Classic Fallout thread

I'm playing Fallout 2 for the first time and I am having a lot of fun.
I love the liberty that the game grants you, it really gives you a reason to replay the game after you beat it .

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Xa5IzHhAdi4?t=1337
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Too bad the gameplay is bad hipster fuck. I'll be playing the Fallout with good gameplay over here trash boy. Have fun your choices while I have fun blasting ass and building settlements.

Have fun user! The first two Fallouts are very good games!

>that agility
WHY

>2 action points

I don't even.

With stats like that you don't even need combat

>Big Guns
>END 3
>AGI 1
>AP 2
WHAT ARE YOU DOING user

Trying way too hard there, man

FO1: Short, atmospheric, coherent, to the point. Combat is mediocre, writing is so-so, reactivity and number of solutions to quests is damn good. Overall a great RPG, but not 10\10.

FO2: Longer version with more popculture references. Personally I rate it a bit lower than FO1, but both are good games. Neither are the bestest RPGs, though.

FO3: literally whatever

FO3: NV - closest to FO1 out of official sequels. Even shitty combat is in! Dead Money could easily be the best thing that came out of Fallout, even topping almost all of the content of FO1. Praise Avellone.

FO4: absolute whatever

NV DLC > FO 1 > FO 1.5 Ressurection > NV > FO2 > Tactics >>>>> console trash

Realtalk, it there some kind of mechanic that guarantees you'll get at least one attack off per round regardless of AP?

OP had big guns and 2AP, but has actually managed to level decently. I've never actually tried it.

That SPECIAL spread is going to give people panic attacks, user.

>AG 1
you COULD make your followers do all the combat I suppose. emphasis on "could" because they're brain-dead retards

patrician opinions, user

I was thinking of doing a similar run but never got around to it.

fallout 2 tricks you into thinking it has replayability when it doesn't
quests and content are so sparse there really are only a few ways to play the game despite the large amount of skills you have, and once you hit the last half of the game you're so overpowered you can do anything

> 2 ap
good fucking luck doing anything

>this build
>having fun
You are a twisted fucking psychopath.

Best trait

F1 is really barebones. You overestinate the amount of reactivity in it compared to Fallout 2 or New Vegas which generally offer way more solutions and outcomes.

naturally, because it was the first of its kind.
even Baldur's Gate games never offered much variety except do quest / kill questgiver and rape his corpse. not to mention it didn't have any impact on the ending.

How does it run on windows 10? Spent a couple of hours yesterday to get GoGs arcanum version to run without problems.

Fallout3 is much better than NV with is dumb story

Arcanum is major a pain in the ass to get working properly, Fallout 1/2 work fine out of the box.
You might still want high resolution and unofficial patches though.

Everytime I see screenshots of Arcanum I can still hear Virgil's voice in my head after all these years.

There is something special in classic Fallout games, something that modern Fallout games are missing and I dont even mean that god-tier soundtrack by Mark Morgan. Maybe it's an old art direction and atmosphere in general, I don't know.

> bloody mess

what a fucking waste

You should always get bloody mess. Always.

>Big Guns
>Str 5
>Agi 1
>Bruiser
>AP 2
As someone who is very experienced (what a meme) with Fallout 1/2 & Fallout Online powerbuilding, I'm very interested to hear how exactly you are having a lot of fun with a build like that. You can't even shoot a pistol with that much AP, let alone a Big Gun.

I guess your Charisma, Intelligence and Speech being so high means you can get through a lot of the quests without even attacking anything, but still.

>how exactly you are having a lot of fun
When you're playing for the first time your build literally doesn't matter.
If anything he's having way more fun than your minmaxing munchkin ass.

I didn't play Fallout 1 or 2 that much, but maybe the visual art style was way more tolerable when you were staring into just one detailed isometric chunk of it at a time. Fallout 3 is almost depressing with its empty distant terrain, while the older games can't show that through their isometric cameras. When you only see a narrow chunk of the world at once at all times, there's always the chance of something being just beyond the screen, a feeling of possibilities.

Also, Beth fallouts are pretty much ugly, their artists and animators just suck I guess.

I mean, when you're playing for the first time and you have 2 Action Points I'm pretty sure that it's pretty fucking difficult to generate any sort of fun out of the game. As soon as you get into combat enemies can make moves that are like 5-6x larger than yours in AP use, and you can't use the vast majority of the weapons in the game without being on Buffout and Jet with some Action Boys or Bonus Rate of Fire perks.

