minimap won't show you all the secrets.

It's a good minimap.

>but did I buy into nostalgia?
Not at all, one of the games that have aged better, i played it for the first time after Prime and Fusion and didn't really felt like i was playing something older but rather something different, a real genre definining classic that needs to be played by anyone who is looking to play essential videogames.

The map in Super Metroid is just as uself as the map in Doom.

How about playing the game and forming your own opinion faggot?

I never played it as a kid, but emulated last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's veey exploration heavy and kind of atmospheric - comfy in a way, but with some elementsof tenseness and horror. The gane gives you no guidance on where to go, so it can be easy to miss something that you need have to backtrack or wonder around. Besides that little frustration, I thought it was a great game.