No

No

Nope, gaming is now too big to fail.

Sorry.

Maybe

There could be.
But there won't be.

Unfortunately yes

There was like 24 years ago. We're due for another one.

Nope too big.
Too much faith in video games there's always a market to buy something no matter how shitty

The last "crash" was just one of the sectors going belly flop, the console gaming.
PCs and specially arcades were just fine back then.
So in this sense yes, we could have a "crash", most likely on the mobile gaming.
But as with the last one, it will only last 1-2 years until someone comes and reinvent the market, probably with some seal of quality and harsh restrictions to avoid shitty game diarrea.

Also it will not be called a "crash of video games" because people today aren't as whiny and entitled as atari was back then.

Some kind of crash might be possible but not on the same scale of the one during the 80s.

I hope so.

Too many shit eating children who fuel the industry with their parent's money, not a chance.

Underrated

Not a chance.
We're so wrapped up in pre-order culture, micro-transactions, on disc DLC and random chance loot crates, that the industry is just too big now.
It'd be like the movie industry crashing, it just couldn't happen anymore.
Every year publishers see how much further they can fuck us in the ass, it's only a matter of time. Xbone and paid mods got a backlash, so they'll hold off for a while until the time is "right" to try fucking us again. Just like horse armour with Oblivion and the backlash that received, now look at us.

Nope

Hue.

Crash is already due to happen. The market is saturated with shovelware, it'll be just a question of time until the new casual userbase notices this. The market can't even get much bigger than what it is at the moment, so at some point rising production costs will get too high for there to actually be competition as investing in a new ip or product is tantamount to fiscal suicide. Thus only things we will see are iterations upon iterations (cod anyone?).

This is an ongoing phenomenon so it is kind of hard to predict, but imo as for definite timelines as to when the crash will finally happen, maybe five to ten years.

I think casuals will skip directly to the next "nintendo".
It will be an store or app that have a "seal of quality" that actually worth something, and the word will quickly spread that "if you want good games, just install X", which will lead on a dramatic collapse of sales of games outside this walls.

b nvmmbhn

If vidya keeps disappointing, yes, it's bound to happen.

Otherwise

I think these console updates have the potential to do some real damage.

>mfw Something Sony related was pulling the nostalgia card.

No.

A big publisher or dev could fall but the industry itself won't.
The "crash" you talk about only affected the USA, Japan kept producing consoles and Europe had the home computer.

there wasn't even a first crash. it's a meme. sure there might have been a slight dip in interest, but the same thing happens every few years. it': just the older generation sensationalizing something that happens all the time because they want to feel special. never has been a real crash, probably never will be.

The first crash happened because people stop buying games.

But that design looks good

No and anyone saying otherwise is an idiot.

Idiots are gonna keep feeding the hype machine and falling for Jewish tricks. Not gonna happen unless they look out for consumer interests instead of immediate satisfaction.

No.

People actually enjoy playing shitty games now.

still waiting for the crash

I don't think so.

I believe it could have occurred due to the lack of visible improvement of games or the rising development costs to make AAA games and subsequent failures of those games, resulting in gamers losing interest and publishers going under... But I think now that the whole VR thing will, maybe not soon, but eventually be the refresher that keeps the big AAA publishers making plenty of money. Also, in general it seems that casual gamers do not really give a fuck about what they play. The same old rehashed shooters and sports games can keep the publishers afloat just fine.

Meanwhile I think the indie scene will continue to grow and to an extent, take over a lot of ground that the big publishers used to cover. Not to mention mobile will continue to grow with casual gamers and publishers will continue to push further into that market.

So all in all, I think the industry will be just fine.

>market flooded with unfinished and generic garbage with no one taking risks
Probably, won't be the same as the last time though. The worst that will happen is indie studios will die out, the Call of Duties and Battlefield's will be fine since every normie retard seems to buy that shit.

There always could be another crash, but it'd have to be across many sectors to have as much impact as the last one did. I can see consoles falling apart, but PC and Mobile? There's just too much there. Gaming might get hurt a bit when the app bubble bursts and SF becomes normal again, but it's just got so many factors involved it'd be hard for gaming companies to get as shellacked as much as they did in the 80's.

