youtube.com/watch?v=FKI1xmtf5Ck
youtube.com/watch?v=l2YgGY_OBx8
youtube.com/watch?v=89n-51foFqI
amazon.com/War-What-Good-Conflict-Civilization/dp/1250062500
youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqa1YBdJQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=F6ttgjK5fD8
youtu.be/47RMUsen3c0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

spears are difficult to motion capture and trying to model the animations by hand without looking weird is complex.

>>spears are difficult to motion capture

How are they harder to animate than swords ? Or bows ?

making a different weapon behavior/mechanic means more work. especially since spear fighting is much more intricate than common swinging weapons.

Shit weapon

this
>put a golf ball on each end of a quater staff
>???
>you now have accurate spear animations

theyre just not very popular.

it sounds easy but then you don't get the proper weight and feel of a real spear so the animations seem off when you model in a actual spear. when you try to correct this by modeling the animations by yourself then it becomes more difficult, especially if you don't know how a spear actually works IRL and just copy what you see in fake movies and games.

They're not popular because nobody puts them in their game, thus lowering popularity even more.

the spear tends to be best in warfare situations and as a result its not seen as a very "heroic" weapon

What RPGs have you played OP? they're in lots of them. Especially older games.

Because spears are literally easy mode

there isn't anything satisfying about defeating something with a spear

Swords and other one handed weapons can use the similar animations, which makes them easier for lazy devs.

Because glaives are a thing you spear chucker.

spears aren't THAT heavy, user. most of the weight of a spear is in the shaft, you don't need to affix a spearhead to the shaft for mocap and who cares if it's 100% accurate? it's a videogame.

Swords are cooler, they're the typical fantasy hero weapon, they're more versatile than spears, there are also are more legendary swords in stories, myths, and cultures, everybody knows Excalibur, or Masamune for example.

Why would you want to use a peasant's weapon?

spears are actually pretty garbage in dark souls though, I should know since they're my main weapon in all three installments.

>Or bows
bows are probably the least difficult of all weapons to animate

spears are the weapons that gave man dominion over the wild

>going to battle with a sidearm

because at the same skill level a spear will always fuck any sword/warhammer/etc. user in the ass any day any time

Yes, spears are the things you use to hunt wild pigs and give to peasants who don't know better. They're the footsoldier's weapon, not the hero or general's.

>going to battle without a sidearm

>he doesn't main spear + shield full greek style

>he doesn't realize the spear user is done for if the other person manages to close the gap
Spears are also unwieldy as all hell indoors. You spearfags are delusional.

only reason i bought titan quest

Most Knights used a spear bill pike lance or bow.

People don't view Spears as heroic.

Because Spears in the proper hands have always been the superior weapon.

There's a couple of well known legendary spears though, like Gae Bolg

>liking games where you can't rely on one thing 100% of the time
dedicated runs most satisfying runs

>Not going into battle with 2 spears, 5 javelins, 3 swords, an axe, and a shield

Quick, post best spears

Aren't they actually very niche in their use and kinda bad in duels? They were great in war, but war is very different from battles and duels

>letting your opponent close the gap
git gud

Nobody is taking a Sarissa indoors, user. Any spear someone would take inside will be every bit as manageable as a larger sword. And put 2 or 3 people with spears in a hallway and nobody is getting close.

Reach is king.

>>he doesn't realize the spear user is done for if the other person manages to close the gap

what the fuck m8
it's the spear wielder's job to poke or slash the other guy at a distance, at the same skill level the other guy will never ever ever close the gap

>not the heros or generals

well most artists in games strive for weapons realism unless its a silly games, spears are just too difficult to manage on top of time/budget constraints associated with game development so that's why they don't show up frequently.

>Kinda bad in duels
Spears are god tier in duels, one of the best things to have. The reach advantage is huge

>Just close the gap
It's easier said than done

you know why noone hunts boar or bears or anything with swords? because only idiots would do that. and those animals are more dangerous than a man

>MW has spears
>skyrim and oblivion do not, even though enemies in both games have spears and the legion uses spears and has cavalry
for what purpose

most generals were probably mounted, and most mounts had spears.

Sure, in the same manner some one with a gun is done for if a knife wielder "manages to lose the gap".

Like i said, at the same skill level any spear user will triumph over anybody who has a weapon with shorter length. They're magnificent in duels because of this.

Reminder that Longinus was bathed in the blood of Christ and is able to turn the tide of any battle, being the Spear of Destiny. Officially one of the most METAL AS FUCK legendary weapons mankind has.

>they're the footsoldier's weapon, not the hero or general's.
>not the hero
Cu Chulainn?
Odin?
King Arthur?

Bethesda is unwilling to make another animation set for their games for a new weapon type. One handed, two handed, and bow is about as far as they'll go.

>using a nignog pokey joke
I bet you wear fur and feathers too!

Arthur had a spear yeah, but you'd be crazy if you said his spear was more memorable than fucking excalibur

What if your shield breaks? You're just a spiky dead guy then.

spears are powerful so they're gay

Yeah, only idiots would go hunting a bear with a spear nowadays. People don't hunt things with spears period. That's a gun's job.
youtube.com/watch?v=FKI1xmtf5Ck

The first NWN game had great spear animations. I remember you looked like a badass resting the spear over your shoulder while walking around.

They are the old stories user.
If you're going by the weapon the person that's going to be using it are just as important to the story.

It's a crime that spears are so under-used but in fantsy swords are king.

You can say this for pretty much any weapon.

>Yeah, only idiots would go hunting a bear with a spear nowadays
we're talking about melee weapons, kid. medieval ones, at that. don't you have school or something?

Shit tier weapon for bitches who don't want to learn to fight and would rather stick to a group

>They're the footsoldier's weapon, not the hero
>I'm not familiar with any work of fiction that hasn't been turned into a major motion picture

Everyone knows about Gae Blog and Ginger though; however I do agree with you. There are more well known fantasy swords

ayyyyy, replayed 6 and 7 not long ago
love those games

It can't really get more metal than that. Unless Michael drops whatever weapon he uses to earth. That weapon would be too metal for mankind.

there's a reason everyone carries a dagger as a sidearm

>nowadays

any games that allow me to play as the objectively best medieval units?

And thank God for that. Bethesda should avoid animation as much as possible.

I hope they go back to flat sprites.

for mid-battlefield circumcisions

>brodok

my nigga

I sincerely hope you don't think hunting a bear or boar in the wilderness is comparable to fighting another human to the death. Also no one hunts with those anymore because we can get further away now. Spears were the best bet at the time for distance agaisnt damage. In addition both animals you mentioned will literally charge into your spear. So a lil easier.

Fucking degenerat

>Loved spears in dark souls 2
>heide spear was the best weapon ever
>won every pvp match with heide spear
>Play dark souls 3
>all spears have shit range, low damage and slow attack speed and never break enemy poise
why

Aren't spears a shitty weapon for a lone combatant?

You've never seen how spears are actually used in duels and skirmishes, have you ?
Have you user ?

Mount & blade and that's it

daggers were carried mostly because they were incredibly useful in a wide variety of situations
not just for warfare

>lunge spear
>sidestep and grab the spear

now what?

Too phallic you rapist

This is silly. Is this all bait or what?

>some buttfuck Roman Legionary has a baller as fuck spear on hand to stab Christ
shouldn't longinius look like a shitty common spear

what if my spear stick is made of swords?

