Is it just me or has there literally been no good games so far this year?

Is it just me or has there literally been no good games so far this year?

I'm starting to lose hope.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EMtsbuRXlcs
youtube.com/watch?v=kbx0cYxcfxM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ITT, you state a good game and then OP replies with "But I said a GOOD game, that's shit!"

anyway, I'll bite. Dark Souls 3 is good

the Meet your match u[date in tf2 :^)

I enjoyed both the Witness and Obduction. Though the former tries to appear deeper than it is, and the latter was very obviously low budget.

I've enjoyed a lotta games this year.

Uncharted 4 was nice
Overwatch is kinda fun
XCOM 2 is great
Dark Souls 3 is amazing
Doom was extremely fun
Mankind Divided is very good

Feels good to be able to enjoy games.

The Witness is a puzzle game done right. Tons of great stacking mechanics, it constantly makes you challenge your assumptions or try new methods, and the overworld exploration is a nice little bonus.

I think a lot of people on Cred Forums didn't give it a chance because the developer is a famous douchebag but he really is very skilled at making great puzzle videogames

Maybe if you only play Triple A trash.
Rabi-Rabi, GG Xrd Rev and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir have been fantastic games.
Games such as Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Overwatch and TMS are also good, if a bit flawed

What makes him a douchebag?

He got some "hate by association" because he worked with Phil Fish on Braid, and he made a lot of comments about stuff like games that aren't artistic are inferior and games like MMOs are immoral because they create a false image of life.

I just remember Cred Forums giving the game shit at release because of the developers, I don't really remember the specifics because it was just shitposting and I ignored it

Worse version of DaS
Shitty walking sims
Yawn
>liking Deus Ex: One Game Divided
>playing weebshit

Dark Souls 3
Doom

Why even waste your time with video games then you dunce. You obviously dont like anything.

SMT4F was fantastic. Persona 5 is great. DS3 was enjoyable. Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider were okay but had great graphics.

And then there were a bunch of decent indie games and niche games like Stardew Valley.

There are plenty of good games every year, but shit like memewatch and that literal abomination of an SMT game are not.

Oh so you just created this thread to shitpost like a drooling contrarian. So creative of you, nobody does this every hour of the day at all.

DOOM is decent. There's something about it I don't like, though. Can't quite put my finger on it.

He likes to throw temper tantrums on twitter and is very loudly "I'm smarter than everyone else."

The only worthwhile games this year are Dark Souls 3 and Final Fantasy XV.

This doesn't bode well for the industry if you ask me...

Though some of them required an annoying amount of precision (like the ones in the boat,) a lot of the environment puzzles were really well done and blended so well into everything.

>weeb shit
They might be weeb, but they ain't shit.
If you can't appreciate games like Rabi-Ribi because of their artstyle kill yourself, the board will be better with shitposters like you.

Opinion =/= fact, nigger.

Well nobody asked you

*without

>starting
It's been getting worse for years.

Only cared about SMTIVA, DXHR and Dishonoured 2 this year.
Next year is just waiting for KS projects to finish and I'm done with modern games.

That it had too much modern AAA sterilization to it?

Surprisingly based taste.

You should play Rabi-Ribi though.

Ok, everyone agrees that 2010-11 were the last good years of video games ?

>no one has mentioned Kirby Planet Robobot
Come on now

Nah. I'm not broken with cynicism yet. I still enjoy video games.

Other than DaS 3 and Star Fox. I don't think I've played anything that came out this year.

No.

2013-16 have been good also.

Who /optimism/ here?

Me.

This has been a great year.

I liked The Witness and Obduction

Yep.

If I ever got to the point where I genuinely disliked every game in a single year, I'd probably quit gaming.

Good thing that will never happen.

I'm not retarded like Cred Forums.

Overwatch
Doom
Dark souls 3
Xcom 2

All of them literally 10/10

Furi

Just google " [year] best video games"

start in 1996

Now compare.

Dark Souls 3 and Overwatch are the only games I cared to play

FFXV and The Last Guardian later this year

What the fuck are Shiren and Brigador?

All shit.

This.

I'm very optimistic. I believe my helium tank I ordered yesterday will arrive tomorrow.

Doom
Ace Attorney 6
SMTIVA
AM2

That's just what I've personally enjoyed. Haven't bought a lot of new games this year, but that's mostly because I'm a poor fuck.

