What JRPG has the best post-game content and why?

What JRPG has the best post-game content and why?

>post-game

Those numbers doesn't make any sense.

>using a single, overpowered unit to clear item world stages
>still need 2 more damn trophies for platinum

One day I'll feel like grinding more.

for RPGs in general, my drive to play the game depends on whether there's more story to experience or not

I lose pretty much all interest to keep playing if the complete story is "finished"

I like to replay them though

PS1 era Final Fantasies had pretty good ones. All the minigames, side quests, weapons, bosses and so on were really really neat.

But I think Tales of Graces top that just because of the content in terms of gameplay. Also how the game works, starting a NG+ can feel like a post game challenge.

Tales of Xillia 2 was also pretty fun during post game.

>playing games for the story

I cannot get into Disgaea and I'm really not sure why. I mean when I started playing the games I never expected to get a character to max level or some shit because fuck grinding that much but I don't think I've ever been able to bring myself to clear the second chapter of one of them.

weird. disgaea and similar games are the only games I find fun anymore. the battle system from 3 and on is perfect.

Best jrpg there is. Though sadly not a lot of people play Disgaea.

Was kinda bumped Nis didn't announce any spin-off title. Always wanted a new Makai Kingdom.

Yeah weird for me too because I really enjoy turn based strategy games and the stat system seems like it would be perfect for me but whenever I try playing them I always feel like I'm forcing myself and not having any fun. When I list the game systems to myself everything sounds great with the exception of how grindy stuff apparently gets later on and the system for learning abilities, but somehow that doesn't translate into actual gameplay.

I think it's probably the level design. That's the one big thing that can't be easily boiled down and compared to other games I've played before so I can tell if I like it or not.

I'm thinking about getting the Disgaea Triple Play for PS3 (that one includes 3, 4 and D2). I only played Disgaea 2 on ps2 and like it, is the bundle worth getting?

Isn't it how much shit you can do at any time ?

I live these games but everytime during m'y first playthrough I hit that "wall" where theres so much shit to do I can't properly concentrate on one thing and I feel like i'm half assing the game

I get over it by giving myself clear goals and ignoring certain mechanics till I finish this playthrough

Hmm, interesting. I definitely feel on some level you should enjoy a bit of grinding or at least the idea of increasing your level to truly enjoy Disgaea. It's interesting that you mention level design though. I find I have the most fun in the game in the item world and level design wise those are trash since it's been randomly generated. There are levels you can't even complete due to randomization. For me, the game definitely scratches the itch of the game can fuck me over in so many ways, it feels good to get powerful enough to kick the crap out of any scenario.

Is Disgaea on PC any good?

After the updates adding the missing extra characters, it's the definitive version of the first game thanks to the ui enhancements. Hopefully one day we'll get some mods too.

3's not worth it at all, skip it. 4's alright just get D2 since the series mechanics improves a little by every game they release.

Are these numbers just super inflated for hilarity or what

Play Hour of Darkness, m8.

I legit don't understand why the item world is as addicting as it is

I think it's because everything is cramped really close while the main maps have a shitton of breathing room so it can take several turns before shit gets real

Not at all. There's a post game boss(Land of Carnage Baal) that will still wreck the shit out of you even with stats like mine & op's

I want so bad to get into the post game of the Disgaea series but I can never do that much grinding for the sake of itself. I wish they'd add a mechanic where you have a chance of encountering story elements in the item world. The 3-4 bonus scenes and obligatory Laharal appearance just isn't enough to keep me going.

I liked 4 a lot, but I haven't played D2 or 5 yet.

With the amount of content in a single Disgaea game you probably don't need 3 unless there's a significant discount. Like the other user says you should probably just get one and focus on it. I could see playing multiple Disgaea games at the same time just being tiring. If you still have an urge to play after playing 300 hours in one game, then I think you've justified paying full price for another one.

That stopped me the first time but later times I've tried I spent like a hour reading through all the descriptions and I basically understand how everything works, although there are a few minor things I haven't quite figured out yet like some shit about giant characters. How much stuff there is is one of the reasons I wanna like these games so much cuz it seems cool.

See I don't even mind grinding if the base gameplay is good because then I'm just playing the game more.