As someone with an economics background, I'd say its a sign of a healthy market actually. The producers, video game companies, are lowering prices in order to capture all of the consumer surplus. Not every consumer wants to drop $60-$120 before/on the release date, so after a while, they get as many people who want to pay $60 as possible, and then lower their prices to snag the money of those who only are willing to pay less. Valve's promotions of 75% off are brilliant because they not only shift the price of a game into a realm where many new gamers buy it, but they can then generate interest in the gaming community for that game all over again, so that when the price goes back up, more people will buy it.
Personally, I'd say the market is extremely healthy. We, as consumers, have many inexpensive options, which means there are many companies competing for our money.

No. A bubble happens to something you invest in - housing, firms, mortgage-backed securities, , etc. Consumers don't invest in video games. Yes, you can get a lot of money for a gold Ocarina of Time cart, but that market is relatively small (and given inflation, you might not be making much money at all). When you resell a console game, you usually get less than you paid.
There could be a bubble on the industry side, if we saw a lot of companies or intellectual properties being purchased at inflated prices. If EA paid Microsoft $1 billion for the rights to Blinx the Time Sweeper, that would probably be an over-valuation - but we'd need to see a massive trend of this sort of behavior before we could reasonably believe there's a bubble.
As for the question of sustainability, I think the market as a whole is getting better rather than worse. The higher range of prices and relatively early price drops represent responsiveness to demand, which is a very good thing. What this means for ultra-high budget development in particular, I'm not sure.

Will the music industry ever fail ?

Probably not, but it sure needs one. Games aren't evolving anymore and over saturation is becoming more prevalent by the day.

The console market might fall, but the mobile side has no chance of failure in this current climate. The only thing that could dethrone mobile is if a new tech replaces it but doesn't keep a way to develop and make video games for the new tech.

user why did you post a blank picture isn't that bannable?

there needs to be

this

Do you guys think a system like spotify or netflix but with vidya instead would solve piracy?

there is gamefly

if you have to pay for it no since thats the whole point of pirating, dumbass

Literally impossible in this age.

Holy fuck you're dumb. A crash is caused by users shrugging and not buying. That is tied almost perfectly to quality. Nobody even pretends there are quality mobile games, even teenage dipshit girls admit they just waste time with free shit.

You may hate consoles but there are over a hundred million people per gen that disagree. You don't have to like AAA games to see they offer a level of quality worth at least some money.

The '83 crash was wrapped up in shit games coming out for shit systems and entirely too much overpriced hardware competition. It was impossible to keep up with any reasonable budget and even if you did you were getting games made in 2-4 months with no quality control.

The market is too mature to just up and die like that now. Except on mobile.

Thats not what caused the housing bubble and crash doh

That was HUD, gses, and financial deregulation leading to giving mortgages on 600k houses to anyone with 10 grand, lumping mortgages, and consolidating/trading between banks

Everything else spot on doh

No. Do I think people would use it? Yes.
If Steam did it? Yes.
If Origin made Origin Access? No.

Well it's not really a good comparison because you can't stream games. A system like GOG's is much better imo, pay once and you just have the game no strings attached and they gather stuff froom many different developers, genres etc. If they expanded more that would be the ideal system, basically paid piracy. If only copyright issues didn't exist we could have a great system like that for films too...

The only video game industry in a remotely similar position as the crash would be the mobile game industry, but Cred Forums doesnt give a fuck about those

If the vidya industry would crash, it'd had happened a few years ago. But now, there's no way big companies won't be profitable anymore. They bought out all the good, smaller companies like 10 years ago and that's precisely why the AA market is dead and we're stuck with either lazy AAA titles with tired formulae or pretentious indie shit that may be good, but technically still lags a lot behind the bigger titles. There's no middle ground.

I don't see this scenario changing anytime soon. The "too big to fail" saying is very true, unfortunately.

>but Cred Forums doesnt give a fuck about those
Pokemon Go proved everybody wrong.

thats what causes a bubble to "pop" yeah, but i was saying there is no market bubble in gaming

Yes. It already happened, and its still happening.

