BioShock – Original vs. Remaster on PC Graphics Comparison

Chinked.

youtube.com/watch?v=EzMlk8Fpwvk

Other urls found in this thread:

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908933
geekspodcast.com/geekpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/no-gods-or-kings.jpg
rockpapershotgun.com/images/16/sep/bs3l.jpg
engadget.com/2010/11/03/bioshock-infinite-is-to-unreal-engine-3-as-bioshock-was-to-unrea/
unrealengine.com/showcase/bioshock/
youtube.com/watch?v=HQTBKK_xwgo
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_Remastered#Avoid_settings_resetting_when_game_crashes
gamespot.com/articles/bioshock-the-collection-blocks-streaming-2k-doesnt/1100-6443615/
youtube.com/watch?v=XTysmqulFwI
youtube.com/watch?v=H4OOZzHxBO0
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NoKsVmyzM
steamcommunity.com/games/409710/announcements/detail/954024807103855871
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Back in my times water was wet.

>remaster mysteriously runs 100fps worse
That's current gen in a nutshell

>original Bioshock 1 is around 6 gb
>this """""""""""""""""""""""""""""remaster"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" is 20 gb

JUST

>That graphics options comparison at the end

>>>>>>>>>>>>remaster

Jesus that video. The literally just added some plants and "wind" indoors. Then they removed lots of textures and atmospheric lighting for a flatter and somehow more outdated looking game.

>trykk på esc for å avslutte fullskjerm

¿que?

whoever was in charge of the remaster needs to get canned

Original looks better. Floor tiles look like they have proper bumb mapping

some parts of the original look better and some parts of the remaster look better. a remaster should be 100% better... whats the point if the original still looks better in some ways?

Was this done by the same people who remade the Arkham games?

norwegian screenshot, mein amigo

Well at least you still retain the original versions

All these remasters. Is gaming dying? Where are all the good and original IPs?

>it's another 'neo-Cred Forums circlejerks itself a black hole' episode
The remaster looks great, calm the fuck down you niggers

How do yo fuck up the shadows like that? What causes the shadow to just get cut off like that and why isn't it present in the original?
This is the kind of thing people should never support.

>How can we make money for barely any effort?
>Lets do a remaster!
>We'll just make minor changes to the textures maybe some of the models and walla, we have another release to make us money!

How does the public respond?
>OMG, thanks "insert company name here", you really care about your fans to let us buy the same game we loved again, when you could have instead worked on a new title!
Gamers are chumps and are solely responsible for all the bullshit in the industry, companies will only do what they can get away with, if people put their foot down and stopped buying crap, companies would stop making crap.

Is this what the cinematic mod is to Half-Life 2?
>DUDE FERNS LMAO

>those video options
wat

Remaster was free for owners of the original

Does the pc remaster of a second bioshock at least have a quick access menu?

>neo Cred Forums hating remasters
If anything neo Cred Forums, gaf and reddit love this kind of shit, old Cred Forums would have mocked the shit out of remasters.
Nice try faggot, trying to flip reality on it's head.
Including the console versions?

Does the original BioShock still shit itself on modern computers?

Fuck console users.

>neo-Cred Forums loves this kind of shit
>posting in a thread exclusively dedicated to 'LOL HOW COULD THEY FUCK THIS UP SO BAD'
You can see the fault in your logic there, right buddy?

Hey thats pretty cool!
Too bad the original has way better atmosphere :/ The textures are hit or miss, wtf?

they fucked up the lighting real bad

Please stop posting as if you were still on Reddit

That's the thing though, it's meant for console users, remasters don't work on PC where, increased resolution, framerates alone offer half the reason remasters exist, now add mods, specially texture mods and it would be ridiculous to try to resell a remaster, a remake is another story though.
So every person that posts on Cred Forums is neo Cred Forums? Is that how the term is used? No, it describes a break from old Cred Forums behavior to the more recent Reddit style, that never understood old Cred Forums and often runs contrary to what would have been expected on this board on the past.

The lighting of the grass kills me

Holy fuck that looks awful
>the comparison where the remaster has no light reflection from the water on the fountain
They did add lighting to the big daddy's drill however.