Bait

>In addition both animals you mentioned will literally charge into your spear. So a lil easier.
if you let either do that, it'll be your last hunt. if you think you can stop one with one spear, you're a fool

Stronghold Crusader, they are the most op unit in the game

>seriously defending trying to hunt a fucking bear with a spear
The things weigh 900 pounds. You're not killing it without a party of people backing you up in this context. In which case a bow or crossbow would serve you better if you weren't an idiot.

Daggers are my shit.
Then again I normally play theif charactes in games like that.

It does look like a shitty spear in most depictions, the Japanese are just chuuni as fuck and like to make it look cool when it shows up in their media.

bash with shield

>Dodge bullet
>Teleport behind them
heh too slow

spears are the weapons of war
that's a sidearm user

You were saying?

Early medieval arms and armor look so good

Well he did use Rhongomiant to kill a fucking dragon, that's pretty great in of itself.

>rifles are the things you use to hunt wild pigs and give to peasants who don't know better. They're the footsoldier's weapon, not the hero or general's

Nobody's denying that. Stop using strawmen. Watching you making such a fool of yourself is cringy as fuck.

Shield bash or stab with sidearm

Yes I'm sure they don't use spears in a shallow video game because they can't fool those who study choreography.

daggers are not particularly good for any combat situation
a well balanced sword does everything it does but without having to get as close

believe it or not, people killed bears before guns and crossbows were invented. spears were the weapon of choice among other things

Heroes and knights died with the advent of firearms.

this looks like a medieval jojo character

The spearsword Nameless King uses is baller af

>thinking daggers were carried as a sidearm for self defense
Daggers were used by the rowdy'r folks because they were easy to conceal but a trained sword/spear/bowman isn't going to swap to their dagger in a close range fight unless their other weapons are not available because it's a utility tool primarily. A man with a dagger sure as fuck isn't more lethal than a man with a spear at close range.

>heroes died with the advent of firearms
it's official
you're fucking retarded

Are you retarded?
you posted JoJo, so yes.

Because they are boring but effective.

Spears are fucking awesome, but we culturally like to jerk off to swords.

People really need to stop glorifying swords into a status they never had.

Why was Cu so fucking perfect?
>Had a RIP AND TEAR battle mode that was called WARP SPASM
>Literally killed fucking hundreds of people by himself
>His dead fucking body ripped a motherfucker's arm out two days after he died
Coolest fucking hero and fellow spearfag.

>Implying axe isn't the best

wars were NEVER decided by heroes
the only single man to ever matter in warfare was the general, and only if he was particularly good or particularly bad at strategy

Yes, PEOPLE, not a fucking guy. The same people that could literally kill it unarmed by laying traps, or tiring it out.

fuck you dude jojo is super dope

spears look gay desu, there's hardly any good spear designs.

swords however have a million different cool designs

I wonder if a modern full on first/third person "mongol simulator" could work

This is one of the main reasons i appreciate Final Fantasy's Dragoons. One of the few times spearfags get culturally jerked off.

two swords, son
TWO FUCKIN SWORDS

Spears are boring to use desu.

>spears have very few cool designs
Nigga fuck you, spears got all kinds of cool shit like halberds and lances.

>A man with a dagger sure as fuck isn't more lethal than a man with a spear at close range.
a spearman that lets an enemy into close range without meaning to is as useful as a swordman trying to fight a spearman at spears length

Swords are side arms you shits. They're the equivalent of a pistol.

Spears are like the assault rifles of the old ages.

tiring out a bear never happened, that shit only worked on herd animals
carnivores or dangerous herbivores would eventually just turn around and fuck your shit up

Spears are what you need if you want to be a king

>invisible in snow storm
Every fucking time

not to mention that in most situations where a spear was used your buddy next to you would also have a spear, and the 100 buddies next to him as well

Shit happens in war. In the hypothetical situation that a man with a dagger got past the pointy bit he can still get his ass whacked by the stick.

My favorite type of armor is still the scale armor, used in the middle east and the Russian steps. Hree's a Roman Auxilia reenactor wearing a lorica squamata. Roman Auxilia in the west was wearing lorica hamata.

Most spearmen throughout history were poorly trained and relied on numbers and formations than individual skill. Someone who was rich enough to afford sidearms would more than likely be better trained than the average spearman in single combat.

Spears are not a duelist's weapon. To say so is to undermine what actually made them great.

>spears are boring
you know nothing of pole weapons, user.

play nioh

>play Shogun 2
>everybody uses spears and arrows
>nobody uses shields
>it's historically accurate
>mfw

Which was basically being a very easy to use pointy stick that didn't involve any complicated training to know how to use effectively. People who were good at swordfighting trained from very early ages more often than not.

thats not a spear

Its like you faggots think your hands are glued to one place on the spear. You can choke your grip.

I bet you think a person can just grab and hold the end of a spear with their hands too.

this, duelist never won wars
numbers and formations did

show some then because all I see is >>/trash/

retard

play some more fantastical rpg's that make all the spear special moves into giant fucking jumps.

>comparing peasant pikemen to nobles
uh, okay. a mounted knight with a spear is going to kill your swordman just fine, too

I just like daggers.

in situations where professional armies were present the spearmen tended to be the BEST trained because battles were often won by ensuring your opponent broke ranks before you did

The rigorous training of say the Tercio is how Spain was the dominant military force in europe for over a century

god Could you imagine a more tedious meta game than spears

A mounted knight also has a sword and most likely a dagger. He isn't married to the spear and knows to ditch the spear if the situation calls for it, which would be more than likely if he were dismounted and engaged in solo combat.

Spears are the weapon you press your advantage with, not the weapon you use when you're backed into a corner.

you are just shit, actually

never understood why nips couldn't into shields

there are swords made specifically for hunting

besides there are battles where mounted nobles lost hard against pikemen or heck even peasants armed with weapons that were even more plebian than a pike like pic related

Because Spears are completely useless unless you're on a battle field next to 50 other guys with spears.

just fucking google "polearms" you fucking retard

>Tercio
Was a god tier formation. They attacked the Ottoman admiral ship during the Battle of Lepanto with six tercio, only to get repelled six times. But they prevailed at the end.

Read the thread.

Im so sick of swords, especially the two-handed kind.

They were popular as an expensive but versatile weapon way the fuck back, then got popular thanks to the church, and finally weaseled their way into Hollywood because its easy to make flashy fights with a sword.

Just google fantasy spear/halberd/glaive/polearm designs.

They get little love but they look boss as fuck with what little we get.

oh,okay, so the sword s the, "oh shit i'm losing" weapon, while the spear is the, "imma fug you" weapon. makes sense

their type of armor, while shit at absorbing blows from medieval melee weaponry, was pretty great at absorbing arrows

Similar to the mongol armor in that regard, who by the way were another culture of archers where nobody used a shield, and they wrecked the entire world at the same time

Spears>Bow>Swords

It's in that order, cavalry comes in between. Generally if you wanted an efficient army you needed spears, bows and some cavalry.

It should be also noted that the Romans, who used a gladius was mainly used for thrusting and stabbing, not for slicing.

But everyone knows that halberd is the true king, after a bayorifle.

Yeah, that is to say there are situations where the sword is clearly better than the spear, which is what I've been trying to tell you idiots.

Spears aren't an end-all weapon. That's why weapons branched out in designs and why everything today isn't just a spear.

a huge part of why it worked was the discipline of the tercio
the spanish could rely on their lines not breaking even under pressure, that's a huge tactical advantage

it wasn't until the 80 year war someone finally figured out a way to beat them

Stop being a faggot.

