People criticize modern video games for being far too 'cinematic'

>People criticize modern video games for being far too 'cinematic'
>Half-Life is still held up as an exemplary game despite starting this awful cinematic trend

Learn the difference

Half Life still left full control to the player, so the player felt in the moment and part of the experience

Most modern cinematic games take away control and drag on without interaction

Half-Life itself doesn't have many cinematics, though. Just the intro and a few mild transitions.

Half-Life 2 is the one with boring cinematics.

>b-buh-bbuh-buh-buhbuh half life did it hurrr
Bro, half-life didn't stop the action with cutscenes, it delivered all exposition in real time. The game was chock-full of action at almost all times and went from puzzles to platforming to combat. It did "cinematic" right because it made you feel like you were in an action movie. Very few games managed to deliver the plot in such a way, certainly none before it.
I know you get a microboner from being a contrarian little shit and getting lotses of (You)s, but try to think about the trash you post.

>Its Ok if we lock the player in a room and have the characters infodump at each other, it's """immersive"""

Half-Life was always the prime example of how to do a cinematic game right.

There's nothing wrong with cinematic games, it's just that so many games do it badly and there's so goddamn many of them

The strength of the games is their ability to make you feel like you're a part of what's going on via their presentation and the control they give you in each scene, they don't bank a whole lot on strong core mechanics

Did you only play the first level or something? What an asshole.

Basically Seinfeld is Unfunny syndrome.

>they don't bank a whole lot on strong core mechanics
Half life's core mechanics were impeccable, you ugly cunt.

half life was able to be cinematic without taking the player out of the game or intrude gameplay, which are the issues modern games suffer from.

HL2 also suffers from this issue though. Way too much downtime for the sake of exposition.

>A BLOO BLOO BLOO this good game started a bad trend so it is bad because it is to blame for everything despite the fact if it didn't do it someone else would have!

Half Life 2 is the cinematic one

modern games are "cinematic" because of in game scripted events, cutscenes, and having to walk slowly forward while expostition is delivered and you can do nothing while this happens

half life does not do this, save for the beginning

>what is an overrated game that has aged like milk

b-but muh in game cutscenes! muh jumping platforming!!

It was great for it's time and in the contex of video game technology in the late 90s it was a magnum opus but if you played it today you'd quit out of boredom just a few minutes after the shit hits the fan and say to yourself "this seemed like a good idea but now that Im actually playing it I dont want to do it anymore".

To be completely fair, the shitty "you're stuck in a room while characters talk to each other and there's nothing you can do about it" from Half Life 2 is just as annoying as modern cinematic games.

It's really about how much of it you're forced to endure. But it would have been nice to be able to skip that on repeat playthroughs.

Who exactly criticizes it?
Cred Forums and only Cred Forums. Those games sell a lot.

Half Life isn't cinematic.

Blame Metal Gear Solid for games becoming cinematic.

All the Half Life games are a pain in the ass to replay because of that shit. At least with cutscenes you can skip that shit, usually.

Half-Life 1, not really. Just the intro. And at least you can just get up from your keyboard and it will complete the worst of it on its own.

hehe no it isn't.

Perhaps, and this is a mind-blower, it's because half-life did it well. It actually showed restraint, it never took control away from you, and it didn't have that many cutscenes at all.

>old-school FPS
>aging like milk and not like wine
Maximum fucking pleb detected

And yes, in terms of how it controls and plays, half-life definitely is that.

what

>infodump
is this what aspies call a conversation?

>you lived long enough to see hating on HL becoming cool thing to do.

I dont feel this way about all old school FPS'. I think system shock 2 is still alright and I still play Deus Ex 1 sometimes. Just cant be assed to play Half Life again.

I love those games too user, but that's because they're primarily RPGs. You can't say either really excel as shooters.

I can still hardly believe people talk fondly of Halo now.

Does the term cinematic even apply to Half-Life, other than marketing talk?

Literally a (old-school) FPS with scripted sequences all over. It simply ushered in the era of script-heavy shooters.

It can be even worse. At least you can usually skip cutscenes.

>Half Life still left full control to the player

yeah man, I love having the control to stand in any corner of the room I want when the paper thin characters are talking for 10 mins at a time