>walla
What

Wonder what's up with all the remasters and "definitive editions" looking worse than the original versions?

The phong shading is just completely gone. That's some sloppy remastering.

quick cashgrab with minimal effort

Chinese devs

Is gaming dying? The worlds economy is dying you fag. Read about your world, and enjoy turning on your pc and faucet for water while you can.

He means voilà but he's a massive tard

>higher poly statue in echange for lighting that ruins grass and all objects in frame
Thanks guys. When will these inferior remasters stop existing?

>no reflection on the statue, looks dull not metallic
>grass self shadowing almost gone
>lighting stripped from some areas
>terrible banner textures
>worse AA

did they go out of their way to make it look worse?

I think it means something like "press escape to leave fullscreen mode" in norwegian.

Get the fuck out.

probably meant to type walls

Kids on the internet.

>The worlds economy is dying
What
Are you okay user?

I'm pretty sure 2k hired some interns to work on it who have never even seen a computer.

Why in the fuck is the remaster almost 4 times the file size?

Why redo them at all when you have access to uncompressed original assets?

All textures are made by artists in the highest quality possible and then compressed to meet performance goals.

Is "Remaster" just a fancy word for downgrade in this industry?

>they made the statues more detailed/higher poly
For fucks sake. They're supposed to evoke the monolithic aspect that statues have in real life, not be photorealistic. Its like they saw the original and thought the guys were just lazy or something.

no, pay us again

Yeah lets just pretend George Soros and other international bankers are not preparing for a financial collapse. Let me guess, you learned from the news about how an athlete would not stand for the pledge? There are plenty of things you missed in the news the past couple of weeks.

Seems like all the specular maps ate shit when they "remastered" the game. They probably just brought it to a different engine which doesn't know how to hand the game's visuals with very much accuracy.

So you're downloading a prettier intro cinematic and then a downgrade for the rest of the game?
Awesome.

>download sweet fx and it will look just like the original
whats the big deal

I bet they selectively render shadows for directed lights based on a frustum, and they changed the view angle for it for actors to be lower in an attempt to boost performance

Original is way better, actually feels unsettling.

New one is crisp and all but the lighting is fucked

No kidding. Besides the textures, the game's buggy as shit. I haven't left the medical pavilion yet because the game crashed twice on me. First when I was leaving it after finishing the whole level and a second time when I activated a recording while at the same time I was looking in a desk.

I doubt the world will die any time soon

Other way around mate, it's remasters that overuse faux-lighting and filtering techniques

Download sweetfx for the original and you'll have all the "iprovements" of the remaster with none of the downsides.

What the fuck, why does the original look so much better?

The power of Unreal Engine 2.5!

If it makes everyone feel better, Bioshock Infinite is still the same shit game it was before.

My laptop runs it pretty well.

I liked Infinite.

I was getting 300 FPS.

Maybe you should save up some money and upgrade your shit PC.

>remaster looks worse
>can't buy the original on steam anymore
>in order to play the original have to resort to pirating or playing the last gen console version
Why do developers completely try to remove older versions from steam. Allow us to purchase what version we want to play

>laptop
I'm pretty sure he specified modern computers

Why are you acting like such a cunt? The video shows the huge drop in fps and all you have to say is "upgrade your pc"? Idiot.

>play remaster
>first thing I do is adjust brightness to give it a darker look
>doesn't fucking for some reason
>besides that game works ok just a few fps drops here and there
>after little sister encounter where big daddy smashes the dudes head against window game crashes
>uninstall game install FEAR instead play that for the night
Damn FEAR literally looks like a modern game maybe the game characters are a bit plastic but everything else looks fucking amazing and it runs great too.

what the fuck is going on between 3.34 and 3.56

How can they make it that much worse when they are remastering it? Surely, they would have to literally re-do the whole fucking engine to make it that much worse

I dont even. So glad I wasnt even considering buying this heap of shit

no you didn't

Can't you buy cd keys?

100 fps less.

He means windows 10 where it didn't work on

But there's video proof that it doesn't. It's okay to call a spade a spade, it doesn't discredit bioshock as a game at all.

those are finite. After they are all used up you will be unable to buy it in the future

Cause its obvious the video is misleading. Do you not own Bioshock? Because everyone got the free upgrade on Steam.