>That feel when Hilde in Soul Calibur.

polearms > spears

But those are polearms

Unless "polearms" are a subcategory of spears.

>That feel when you are part of the last tercio
>That feel when glorious last stand against the might of the French Royal Army

>axe

mah nigga

Drop spear, and use sidearm (mace or short sword) to go in and potentially kill. Pick up spear if opponent is dead. If during battle, have comrade come and side flank enemies side. Won't be able to do much because he is still grasping the spear with either one or two hands. Either way, the person who thought grabbing the spear was a good idea is going to die or get seriously injured.

a. pursue
b. do not pursue

spears are a pole weapon, and in many rpg games are all placed into the same category of weapon, often just called "spears"

Can a wild pig shoot me with a long bow?

>and in many rpg games are all placed into the same category of weapon, often just called "spears"
Only shit games do that, user. Polearms deserve their own category.

i'd rather be shot by a long bow than be gored by a boar. if you think otherwise, you're a fool

bruh

Spears have superior leverage and can easily deflect lesser weight weapons.
Spear wielders can easily fight in CQC by changing their grip position.

Alright.

Well whichever one you are that replied to, stop being a contrarian little shit when you know very well that non-spear polearms aren't spears.

those don't look good, they are all just different attachments on a longer or shorter size stick.

final fantasy spears have some cool designs but they are mostly impractical. I mean gae bolg has a fucking rope attached to it that can get caught in your armor.

Romans in the west used mainly hamata but they still used squamata.

Asians opted for protection from ranged weapons, like arrows. Common strategy at the time was to have a battalion of archers that would rain down arrows on the attacking side. This was quite effective due to the fact that out of the many arrows at least a couple would land somewhere vital. Plus, being slow on the battle field was not something to be desired. Some Chinese Generals did use shields, but they were small and light weight. Practically everyone in Asia would rather kill their opponent in one hit rather than have a dragged out fight that could tire both side.

>not boring, fantasy design
>practicality

you can only choose one user, and that goes for every weapon

Spears are actually excellent dueling weapons due to their leverage.
The Ancient Chinese even agreed that the Spear is the the king of dueling weapons.

>final fantasy spears have some cool designs but they are mostly impractical
>spears
really, just the spears are mostly impractical.
really?

>Spears are not a duelist's weapon. To say so is to undermine what actually made them great.

Spears are excellent dueling weapons, way superior to swords.

Is there any actual reason one would ever want to use a spear instead of a polearm besides being too poor to afford one?

To add to that nips on horseback had that weird-ass cape that would get huge when running away due to catching the air inside of it and absorb most of the force that the arrow had, catching them inside of it.

i love halberds, but you don't see them in AAA titles.

Either a hook spear or a glaive.

>sidestep the grab and grab your arm
>lunge spear
now what?

Competent Spear users can easily change their grip, not to mention the spear already have far superior leverage.

I don't see where that person said that in his post.

You've played too many video games, son.

51 is my nigga

hard to balance, range increase can basically only be incredibly OP most of the time in ARPGs.

>57 an 58
How indecent.

He's right though, at the same skill level longer reach means autowin.

why not just sidesteb and stab them in the face instead?

Because spears are shit weapons if you are on your own.

Lize from SD3 has one.

Roman/Greek RPG when?

>tfw the Santier's Spear in DS2 is literally the only cool spear in the series where you don't just stab forward and you can do flashy moves.

>things that matter in an un-armoured duellists weapon
speed
reach

>things spears are great at
speed
reach

Why do you think rapiers where such hot shit

Spears are acknowledged by the ancient chinese to be the king of dueling weapons.

I mean that's pretty much any game where famous legendary weapons show, even in Western ones. Most players are miffed if a spear that pierced the side of the Christ just looks like a normal roman stabby stick.

And I'm sure people dueled throughout history with spears because they're such great dueling weapons. You guys...

Read the thread.

b-but user, there's the partizan

pretty sure halberds were pretty good in every souls game in which they were present.
extra weight, long spears by design couldn't have extra weight on the end, halberds tend to be shorter

Tyranny is supposed to be set in a bronze age inspired setting

spoken like a true ignorant fucktard.

>thinks reach is everything
What are parrying daggers?

Definitely not reading through 200 posts of spearfaggotry.

Think, retard.

Why did cowboys and shit use revolvers and not rifles? Rifles are better at killing people right? Because its easier to walk around with a revolver at your hip then a fucking rifle.

sword vs spear

youtube.com/watch?v=l2YgGY_OBx8

Duels tended to be highly ritualized events with a lot of focus on honor
spears weren't used not because they weren't suited to it, but because it was a weapon of war, wielded by peasants and thus unfit to solve a dispute between equals

>implying there aren't weapon restrictions in proper duels
>implying people wouldn't start to leave if you chose to actually use a sword like an idiot when the other guy had chosen a spear beforehand

I still hope santier's spear returns. Power stancing with Yorgh's spear was too much fun.

>There was a time when armor was made of multiple layers of linen with metal plates in between them, just like modern days bullet proof vest is made of tightly sewn kevlar with pouches where you can put ceramic or metal plating

objectively inferior to shields but used because a shield was considered unmanly?

>isometric

Well that's incredibly disappointing

Cowboys did use rifles though. Especially when range counted. Wew lad, are spearfags retarded.

Classical armour was fucking bases

Weapons were first contructed with the idea of a phallis in mind. The spear has a small tiny blade, the sword has a long blade. You do the math

You have a higher chance of being shot by a longbow than being gutted by a pig. It's a pig. Yeah they're dangerous as shit but it's not like they hunt people, they don't use tactics, they charge when they are startled or in danger.

Nice dress, faggot.

not to mention that there were like 5 or so pistol duels in the "wild west" and in 4 cases both participants were drunk

no disrespect but that's probably the goofiest armor, shield and helmet i've ever seen

since spears are a pole arm, no.
but you mean a pollaxe, which would generally only be used by knights while on foot, and it provided great piercing ability to kill other armored men-at-arms.

a long spear will give you extra reach, and would be the preferred weapon to stop a cavalry charge over a pollaxe.

asd

>One of the key advantages the spear holds over the sword is distance. Now, I don’t say “range” here, because obviously a weapon can have immense advantage at longer ranges, but be found to be lacking in close quarters. The spear, on the other hand, can be retracted to any length, allowing it to perform effectively well outside and even well inside the reach of a sword. This means that throughout a fight, the spear wielder would have complete control of distance, as they can keep the sword wielder at bay, with far reaching thrusts and cuts, while simultaneously being able to pull the length back should the sword wielder manage to close in.

>Unlike a sword, a spear can change the direction of an attack incredibly quickly, oscillating between the feet and the head with barely any motion. This is because of the length of the spear. Much like a lever, a small amount of motion in the back translates to enormous motion on the front, so a small movement of the arms can extraordinarily quickly bring the weapon to bear on a new target. The result is that parrying a spear thrust or cut, even if you have a shield or buckler, is incredibly difficult. while a swordsman’s arm needs to make an enormous motion going from the head to the feet, it takes little effort on the spearman’s part to make the same transition. The result is that if a swordsman is deceived by a feint for even the tiniest fraction of a second, the spear can already be thrusting into a completely different part of their body. Even if they do manage to catch this, the spearman’s disengage can be made so quickly that any opening the sword wielder leaves will be taken advantage of.

What are boar spears?

this dumb nigga

youtube.com/watch?v=89n-51foFqI
It's crazy how fast you can actually shoot these things with training. Bar portability, they're pretty much strictly better than revolvers.