Meh everything i play is atleast 5 years old anyway so i dont care

All shit

A lot of those old games aged like shit ie. Goldeneye yet you nostalgia fags will think otherwise

Oh you're going to blow up some balloons? That's cool user, balloons make me happy. You ARE blowing up balloons right?

>Diablo, Dook 3D, Quake, SM64, Civ 2, ResiEvi, C&C RA, Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout 2097, Descent 2, DKCR, Parappa, SMRPG, Tomb Raider

Most of those games aren't really that good. They're mostly a big deal for being important to gaming culture or for the history of their genre, and have far superior sequels or modern equivalents.

It was a landmark year at the time, but it's really not that great in hindsight besides from a historic perspective.

I don't even know why you're saying that man, although it's true.

My point is that we objectively have far less excellent games per years since 2010

FURI is GOTY.

Dark Star is pretty hot for a quick game.
Salvation 1.07 is high tier for an rpg maker game.

He says a bunch of stuff that's not inherently incorrect or even offensive but does it in a way that often comes across as very smug and self-important. He has a track record that owes up for it, though.

Only in a current sense.

We get less great games per year, but they don't age as badly and wind up eventually being considered subpar like old classics tend to.

I'm happier with the current status Quo.

ITT: worst taste in human history

What the fuck is wrong with your comprehension today ?

These game were magic when they were out, why are you doing a comparison with today games it's completely dumb.

The point is, like you say, how many games from 2011-2016 really brought something big
for gaming/their genre ?

>they don't age as badly

You don't and you can't know that and I heavily doubt it.

Tell me about that PES 2017 and NHL17 user :^)

This is still my GOTY so far.
Very few games ever make me want play them to 100 percent, and this was one of them. I've got no complaints with it, other than there being a slight lack of difficulty in the main game, but easiness is to be expected of Kirby games. True Arena more than makes up for it on difficulty, but I still would like to see a more difficult main game for once, like DL2 and DL3. Maybe a setting that halves your health?

>Why would you compare them to games from today you fucking retard?
>Okay but yeah now let's talk about the games from then in comparison to today like we originally were.

Undertale truly spoiled us last year.

They've started diluting those with oxygen now, but if you're a burger you can buy a shotgun at your local walmart for ~200

Dude, I hope you're trying to troll or something, otherwise it's just sad.

If you're into racing games you might like the new F1 2016 game. It's pretty good, Codemasters finally didn't fuck it up.

There have been a large number of good games this year.

Not all of them will appeal to you.

But if you've played ALL the games this year generally considered to be good, and none of them appealed to you, then the problem is with you.

They are good, your point?

>he didnt play the rest of the zero escape series

Doom, Monster Hunter Generations, Blood and Wine (expansion, not standalone), Odin Sphere, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Dragon Quest 7 (remake), Dark Souls 3. Not all are 10/10, but all are good or better.

furi and stardew valley
/thread

F U R I
U
R
I

I did.

ZTD was a fucking insult to any actual fan of 999 and VLR.

There haven't really been any games this year that I want. Doom is an exception, but my toaster isn't good enough to run it until I upgrade my GPU.

Every other game I've been interested in has been delayed until next year.

Do it.
Just do it pussy.

Why was Furi so good, bros
A game hasn't gotten me this hype in a long time

This

i leik video gaems
also xcom 2, DS3, and Deus Ex MD were terrific games. If you didnt like any of those, get a new hobby. Note: I dont expect you to LOVE them or think they are the best in their respective series, but if you truly like gaming you should be able to appreciate them.

I feel like Dishonored 2 is gonna be a pretty enjoyable game
I liked the first one, way too easy but decent level design

>more good games being released each year
>we're literally living in the best time for video games in history
>people still cant enjoy themselves

i dont understand. by the way, pre-2007, the year you all claim where everything went to shit, all game's journalists were cynical as fuck about games and didnt seem to enjoy anything, like you people do here sometimes. yet when you look back (because you were kids) you claim those times were the best. in 10 years people who are teenagers now will grow old and cynical and will claim today was the best time for gaming while their current year of 2026 is shit and nothing good is released, even though there will be even better games being released then.

how about just fucking play games and ENJOY THEM NOW

>fun

I cannot understand how people think that way. I've played all three and I thought it was phenomenal. 999 was the best but I really loved ZTD.

Cossacks 3. Coming soon.

