Post an update that ruined a game you liked

Other urls found in this thread:

teamfortress.com/post.php?id=22765
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Free to play TF2 (well hats were the start)

Realm of the Mad God whenever they started doing in-game purchases

When they turned Counter Strike into a full-fledged standalone game, it proceeded to be garbage.

Was this when they changed wilderness?

Grand Exchange was 27th of November, 2007.
The Wilderness turning into a revenant zone with specific PvP areas was 10th of December, 2007.

So, yeah. Not too long apart.

>Everyone only ever stands around one spot
>People who would ordinarily have gathered stuff manually now start buying from a machine
>People who would ordinarily have either dropped or used their stuff can simply sell it with the click of a button
>no talking
>no haggling
Honestly the GE was bullshit.

Player-owned shops, with a Neopets-style shop-searching interface would have been rad as fuck. They could have built and expanded it with Construction. They could have implemented a Merchanteering skill that gains you experience depending on how much of your money you dump into a literal sink for money, which yields expansion licenses and such.

You could hire NPCs to watch over your store for you and sell items at a set price, or simply close it when you're offline, with a teleport spell to go to it when you're alerted that someone's entered it so you can try and haggle...

But no. GE. I'm so disappointed in it.

>mfw this shit made me quit twice
FUCKING JAGEX

Ironman.

GE was amazing. You could actually go do content instead of standing around in a glorified chat room. Cut down on scammers, and it made it possible to only sell a small amount of an item instead of constantly selling/buying in bulk.

Minecraft horse update.

Mm, see, it's not the particular benefits that bother some people about it, but rather, the way those benefits were executed.

>Realm of the Mad God
im still butthurt about how much they ruined that game

it was pretty much perfect before

/thread

At least they have that open source AoS now, right? Does anyone play that?

>the thing that halted scamming, item stealing, and trade exploitation is considered bad

I feel like it was all perpetuated by butthurt scammers.

Biomes in Minecraft

Fuck off faggot.

>hurr durr standing around for four hours spamming "wave2: SELLING X" was so fun

Payday 2. That update that prevented mission farming. Their solution was that, whenever you pulled off an awesome heist you were treated with an interlude where you had to defend your truck in place from hundreds of policemen.

Also featuring a shit ton of armored police that were bullet sponges and fucking boring to fight against.

oh boy here we go

>Last actual content update was fucking Candyland right after the original Developers were replaced
>0 content after that, just new ways to access current content and ways to get shop shit (and take forever) without paying

So bad it made standing around spamming "selling x" all day absolete. Abloo boo boo.

>making potholes
>dashing across no mans land
>digging trenches
>building a well hidden pillbox in the hillside
>figures running in the distance, vanishing in the fog like ghosts
>enemy kids throw grenades until your pillbox is rubble, but you repair it and other people help you

that shit was fucking on point

THEY HAD SOMETHING GOOD WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT

Nothing compares.

The grand exchange was shit, but the game was already going downhill. The "recent" combat overhaul was shit too.

>bounty hunter

I understand that auction houses and junk are super convenient but it's just another feature supporting the total automization of the genre. If you wanted to sell something you'd either advertise it in a bank, or go to the player made marketplace where the location of different stalls cropped up organically and people were haggling in real time trying to get the best deals.

In a way that built up the community of the game and made it more like an online world. Just like if you were interested you could go join one of the runecrafting companies where a small group of people interested in exp over profit employed dozens of people who would do all the tedious legwork in exchange for a product they could sell or use themselves.

The automization of MMOs is really the worst thing ever because it's almost entirely killed any of the social/community end. These days trading is automated, partying is automated, dungeons and raids are automated, even the weakest class has no trouble soloing any of the content, and there's literally no reason to ever interact with another human being aside from internet drama.

They ruined Quake Online a few months ago.

When Blizzard arbitrarily decided to switch which Death Knights were the tanks. I was actually enjoying that game for once, and then they pulled that shit.

its like they actively try to ruin good things

meet your maker update
levels update for RUST

Terrible.

Frost made more sense. You use ice to make shields and shit. What's blood about, life draining? That's lame. I wanted barriers of ice.

>Everything wrong with modern MMOs in a single post

I am still playing them but on the inside I am dead.

MGSV was already extremely flawed but konami kept injecting shitty post launch patches that ultimately bloated the single player with more crap and locked away your resources unless you were online
Killing floor 2 lootcrates
Blacklight retribution 1 day rentals gone and completely changing the interface into dog shit
Crimefest Day 1 2016

This update was good if you used trading to make some money. The game was already declining before the update anyways.

No, but yes, I get what you're saying.

Shit, I remember playing it a really long time ago, it was so fun.
Is there any other game like this ?

hunger in minecraft
lattice in planetside 2

most fighting game 'balance' patches that nerf the weak and buff the already strong

This is a very good post.

>implying EOC isn't worse then GE

The day it all started tumbling down.

>Implying RS wasn't ruined before EoC
>Implying EoC didn't make it.margimally better

Payday 2

The game was already stretching it with the majority of content being locked behind DLC, but the addition of stat boosting micro-transactions at the start of a community event that was specifically advertised to showcase new free content, the fact that the devs had previously promised never to add micro-transactions and you'd be dumb for thinking otherwise, with Steam community volunteer mods outright admitting they were censoring naysayers in a sticky thread were things that finally made me quit. They apparently toned the micro-transactions down later on due to the humongous backlash and I actually tried the game again, only to find out that they had completely revamped the skill tree, "rebalanced" weapons and broken the entire game with shit that made even the highest difficulty levels piss easy.