I.E. most of the time. They greatly preferred to use them whenever possible, although they were also generally good with their pistols, obviously. Superlative in some cases.

That niggas wearing a collapsible cup
Wouldn't be out of place in a Dark Souls game to be quite honest with you

>most artists stive for realism
I wish.
Besides arma theres no video that comes even close, be it melee or guns

>Contrary to popular belief, the spear is an excellent weapon for parrying. It is speedier than the sword, but it also holds another key advantage - that of leverage. Because of the length of the weapon, and the wide placement of the wielder’s two hands, a spear is incredibly hard to displace. Not only can it easily disengage from a swordsman’s cut or attempt to displace the head, but even at direct contact, a spearman would have little difficult shoving aside a sword blade before lunging in for the kill.

>Now, many might think that the solution to this is to cut off the spear’s head, but this is not at simple or easy as it might seem. The blow itself would be difficult to land on the ever moving spear, but even beyond that, it would take significant force, meaning that the blade itself would need to be heavy (and therefore harder to land a blow with) and the perfect angle to prevent it from simply bouncing away. This is a likely occurrence, especially when one considers that the spear is suspended in the air, not supported firmly from underneath. In addition to that, as shown in the picture below, many spears or other polearms had metal langets running down the sides (or were made entirely out of metal), resulting in almost zero chance of the swordsman effectively carrying out a decapitation

>Throughout medieval history, the polearm has been the weapon of choice, not only of the foot soldier, but of the military nobles such as the Samurai or Knight. In Japan, the Naginata or Yari was used as a primary weapon in battle over the Katana, and in Europe, Knights would usually carry lances, or other weapons such as the bardiche, only using the sword out of necessity. The sword was known as a “sidearm,” as it was an easily carried weapon in civilian life, and a great backup on the battlefield. However, few soldiers ever charged into battle with only their swords in hand.

while the advantage of having a second weapon is attractive, the leverage a spear offers along with the general mass and additional reach is only negated if you're in cramped quarters

course they are, its why rifles are weapons of war

>All these people forgetting that, at the end of the day, a spear or other pole arm is just a quarterstaff with a metal bit on the end. It's a perfect weapon for controlling a fight and dictating how it is fought.

You've done well user.

>B b but polearms and staves were not used in dueling

Hand axes and clubs were the weapons of peasants.

Counterpoint, the sword is short, the spear is long

Early Bronze Age was a rough time.

The wood handle doesnt count, your theory is invalid.

So the spear is essentially an incredibly long penis with a proportionally small head, while the sword is 80% head and 20% other.

Gotcha.

spears actually costed less than axes to make

The head is what feels the pleasure. Swords are the ultimate penis. Your tiny mangled spearcock can't compete.

>post yfw one man singlehandedly btfos spearfags

>That image
I was just reading through a World of Ice and Fire, while waiting for the sixth book. NEVER EVER.

Didn't know that Visenya was the older sister, and Rhaenys the younger of Aegon. Dude actually went out of his way to marry Rhaenys too, despite the tradition being only the first one. It's just like one my chinese cartoons.

>You will never fug and wed both your onee-chan and imouto
>You will never conquer a continent with them

If the speanis can't compete then why didn't the lusty argonian maid polish a sword rather than a spear ?

protip : you can't answer to that

I like lances in hunting games

that ass the guy on the right's got though

Actual good level spearmanship is hard to do and they usually go down the quarter staff way I can settle for some musou spear moves too.

Frankly I don't care ffxiv drgs opened my eyes so did Souls.

He lived the dream.

Mycenaeans were fucking weird man

Loads of Targaryen rulers fucked all their qtpi sisters

Spear doesn't even have a pommel that you can take off

Spears costed less than everything to make. And they are the easiest to use effectively

Because you'd need a good combat system to make spears fun to play with and against, with decent collision, speed physics, charges, dodging to get inside a spear user, Parry and block mechanics that aren't just press button for 1sec invul, meaningful animations (with collision physics and not just clipping clusterfuck tied to damage numbers).
Publishers would rather spend 2/3 of game budgets on marketing to make a quick buck and have rehashes and sequels.

Except that faggot Balor. He didn't even cuck himself for a cool religion like the Lord of Light, Old Gods, or Drowned God.

Spears usually have a metal butt head that you can use as a club in case the spear breaks.

what? they have a counterweight that can also be weaponized

This, on the other hand, looks rad as fuck

>ywn end him rightly with a spear

That doesn't sound like it could end your opponent rightly

I finished Morrowind as a spear wielding acrobat argonian, shit was cash.

Who else is maining Lawbringer

Fuck yes, halberds

Yet snipers still get in every shooter despite the same shit.

using a counterweight to crush a skull isn't difficult even one handed

>mfw you'll still get BTFO by cheating sword-wielding nips

What led to phalanxes becoming ineffective? Rome got fucked and then no one used them ever again

Any mods for the Souls games to make female characters actually look like women and not like twinks with wigs?
I shouldn't be this annoyed by so minor but goddamn.

crossbows bolts can penetrate shields and plate armor

What weapons did the elites carry around? Swords.

Swords = weapon of heroes.

Pikes and spears = weapon of plebs.

It's not the same user, it's just not the same unless it's onee-chan + imouto.

>Have 3 hot sisters, you can choose which to fuck and marry or even go for all of them because there's precedent anyway
>Lock them up and spend your time building a fucking temple
Is there a biggest cuck in all of Westeros?

Cavalry became the weapon the day, then got replaced by artillery

That's pretty sexy weapon.

i used to love cheesing the shit out of nips in das. used a chaos blade and only wore the standard bandit armor because it looked cool. anyway, would go to fight and these nip retards would think they would get an honorbu backstab duel. wrong, i'm a black flame spamming faggot fuck you

Crossbows only became popular in Europe in the 11th century or so
Roman armies had dealt with cavalry-heavy forces without a problem

real elites rode horses and carried swords as a sidearm only for when their spear broke

Those shields probably cost a fortune to make compared to everything else, and probably became economically unfeasible to deploy on a large scale for anyone who didn't have the same financial backing an empire the size of Rome had.

Totally pulled that out of my ass.

>War horses
>Suddenly nomads
>Asymmetric wars
I'm not completely sure, but overall horses and nomads fucked shit up so hard in AD 200-500. At least according to a book I'm reading about war.

>shank two niggas at once
>shank one nigga twice

Did you not read anything? Hell, some faggot even dumped a huge pasta in greentext.

He's still right.

I'm hoping they add the glorified brush axe known as the billhook to the list of weapons he can use.

Which book?

>He didn't play Demons Souls PvP during the height of the Scraping Spear

The shields were the last thing to go though they did get heavily modified when Rome was on it's last legs, early empire had the classic curved rectangle, late empire has a flat oval, contrast that with the hoplite round shield used by the early republic, I'm dumb so I don't know what the mid to late republic used shieldwise prior to the marian reforms.

not really, swords became famous, but every mounted warrior, i.e. every hero, took a spear into battle as their main weapon

>have to make new shit to accommodate spears, then balance them
>not as comfy, pop legendary or iconic as swords
>therefore more generic sword n' board is the go to

Against a group? Of course. You'd need more spearbros to form a defensive formation of some sort. In a one on one duel? It would rock.

swords are fucking sidearms in pretty much all cultures.

>swords became famous
And that's all that actually matters in the hero argument. There are more mythical swords than there are spears.

>He assumes shit for the (You)s

I played des since release and I complete the game every two months or so. The hatemail was delicious.

