ITT we talk about 1v1 boss battles

What are your thoughts on them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BmUpIuHqmzg
youtube.com/watch?v=TcKXdoHiHwY
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Great

Luke vs Asch was the best one, fitting as it was the best Tales game and one of the best JRPGs out there

I love them. They should be much more common in RPG's than they are.

While they're usually really hype in the context of the game (I second Luke vs Asch), they're often disappointing gameplay-wise because they're necessarily limited compared to what you've been doing for the entire game, which is higher-scale battles with more characters on both sides and more variables to take into account. 1-vs-1's in every Tales game I've played always boil down to do hit-and-run on the boss.

IZA!

JINJOU NI SHOBU!

I really like them because of the emotional aspect that causes them to happen. Like fighting an old friend one on one out of respect and honour.

I'm reminded of how Suikoden did them, which wasn't any better. Basically Rock Paper Scissors.

RPG's need to come up with some really good mechanics specifically designed for 1 v 1 battles. I'm sure there's games that manage it out there.

They're often terribly implemented in RPGs, especially turn-based ones.

fuck this JRPG nonsense

I'm boring but I love 1v1 boss fights with enemies that are just as big as you are. In recent memory I've loved the Raiden vs Sam fight in revengeance. Yes it's easy but I still replay it from time to time.

Well they can be awesome like the pic in the OP or they can be like pic related

Paladin Cecil versus dark knight Cecil if you play to win.

They're only good with an emotional build-up. The actual fight itself is usually terrible unless the game is built around 1v1 fights.

Playing Trails of Cold Steel right now and the duels are awful. They boil down to who inflicts status or uses an S-Craft first.

I like the idea, and the way it was built up in Tales of Symphonia was great too, but it wasn't challenging at all, I had harder time during first fight against Kratos. I don't blame devs, 1v1 battle basically has to be perfect, it should be challenging enough to keep player engaged, but also easy enough to not break the flow.

Again, Tales of Symphonia when Sheena was fighting Kuchinawa. Never used Sheena before that, defeated chump in first try and I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing.

this was a trash fight

>hit defend for 10 turns until Cecil stops being a soaking vagina and his dad tells him to man up

It tends not to work as well as it should. Raiden and Sam works because you fight him twice and get your ass handed to you the first time and then have an even fight later on. Dante vs Vergil worked too because Vergil got stronger in each fight. If it's just a 1v1 with a character you've never met and don't have a rivalry with it feels crappy

Shame it has the worst characters and worst story by a large margin.

this is not posted yet.

youtube.com/watch?v=BmUpIuHqmzg

I never really used Sheena, so I died a lot when I had the duel against Kuchinawa.

I love them.

>no god hand vs devil hand

co mon guys!

youtube.com/watch?v=TcKXdoHiHwY

REST IN BEES

I need more ToS art in my life.

Zestiria and Tempest exists.

>be a Taurus
>use your birthday as Ramza's birthday
>take double damage from Wiegraf and Gafgarion in the 1v1 fights
>brother is born in March
>watch him take half damage from those two
>mfw my brother gets easy mode just for being born in March

BEING BORN IN MAY IS SUFFERING EVEN IN VIDYA

What about bosses are are your party versus another similar yet different party

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality

Dwarven vow number 7:
Justice and love will always win.

What about 101 vs 101?

BEHOLD THE POWER OF A GOD

This was cool too.

Such a good boss fight. Has me very hopeful for the eventual other duels. Now if only they could fix the changes.

>posts a shit game in response

They're hardly ever good, but the good ones are really good

>Talking shit about More Ero