I just don't know. I guess the level design might just be a deal breaker for me. I guess I'll try it again though.

Thanks for the responses.
In my country I can only get D2 or Triple Play (for about the same price, a little bit overpriced both). Is that or importing, but then I'd have to pay stupid taxes, so it would be the same.

>had a couple days free
>decide to go for the 100 floor item world tropy on D3 Vita
>have a tendency to clear the floors to level up characters instead of just speeding through them
>it's monday now and I'm only at floor 85
>sound has started glitching too

Yeah, I see why people have dedicated characters for Item world. Then again, Clearing 10 floors every now and then is fine for me, it's just that doing all 100 in one go seems too much. The trophy for doing it in LoC is gonna be hell, isn't it.

Chances are it's because Disgaea games bombard you with mechanics right at the start. Usually the tutorials last until chapter 2 with the obligatory Item World run marking the end of them. I remember watching someone try to stream the PS2 version of the first game and he didn't even reach Mid-Boss before just quitting.

I like the chaos the randomization provides. You have to plan out some pretty crazy shit sometimes. Using the throw command is vital to survival, it always feels good to me to complete a level in a single turn thanks to throws. The randomization also means sometimes the game will give you really good grinding locations. Just one invincibility panel and suddenly you can make your shitty characters a lot less shitty.

I don't think it's that though because I spent like an hour reading up on the game and I'm pretty sure I understand the mechanics. I've also played plenty of stuff with weird mechanics that were explained a lot more poorly before cough cough FFT cough cough

Usually tri-ace games have excellent post-game dungeons

valkyrie profile 1/2, radiata stories, star ocean 2/3

Heard Disgaea 4 is the best there is but somehow cant get into it.
Technically I would love something FFT like and I think D4 might be mechanically there but many small things make it boring for me.

Not sure how many there original levels there is but since most of the combat is going on in item world its all look like bunch of unimaginative boxes stacked on top of eachother.
After hundredth fights it get tiring fast, especially when most of the time something is obscuring the view regardless of how you turn camera.

Progression takes too long, I played probably close to 70 hours by now but I dont really have many skills that would make this game technically interesting.
At the moment despite all those hours of play I just have very few attacks that would make a tactical difference compared to FFT where it actually counted.

I guess boring level design is the biggest letdown for me, I could grind of hours if it wasnt all same boxes over and over again, its like I am constantly on the same map.
Story related maps are nothing special either.
FFT or FFTA had much more nicer and more interesting maps.

If you ever plan on getting a Vita just get 3 and 4 for that console instead. The PS3 bundle doesn't include the DLC, and that can easily cost more than what each individual game costs, while the Vita versions already include that plus additional content and some updated things.

I used to but it's the same shit every game and I have never thought the story was interesting at all.

I'll probably play 5 when it comes on PC though since the last one I played was 4 before they fixed the cloning bug. I need cheats to stay sane in this game.

Then I'd say get Triple Play and not have to worry about buying your country's inflated priced video games for a long time.

Getting the best stuff from LoC item world & those flashy anime moves is what keeps me going honestly.

It's Disgaea.

Absolutely not. These games are all about grinding your balls off. Getting the most recent one should set up you for a long ass time if grinding is what you like to do.

>playing games for post-game content
autism

>Best jrpg there is
>shallow fan service grinding game
>best anything

I've got a bad habit of this too. I'll do all the side content I can before I beat the game provided I know about it (I'm looking at you ps2 jrpgs with random npcs giving you end game quests), but once the credits roll I'm usually spent. This probably has to due with turn based combat taking a long fucking time more often than not, even when it is really enjoyable. After spending anywhere between 60-120 hours on a single game, I usually don't feel compelled to keep playing when given a good reason to stop. However, if the combat was fast as fuck like Soul Hackers, or had quality of life enhancements like animation forwarding, then I'd be much more likely to spend more time with the game.

As for games with good post-game, I recall .hack GU being pretty well off in that department. FFXII too from what I've heard. And while XCX does't really have a post-game since it's open world with very few roadblocks, it does have enough content to leave you with plenty to do once you've completed the story, which even takes a backseat to the rest of the game.

Everyone, listen to me
No seriously this is good
I SAID SHUT THE FUCK UP

Okay.

