Anyone else think Naughty Dog's animations look terrible? The sliding is unbearable

Anyone else think Naughty Dog's animations look terrible? The sliding is unbearable.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y2vCko6V4pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmoQzwnDoOo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

also he loses all momentum when he jumps

Not really

Yes really

No.

Jumping in Uncharted has always felt weird because of the way it auto-adjusts the player based on context

Sometimes he keeps his momentum, like in this webm.
I am still finding new animations in this game to this very day. There are just so many of them.

There are a bunch for slamming into the ground while swinging at high speed (based on the direction you are facing on the rope when you impact), for example, that you almost never see in normal gameplay.

This is the one that really bothered me, personally. Gameplay wise it would have been more fun to keep that momentum but they're too scared to let the player fail, despite the fact that the player would only have to go back 10-15 seconds at most with the ridiculous checkpoints.

I beat this game on Crushing, platinumed it, and honestly it's the kind of thing I might come back to every other year or so. Still not as well-paced at Uncharted 2 and actually took away some of the QOL improvements from 3.

I can't really decide about this game. It's okay. I think most people will get enjoyment enough out of it just from playing the story once and dropping it. Definitely a rental.

Unless you play multiplayer. The multiplayer is solid af.

oh wow, i didnt even know you can jump out of the jeep like that.
i like the animations that play out when you try to enter the jeep from different locations.

but yeah, jumping in general always seems pretty fucked up. like what said.
like sometimes when you try to jump onto a rope, theres times where you will be in the air way longer than you should be if you try jumping onto a rope at a weird angle. you'll still grab the rope but thats because drake will slowly gravitate towards it.

I think it is like that because of the multiplayer. They want the normal jump from on-foot to always be the same speed for consistency (you do get a little extra propulsion when you jump off a rope on the fastest part of the upswing)

bump

IMO it looks solid. There is almost never any clipping. The sliding is not that noticeable, and it allows enemies to have good shared-animations (like melee exchanges) with the player

>The sliding is not that noticeable
What? You constantly slide to cover.

quality.

There's zero buildup. Nobody in this thread understands anything about animations or why Uncharted's are shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=y2vCko6V4pQ

most of the time it looks fine. Even when he shuffles to cover really fast it just looks like he's kinda diving for it

accept it, naughty dog are mediocre devs

If you compare animations in games like NG to Uncharted you're fucking retarded

>Nobody in this thread understands anything about animations
neither do you, you just pretend you do.

>or why Uncharted's are shit.
ok, confirmed youre just here to shitpost.
nobody in this thread said uncharteds animations are a godsend or anything like that. hell, most even pointed out its flaws if anything.

Post a game with better animations then

i watched about half of the video. The guy's criteria for good animation seems to be mostly based on how challenging it makes gameplay for the player. He is retarded.

What makes an animation feel "satisfying" is the short pause *after* the impact, where you see the damage you've done. Buildup doesn't matter; the attack can come out of nowhere.

this game has problems, but animations are hardly one of them
and to be able to get a sling, I forgive it

That shit though

I think you're a fucking sonygger because if it's a 3D action game you SHOULD give more than half a shit about its animations. Uncharted doesn't get special treatment.

>that obvious auto aim on the jump attack
pleb game. It should be like l4d

It's cartoony as fuck.

this rope shit gets posted all the time but it looks like a shitty gimmick to me

There's a world of difference between a 3D cover-based third-person shooter and a 3D spectacle fighter.

If you really can't infer why animation buildup and telegraphing is unimportant for a game that neither takes place almost entirely in melee range nor places a heavy focus on anticipating and avoiding attacks with split-second precision, you probably shouldn't be critiquing these.

Dude, stop this, you're not even trying to hide that bait anymore. Uncharted 4 have one of the best and most detailed anymations you will ever see, build up and momentum has nothing to do with the animation per se but it is a gameplay choice, if you want procedural animations, then good luck to you, it would take around 5 years just to make it look as good as MoCap is in just one take.

I wasn't saying it doesn't look fine. I was saying that you can easily notice it. In that webm you posted he slides every time when going for cover. The animation and slide doesn't match up and it's not an easy solution without having like 100 different to cover animations. Sure, overtime you'll get used to it and doesn't matter but you cannot say it's not noticeable.

I think the problem is that the animation is so far into the uncanny valley that any flaws look very out of place and unnatural.

Kill yourself

Ninety percent of webms have been tons of melee fighting though you fucktarded sonygger

I'm Uncharted, but games have done this swinging rope stuff decades ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmoQzwnDoOo

Does it have or require the same in-depth dodging and parrying mechanics as Ninja Gaiden? Would it be improved if Drake could flash step to avoid enemy attacks?

You're legitimately lacking a frontal cortex, good job you fucking genius

It's an honest question. Would Uncharted be improved if it had i-frames and dodging? Would it fit the themes of the game if it had mechanics similar to Ninja Gaiden's?

Wow you really are demonstrating your knowledge of what animations are you braindead fuckcuck

You still haven't answered my question. Would Uncharted be improved if it had the same animation-heavy mechanics as Ninja Gaiden? Are easily-noticed combat telegraphs a necessity for a game like Uncharted?

>Buildup doesn't matter
what

the climbing mechanics and animations a just plain shit since UC1 and nothing changed since

rest is good

Yes, ND are hacks.

>the climbing mechanics and animations a just plain shit since UC1 and nothing changed since
The climbing is vastly improved from Uncharted 1. In 4 you can reach your hands out 360 degrees and reach for ledges, climbing between them realistically instead of just spamming X and hopping from ledge to ledge like a monkey, and now you have sliding, swinging and using the piton added to the mix

yeah thats a lot better
im still waiting for a price drop to buy it cuz im not paying more $20 for a 6 hours game

but you have to agree that in UC1-3 climbing looks retarded

you heard me. Buildup can help, but it is not nearly as important as the cooldown after the blow