Tell that to the 600 employees laid off from Disney Interactive this year.

I can see a mobile crash actually.

Ah yes, the profilic Disney interactive. The company that had one gimmicky product aimed at kids is a good representative of the market. The same way as THQ in 2012 showed how Vidya was dead. Or Kingdom of Amalur studio failure.

What is there to crash in mobiles? The games aren't exacly expensive or risky to make, with top companies raking in billions a year. Sure, some fall and some arise. But systemic crash? where is the evidence

Why do you not like Call of Duty, Cred Forums?

Are you a normalshit that says "eww, COD"?

This looks like a Sega arcade game.

youtube.com/watch?v=irIkbTen53k

Onlive and PSNow already tried this and they sucked because streaming games sucks.

Also it wouldn't do anything to piracy because pirates refuse to pay for games so why would they pay for a service like this

It's cause it's all about the hype culture now same is it is in any media industry. People long ago lost the will and reason that comes with basic critical thinking and caveat emptor which according to millennials just makes you a hater and has them asking what's up with it. I forget where I saw it but really nowadays you preorder and pay the mark up for hype, not for quality entertainment in an end product.

>Tell that to the 600 employees laid off from Disney Interactive this year.

A company closing a division that was ,basically, leaching money. is not the same as a market drying up. All they had was infinity and that was not profitable anymore. So they had like 600 people doing pretty much fuck all everyday. Yea, they fuckin shut it down.

For those saying there will be a market crash beause of "lack of innovation", where were you in the 90's when there were a million sidescrollers that all essentially controlled the same?

>Normalshit that says 'eww, COD'
>Instead of a casual dudebro 'guns bruh, awesome!'
Yea, you told him!

>The market can't even get much bigger than what it is
Yes it can.

Those were actually good, though.

And what's wrong with guns?

Are you an sjw that prefers walking sims?

Okay, sure, Disney Infinity wasn't the smashing success people had hoped.

Oversaturation of the market for starters, something that's already happening. On top of that, the freemium model itself many games have adopted, and businesses referring to their customer base as whales.

That's just one example. My point remains, this industry has high levels of turnover and poor practices.

No they don't. Look at the division. Sold like fucking hot cakes. Barely even breaks 1k online now. People don't like "playing" shitty games no. They literally by off of hype and expectations and drop it 50hrs in once they realize there's no fun to be had. Fuck, look at the no mans sky. Most people with a brain knew it was gonna trash. But I got 10 people OK n my steams friends list who haven't touched in the last 2 weeks.

hat makes this youtube.com/watch?v=RjSCoCeG0vI

better than this? youtube.com/watch?v=CKPzsH4lZjM

or this? youtube.com/watch?v=zdgh3-VYupA

better than this? youtube.com/watch?v=wr7s7pvcM_c

>Sony
>Caring about their fans or history in anyway

I don't dislike cod in the sense that I think all the games on their own are bad but I do dislike that they release one every year and they all play very similarly, even with the new abilities and movement stuff tacked on. I stopped buying them after MW2 and anytime I played subsequent ones they just felt like the same game I had played a hundred times. They've just been iterating on CoD4 for the past 9 years and it got old after 2 games. They need a new CoD4 that changes how the series feels for me to consider getting back into it

No
Even if the big sector had issues, that wouldn't affect the joe neckbeards in a garage making games today

I'm pretty sure the mobile market is headed for a crash as the general consumer gets more saavy to the freemium model. Look at Google Play or the App Store and it's basically a tsunami of shit even your grandma is starting to think is lame and repetitive.

Besides that segment of the market, though, I don't think gaming is in danger of any major contractions. Ignoring whiny faggots on Cred Forums, there really isn't that much discontent with the general state of gaming with console or PC owners. Plus with Denuvo curbing widespread piracy, many more studios seem emboldened to expand their releases to PC markets.

Black OPS3 plays nothing like Modern Warfare 2.

Maybe you're just a normalfag that disliked the infinite warfare trailer.

