What are your thoughts on the Myst series?

What are your thoughts on the Myst series?

Other urls found in this thread:

mystonline.com/en/play/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I liked the first one but couldn't get into any of the others. I haven't played Obduction in weeks now so at this point it's unlikely that I'll ever finish it. Moving around and getting to the puzzles is too much of a chore for me, and in that sense Myst was better simply because it was smaller.

I liked Riven, but my save got corrupted so I just watched the last quarter on youtube

never played the rest

I like the first 4. Very awesome lore and world design. Interesting puzzles too.

2 > 4 > 3 > 1

you can finish the first game in 90 seconds. that's faster than 'gone home'

A true pinnacle of gaming.

Only because you can travel instantly from point to point. If you had to actually walk around it would take much longer.

>Only because you can travel instantly from point to point.
huh?

Finishing the game in 90 seconds is possible because the game doesn't change what the puzzle answers are like Riven does.

What happened to the TV show?

I felt like there was an insane difficulty jump from Myst to Riven, but maybe I was just young at the time.

Exile was alright.

Don't remember much about Revelations except that I thought the retcon about Achenar actually being an OK dude who was manipulated by Sirrus was dumb.

I wasn't a fan of the tablet thing in End of Ages at all.

I played both recently and there's definitely a big jump in difficulty.
I'm terrible at adventure games but Myst was relatively easy. Riven is impossible.

riven gets easier when you study the classroom, their alphabet and language. its pretty over the top. uru had a similar case of "you gotta learn their alphabet" . i loved the multiplayer co op part of uru

Found this in a Goodwill with a hardcover startagy guide. It came bundled with Neverhood and a dev note about it.

Did I waste $2?

The biggest problem I have with Riven is that there's puzzles that take place over all the islands.
In Myst each world was its own separate set of puzzles.

Played 1-3
Never played Uru,4 or 5 and at this point I'll probably never play 4, I'm actually currently rereading book of atrus.

How's Obduction?

Ironic that you make this post because when Myst first came out there was a massive backlash against it from the "hardcore" gaming community who said the same thing people said about Gone Home.

"This isn't a fucking game all you do is walk around and click on stuff and read books"

Myst will always be part of my most memorable childhood moments, as I played it through with my dad. Riven had some amazing atmosphere, but obtuse-as-fuck puzzles. Never played 3 and beyond.

Why is the underground rail puzzle in Myst always brought up as one of the hardest puzzles?
I found it to be one of the easiest puzzles in the games. I don't know if you can even call it a puzzle.

>making a myst thread on nu-Cred Forums
prepare for walking sim slideshow butthurt

If it was the original release, maybe. I bought Myst+Riven years ago on CD and for some reason I couldn't play it (on Windows XP). Perhaps it didn't run at full screen or something, I don't remember. I played it eventually after pirating the remastered version, Real Myst.

It's the sole reason why I hate adventure games.

Is The Starry Expanse ever going to be released?

Even Real Myst now barely works on modern machines. You have to buy Real Myst Remastered Edition to get a fucking working version of the game.

I seriously doubt there was a backlash against the game for being SJW propaganda perpetrated by untalented hipsters and appealing to nostalgia. At the very least anyone had to admire the visuals of the game; I know I did when I saw a printed review for the Mega CD version and it made enough of an impact to make me eventually buy the game when I got a PC.

The standards keep getting lower anyways, in vidya as well as every other form of entertainment media, so that doesn't tell us much.

Daily builds of ScummVM can emulate both Myst and Riven

4 isn't worth it, and 5 is just unused levels from Uru that never made it to the older online version.

Uru can be played for free - mystonline.com/en/play/

And with both it's about the ridiculous notion that a game shouldn't exist if it doesn't appeal to you specifically.

One of my favourite games of all time, I have many memories of playing it together with my older sister when I was a kid

I still have the Myst book you got from buying the 1st game

What's up with that sex doll, and why is it wearing a suit?

3ds version any good?