How about a nice early morning Advance Wars thread?

How about a nice early morning Advance Wars thread?
>Favorite game
>Favorite COs
>Favorite theme

>Dual Strike
>Sami, Sasha, Grimm, Grit
>youtube.com/watch?v=y80cfL409Xg
Sami is a fucking top tier CO, her 1.5x capture rate and her super are so fucking good. I can deal with having weaker direct fire units because I'm more of an indirect fire user and because mech spam can pull me out of tight situations.
>That glorious feel when you instantly cap an HQ with a 1HP unit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0GCKo7TwSno
youtube.com/watch?v=JsEnlbZunzE
youtu.be/vFIbAMomhAA
youtube.com/watch?v=XKBUyAR1S6I
youtube.com/watch?v=ElgVrXizcp8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>fav game
Dual Strike. Tag powers were broken but still fun as fuck.

>fav solo CO
Jake. Great theme. Good bonus as fields and tanks are common. Has no weaknesses.

>Fav tag team
Adder/Koal. Speed and movement out the ass. Creepy Crawly, bitches!

>Fav theme
A tie between Sturm's snd Kindle's.
>

>Favorite game
Advance wars 2, Dual Strike is a close second.

>Favorite COs
Max, just cause I like to spam tanks and steamroll my opponent with them.

Hawke and Sensei as well for non Orange Star COs.

>Favorite theme
The Dual Strike theme, if ever there was a "Fuck Yeah!" theme, that was it:
youtube.com/watch?v=0GCKo7TwSno

There will never be an Advance Wars 3DS

Dual Strike
Sasha+Grimm was my go-to combo. Extra income in peaceful times and great firepower for battles. Depending on map Hachi was albo godlike. A bit sad there is no Sturm since his no movement penalty was broken af.
Favorite theme is probably Hachi or Sensei.

Gonna go with the unpopular opinion and declare DoR as my favorite. I miss you captain :(

Day of Ruin was actually pretty good. Just had to be in the mood for something grim instead of your usual CO wacky hijinks

>Favorite game
Probably 2
>Favorite CO
Waylon, Kanbei, Olaf, Grit.
>Favorite Theme
youtube.com/watch?v=JsEnlbZunzE

Is it weird that I only got into these games because I found out a character has the same name as me?

>game
I want to say DS, but after playing the others I saw how imbalanced and powercreeped it had become. Now I cannot say.
>fave CO
Lash
>Theme
Grimm, easily

Counter question- wether it's personality, mechanics, or anything else, what character did you grow to appreciate more over time than you did before?
For me, it's Andy and Drake.

But didn't Waylon follow Greyfield?

jesus fucking christ advance wars 2's hard campaign is fucking H A R D
i can't beat the orange star campaign finale and i missed the secret md.tank level entirely
this shit is fucking bananas, i had so much trouble finishing the normal campaign in 2, and the last chapter of it in 1. this is some fucked up shit.

That comes later.

>stuck at trying to get S on Eagle's FoW misison in 1
>Stuck on BH island on AW2
>beat hard campaign on DS but cheated
>beat DoR campaign but not good score, havent beaten all the challenge levels
man I really suck at this game.

>Favorite game
Dark Conflict
>Favorite COs
Andy in terms of personality, Grit in all his brokenness
>Favorite theme
youtu.be/vFIbAMomhAA

I remember a few months ago when Cred Forums played BHR together and I'd always lose pretty bad because of some fundamental flaw I didn't and still don't really get. I've just taken to heart this isn't my game and I'd be like one of those secondary characters who has low potential and supports the MC. But hey, at least I can put on a show sometimes.

>spend 45 minutes in a match
>make one small mistake
>winning is now impossible
>Whoops, you have to start all over back at square one

Fuck this franchise.

>spend 45 minutes in a match
>make one small mistake
>slowly crawl back into the game
>win a game you should have lost

Love this franchise.

How do we fix AW?
>You may use any of the games for basing and blending
>you must address infantry spamming

>Favorite game
Advance Wars 2
>Favorite COs
Sensei, Kanbei, Adder
>>Favorite theme
Sensei, Grit

Just make a new one with gameplay based on DoR. Graphics and setting can be whatever.

Jess's theme, andy's theme and sami's theme are objectively the best

>advance wars 2
>max, grit gotta love them polar opposites
>youtube.com/watch?v=XKBUyAR1S6I a classic
i need me a romhack for disshit or something

>Play through AW2
>Orange Star campaign was no problem
>Blue Moon campaign had one tricky mission (the FoW forest one with Grit)
>Yellow Comet wasn't too bad, game is starting to work out your skills
>Green Earth is getting there
>To the Rescue
>Great Sea Battle
>Mfw
To The Rescue stuck out to me as a major pain in the ass, more than most other missions. Great Sea Battle was just a long and slow battle of gaining territory. Both were missions where I looked at the map at the beginning of the game and my brain was already jumping hurdles at the thoughts of how mentally taxing the missions would be.
I still haven't even attempted Final Front because I looked at the map, the giant laser cannon, and the turn limit and thought "fuck this, I don't even want to cheese the mission".

desu i'd introduce some sort of hero unit/s to give the game some rng shenanigans

Not that that doesn't sound fun, but doesn't the game have enough RNG as is? Especially if you throw in Flak/Jugger/Nell.

>no crits
>no misses
?damage is almost fixed
you can predict the outcome of 2 units going at each other just by taking into account the units, the CO and the terrain
where's the rng bro? where!?