Maybe with heros, but not with the elite.
Enjoy sliding down the end of a pike when you attempt to charge with a sword.

no, his argument is that only plebs used spears. and that is demonstrably false.

Swords = circumcised master race
Spears = degenerate circumcised chode weilder

Sword = more blade
Spear = less blade

Plebs certainly didn't use swords though, they were too expensive and difficult to use for that.

What the fuck am I reading

Spears = uncircumcised*

Spears are just lame as fuck despite how practical they are

amazon.com/War-What-Good-Conflict-Civilization/dp/1250062500

Goes on to explain "productive" and "unproductive" war. Productive as in, they generate wealth, prosperity, peace, etc. because of a big ass centralized government that manages shit for its own interest (ie: money for those on top), by making sure its subjects do well enough.

The point I'm at speaks about the beginning of unproductive wars in AD 100-500 or so (already went through plenty of BC years, though more limited due to the little amount of information we have), where war horses became a thing, and the displacement of civilizations due to this started fucking everything up.

The steppes were close to plenty of places like China, Rome, and the other big empires that were in the latitudes where civlization started. At this point the empires started to collapse, hard, because nomad armies became a real danger due to the advent of the war horse. Empires didn't know how to deal with nomads efficiently, economically speaking.

Really nice book so far.

So, speaking of phalanxes, I suppose they simply weren't cost effective against nomads because they couldn't catch up to them in the first place. Nomads would just fuck off to pillage another place if they wanted, they had no need to stay in any particular place.

thats not the argument. heroes used spears because they werent retarded enough to ignore a reach weapon while on a mount. heroes used spears in nearly every engagement because thats what mounted warriors do

How were they expensive? A shitty iron sword could do its work well enough.

Where does the expensive argument even come from?

But that's the thing user, a shitty iron sword uses much more iron than the standard spear for something much less effective in general.

don't forget stuff like Dragonfly Cutter

Requires a lot of iron and blacksmithing skill. You could make 10 spearheads with the same iron used to make one longsword.

D2 spearzons are fantastic

youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqa1YBdJQ4

Ancient sacred iceni bong armour, this suit is actually what's inside big ben

a sword isn't just a bar of iron. those would break after a few impacts or just bend in an awkward way. they need to be forged and tempered in order to retain shape and sharpness, and thereafter they need to be maintained. it's not inexpensive to create a durable sword

because spears require animations that are unique to the spear. normally games just have a set of animations for 1h and 2h, and putting spears in is probably seen as more effort than its worth.

He's talking in the context of the late medieval period, during which spears were also slowly being phased out by things like crossbows and later firearms.

From a logistics point of view, making a ton of spears is a better use of materials than making one sword, so it goes without saying that churning out swords is a poor and "expensive" waste of materials. But good job on being yet another retarded spearfag.

Nobushi/Lawbringer my man.

for people that don't understand why spear movements are so daunting to animators, think of all the games where your character transitions from one type of animation to another
you notice how it kind of "snaps" to the new animation?
that's the part that's going to look super retardo with spears

every time you take damage while you're in your attacking animation is going to look super weird with a spear under current animation systems

in the future when there's more physics based animations (rather than ragdoll/not-ragdoll mode tier physics from 2003 we still use today) it may be something that will work, but right now it's too complex and will look bad with videogame mechanics

>spear of destiny
>a retarded looking weebshit magic spear

Why would anyone level dex like a casul faggot?

Swords also went down in price as metalworking techniques improved. Just compare a set of armor from the early medieval period to the late medieval period. Things that were previously extremely difficult or impossible to achieve became commonplace.

I think Dark souls 1 did it pretty well.

>that feel when someone comes at you with an OHK weapon and you dance around them and give them death by 1000 pokes

magical

>dexfags and spearfags actually think they have a chance

LITERALLY THE MLP OF ANIME

L I T E R A L L Y

FFXV has a bunch of spears.

Gregor actually died after that fight. Oberyn should've just stabbed his face when he fell but here we are.

but senpai, he could've killed him without having sustained any damage whatsoever if he hadn't been such an edgelord at the end of the fight

>33 durability
>ethereal
You dun goofed

>You just a nigga with a garden hose

Its the intended way to play souls games. Hince why out of 5 games. Only 1 has a functional poise system

Spears are good in all DS games, they have extra counter damage, even without the Leo ring.

Oberyne would have won if he had just killed Greggor instead of showing off to the crowd.

>I'm just making shit up

Probably because they're just not all that popular.
Look at movies and tv, you rarely see spears on the forefront
Every movie you see where spears are the main weapon, you could probable name 10 where swords are

Spears a ship, lightsabers ftw.

youtube.com/watch?v=F6ttgjK5fD8

Spears are an OP weapon, but are considered more "boring" than say swords, axes, and maces.

I would really like to see some games with characters that use unconventional weapons, or games that have them as their own class of weapon. Stuff like whips, slings, mancatchers, etc.

That design is fucking stupid.

How dare you disgrace the term metal with such blatant weeaboo faggotry.

Merely the description is metal. A weapon bathed in the blood of Christ.

That design is so ridiculous. Why the fuck would a common executioner have such an impossible looking weapon?

I'm so sick of Nips adding a billion curves, spikes, and shinies to every related to earlier times. It's so fucking dumb.

You're retarded. It's intended to be used as an A2 Merc weapon. Still, runewords are better.

if you consider Nioh an ARPG, it has objectively the best spear play and melee combat in general

>not using a +5 chaos zewihander

38 is the silver knight spear

>A black bear
>Ever fucking anyone's shit up

You could literally beat the shit out of a black bear unarmed unless it's a mother with cubs.

They're pathetic.

Play Khergit in Warband or actual Mongols in With Fire & Sword

Pretty good.

Black Bears are like big 'ol puppies and by far the least agressive of all bear species. But you're a fucking idiot if you don't think it could fuck you up when it wanted to

>have long sharp stick model
>make player move sharp point of the stick fowards
>literally just having to move fowards a little bit of the arms and chest and there is it

You know
there is a reason why spears are found literally on every culture, from north to south and east to west

Chinese didn't call the Qiang spear the "King of weapons" for nothing

God bless this artist, love his stuff

That's just because it was easy as fuck to make.

>That's just because it was easy as fuck to make.

And also because it trumped every other weapon that wasn't a bow.

Knight is a noble title, they never died, they just stopped going to wars wearing obsolete equipament

>there is a reason why spears are found literally on every culture, from north to south and east to west

>ug use sharp rock!
>ug use sharp stick, is longer than rock!
>BY THEIR POWERS COMBINED, UG HAVE CREATED THE SPEAR

Are you retarded?

The gargoyle flame spear is one of the most meta weapons right now and spears are fine you fucking scrub

>And also because it trumped every other weapon that wasn't a bow.
Sure. That's why it got fazed out before firearms.

blending between animations has been pretty common place in games for a while now. They just dont do spears because the animations for a spear are unique to it and cant be used for other weapons.

Parrying daggers are more effective against swords you know

Why are spears bad at close range? I mean if you just pull it back wouldn't you basically have a knife, or are the spears used in battles too long for that to work?

Used to use this on my chargedin
got it for free because someone had a better one

Spears never fazed out.
Even today, using a bayonet is still an effective tactic in close quarters.

