Where did video games go wrong?

Where did video games go wrong?

It used to be a medium of nerds making things for other nerds and everybody was happy

what happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Video games are still fun

Fuck you, I wanna beat your ass. Consider yourself lucky I dont have that frog image saved.

There always been shitty games and good games.
But good games generally used to be on the media while shitty games got buried.

Now it's the opposite.

AAA muti million dollar videogames came along

Fuck off Lava Hotsguy

This.

>a medium of nerds making things for other nerds
maybe if you joined in on making things for other nerds, you'd see that scene still exists

Sony happened with the Playstation and games became 'cool'.

Then companies kept wanting to expand the market, catering to a wider audience to the point where many games just play themselves with minimal player input.

It happened that you grew up. It happened that you can't grasp the fact that the videogame industry is pretty much the same as it has always been. You can't see the fact in history there always have been bad, mediocre and good games.

What went wrong? Nothing. Everything is the fucking same. But just like some people refuse to accept to grow up, the same kind of people will rather complain about modern videogames that accepting the fact nothing changed.
Kids today see the videogme indiustry with the same eyes you used to see the videogame industry when you were young.

Fucking Portal

>cake is a lie XD

America now leads the game design, and they always sucked at it and always will.

Pandering to people who don't play video games.

It went downhill when things that weren't gameplay got overvalued

The final nail In the coffin was when the last of us was considered a GOAT game despite being nothing but a movie.You know something Is wrong when you put the last of us on the same podium as Super Metroid and OoT

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

>mobile wikipedia
Why? Are you some mobilefag?

whats his name

WARM MOISTGUY

I forgot

>It used to be a medium of nerds making things for other nerds and everybody was happy

If you truly believe that, then video games went wrong in 1972 with the release of Pong.

that you're even asking these questions means that you're a part of the problem. why are you not making things for other nerds?

perhaps you should find your own happiness instead of waiting for someone else to make it for you

>Pandering to people who don't play video games.
You used to be a person that didn't play video games.

So without appealing to people who don't play video games, eventually no one would be playing video games.

>Nothing has changed you're just a nostalgiafag.

Having fun with those QTEs?What about those hardcore visual novels or those casualized mechanics? Good thing I can win a game without trying nowadays.

>Having fun with those QTEs?
QTE existed since Dragon's Lair was a thing, if not even before it.
>What about those hardcore visual novels or those casualized mechanics?
Visual novels and easy games existed even back in the days.
>Good thing I can win a game without trying nowadays.
Again, easy games existed back then too.

I mean people who view them as nothing more then a casual time waster rather then a hobby.

People who actually play vidya are willing to give a fair share of their time to learn the tools of the trade. Then there's Chad who plays generic shooter #12 for 30 minutes before his football practice.

Money.

>The final nail In the coffin was when the last of us was considered a GOAT game despite being nothing but a movie.You know something Is wrong when you put the last of us on the same podium as Super Metroid and OoT
but super metroid is more movie than game haha ill shove a knife in your dickhole

What a disaster

Mustard fags shitting up every thread justifying thousands of bucks spent on parts to play indie pixel shit at 4k while at the same time port begging for games

>I mean people who view them as nothing more then a casual time waster rather then a hobby.
Video games are both. The same applies to any other hobby.

People have lives and shit to do, so they don't have the free time to sit around all day playing video games or doing another hobby like kids do.

What you don't seem to understand is that the lifeblood of video games has always been people who view video games as casual time wasters. Without those people, video games would still be stuck inside universities as insular projects for other nerds.

Money. They realized there was a huge market in video games and now we see more shitty and rushed games with no content or games with several tiers of DLC all priced around a full game or more.

Now that games have gone somewhat mainstream, it has to follow the rules of society and not be just for nerdy geeks/mainly male audiences but instead pander to all kinds of people.

The bankers took over.

As with all niche interests that get ruined, you can look to normalfags when placing the blame.