Agility is not a dump stat. It's one of the only stats that will actually just destroy your enjoyment of the game in my experience if you completely dump it and then pick Bruiser which is an automatic -2 AP for +2 STR (which is a net loss of 2 SPECIAL points, yeah, Bruiser is really really bad). Now I'm wondering if this guy really is just dealing with this build and using Speech to get through every situation he finds himself in (which is mostly possible but you still miss out on a bunch of content) or if this thread is just one gr8 b8.

>without even attacking anything
except for franks fight

Yeah, that's what I meant by a lot of the quests. The Frank fight is going to be tough on this guy even if he convinces the Enclave squad to help and activates the turrets.

Turrets and guards, my man.

Can someone explain how I'm hitting people for so little with my unarmed/melee attacks? I was playing as a low int melee fag with about +8 MD, but I was consistently doing 1-3 damage with my melee attacks against unarmored targets

Everything just kinda sucks if it isn't in the gun category.

post a screenshot of your stats screen

>1ag
>2ap
>Having fun
MADMAN

>not enough AP to punch

>the temple of trials was, without hyperbole, literally the most difficult part in Fallout 2.

More like best retard filter of the year

Are you playing with the Restoration Project? Actually the Unofficial Patch might even be like that too. I'm pretty sure the creator of the RP/UP just dislikes Unarmed/Melee because it's "unrealistic" or something so he nerfed them, not sure though.

>low-int
>6
Is this on drugs?

Sorry, I forgot, I thought I was low int because for most of this game I had mentats addiction, thanks to getting hooked on it my first time, bringing me down to the 3 int threshold for retard speak

you're level 2 to start with and have low crit chance give it sometime before you can do some damage, the perks you pick for it will help

He has Heavy Handed so his crit rolls will be shit even if he gets his crit chance up.

No but isn't MD supposed to be a modifier? like the game rolls the damage for the hit and then adds the modifier, subtracts DT and DR and then my damage should be out, unless it's a crit failure, I should be doing at least 9 damage. But instead I'm dealing about 2 damage to unarmored targets

Bethesda simply don't understand the whole point of Fallout. Fallout was always about the new world and new stories. It had a gritty and rustic aesthetic. Bethesda focus on the pre-war world and old stories, with an emphasis on the wacky 50's but way overblown.

What weapon classes are the best in Fallout 2? I wanna try Melee and then something else.

>AG 1

I think that Melee Damage gets added before the DT/DR shit comes in to play.

Post your best meme builds

melee damage goes with the unarmed skill. i see you tagged melee weapons which are sledge hammers and knives

HAHAHAHAHAHA who gives a shit about those lame-ass games anymore, grow up grandpa.

Post your qt waifus from actually relevant Fallout games.

why did bethesda have to make aliens canon

Does melee damage only apply to Unarmed in this? The /tg/ which I thought was just the game with the computer element removed claims that melee damage is thrown in with Melee weapons as well. I've never done a melee build in fallout 1-2 before

small guns >>> big guns >> energy weapons > everything else >>> throwing

They're all viable to a point, the thing with the perk that makes all melee into criticals is that it doesn't rely on luck roll like the ranged equivalent.

theres not that much of a reason to play fallout 2 after a complete run

You can do most of content no matter what you choose. The difference might be just you being on the other side in the big fight this time.

OP's pic is a pasta.

That does explain things.

I read a lot of comments like yours about fallout 1 and 2 and sometimes NV you know

The only fallout games I've ever played were fallout 3 and 4

3 left a bad taste in my mouth with the shitty ending and there were too many copy-pasted demolished structures for my taste and the fucking metro stations....

4 was just boring, didn't even finish it

I am gonna give fallout one last chance I hope I am not getting memed again

Would it just be better to let Fallout franchise wither and die?
Sometimes I think it'd be for the best. At least almost no-one talks shit about Planescape or Arcanum except for new age kids who were memed into playing old games.

I bet you never became the Captain of the Guard in Vault City.

You should play 1 2 and New Vegas. They're good. 3 and 4 are ass.

at least we got a New Vegas out of the deal, but it had its fair share of issues as well

Play New Vegas, if you don't like it 2-3 hours in just drop the series altogether.

Uh oh, /fog/ is leaking again.

3 and 4 may as well be spin-offs. They have nothing to do with Fallout in terms of both lore/setting and gamepay.

Couldn't agree more

mein neger.

>tfw never got to finish F1/F2 as every time I played a few hours of it I had to do something else and then won't turn the game on again for months

Aw fooken 'ell mates

Friendly reminder that Fallout 1 and 2 aren't isometric games, technically.

Yes, it's near-isometric as drawing everything exactly 30° to the horizontal would not allow a neat pixel pattern.

But near-isometric sounds dumb, so deal with it.

It's cavalier-oblique. Deal with that.

This sounds even worse.