A DISGAEA GAME...
WITH NUMBERS...
THAT ONLY REACH 99.

>boring level design
>unimaginative boxes
>randomization
There's your problem, if you want cleanly constructed levels in the item world you're gonna have a bad time. Item world levels are randomly generated, so of course a lot of them are going to look like a hot mess of boxes.

Well, the problem is that from what I reckon, almost all endgame content is behind those randomised levels and you know, its not even that they are randomised, its just because almost all content not related to story is happening on those levels.
If they threw some designed level in there that would be more ok than just boxes.

Even with randomization they could make a different theme than just various boxes thing.
They could make a forest levels or plains or some dungeons or something that is not boxes.

They could do this and just play with decimals and create the same system.

It's whole thing is big numbers, way to kill it's top selling point

the post games maps are what you work towards. the item world is still a ton of content, but there is something at the end of the tunnel for you to use all the shiny weapons on

>$30+ DLC
Price drop WHEN

In Dissidia 012, the story endgame is level 44. By that point, you will have maybe got to about 20% of the total inventory.

>Paper Disgaea
I'd play it.

Disgaea would be so good if the optimal strategies weren't:
Grinding on one unit and one-shotting every enemy on the first turn
-or-
Just running to the level gate on the first turn and not fighting anything

>Minmaxing in easy RPGs
How about
Not playing the game like a bitch

>Was kinda bumped Nis didn't announce any spin-off title. Always wanted a new Makai Kingdom.

Sadly most of the old dev team that made Nis games any good has left them some time ago after NIS tried to pull some shady shit after a company merge and pay their old dev team entry level salaries. Naturally the devs didnt stand for this and left NIS ether to compile heart or idea fuck.
I actually heard that Trillion: Lord of destruction was made by that same team that left NIS.
That and Harada, the main character designer for NIS has left them to become a freelancer.
Basically I have no hope for NIS anymore. Sad, but when it dies so does NIS america. So that s one retarded localizer off the map.

I feel ya
>The world is at the brink of destruction
>Go through all of the game's side content.
>Come back to the story in-game months later like nothing happened.

>Not playing the game like a bitch

Confirmed for talking about the game without ever playing.
If you ever tried disgaya you would knew how many events are where you can chat with someone and pick a fight or just leave but if you pick a fight, you might find out that the enemy is several thousands levels above you.
The only way to experience a game is actually to level the fuck out of your party then go find a tough gay or gal and hope this time you strong enough.

>PS1 era Final Fantasies had pretty good ones. All the minigames, side quests, weapons, bosses and so on were really really neat.

I think PS1 was the last generation that JRPGs could be properly realized before technology started taking its cut. 2D JRPGs on the system look absolutely gorgeous.

I've only played the first Disgaea, I don't remember that being a thing.

>progression is slow

Couldn't disagree with you more

I actually restarted a new game with tighter rules to follow right after clearing chapter 3 because I found I would get way too strong way too fast ,I was level 50 at that point of the game when I should have been level 15

I do agree that the early skills suck balls in D4, I put spears on Valvatorez for stylish vampire fights and jesus christ I kept spamming his regular attacks and personnal skills, everytime I could use a spear skill it would put me in a shitty situation for garbage damage

In all other disgaea every skill had a purpose, in 4 the early one feel all the fucking same

Harada still works on their games though.
But I'm sad how it turned out.
Makai Kingdom, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, it seemed like a different time.

>Post game
Can we count side content as a whole or are you specifically looking for things you do after the main story, period.

Because FFXII is an amazing game for doing shit that doesn't involve the main quest. The game has an absolutely ridiculous amount of things you can do at each point in the story. Hell, if you're autistic, you can spend like 60 hours in the first areas available to you at the very start of the game trying to get early overpowered weapons as well as killing all the hunts and rare game enemies at that point in time.

The side content alone solidified FFXII as my all time favorite final fantasy, though you have to at least have some love for grinding to get the most out of the game.

>there are people out there who WILLINGLY played through Star Ocean 4

>I found I would get way too strong way too fast
I am not talking about strength but skillset and whether it actually to the combat like tactical depth or usability.

Story wise I am so overpowered right now its not even a challenge at this point.
When I was getting the game I heard about good combat and grinding and thought that what I was getting.
The problem is that despite being powerful as fuck storywise, I still dont have any skills that would make combat fun.

