What went wrong?

What went wrong?

consoles

Consoles, which meant smaller levels, no swimming and no rope arrows.

The game is still decent though and if you get the Sneaky Upgrade, a fuckload of issues are fixed including small levels since they stitched them all together to remove load zones. Thief DS with Sneaky Upgrade is a legit good game and I'd say a decent follow up to the first two.

Also the improvements in stealth, with the new lighting system, guard AI inquisitiveness, and the ability to set traps for guards was fantastic.

nothing get over it allready

the games terrible engine had more to do with it

The blame is put on consoles but frankly the devs are at fault.

They tried to create their own engine but sucked at it. They should have stuck to licensing engines created by more competent developers.

Hubs. The nature of Thief is best used with linear levels, having to run around to get to the next mission was shit and actually seeing Garrett's apartment rather than it being a plot device that you should never see that is left to the players imagination (That shithole needed that much rent?) ruined it. Leave the hubs to Deus Ex which exemplified it best.

Thief = Pure Linear
Deus Ex = Hubs with Linear Maps
System Shock = Mazelike (Pure Hub)

Nothing. It was good.

What's with all the thief threads as of late?

It wasn't as great as the earlier Thief games but it was by no means bad.

You should have posted Thi4f. Now that's a legitimately bad thief game.

I loved the way you had to find the black market, following the handprints and all

No, it was stupid.

Not an argument.

>They tried to create their own engine but sucked at it. They should have stuck to licensing engines created by more competent developers.
Thief DS used Unreal Engine 2.

>System Shock = Mazelike

There's nothing wrong with a Thief game having a hub.

Leave Garrett's apartment to the player's imagination? This is your reasoning behind declaring hubs bad? Who the fuck has even thought about Garrett's apartment once before it was "ruined" by being revealed in Thief 3? Nobody cares about his apartment, revealed or not.

The devs tore the engine to pieces. They practically rebuilt the entire thing and they weren't nearly as good at it as Epic were.

Nothing. It was excellent.

>There's nothing wrong with a Thief game having a hub

The two worst Thief games have hubs, they are a major reason why a lot of the atmosphere and gameplay complexity was lost from the first two.

>Leave Garrett's apartment to the player's imagination? This is your reasoning behind declaring hubs bad? Who the fuck has even thought about Garrett's apartment once before it was "ruined" by being revealed in Thief 3? Nobody cares about his apartment, revealed or not.

Garrets apartment isn't related to the hub argument, but there is no reason for his apartment to feature in the game, it adds nothing. Also it has been brought up in several threads.

Wasn't Garrett's apartment already shown in Thief 2?

>but there is no reason for his apartment to feature in the game
Worldbuilding? iirc his landlord is a dick and you can eventually steal something nice from him.

It's nothing big but I don't see why you would consider his house featuring in the game a bad thing.

The hub is another story. Pointless filler.

>The two worst Thief games have hubs, they are a major reason why a lot of the atmosphere and gameplay complexity was lost from the first two.

No, you remove the hubs from those games and they are still shit because the gameplay and level design is inferior to the previous games. That's why they suck.

>it has been brought up in several threads

You say this like it means something. I don't care that the autists around here will scrap the bottom of the barrel in a pathetic attempt to pretend their personal tastes are objective truths.

Yes, for one level where it actually was incorporated into the gameplay and mission, not having to start there at the beginning of every level and run to your location.

It would have been fine if they found a way to put it in a mission. Maybe have him start out from there in one of the early missions, or have him navigate through a city on lockdown (which would be a level, not a hub) to get back to it.

>not liking the hub world side quests
>Captured lake monster
>Garret poser

>You say this like it means something

You made the claim that 'nobody cares' about Garretts apartment and then tell me it doesn't matter when I mention that people have cared in the past.

Nothing. You are lucky people work their asses off so games exist.

I honestly can't remember those sidequests. Or much of the plot at all really.

Something something missing kids something evil witch something something living statues

No engine is inherently bad. However it's limited by the device used to run it.

>doesn't understand hyperbole

I was only kidding with the autist comment but I guess I was closer to the truth than I thought.

>What went wrong?

Everything. The entire game was a step down from everything that was achieved in Thief 2.

Why is Cred Forums filled with so much oldfag bullshit as of late?

Because not many games come out anymore and most of the ones that do come out are either indie shit or homogenized AAA crap.

SHALEBRIDGE

FUCKING

CRADLE

NOPE

Best thief?

Nice to see you guys are still falling for the may-mays

Cradle is not that good, I'm tired of late fucks coming in and memeing on the newer game because it was on their console.

Return to the cathedral will always be the scariest mission.