The problem Is that bad concepts that should of died are more common then ever.

Dragon's lair Is an example of old QTE,but also of a shitty trial and error game.

Easy games indeed always existed,but they are way more common nowadays then before,Dark Souls can't save everything.

I guess I can't argue too much about VNs.

fuck off, your voice actor is dead

>It used to be a medium of nerds making things for other nerds and everybody was happy
Those goggles aren't rose tinted, they're just painted red

When japan stopped dominating the market

The future is grim for people who liked gaming in the 90s. When FF 15 crashes and burns, no studio will ever again make a JRPG, and you pricks will complain about it, while being entirely responsible.

but I hate JRPGs

they're too slow and up their own asses

>gaming in the 90s
>FF

HAHAHAHAHA u fucking srs m8?

It isn't my fault that JRPGs decided to sabotage the genre by turning themselves into offline single-player MMOs.

>buhuhu vidya games are shit now!!
>fuck normies!
>fuck girls!
>fuck SJW!

no, they are not, you just forgot to have fun, because you sit at home, alone, all the time and nobody loves you

that's why you hate the world and everything in it
there is no one to blame but you

le deep

Flameo Hotsman

just the truth, no need to make a meme out of it

>It used to be a medium of nerds making things for other nerds and everybody was happy what happened?

When was that? 1965? My mother had a pong console in 1978 and she's a "normie". So did all her friends.

Ask yourself where YOU went wrong

corporations like money
dykes are an untapped market in terms of video games
some publishers and studios are willing to cater to them in hopes of making a little extra money
this isn't the end of the world
you can support developers who aren't sell-outs or faggots if you're that concerned about it

I'd say this is the big one, but it started closer to when Halo 1 released and took off like a fucking rocket. 2001
>Publishers realized that something easy to make like a shooter would sell like hotcakes
>So they start only funding teams who will make simple shit to pander to this new market and ignore anyone with more aspirational/platformer ideas
>Then couple it with the money gouging, raised advertising budgets, and lowered development times and you got the makings for a shitty games Industry
>Then 2007
And it just keeps booming.

>wear superhero shirt
>"You look like Shelton, son."

Apple is literally at the root of everything shit in tech.

>my opinion is the truth

very reddit, i like it

Casuals TC, fuckin' casuals.

look, the next boogieman

04'fag here can confirm, also this board is full of newfags.

>keeps getting compared to Shelton
I'm glad it stopped years ago, but it still brings rage into my heart.

They got popular and it got really expensive to make "AAA" games.

>It got really expensive to make "AAA" games
And yet, wages paid to developers, relative to the inflation rate, has continued to decrease over the years, coupled with less work time means they get paid considerably less overall now than years ago.
The only thing going up is Advertising costs.

>people who liked to video games would make video games
i miss it
it didn't have to be shallow, smaller development teams meant everyone was on the same page

Gotta have that Mountain Dew tie-in promotion, my man.

You won't find people who like RPGs making RPGs or who like FPS making FPS
the fans of the genre aren't involved in the creation

>the fans of the genre aren't involved in the creation
This
People who don't play games started to make them

>They got popular
Yes, in 1972. Try again.

Every single thing that increases in popularity usually has a notable decrease in quality or unique features. It has to do with "we want a wider audience" which is the most cancerous phrase in entertainment

So dumb ... oh my.

The problem (if you could call it one) was publishers wised up to how gullible the market is and dominated the market. Gamers were always gullible in the way they are now (look at arcades), but gaming was obscure enough to be safe from outside influence and big money.

Starry-eyed developers used to push creative/technical boundaries through games. It was simply easier back then because the technology/methodology was crude and expectations were different. A great number believed a refined and challenging product would sell best. Turns out they were wrong. Now big studios know precisely how to push peoples buttons through marketing, media control, and simplistic variable reward systems.