Nigga
Swords are not only weapons
But a Status Symbol
If you have a cool and quality sword then before you are somebody important and with a lot of money (like a car nowdays)

Besides fencing were a thing when spears start to become obsolete with the advancing of firearms, and that most of them were on armories waiting to be used by actual soldiers and guards, not by nobles who feel insulted and wants to play around with the weapons because muh honor

This

also Spears and pikes were support weapons during battles when Muskets and Arquebuses were reloading, also they only worked on volley fire. Heck even this rifles carried bayonets making them small spears

It wasn't until rifling and more advanced firearms that spears became obsolete, even yet, during mexico and usa war, the first blood was actually caused by mexican spearman on american soldiers

pikes and spears became obsolote because of the bayonet

I don't think anyone is arguing against that, just the

>got fazed out before firearms

Since there was a period where they worked together. Not to mention it took a while, I think early bayonets were shitty and had to be plugged into the barrel of the gun.

12yos, "gamers" and "that guy" love swords, specially 2 handed ones.

Also, lazy devs could just use the same generic animation for all the 1h weapons.

Bullshit. It's rare to use bayonets on mass scale like they did. Still, swords are still used by some military leaders. Either way, they were fazed out by swords in many places. Some groups hardly used them, like the Americas for example.

> I think early bayonets were shitty and had to be plugged into the barrel of the gun.

I still giggle like a little girl every time I think about that. Talk about the mother of design flaws.
>guys guys
>urgh what is it bob
>the other guys are kinda slaughtering us in close combat, what are we gonna do about it ?
>idk just plug your knife in your barrell i don't have time for this
>you genius motherfucker

>Since there was a period where they worked together
More than 200 years IIRC.

Spears are what you equip plebs with.
In RPGs, you play heroes.

Well, I suppouse that knifes are able to work like bayonets on any assault and battle rifles that was designed for military use.

Bayonet and unarmed combat are more like moral training, it's probable that they will never use both on a real combat, but doesn't do any harm to know how to use fight with them

Gayest shit I've ever seen

>not equiping a whole clan with spears and horses
>not making heroic charges against slimes and low level rivals

Is great. you'll understand it once you hit your late 20s, son.

>In RPGs, you play heroes
Literally the cancer that killed RPGs.

>calling the Holy Lance "Longinus"
At the very least it would be the Lance of Longinus, or Lancea Longini if you're an insufferable faggot who uses the Latin name like me.

I agree with that statement. Bayonets are less a spear and more of just rifle butting with a knife. They had use in early wars because the guns fired so fucking slow and the reload was bad that it was better than reloading at times, but now it's rare to see that. We just whip out a knife and stab.
I would like one where you're just a RnF soldier who happens to not die.

oh yeah that's why spear wielders all fought solo and not in a formation to prevent them from being closed in on, right, how did we forget?

Spears aren't "cool"
Even though they were generally the most employed actual combat weapons through much of history no one cares because muh swords

>large scale battles are the exact same as duels !
>therefore the use of a weapon is strictly the same !

>I would like one where you're just a RnF soldier who happens to not die.
There's mods for mount & blade that lets you do exactly that. Fight in a lord's army as just some random shitter who has to work his way up through the ranks. It's pretty fucking fun but obviously the rate of fun you have is entirely dependent on how gud the army you're with is. Not so fun when your lord ends up in a fight that he can't win and you end up being captured, but that's life as some peasant shitter isn't it?

>put on merc
>doesn't consume durability

YOU dun goofed

>Even though they were generally the most employed actual combat weapons through much of history
See A stick, a rock, and some rope is all you need to make a spear. Even better if you have a metal piece.

Because the vast majority of the RPG and A-RPG fanbase are not fucking women who like using womanly weapons.

Can confirm, they are not popular because they are not available. They aren't overlooked in games that actually use them, especially RPGs where it can affect your stats and playstyle.

>strength of the weapon is in its use as part of a battle formation
>somehow still reliably beats a weapon designed for solo combat

yea, nah

>Why are spears bad at close range?
They're not
>I mean if you just pull it back wouldn't you basically have a knife
correct, more importantly, you have a quarter staff, which allows you to easily put someone into locks, or use more of your weight to push them around, as well as just beat them with the haft.
>or are the spears used in battles too long for that to work?
long spears, the kind that you'd expect from a phalanx wouldn't work well for any kind of close quarters combat, but they were made to defend against cavalry, killing a horse or rider before it got to you.

>random shitter who has to work his way up through the ranks
That's usually how it is in the games. You start off as a scrub then become some god-like hero. i mean just be a guy who survives. He stays a normal soldier, maybe becomes a knight because he lived through enough wars to pillage the loot required to have the status, but otherwise just be a scrub. The most I know of is maybe some old RPG without a real plot.

Glad to think I'm not the only one to think so.
They have the same compulsion, bordering on fetishising, to inject their shit into everything else.
I'm not even claiming the show is bad, just that the fanbase is equally horrible.

spears in dark souls one were broken as fuck if you knew what you were doing. They have great range, you can turtle behind your high stability shield, and the dragonslayer spear specifically, gives you a long range option to.

>All of these retards that can only think of using the pointy bit at the end of the spear.

I never got the joke on Spearknight. Can someone explain?

>long reach

Is literally the best option but doesn't look "cool" nor follow the uncultured and popular feel of how a knight should look.

300 spartans and their king would like to have a world with you, with the highest K/D ratio in all of real life.

but womanly weapons aren't used much either

Pikes*

>forgetting the other 2700 to 3700 greeks
wew

I think you mean 1400 Greeks I'm assuming you're talking about the rear guard.

youtu.be/47RMUsen3c0

This game should not have been primarily FPS. It needed to be an 3rd person action adventure. Duck this was depressing looking at these images. Incredible concept art.

Jesus juice does some crazy shit.

Is this an argument for swords being better than spears?

Almost all weapons in general were spears. Soldiers were not divided into spearmen and swordsmen. They were trained to use both, all fights started with spears and shields. Other weapons were a fallback in case your equipment was destroyed or lost, or the situation called for a smaller weapon.

It's not like someone who was super well-trained would be trained only in sword combat. Anyone who is going into large-scale combat used spears. On top of that, spears are dueling weapons just like anything else. A spear and shield is analogous to a sword and buckler and people still used them in small fights and one-on-one.

Spears are by no means military-exclusive weapons, and they were not reserved for untrained fighters because training is somehow unnecessary with spears. Everyone who saw combat was trained with a spear, it was not a weapon specifically made for the unwashed and poor nor was it used by them in particular.

Individual skill as well as group tactics decided combat with spears. The actual process for going into battle with a spear was what put it in the hands of untrained peasants. You walk in a group, move as a group, and you just use your weapon to do whatever you can. This doesn't mean that you magically perform well, but you don't need special training to understand the tactics involved with hitting people and not getting hit and walking forward when there is a gap.

An untrained group will not perform well with spears, but they will perform at all rather than scattering like with small arms. Newbies couldn't hold any ground without a shield and spear because they would be confused by combat, but their ability to fight isn't improved by it.

>throwing anus

>Shooting fire and science isn't better
Confirmed for spear loving jackass.

kys scalefag

No manlier weapon exists on earth you tool, go shove a sword up your ass.

If Dark Souls has taught me anything, spears are fucking OP in duels. As long as you can keep the right distance, the opponent just can't deal with your range.

>3rd person
absolutely plebian

All medieval and prior battles must have been gruesome and horrifying as fuck, I can't help but think about what kind of horror would it be to take part in such wars.

upside: you rarely get burnt
downside: you have more chance dying slowly due to infection

>the right distance
A spear has distance in that it can reach out and strike someone further than they could without one. a spear is no less effective close in.