>HQs provide more than 1k per turn (preferably 3k or 4k, but even if it's just 2kpt this can help with getting the first few turns going, as well as assist losing players when the other team is closing in one their HQ and properties)
>HQs can build infantry units (again, helps when losing)
>Two new infantry types: flame units (mainly anti-infantry, strong enough to wipe out other infantry types but has low defenses so it's not untouchable, could also be useful in FoW) and storm troopers (meant for securing properties; attack bonus for attacking on-property units and defense bonus when stationed on properties)
The only way I can think of to prevent infantry spam without nerfing them directly would be putting a soft cap on number of infantry units produced per turn/in a number of turns, but that's kinda stupid. Maybe create a "barracks" property that only produces infantry and recon units, and factories make all the other land based vehicles. You can have more factories than barracks on a map, and then you can't just mech spam from the four factories around your HQ, instead only relying on the one barracks and the HQ itself. That's my best idea.

Nell's units have a chance to dodge, and her powers boost it more.

Flak has a chance to miss, when using either of his CO powers.

And I think Sonja had a chance to take reduced damage????

There's very little RNG in the game, but it exists.

too little, too little the game needs a liiiiiittle bit of casual pandering 'cause AW suffers of what i call a "core-or-bust" type of gameplay which can be a little dealbreaker profit-wise

So let's say you have a map that's totally symmetrical, made for either 2 players or 4 players, and in the very center is either a factory or a comm. tower. What would you consider to be more valuable?
>Factory in the center acts as a checkpoint; secure the center and you now have a major advantage on attacking your opponents with most of your units now pumping into the front lines, but it's also a highly contested point that you need to fight for
>In a 1v1, securing the center factory would be GG; in a 4p FFA, it's still a strong advantage but you have to fight two more opponents to keep it
>If you're gaining the enemy's properties after securing the center, then the center factory will just pump out rockets/meds/neos as the turns go by

>Comm tower provides 10% attack/5% attack+defense bonuses to all units (depending on if it's DS or DoR rules)
>Rather than a checkpoint for pumping out units, it gives you an attack/defense advantage over your opponents for all of your units, either leveling some battlefields with COs or tipping them
>Because they don't produce units, they don't act as checkpoints and the middle can remain a highly fought for area, but its not worthless if everyone wants the upper-hand bonuses
I really like having map makers, and making my own maps to play around on is always fun.

Best CO from best game right here.

This map made me lose my shit. The only mission, normal or hard campaign, that made me look up a day to day guide.

>Play Dual Strike for the first time
>Get to the mission with the flying black fortress and the black crystals
>Immediately think to myself "oh these crystals are gonna be used for some serious bullshit later down the road"
Sometimes you can just smell the bullshit before it's even there.

Central bases are too good. The army that captures it (usually the one who goes first) is guaranteed to win. From a design perspective, you definitely want the center to be something that can't shit out any more infantry.

Crystal Calamity is such horseshit. That's the only map I've seen that's actually easier on the hard campaign.

Days of Ruin already fixed infantry spam. All they have to do is make a new game and NOT regress back into subtraction defense/defensive charging

>I'd always lose pretty bad because of some fundamental flaw I didn't and still don't really get
Did you forget to make MANs?

Just finished 2 a while ago and loved it, although some missions, specially green earth were bullshit. the last two missions weren't that hard, nothing beats DoRs.

So if you could have your own custom CO, what would your powers and focus be? Try to keep them reasonably balanced.
>Passive ability
>CO power
>Super

>Get +1 movement if you started your turn on a building or road
>CO Power: Double movement, but can't attack
>Super: Double movement, can attack

Infantry cost 2000.
CO powers randomly turn infantry you control into vehicles.

So, Adder's and Koal's third cousin?

Oh is it time for autism? Here I go.

Name: Payne (Black Hole)
Description: A mysterious CO who hides his face under a mask. Likes using heavyweight units to cause massive payne. No one knows why he joined Black Hole, or how he comes up with his insane and suicidal plans.

Passive Ability: When a Heavy Tank, Bomber or Battleship gets destroyed, adjacent enemy units are dealt 3 damage. Reduced ATK/DEF (80/80) for all Infantry.

CO Power: Little Bombs (4 Stars needed)
Halves purchasing cost for Heavy Tanks, Bombers and Battleships. Also refuels their ammo and fuel.

Super: Fat Bombs (8 Stars needed)
When a Heavy Tank, Bomber or Battleship destroys an enemy unit, it gains another turn. Max turn a unit can get is three.

Tag Team compatibility with:
110% - Max (Big Bites)
120% - Grimm (Maximum Mayhem)
130% - Flak (Bad Day)

What do you think? Balanced or not?

>80/80 infantry

>Payne

Infantry are the most important unit in the game, and his would be the worst in the series. You need something huge to make up for having bad infantry (see Colin), and 12 stars to give two or three units galeforce isn't going to cut it.
Either extend the death counter to all units, or make the half-price tech units a passive and tamp down their stats to like 100/70.

Dual strike but Days of Ruin was really good to, just that I have more memories of DS being passed around from those school camp trips.
Hachi/Sensei or Colin/Sasha depending how I felt.
Sasha's theme always come to mind

>Favorite game
Dark Conflict

>Favorite COs
O'Brian and Zadia.

>Favorite theme
youtube.com/watch?v=ElgVrXizcp8

why did the localization team have to rename everything? I have no idea who the fuck you're talking about