It's dimetric if you want to be exact, since two out of three angles between axes are equal.

Well I can go with you or Tim Cain on the matter.

I'll go with Tim, thanks.

Both NV and 3 are trash. Especially NV. Everything that postKotor Avellone touches turnes to absolute shit.

>st 5
>pe 8
>ag 1

what the FUCK are you doing nigger?

>Tim Cain
Who?

I don't know, maybe it is cavalier, I'm not the one who was drawing it. Dimetric and cavalier are almost identical.

I'm just saying it sounds dumb. Cavalier projection is not common, it was used by French military in 18th or 19th century if I recall correctly. Not to mention most people don't even know what the fuck it means.

>Everything that postKotor Avellone touches turnes to absolute shit.
Points for liking KotOR II, but you didn't like MotB? Fucking fight me

youtu.be/Xa5IzHhAdi4?t=1337
>22:17

I'm just kidding, that stuff about projection is interesting, though. I've never been very good with art.
New VtM game soon?

>just to get really pedantic
Well that's my point. It's nearly-isometric, almost indistinguishable from dimetric and turns out it's cavalier to be exact.

Perspective is such an autisitc topic.

cavalier-oblique*

>Both NV and 3 are trash. Especially NV.

You just had to take this bait over the line, didn't you? Otherwise it would've been good.

No, that term is entirely up to preference.

Cavalier projection is a just a specific type of oblique projction. Do you also say "square-rectangle"?

I played Fallout 1 for the first time since 90s (I was mostly a console kid back then, so I didn't play much of it back them either), and it was buggy yet brilliant.

Then I played Fallout 2 and it was stupid memes just like the new games.

Fuck Fallout 2. It and not the Bethesda games was the game that turned the series into the stupid pop culture romp it is known for being today. This shit has nothing on the original games immersivity and open-endedness.

I always look at this thumbnail, think she has cum on her fur and think, fucking furries Jesus Christ, this is just, shit. Then I mouse-over it and see it's her paw. So who's the real monster there eh.

want your carrot back?

>Then I played Fallout 2 and it was stupid memes just like the new games.
Thanks to Avellone.

It's cavalier-oblique. Please refer to the original creator of Fallout.

Aa far as I know Tim Cain has a degree in computer science, not engineering.

But keep saying square-rectangle though, it surely doesn't make you sound like a retard. Not at all.

Keep on arguing that you know more about how Fallout works than the guy who made it. We'll continue to sit back and laugh.

>Fallout 2 is all about memes
>Bethesda dindu nuffin

I wonder who is behind this post...

Keep drawing squares and calling them square-rectangles. You made it so your terminology have to be correct, right?

To give context, someone on Cred Forums did a 1 agi run of fallout to prove that it is possible and to shut up shitters who say you have to autistically tailor your build to even stand a chance at beating the game.

I never invented shapes user, lol.

And Tim Cain never invented perspective.

Your point?

He invented Fallout, more or less.

But he didn't invent the perspective used in his creation. His "cavalier-oblique" was probably used to give the audience a better idea of what cavalier projection is.

So it is cavalier-oblique.

As much as square is a square-rectangle. Not an incorrect term, but certainly unecessary.

Haha THIS is what's supposedly better than F4 are you serious? That's not even a game just some turn based autism xD

Took a while but we got there in the end.

Wouldn't you have to rely on your companions for all battles? I've always done violent playthroughs so I can't remember if it's possible to avoid all combat entirely. Certainly not random encounters.

FO1 was more barebones but had a much more urgent questline.

It would have sucked if it had a billion things to do but with given time constraints you couldn't experience it all.

I wish I could enjoy old rpg again.

I'm not kidding, and I'm 29 so not exactly new to vidya, and for how disappointing FO4 can be today, I'd still rather play it than fallout 2.

Well FAllout 2 is old, you probably played it to death already.

Have you tried recent oldchool rpgs? Like Underrail, for example.

i understand this feel my dude

It's the non-retarded storytelling and world-building

If i'm not mistaken combat fixes are optional for Restoration patch. The bullet fixes are definitely optional.

>Would it just be better to let Fallout franchise wither and die?
after seeing what beshitsda did to it, yes, I think it would have been better

Yes, thats the problem, I tried them all ( almost ).

PoE felt awful, extremely boring.
I even tried BG2 remaster edition ( or whatever its called ) and I can tolerate it a bit longer tho, but I'm not getting hooked anymore.

Todd we told you to stay out of classic threads.

With SFALL and Restoration project, it should run fine. I think.

They didn't.

They were in Fallouts 1 and 2 as well.

There was even an Alien Blaster.

I remember this but missed the later posts. Do you know where I can find them?