>high levels of turnover and bad practices

I don't know friend. Bad practices, Yea, I'll give you that m8. But the turnover rate seems to be isolated events. More of a result of poor planning and execution. Like Lucas arts. I know a guy who used to work in the games division. Said it was run by a bunch of rich man-children. Had no concept of schedules, budgeting, or what the audience wanted. Said there shit sold because the IP was good. But in between that there was a bunch of uncertainty. I think we're just seeing middle ware houses not transition well to the changing industry.

>They've just been iterating on CoD4 for the past 9 years and it got old after 2 games.
Hmm, sounds like Sonic genesis games. Only difference was levels got longer and more gimmicks were added.

the sheer amount of indie developers right now alongside the massive failure (in the public eye) of no man's sky, leads me to believe that there will be an indie game crash within the next few years. I think we have another 5-10 years before the average consumer gets sick of buying the same 5 games rehashed every year, which is when we'll either get some new IPs from the AAA developers or they'll begin a serious decline.

The game industry crashing now would be like Hollywood crashing, it won't happen. It's just 20+ basement dwellers longing for gaming to return to the so called "good old days" of it being a hobby only weird people did and was hardcore. Ask any kid today and Minecraft will be the best thing since slice bread, as Mario Bros. was to a kid 30 years ago. You've become bitter and jaded. The market no longer caters for you as you're the minority.

>Instead of a casual dudebro 'guns bruh, awesome!'
Found the numale that plays Gone Home while sniffing his own farts!

I know, right? Who cares about gameplay?

The crash of the old Atari days was caused by consumers who didn't have access to information, they couldn't tell good games from the bad ones, so they decided to write off all games as shovelware.

Today there is plenty of information about upcoming and released games thanks to the internet. You may know a lot of the issues of a game by watching the first 30 minutes of gameplay.

You could tell No Man's Sky had issues just by watching how so much of the shitty game was about shooting rocks over and over for resources. People still get tricked by hype and shit, but the difference is that there are ways to wise up today, meanwhile back then all purchases were made in complete darkness, even video games journalism wasn't a thing.

Thing is indies have been the only games worth buying for years. AAA is nearly complete garbage.

We have it right now. This is as big as it gets

But that's enough for developers to survive. Everyone panned Watch_Dogs yet they made more than enough money to make a second one

>It's just 20+ basement dwellers longing for gaming to return to the so called "good old days" of it being a hobby only weird people did and was hardcore
>a hobby only weird people did and was hardcore

Video games have never been hardcore, it's always been for uncultured masses that only get a response from virtual killing and getting high scores.

Video games were never cinema. Video games never had a Golden Age of Hollywood or a New Age. They've always been commercial dribble for pigs.

Piracy is dying making finding some things a pain in the ass such as vidya soundtracks, Spotify has a surprising amount of soundtracks

I think that might just be the point of view of someone who grew up gaming in the early 2000s when we were bombarded with the same game yearly. The younger kids these days, from what I see, are totally fine with the yearly re-release schedule of call of duty and assassins creed.

I played faithfully up until ghosts. I bought ghosts and it was hot garbage, then I fucked up and bought AW and it was hotter garbage. Then I got back into milsim and realistic shooters like RO2 and insurgency. Lately its been a steady dose of siege and squad with RO2 mixed in. Cred Forums hated the casuals who like cod. Said it was ruining vidya. Now since everyone's off the bandwagon its OK to like it again because its the "anti cool" thing to do. Fuck off faggot.

Ggn has a shitton of vgm ost

>Black OPS3 plays nothing like Modern Warfare 2.
The beta played very similarly so unless they completely revamped the game yes it does. The new movement abilities don't make it feel like a different game, it feels like an expansion on a game I got bored of years ago. It's like when an MMO adds flying mounts, yeah wow you can fly around but it's still the same game.

Again, I don't think the game is bad. The beta was fine from a gameplay standpoint but I'm not going to pay 60 dollars for a game I've already put hundreds of hours in.

