Playing this for the first time, just googled how to find the red switch. How are you supposed to know this by yourself...

Playing this for the first time, just googled how to find the red switch. How are you supposed to know this by yourself. I get that the light appears but it's too cryptic to actually stand there and use the camera to look up, it was never used in the game so far.

back then we had other kids and brothers tell us

>he never used C-Up to look around
back when I was a kid, we were not total idiots, and curiosity led us to great things.

You can imagine that these were fucking top notch graphics at the time. I think people were more curious to look around and take in everything. If they saw something shiny they'd most likely want to have a look at it.

At the same time games weren't that obvious back then.

Do you even need the red switch to finish the game?

I'm borderline retarded and yet the first time I saw the light I went right in the middle of it and looked up to see what the fuck it was. What's your excuse?

>Generation Z kid plays an old game: The Post

>Do you even need the red switch to finish the game?
not the story, but you cannot 100% the game without the caps.

i am the oldest brother and had no friends back then so i was figuring this shit out by myself.

>every time you enter the castle there's nothing there
>suddenly after getting a star there's a huge fucking light shaft illuminating the floor
>thinking it's not natural to look up

what the fuck kind of autist wouldn't be curious enough to at least look up at it? If you didn't realize it suddenly appeared you were either a retard or weren't like every other kid who roamed around and memorized every inch of the castle.

You can look up into it without standing in it, though, and just continue on thinking it is nothing.

I was confused, too. It's how I first subscribed to Nintendo Power. Nintendo has always made shit waaay too hard and confusing just so they could sell their shit magazine. People think them selling Amiibos and crap is a recent thing, but it's not.

Me and my dad figured it out on our own nigger, we didn't have google

If it's true that you have to be in the center for it to activate, I'll give you that it's an odd decision by Nintendo. However, I still think it's natural for the order to go:

>step into the light
>nothing happens?
>look up

Surely you'd try to touch it first, after all. That said it outta activate if you aren't within it. Just to stay within that nintendo pocket of being accessible.

>tfw never found the blue switch or Snowman's Land in Mario 64 when I was a kid

Every kid back then has a nintendo power and i'm sure it would be told there. Also gamefaqs if you are talking about the mid 2000's

This is the only "crypt hidden bullshit" in the game yet it's not that hard to figure out. Really i looked at the light and sunddenly i was flying.

>there are people who don't use stop to admire things in third person games by activating the first person camera

that shit is so transparent that you dont even notice there is light after some stars.
Unoticeable
That's why 65% of the mario64 copies were refeunded back in the day

>nintendo power
>shit
You shut your fucking mouth.

super mario 64 encouraged these kinds of things. It's exciting to discover worlds in the walls instead of the paintings, or to solve the puzzles in big boo's haunt, like getting behind that boo painting or solving the library puzzle.

just glad I wasn't an ADHD moron, and that we didn't have these magazines nor internet connection available.

user, it was 1996. Kids would be talking about the game on the bus and in class. If something was too hard to figure out, you asked someone and he knew a kid who knew a kid whose father worked for Nintendo so he got free Nintendo Power magazine. This is how secrets in games were spread before the internet was common.

It's also how lots of bullshit was spread, so take the good with the bad.

Mario 64 was one of my first video games and I could tell something would happen if I looked up at the light source.

I don't think Nintendo was in charge of Nintendo Power user.

This is actually a really nice memory for me. I had discovered the Blue and Green caps but could't for the life of me get the Red. My buddy came to my house after school and I showed him how to get the Green one. When he just said 'Look up to the light' I felt like such a fucking retard but goddamn flying was fun in that game.

N64 was the GOAT children's console.

I can't believe people getting into vidya in their later years are retarded to such an extent