There are few useful attacks but not nearly enough I would expect from a tactics game after tanking so many hours into it.
As for now physical attack is kinda the only thing I use most of the time.

Not him, but then you should sit down, shut up and stop talking. He's 100% correct. In 5 you can get into accidental fights, and if you haven't saved in awhile you're fucked.

Same in 4, that damn trader "spoony" girl with med items I think surprised me.
Though I was getting an easy ride and then it all went to hell very fast.

Same as this room with 4 dragons or even that cat thing.
I though if I was pestering an npc with same question he would eventually said to me something fun but all I got was pain.

99.99 hours in ms paint

was zetta in that game that had that demon trapped in a sword and linked to the mc that could use his powers and even "abuse" said powers to fuse with him and eventually start the apocalypse?

>good combat

Disgaea isn't really about that I don't know who recommended it to you like that

The problem is that you can never be on the "right" level to experience the tactical aspect of the game except maybe during your first story playthrough with heavy limitation

Disgaea is a game where the goal is to break the game through cunning number munching or simple logic of assosciating X with Y, understanding how to defeat à boss with 5 times your level and 1000 times your stats without getting fucked

Maximising your evilities potential, creating huge combo by using a strenght buff on both you and the ennemy several time in a row

It's a game about bullshiting around the mechanics there's no carefull placement of your units here,all the strategy happens before the battles

Pissing off NPCs in the Item World has been a thing since 2. If you talk to the "main" succubus in the brothel she'll get pissed and all 4 NPCs will attack. Same with the department store with the Archer, and the Fortune Teller, though this last one you can defeat easily with an underleveled party thanks to the Thief's status skills being broken.

there is a strategic element also during the battles but yes, most of the strategy (and the fun) is the power grinding/jobbing system.

>lvl 99.99

I imagine that you need to reincarnate or some extra shit to up from 99 to 99.99

>each time to reincarnate, you get .01 added to your total level
>leveling to 99, 99 times

the whole point of disgaea is levelling to thousands, even the characters sometimes refer to how they should level more or how they lost their levels because plot and so on.
The first game's plot was basically "I want to be the most overlevelled character in the etherworld and rule everything".

Well shit. Disregard what I said, I suck cocks.

Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix.

Certainly not D5.

The most barren post game content of any Disgaea to date.

Disgaea 3
Tales of Graces

Disgaea 3 has probably the best endgame to max multiplw characters. Disgaea 4 was allright but too RNG

grinding for stats or gear is hardly what I would consider good gameplay or content.

Demon Path in Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

DT2 has top tier post-game, its only issue is class-specific doors.

Also, ZHP and Shiren.

You just need to buy the DLC, goyim.

These, Disgaea 3 Vita has the best postgame in all Disgaea games.

Tactics Ogre has good replayability, Hearts R has decent post-game stuff and the Arland Atelier games are all pretty open-ended.

Also Im talking about the Vita Disgaeas which are way better than the originals.

It's fine, sorry for being a little hostile.

Can anyone give me tips on how to start doing shit in disgaea? I start it up and they throw what seems a whole library worth of mechanics at me and I have no idea what's going on

Its so simple. What is there not to get? You can literally steamroll the game by over levelling. Read a walkthrough, I actually encourage that because its the ye olde gamefaqs shit.

Just pick a few units that you really like and play.

I'm really retarded in certain games
I don't get magicite, mana or the skill thing

Which one are you playing since each game does things different?

Which game are you even playing? Magichange? Its pointless 99% of the time. Mana is your currency to unlock classes and make generic characteres etc.

4 on vita

You'll never need magichange until end game levelling. Mana still stands as I said before. You buy skills with Mana in that game and also upgrade them with Mana.

Imagine levelling by percentages, 1 level is .01.
That'd be a neat experience.

Start by unlocking the cheat shop if you haven't done so already. it allows you to customize the stuff you get from kills and adjust enemy levels. Another thing to do is to look up which classes get all the weapon skills you want since not all classes get them.