>Maybe you're just a normalfag that disliked the infinite warfare trailer.
I didn't say anything about the trailer. All the trailers I've seen so far have been great (except the awful cover in the first one), the single player ones in particular. In regards to the one you posted, they always make their multiplayer trailers look far cooler than the games actually are. That doesn't mean it's a bad trailer but it does mean it's unrealistic.

>I played faithfully up until ghosts.
You have to be over 18 to post here

when we weren't* bombarded
sorry.

Yea it is. But for how long though? And I honestly don't see anyone giving a fuck about wootch dawgs too right now.

You faggots are asking this since years already. That should answers you.

it was already planned as a multiple games series, they thought they were creating the new AssCreed success wise, the frogs have a sense of humor there

I'm 28 faggot. First online game I played was Battle zone 2. Nice try though.

Get off my Cred Forums grandpa!!

>I'm 28 faggot
Sure you are, kid.

>Release bug ridden game
>Can just patch it later
>Job security

you never heard of bots?

I'm not saying it didn't sell at all, I'm saying it's pretty easy to put makeup on your products' popularity. They claim Watch_Dogs sold MILLIONS. However if you check carefully, there's the data that Watch Dogs shipped 8 millions copies. Keyword here is shipped, it means retailers bought into the hype, but who knows if those games were really that hot?

Mobile might. Not exactly crash, but a lot if companies buckling under their own weight. For example, Goodgame just fired some 200 employees. This happens because their games start declining but they hired tons of people to maintain them and try to develop new, less successful games. Revenue naturally declines as players inevitably lose interest, but the very strongest, like Supercell takes more and more control of the market.

I'm not about to prove my age on a anonymoose indo-chinese picture messaging forum you fucking cock smoker.

No, but I hope there is one.

That's hardly a crash, that's just people getting tired of moneygrabs, those copypasted games, even the most casuals eventually get tired of shitty practices, in a market filled with shovelware such as mobile is, people will eventually spend money more carefully because you can only milk the same "flailing birdo" thing for so long.

That's exactly what happened with the original crash.

No, the original crash was people couldn't tell bad games from good because they had no information. Today you have apps with a reviews section, so people can spend less money but just think more before they open their wallets. There's more transparency in the industry now than there ever was in the old Atari days. see

I could see AAA games being less of a focus. None of the publishers have been successful with their new IP's.

Now this is just your dumb conspiracy shit

Take a step back, it's not as crazy as you think it is

Imagine being this stupid.

>the industry isn't corrupt

>conspiracy shit
you must be naive as fuck

I have youtube videos, I can add views but being on a computer and pressing refresh on it. Or did you forget EA using bots to prop their game, whatever it was? Signed Olviia from Bolivia

AssCreed was always selling by the truckloads, right? Too bad the sales must be so good they decided to not sell an AC game this year. They don't have to make the situation of their IPs public. This isn't to say that Ubisoft is dying, but they can simply paint an image to the public that would benefit their IPs.

You don't want to play our amazing Watch_Dogsā„¢ new IP? Every kid on the block is! Look at all those views! It's the hottest new IP now.

I'm not seeing it. Check the comments of Watch_Dogs 2 trailer you posted, tons of negativity and comments on downgrade of the first game.

The majority of the people playing games don't even play them for 50 hours. A lot of my normalfag friends who would like you to believe they are "hardcore gaymurs", don't actually play very much of, never mind finish any of the games they buy.

That's why the majority of people playing games are fine with eating shit. They don't play video games enough to know what's literal shit and what isn't.

There needs to be, but there won't be. Casual and mobile gaming are gigantic beasts now and are too big to fail.

or they don't mind spending money on a game to play 10 minutes of it and never again, maybe someday they'll do

tons of Steam users don't even play the games they have, people just impulse buy games that have killer deals, and amass a massive backlog that they'll never finish

>your whole post

People have been playing the same exact game for 12 years, released yearly with the same 4 DLC packs that cost 40 extra shekels.
They just randomly add jet packs, robots or parkour or just some random gimick.
BO1 was the last good ones because zombies was still interesting, but even then 40 for all maps is a fucking robbery.

The industry is too big and too faceted nowadays. A crash is basically impossible.

>movie watching plebeian thinks his jew art form is superior to vidya