If you fought in them you were likely some peasant cannon fodder who was gonna die from some fucked up disease or starvation anyway.

The vast majority of soldiers would die of disease, medieval battles were actually quiet hard to make happen because the side with the perceived disadvantage would just retreat, and even in an engagement the side that falters would just all run away and regroup, taking relatively light casualties.

Thats why light cavalry became a thing, their job was to run down the fleeing troops and KEEP them fleeing, the only time two armies would stand and fight to the man was if one side or the other had to defend something, like a castle or a town.

Spears are fucking OP you retard. Especially in DS3 with the phantom hitboxing where you get a hit no matter where you aim.

Life expectancy dramatically shot up after childhood.

>very fast soldier running at incredible speed

Yeah, but if you're fighting someone stronger (and with faster reflexes) than you. They might close the distance and fuck you up. I've seen it happen with an unarmed guy (with only boxing experience) against a guy with a gun, I don't see why it couldn't happen with a spear.

Basically, in a one on one fight, range is king, having to get past that point in order to attempt an attack is a major disadvantage.

Course I can think of very few situations where a man would be taking on a spearman while wielding only a sword, on a battlefield, you either have a shield in your offhand, or you have a more primary weapon onhand.

Heroes died with the advent of the internet.

>tied himself to a rock with his own entrails so he would die on his feet
>everyone was still afraid of him in case he was still alive
>wasn't until a bird landed on him that they knew he was dead
For a nation famous for its writers and poets, Irish mythology is underrated as fuck.

when your comparing weapons, the assumption is that both people have similar levels of training and physical fitness, otherwise yes, of course the better trained and more physically fit guy has the fucking advantage.

>he doesnt know the true history and he was nothing but a scape goat to raise moral

That goes with all weapons (within reasonable parameters). Give a sniper rifle to a random pleb and a butter knife to a vet; unless the vet screws up in a colossal way worthy of being written down in history, they'll always chuck the knife up the pleb's butt. Same with spear vs any other kind of melee weapon.

Then why does literally every single game ever made in the history of the universe get it unequivocally wrong?

Apotheon is kind of an RPG, it's really more like an action side scroller but the setting is what you're looking for, and also the game's artstyle looks almost like an ancient greek animated vase

generally, the person with the most knowledge and experience and training using not only their weapon, but their opponents, will win. It's generally why comparisons of weapons will never be "X always beats Y" because of the whole variable of people.

hm, what part? the fingers? or are you talking about games that just pretend the bowstring doesn't exist?

There's Age of Decadence.

Well, yeah, world's best swordsman Vs a spear wielding 125yo grandma in coma is like 50/50 for the dude.

then why did they add crossbows

For some reason, every time i read or hear the word "vet" i think of veterinarians instead of veterans. I immagine this dude dressed as a medic with a hand full of dogshit and another stuck in the civilian's ass

most games, and movies, and most fiction in general, don't know how to draw a bow correctly.

polesword

>+1 to light radius

It's the small things that make it so amazing

because they can almost use a fucking rifle animation for it.

SPEAKING OF CROSSBOWS.

those have never been done right either, a crossbow should be dick witheringly powerful at short range but drop off sharply because short quarrels just aren't stable projectiles, they can't carry impact over distance like arrows can.

Modern crossbows fix this by essentially firing full length arrows.

It's not like that they don't know, they have to make It likable to the majority of people. Same happens with swordfighting, there's literally no videogames or movies that depict It correctly, but that's Just because It has to look "cool". You May not like It but that's how It works

what about it? it's a foregrip incase you want to poke with it like a spear for whatever reason., they sometimes put a wrap around it.

The really big greatswords really were closer to polearms in usage than swords.

Realism doesnt sell. It sucks but that's life

My favourite dumb thing they do with bows is pull it when it's horizontal, your own chest would stop you pulling the string far back enough to actually fling the arrow more than ten feet at a wimpy velocity.

and while still being more versatile

a favorite to any merc that could afford one

>not shooting in horizontal like nigga
I'll bet you even like mayonnaise.

This. Especially if the other person has a shield and blocks the spear.

why do maces and warhammers suck in most games?

>SPEAKING OF CROSSBOWS.
Sperg opinion discarded.

Like spears, they aren't "cool".

Moronic normies like swords and edgy moronic normies like axes. All other weapons are fucked.

no visible effects. I personally really like the idea of crushing your enemies bones, but you can't exactly see that so its not "cool". Dwarf Fortress is nice since it describes exactly how the attack went and what bones were shattered or torn off.

They're good in RPGs against skellys and should be good against heavy armor. Although stabbing is an easier way to kill someone than crushing them.

I've played some older RPGs and they have spears, but with more and more "customization" in characters games lowered the ways of playing. For example Morrowind had spears, but once the Elder Scrolls series became more about quest grinding than adventure they simplified the weapons getting rid of such things as spears, crissbows, levatation, and many other mechanics that let you play the character your way instead of choosing mage, thief, or fighter.

The majority of RPGs I've played had spears. You're a fucktard and this thread is shit.

What are some games that reflect in gameplay that a sword wielder is at a disadvantage against a spearman due to the difference in reach between their weapons?

...Bushido Blade?

the thing with a spear is that it's very easy to change your direction of attack in a thrust with it. The spear being blocked in a thrust is not particularly damaging to the spear user, as it's much easier for them to change the direction of their attack than a similar block would do to a sword. Just for instance, is a spear's thrust is parried up with a sword or shield, the spear can then, fairly easily simply come down in a cut, or bashing them with the haft. The ease of the change in direction of the thrust also makes feints a very good option.

Similar feints with the sword can be very effective against the spear, letting you put your opponent into a guard or counter thrust in a direction that you are prepared to parry, letting you step in and hopefully deliver a cut to their arm, head, or torso. A quick rush can also force the spear user into a guard, giving you chances to attack as well. Typically a combination of aggresively moving forward and feinting will cause your opponent to naturally attempt to guard, and since a single spear guards with both hands you with the sword and shield can react a little better than the spear can.

In the end, it matters less what weapons you're using and more favors whoever has better knowledge and training.

>The majority of RPGs I've played had spears
And they suck, that's the point of the thread, you retarded negro.

for some reason they always make them inferior to swords even when they do include them.

that is not what Gáe Bulg looks like.

Good for you.
However, this wasn't my experience.
Kindly fuck off to whatever Starbucks from whence you came.

Fire Emblem

I don't even see much ponyfags anymore

not sure I get the axe beating the spear.

>In the end, it matters less what weapons you're using and more favors whoever has better knowledge and training.
Woah dude, you really solved the question of which weapon is better on the hands of equally trained people with similar fitness.

To be fair, there isn't much to discuss, since the spear wielder always wins in that situation.

Part 2 isn't even the best, anime only fag.

>since the spear wielder always wins in that situation.
Good joke.

Prove that isn't the case.

The ax could theoretically break the spear with enough force

Except not really and it's video games

(Retarded) Game balance.

What exactly is a spear gonna do about full armor but bounce or slide off?

You could literally walk straight up to some spear peasant without giving a fuck about their useless weapon and grapple their shit.
Even without a shield.

Swords and maces can deal with armor. Spears can't do anything.

Prove that it is since you made the claim first. There is a reason the sword became the bread at butter of melee and the spear got replaced.

so drop your spear and grab your mace

yeah, a hardwood shaft would take several hacks with an axe on the same spot to chop through.

the advantage axes have is they're decent at hacking through mail compared to a sword, their downside is they have a disconcerting habit of getting stuck in people, polish hussars would lose their axes all the damn time.