The problem I have is being 27, nothing really appeals to me now. Looking at a game video I feel like I've seen it all before and it's just not designed with me in mind.

When I was a kid I played a lot of PC games that were too complex for me and I went back to them when I was older to play them properly. Where are those games now?

Because it was terribly written from the halfway point onwards, it resolved nothing for half the characters and plot lines, and everything Uchikoshi told us about it was an utter fucking lie.

This is literally a problem with you and not with games. I'm around the same age as you and I can find tons of games that do new things that I find interesting, I just have to look a bit harder.

This user has the right idea

What went wrong with SuperHot?

>What the fuck are Shiren
Shiren is the Mystery Dungeon series. You know: Torneko's Dungeon, Chocobo's Dungeon, that whole mass of Pokemon Dungeon games? Shiren is basically the original, general version of those, without the series-specific skins.

I was getting hype in the thread earlier but now I'm seeing a bunch of people saying it's going to be postponed or released unfinished

Yes but 2015 was better

They still exist if you look hard enough.

Paradox's grand strategy games, autism simulators like Factorio/Dwarf Fortress, fucking insane puzzle games like spacechem, and many more titles are still around and hugely complex.

>mfw discovering the sword charge mechanic
Melee phase was so cool after that
I mean the right mouse button charge, not the left one

Well, shit. I hope it turns out well.

>tfw while I enjoyed a lot of new releases this year, Dead Rising will prolly be the most fun I've had with a vidya in 2016, prolly my GOTY

Is this industry that bad, lads?

That's not the games, that's you.
I'm 28 and I know exactly how you feel. What you need to do is get out into the world. Get a job. Get some cash. Get a car. Do some traveling. Doesn't even have to be big and extravagant and far, just do something you've never done before, even if it's visiting a restaurant you've never been to, or reading a book you'd never otherwise read. You need to expand your horizons man. Gain some worldly perspective.
When you're properly stimulated both physically and intellectually, it's easier to enjoy everything, including video games.

>What went wrong with Superhot?

Not nearly enough variety in both scenarios and weapons, a poor and needlessly tacked on narrative, and a lack of fanlevel/mod support to give it longevity or more creative applications of its core mechanic.

I beat it in just one evening and still somehow felt bored by the end.

It eliminates downtimes during close combat and it's a perfect risk/reward system.

Except against this guy on furier.

Same.

Monster Hunter Generations

It's not really that good though ;_;

It blows my mind they fucked up the grinding after nearly getting it perfect with 4U

Ace Attorney 6 and SMT IV Final are good enough for me. Also, Overwatch is fun.

>Rise of the Tomb Raider
>Gravity Rush Remastered
>Megadimension Neptunia VII
>Plague Inc: Evolved
>Stardew Valley
>Deponia Doomsday
>Far Cry Primal
>Dark Souls III
>Doom
>Salt and Sanctuary
>Overwatch
>Dead by Daylight
>7 Days to Die
>Starbound
>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

inb4
>hurr durr i said only good games

>no Furi
Shit list

>Worse version of DaS
nope. 1 > 3 = BB > 2 >>>> SotFS

>liking Deus Ex: One Game Divided
so what? it's a great game.

>playing weebshit
not playing weebshit...

you dont like any games, do you?

Should i buy monster hunter 4 ultimate or Dragon quest 7?

didn't had that on plan, but you're right

>overwatch

10 year old please leave

MH4U

>XCOM2
>Great

Nigga, wut?

k

have you played both or are you just saying that because mh4u is so good?

came here to post this

forza horizon 3 comes out soon
just gotta fuck my shit up with win10 first

>Hurr Durr I said only good games
Most of the list is shit though.

>hurr durr stop playing games i dont like

Divinity Original Sin 2 is prety gud.

This really has been a shit year for games. I think the only game released in 2016 I actually enjoyed for an actual period of time was Mankind Divided, but the terrible story and abrupt ending made me drop that shit really fast.

Also, Rise of the Tomb Raider was fucking awful. Why are people using that game as a counter point?

i enjoyed all of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do like overwatch

But it is by no means a good game, its the most mediocre tf2 clone imaginable

pretty much the definition of average

DESU i didnt play DQ7 - only dq9 back then. was a really good game, but i don't know how good DQ7 is

This was good.

Furier difficulty could have used some work, though.