This, they threw on so much bullshit into the combat system that it was just tedious, plus it just made certain fights so much easier with a right setup that it made things like barrows so much more easy

The update that made your weapon/spell effectiveness scale off of your magicka/stamina pools. Totally ruined the creativity of mix-matching skills and hybrid characters, which are a major part of Elder Scrolls games.

This stings extra hot, because every *other* update to the game has been sound, if not actually good. The content they've added for thieves, assassins and just general quality-of-life updates have been exactly what the game needed, and One Tamriel looks like it'll really catapult the game into its own.

I just hate that all of that is building off a system that absolutely forces you into a common role/archetype.

>game update kills the game population
>instead of rectifying the issue, they double down on the stupidity because "buh we can't alienate all the new fans we got"
>every fucking game ever

The update that removed MTs, revamped the skilltree, and changed weapons really wasn't bad imho. It did force players into more cookie-cutter builds, but it also reduced point costs enough to allow players to spec into perks that were previous attainable because of their cost.

I really liked seeing what they'd done.... But I'm already moved on from that game and can't really say they would have done this had it not been from the backlash/diminishing playerbase. Their bottom line seems to have always been money with good advertising and sony deals.

The game was fundamentally fun after almost every update (except the one that nerfed shotguns, fuck them for doing that), but the developers are such slimey rats, they don't deserve to have people playing their game.

Really the whole crimefest 2 event ruined it, but this was just the diarrhea icing on the shit cake.

woto.io v 0.0.0.4

so what was bad about the grand exchange update other than less player interactions

They are basicly giving out the rarest items now, and it has even newer devs

Really ashamed of myself for having played this game as long as I did, but holy fuck this was the last straw.

Riot's incompetence knows no limits.

Thank you for introducing a premium currency that is a catalyst for the true downfall of a game

>play cabal online
>first 3 channels were always full, because of players selling
>come back to it later
>auction house, almost no one trades the normal way anymore
I died a little.

It's convenient, that's for sure. But now you have players interacting less with eachother, something that is one of the core mechanics of MMO's

>ToC

ToC was an abysmal raid but it's patch didn't introduce Group Finder.

Glad someone else remembers this. Good times.

I used to love walking around Tir Chonaill in Mabinogi when it first came out. I would try to sell my noob items and buy other items I thought were also noob friendly but I just haven't found.

Then came all of the gold sellers and that game was completely ruined for me. I used to think me sitting there going up and reporting all of the bots was doing something but I checked the game out after a few years and it's still the same mess. It hurt my feelings to think I was actually making a difference all that time but it wasn't ending.

teamfortress.com/post.php?id=22765

Overwatch didn't even scratch that itch I was wanting, and then valve had to pull this bullshit.

There is literally nothing wrong with group finder

There's nothing wrong with anything of that. Convenience affects gameplay, community should not.

Zulrah was, without a doubt, the worst addition to OSRS.

>devalues 90% of gathering
>seeds out the fucking ass
>logs out the fucking ass
>millions of gold per hour

Why do you think the way you do

Skill transfers in PaD

PaD is a horrible game, but I liked it enough (without putting money into it), but this was just the last thing. No more.

EP4 is the real problem where it all start going downhill.

>my feet hurt
>I'm hungry
>my equipment needs recharging
>I wish I was in Falador Park spamming trade messages for three and a half hours until someone offers to buy my 1k shark certs for 60% market value

The F2P update completely killed this game. It wasn't the greatest game before, but goddammit if I didn't have fun playing it before they decided to revamp everything into an unrecognizable mess.

TF2 ruined quake team fortress for me forever

because all QTF servers died after it came out

Mannconomy update for TF2 is the only glaringly bad update I can think of. Grand Exchange is something players had been asking for forever, but I definitely agree it lowered the quality of the game.

I guess every WoW expansion after Burning Crusade too.

>play league religiously
>new season with new patch
>zhonyas gets nerfed
>scimitar doesn't remove zed mark
>mr items are cheaper
>adcs can duel mages
I swear I fucking lost it and sweared to never play other moba again

what the fuck are they doing now

the last time I played was at the end of S2 and when it became clear that Riot couldn't make video games and that S1 was a fucking fluke.

Runescape 2.

I played runescape forever when the game was young, i loved it.

RS2 killed the game for me.

what about the opposite?

dota 2 got so much better with the source 2 update, and the current patch is probably one of the most balanced patches in DotA history

i stopped playing because i cant stand the bullshit matchmaking tho, for shame since the game can be very fun if it wasnt for the players

Warframe post Update 15
>I held out for as long as i could senpai

Most the people who fall for scams were the ADHD kids who got super excited when they saw someone selling a Rune scimmy for 15k

The Sheik nerf in Smash 4 ruined my competitive career.

You forgot
>infiltrating the enemy base and stealing their flag without being seen

All downhill from here.

And its not even out yet

1.8 is the update that killed Minecraft.

Yeah but the gathering update is the final nail because the Star Gems lead to shit like the Dark Falz outfits and EQ triggers being locked behind them.

>Had a huge minecraft house built into a cliff
>Relied entirely on water elevators with boats to take you up
>A whole system of vertical boat elevators

>Update: Removed boats floating upwards quickly in water! Yay this will surely make the players happy

What game's HASN'T Hi-Rez run into the fucking ground?

The Freezone update for Trackmania United/Nations Forever. I have United, so I didn't get the "sit a game out every 5th round" or whatever bullshit, but that shit killed the community and made it impossible for the not-as-popular servers to ever get players again due to how the "planets for higher server list placement" bullshit worked.

Yes, several full servers.