By the time full plate was a thing, spears were regulated to anti-cavalry formations, pollaxes were the go-to polearm for heavy armoured blokes.

>There is a reason the sword became the bread at butter of melee and the spear got replaced

because I love peasants

Or just ditch the spear altogether moron.

the sword was never the bread and butter of melee in real life, it is and always has been a sidearm, for use with a shield or to be worn on your hip while you wield a bigger polearm or bow, or perhaps operate siege weapons.

That's the thing about swords, they're easy to wear cos they're lightweight compared to all the smashy shit.

Part of the reason swords became such a big deal was because people would carry them about in civilian life because it's not that convenient to lug a spear around town while your getting your groceries.

>walk straight up to some spear peasants
>they trip you with their spears
>get captured
>your lord won't pay the ransom for a retarded man at arms
>peasants make some profit selling the armor
wew

>it's a group of faggots raised by video games that romanticize middle ages/classical warfare talk about it in an unironic tone episode

That's like saying "What exactly is a caveman gonna do about a ritterbrüder ?". The regular spear was almost completely replaced by something else by the time full plate armor made its way into professional armies en masse. Then you'd just have halberds or warhammers or some other weapon to deal with that.

But to answer your question, you could technically find some openings inbetween the plates and thrust or slash there, most notably the armpits.

Read the thread. Plenty of answers.
Your turn.

Who /archers/ here

That alone should tell your pea-brain how effective spears are, if a peasant can pick up a spear and use it to fend skilled warriors. Imagine how effective spears are in hands of someone skilled.

CHU KO NU
H
U

K
O

N
U

>great at absorbing arrows

Most of medieval Japanese war casualties were from arrows. I think about 60 or 80%

>maces can deal with armor. Spears can't do anything.

Then you put a mace/hammer on you spear and kill retards who think armor is going to save them

>m-m-muh skillz

Then you get rekt by a crossbow while jerking off your spear like a faggot.

but theses are some of the best threads.
Religion without endless trolling and SMT threads are up there too.

Pikemen were cheap and very numerous, full armor was pretty rare and usually mounted on horses. Pikemen's job is to fuck the horses up so you fall with all that armor and break half your bones. If you manage to survive like 20 guys poke all your holes in your armor until you surrender or die.

It is when those people leave.

Seriously
>playing Kingdoms of Amalur
>lots of weapon choices
>no spears
>even tho many NPCs have them and there is a spear execution
what the hell

>[melee weapon] user will beat [melee weapon] user any day
>MUH CROSSBOW

Do you also need help tying your shoes before going to middle school every day, user ?

Geez Lu Bu how come your mother lets you keep 2 halberds?

>shooting a fellow christian with a crossbow
There is a special place in hell for you. Confirmed by the Pope BTW.

its also terrifying as fuck, because until around world war 1, marching bands were a thing. Imagine the drums and sound of war just becoming louder and louder from the distance.

Cant be this fucking stupid can you? The fuck would someone lunge with a spear? Thats like having a gun and using it to pistol whip.

Roman armies had auxiliaries, They never were able to defeat the persian dynasties.

You know what weapon was used to murder the son of god?

a spear

I'd guess it's because of collision issues (because they're going to be the longest weapons by far) and lack of interest. People see swords and axes and bows as cool and dignified. People see spears as primitive. That's the same main reason you rarely see clubs, maces, and warhammers.

>bonus damage against jews
And I thought spears couldn't be more awesome.

>it's a "everyone just repeats what lindy said" episode

Can't blame you desu lads, he's right about everything.

>Read the thread. Plenty of answers.
No, plenty of circle jerking. Spears had trouble with shields and did have an issue if you closed the gap. They were the better weapon for horses no argument, but with infantry, you had an issue against armored and shielded foes.
No they didn't. civilians would use pitchforks or other shit to fight unless they were given swords. Swords are much more balanced as they can do better in close range and can have some reach. Something daggers and spears lacked. Plus, they had some weight that an axe or mace had while being able to poke.

Spears are OP as fuck in Nioh, partially because they scale with your main health stat

>lindy
Literally who? Is she hot?

Your generalizing like hell, swords were plentiful enough in civilian life, note that a civilian is not necessarily a fucking dirt farmer reaping his yearly harvest of dung, a nobleman out and about town? he carries a sword on his hip.

later on and in certain countries swords became common as shit, hell, the damn Messer was invented to sidestep a legal technicality barring civilians from owning swords, so they came up with a sword that was legally defined as a knife.

Yeah, seems we all forgot how sword and shield infantry dominated the war fields until the development of fire arms.

What's next, dual wielding katanas?

>fat murrican piece of shit making a fool of himself in the wild
fucking kek

if anything, one handed spear and shield has more of a pedigree.

Kami rest its soul.

There will never be another major studio game like that.

M&B Bannerlord comes out "SOON(tm)"

>[if] you closed the gap
unless the spear user fucks up in a colossal way, on a 1 on 1 it won't happen.

>you had an issue against armored and shielded foes.
sure. just like every other weapon that wasn't a mace, a flail, a poleaxe or any variation of them, barring crossbows and longbows. there's no argument to be made there, kind of obvious.

also i'm assuming you're talking about full plate armor here, why would you bring a shield with you into battle if you already wore that ?

He's talking about someone overdramatically trying to poke somebody with a spear, I think.

This. They were better as anti horse weapons and keeping folk at bay in a small corridor than fighting in a large battle. Spears and javelins were thrown more in those fights than used to stab.
They did. It was far harder to beat a shield than people seem to think. If you have a horse speeding you up, then it can send a guy with a shield down fast, but if it's just the man, he has trouble and the guy with the sword can get in. Even easier if he's using a smaller spear so he can have his own shield.
Noblemen had swords, yes, but most civilians didn't have them. Maybe one for the family that got passed down to the eldest son.

I will admit that as metalworking improved so did the availability of them. Thing is leaders didn't want many people having them because it makes revolts harder to quell.
It is indeed safer, but you lose the huge range advantage that these people seem to worship.
It does when you deflect the spear with your shield.

Nope. Swords were easier to use with speed than a spear was. Allowed you to knock people down easier as well.

People brought shields for the extra protection you loon. Full plate and a shield was much harder to kill with a bolt than just the armor. Also, they had chainmail that could stand up to spears to a degree too. Getting stabbed wasn't some instant death that you seem to think.

>she
lindybeige

>they did

Seems that you came from a parallel world in which heavy armor was common and spears weren't used during all the history.

How's viday in your world?

>swords allowed you to knock people down easier than a spear

well that's just a bold faced lie, a staff has far better leverage for toppling an opponent.

Full plate generally wasn't used with shields user, it was redundant and freeing a hand means you can bring a two hander, infact as plate armour developed shields actually shrunk in size until the only shields still in use were bucklers (favoured again in civilian life because of conveniance of carry since it's small)

noticed you skipped over the little messer story since it doesn't fit with your headcanon, sure they wouldn't have been amazing quality but when you get down to it, it's not that difficult to make a pointy metal bar with an edge on it, especially not by the time of fullplate armour being a thing, because we're talking fifteenth, sixteenth century here, it wasn't the dung ages anymore.

Never said they weren't, but that was because of the simplicity. Swords were used to and several groups didn't use spears heavily. Mainly Americans.
Sure. Use a heavy weapon to try and trip either a lightly armored and fast person, or a heavier armored person, both with shield to block.