You get Mana by killing shit and use it as currency for all sorts of stuff, it's character specific so only the character that acquires it can spend it on things.
Magicite doesn't exist in any Disgaea game so you are probably getting the name wrong. There is Magichange if that's what you mean? That lets you temporarily transform monsters into weapons for people to wear for a limited time during combat, gives the unit that equips the weapon a fraction of the monsters stats and access to some cool special skills. It's not too important though, most people barely use it.

Honestly just play around and get to know things step by step on your own. There is a crapton of different mechanics and systems at play but the vast majority of them aren't too important until the endgame min/maxing if you ever want to get into that. Don't stress out about it, just mess around. If something doesn't seem particularly useful at the moment, like a waste of time, or you just don't quite understand its meaning yet, that's perfectly okay, you won't have to use it.

the one you posted because disgaeas actually start at post game.
D5 in particular can take ages if you want to craft your dream team.
heck even 1 char will take ages if you are a perfectionist autist(maxing stats on a char without gear or evilities, level 1 naked and maxed stats)

>Another thing to do is to look up which classes get all the weapon skills you want since not all classes get them.
Aside from like Big Bang all the really good skills are only obtained through character world, and you can extremely easily transfer skills through reincarnation or from one character to another later on anyways
Never even mind that he probably has no idea what he even wants when he is just starting out with the game/series.

Thanks very much friendos, it seems I was making it complicated for no reason

The idea is to get him prepared to use specific classes if he wants all the skills or at least learn which ones stop learning after the 3rd or 4th skill. Never did like the forte system because of that.

D4 is the worst game in the series. The stat balance is horrible, the game is filled with garbage like the chara world, the characters are cancer inducing, alot of the mechanics are terrible as well like how the bonus damage on skills work

Only good thing about the game is ITS TIME TO BUST SOME BALLS

the peak of the series was disgaea 2 dark hero days on psp

>D5 in particular can take ages if you want to craft your dream team.
It takes literally 2 hours to completely cap out a new character's stats in D5 (and get the mastery phase done for a whole bunch more at the same time) once you get into the rhythm. That game was casualized and dumbed down like hell. Literally any of the other games took considerably longer.
I really really dislike most of the changes they made in that game. Even the item world got fucked hard, you can just do whatever you like with no real consequences now, it's impossible to screw yourself over in any way and it takes barely any time at all to make perfect Traps.
I'm pretty sure you could finish the entire post game including LoC Baal in maybe 5-10h after being done with the story if you knew what you were doing.

>the peak of the series was disgaea 2 dark hero days on psp
I agree. Pirates weren't nearly as annoying to get the maps for and the dark world wasn't locked behind random rooms in the item world sold at outlandish prices.

Unlocking LoC was complete cancer in Disgaea 2, what are you talking about? Buying tickets and finishing Dark World in D3, doing all sorts of different content to build the Flonne ship in D4, and whatever it is you had to do in D5 that I can't remember because the entire game was an unmemorable piece of garbage, was all way less painful.

>D4 is the worst game in the series. The stat balance is horrible, the game is filled with garbage like the chara world, the characters are cancer inducing, alot of the mechanics are terrible as well like how the bonus damage on skills work
You sure you don't mean D3 because that sure sounds like you are talking about D3

>PS1 era Final Fantasies had pretty good ones. All the minigames, side quests, weapons, bosses and so on were really really neat.
that's side content, not post-game content.

I'd like to ask: What JRPGs has the best SIDE content? Stuff you can optionally do on the journey to the end as opposed to have to wait until beating the final boss to get to the meat.

Suikoden 2 was pretty great at this

LoC im Disgaea 3 was cake. D4 LoC was behind a billion RNG checks. Fuck the cat pirates FUCK YOU KITTY CAT PIRATES!!!

Im not even joking, FFXIV

MMORPGs don't count you dimwit

I don't remember the Flonne parts being all that annoying to get. I think there was one part you had to interrogate a prisoner for, that one took a while for me, but it still wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as trying to run into every single possible type of pirate for their map pieces in D2. I love D2 and it's probably the one I spent the most time total on, but that shit was dumb as fuck

Buying tickets is lame as fuck. D2 lets you unlock them as you go along the whole way and not have to get lucky finding a room in the item world.

Even FFXI is a hell of a lot better in that regard.

LoC != Dark World

I liked the Dark World stages in D2 the most, the Dark Sun gimmicks were pretty cool for some of them