That's not to say some on the fringe keep the pioneering spirit alive. Unfortunately, the toxicity of gaming/youth culture and the immediacy of social media caused the real nerds to retreat from constant harassment.

Games are still going right somewhere, but you don't have access to this reality through the internet.

If you honestly think video games have been remotely obscure for the past 30+ years, you're retarded and wrong.

Video games have been popular since the release of Pong in 1972.

Lots of reasons
Gaming became more accepted thus creating a new demographic for companies to make a profit off of
The new demographic combined of both kids and casual players started to become the majority of players and became more recognized as the new new gaming demographic
Companies tried all sorts of easy casual stuff like games with qtes, fps for babies, etc
Because the majority, as in the casuals and kiddies, game them the most profit, companies decided to stick with them as their main interest and making games appealing to them
Companies then decided to release things like dlc, movie and tv show downloads, and all sorts of stuff that people just bought not knowing that this was the reason why companies now focus so heavily on profit over quality
Companies don't have to try and put effort into their games, they only need to meet a bare minimum that looks good enough to make a trailer out of to hype casuals up to buy their games, only to be dissappointed by mediocre titles that will go down as forgotten works
But that doesn't matter to game companies, they got their money so they just need to do this all over again, release more dlc and other methods of additional payments for already purchased games because they can
Because they know kids and casuals are dumb as hell and will buy things regardless of how absurd their methods are
That is why game suck today

tl;dr Casuals and kids ruined everything, companies are lazy and greedy now because of them

He probably thinks video games were obscure just because all the other elementary school kids did things that were not just obsessive gaming.

That's likely, but I always get a kick out of idiots who keep spouting the "games used to be obscure when I was a kid!" bullshit.

It's the same everytime. For example...

>TV.
>Marginal users number.
>Creating good content, for free.
>Suddenly becomes popular.
>Here comes the censorship.
>Adding advertisings.
>Now you must pay.
>...even more...
>...and more, with more ads.
>Cred Forums thread whining about the decline.

>not Cred Forums.jpg

What this image fails to recognize is that the end has actually been a thing since the start, and that this observation is really only true when you start enjoying your hobby when you're young. Obviously when you're a little kid, you're not going to notice Chads and Stacies using your hobby as a social activity.

games are still fun, you need to be more specific and rephrase your statement to something like:

"Where did AAA games go wrong?"
or
"Where did modern multiplayer FPS go wrong?"

and then we would have something to actually discuss instead of "Why is OP so bad at making threads?"

Too bad there are absolutely no games made these days by small teams. Having a small team ensures the game will be great.

How can such a small post be so wrong?

And when you're a kid you ARE "invading" the hobby.

They also didn't lie a lot
like, black isle. they did what they could and it was fun because they loved tabletop games

You decided to play the contrarian.

Was everyone in this thread such a social retard that they didn't notice that absolutely everyone had a gameboy, NES, or Atari when they were kids? Yes, even the popular little shits. This isn't some sudden development made by people coming to ruin your life, the internet just made it harder to ignore that you aren't the only one who likes the things you like and that you can't control how everyone else acts..

ONLY TRUE GAMERS LIKED POKEMON AND ARCADES IF MY NOSTALGIC BIAS SAYS SO

The point is that gaming in these peoples' eyes was not ruined until they became teenagers and people began to be more interested in forming friendships and relationships. Let there be no doubt, gaming was always popular. What I'm pointing out is that people are taking the development of their own age group and are assuming that suddenly a bunch of new types of people are suddenly interested in video games, a complete and total lie.

>When FF 15 crashes and burns, no studio will ever again make a JRPG

And nothing of value was lost.

You probably went to a better school district. In my youth all the kids who liked or expressed a passing interest in Pokemon got the shit beaten out of them on a regular basis.

>Compile Heart
>Bamco and From
>Falcom

But let's keep pretending Squeenix is the only developer of JRPGs.

The Super Nintendo and SEGA Genesis console wars. The aggressive marketing brought in normies.