>the only bosses that are even remotely different are the first boss and the old man boss
>every other boss is exactly the same aside from hitting harder and having more health
>they remove the health things to make it more challenging, but for some reason the old man boss still gives you them, idk if it was intentional or just a blatant oversight

The music and art direction are 10/10, though.

The problem is people are too pre-occupied with games being PERFECT.

I know, because I've caught myself doing the same thing.

When you read peoples' comments about things, even if it's about a game they like, everyone has to qualify their opinion with something negative, so they don't come off like a shill or otherwise biased.

So when you ask someone what they thought of a game, even if they really enjoyed the game, their opinion is either going to be
>"OMG BEST GAEM EVAR",
at which point it's dismissed as being overly positive and discarded, or
>I liked it a lot, it's a really good game, BUT...
In which case, people cling to the "BUT" portion of the comment, which mars the entire experience.
This is especially easy to do with games like DOOM or DaS3, games with prestigious pedigrees and very discerning fans. Fans who have been disappointed so thoroughly and so routinely that it's almost not a true experience for them UNLESS there's some disappointment involved.

Add to that the whole "Games media are evil" mentality that's come in like a plague recently, and you have people who strive to bring "truth" to the masses by directly contradicting positive review scores, doing whatever it takes to make a good game look bad simply because that game happens to be a critical darling.
I don't think anyone is denying how slanted games reviewers can be, but I think it's easier than people give credit for, to forget that a game can get a positive review score simply because it's good, and not because the reviewer was paid off or otherwise biased. Good games are still a thing that can and often do happen.

Gears of war 4 is going to be good.

so much this

DQ7 was supposedly great, only thing people didn't like were the shitty visuals (which were improved for the remake)

Last one i played was DQ8, which was fucking awesome, and I here that 7s about on the same level story/characters/gameplay-wise

Its a really tough decision tbqh

slightly worried they had to go with midi ost instead of orchestral due to the autistic composer

>midi
youtube.com/watch?v=EMtsbuRXlcs

>orchestral
youtube.com/watch?v=kbx0cYxcfxM

It gave me exactly what I wanted; the core gameplay-loop and mechanics of the previous game, but with enough changes to be worth playing for another hundred hours of fun.

I'd consider it a great sequel and game, personally.

Yes. Just look no further than the next game coming out in its own series.

>DQ7 was supposedly great, only thing people didn't like were the shitty visuals
You're kidding me. Hardly anyone critiqued DQ7 for its visuals, outside people expecting 3D on the PS1. The reason most people didn't like it was because they were expecting the hand-holding visual actionfest like FF7 and they were upset when the game didn't do that.

>The reason most people didn't like it was because they were expecting the hand-holding visual actionfest like FF7 and they were upset when the game didn't do that.

thats what i meant m8

There wasn't much else to nitpick about it other then the visual style being """""""""outdated"""""""" and the slow start

i can't see shit, i'm colorblind

pleb casual spotted. nfw you competed all the challenge modes in one day

why is every game trying to recreate geralt now?

>Superhot
Was at least okay. It's too innovative to relegate to anything less.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't use all these new emojis

Well fucking duh, why would I play challenge modes for a boring game?

Shiren, MonHun, and Overwatch are still being played.

Everything else except the meh tier games is finished.

Yeah 2016 has been bloody awful. E3 was terrible as well. The issue is no big studios are willing to risk a new out there IP. That's what I used to loook forward to. New tech and new concepts imagined. Now it's just remasters or 10 year old cartoon garbage like overwatch.

nothing went wrong
the 7dfps was excellent and the release was perfect. challenges included there's a solid 100 hours of content
>the story was a bit lacking, admittedly

> someone who likes video games
> on Cred Forums
you are a rare species my friend

Because media is starting to realise that the old grizzled warrior is the best warrior again.

Stop playing video games or look harder beyond AAA shit.

TO SAVE OUR MOTHER EARTH FROM ANY ALIEN ATTACK

>why would I play challenge modes
completionism is the only option, user

>2016
>worse than 2015
>i m p l y i n g

FROM VICIOUS GIANT INSECTS WHO HAVE ONCE AGAIN COME BACK

WE'LL UNLEASH ALL OUR FORCES WE WON'T CUT THEM ANY SLACK

THE EDF DEPLOYS

Divinity: Original Sin 2 looks very promising, and I absolutely loved the first one. I've been pretty disappointed with the games this year so far, but I know Larian won't let me down.

>starting to

kys

Agreed with this guy