Oh wait, you're just another faggot on Cred Forums complaining about a game you don't own then.

>it's another cherrypicking screenshots episode
you niggers should actually play it, it's miles better looking.

Lighting sometimes looks worse than the original, which is a pretty big deal.

I actually don't have a lot problems with this remake. Seems to work fine , the visuals are barley upgraded though and the survival difficulty is eaiser then hard

So prepare yourself as well, stop relying on fiat money.
The world's economy will be just fine, if governments and corporations want to shit the bed, tell them to fuck off.

I do have the games and played the remaster, that doesn't have to do with anything and you're still a huge faggot defending the remaster for no reason. If it looks worse it shouldn't perform worse.

except you don't have the higher polygon environments

You get the original when you buy the remaster. You can stop posting anytime.

>If it looks worse it shouldn't perform worse.
But that's a lie and the only thing I defended was that I was getting over 300 fps.

You then pointed to the video rather than your own experience of playing the game. So what FPS did you get while playing?

They waste all the extra polygons on shit nobody looked at anyway though.

>video shows the exact same place and the difference in fps

>IT'S MISLEADING OK?

>Got the DRM free version of Bioshock when it was on Humble Bundle that one time

well you're right it does. Doesn't excuse SE and whoever owns the darksiders license since they did just that. I worry that it will be an increased trend

>the entitled gamer strikes again

Colour me fucking suprised...

>Everyone uses the same specs, therefor this video is 100% accurate

ebin logic

>Got a free copy of Bioshock for running the Gamefly pc client beta one time, and 2k support was kind enough to give me a steam key for it as well

>its another remake that fucks up the lighting
Console gaming was a mistake.

is this guy dead yet?

I generally don't like the overuse of wet surfaces and light reflexions but in Bioshock it actually made sense and also made the whole thing more immersive.

Why did they get rid of that?

No, he's having another episode right now though.

So this..............................

Is the power.................................

Of PS4.............................................

Wow.....................

new engine can't replicate what they did before

The only way I could ever watch that retard's videos is if I sped up the video 2x. Otherwise it's painful to hear him talk. I can't believe that dumb idiot's still around.

I thought he was homeless? How is he still uploading shit?

Remasters often have fucked up lighting because they use newer and more "accurate" engines. It's always a wreck because physically-based lighting can't just be slapped into an old game.

No I know the original word, but chose instead a more low brow version for emphasis on how I feel about remasters and the companies that make them.

>get standard will all DLC
>friend tells me the remaster has the DLC and HD textures
>NOPE, the standard one has those too
Silly remasters why would I need it for a game this recent?

Has the AI been dumbed down as well? I'm about halfway through the game and no enemies have used hacked health terminals at all.

user. Come on now.

Congratulations for having pleb tastes.

Is the implication here that the original looks better? One of those looks more realistic, and it's not the one with the perfect visibility in a heavy rainstorm.

standard hd textures are actually better too

Unless it updates an old game and completely changes it like Halo 2 to H2A or Resident Evil HD it aint no remaster, it's just a cash grab, get cucked

there's a lot of unnecessary change
and some retexturing and lighting looks better
one step forward
one backwards
nothin new under the sun

You don't have to believe me but there is a reason it was in the greentext as if I were an employee in the company.
Same thing with the casual gamer quote at the end, I would never say OMG but used it for emphasis also or are you going to accuse me of actually speaking like that too?

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908933
forgot link

>Colour
off my board

It's just an awful lot of effort on your part to explain how you were being retarded on purpose, is all.

Neither is perfect. The specular needed a bit of a tone down from the original in my opinion but nothing as extreme as in the new one.

Other than the specular everything else seems like an improvement.

>wet concrete no longer looks wet
>added kelp and starfish to exterior shots
>some banners wave slightly
I'll pass.

Stalker mods do a better job at updating the looks and atmosphere than this "remaster",

What a shame.

Here's another comparison with a peculiar shot, original and remaster
geekspodcast.com/geekpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/no-gods-or-kings.jpg
rockpapershotgun.com/images/16/sep/bs3l.jpg

Is easy to see the texture change, but going from Unreal Engine 2.5 (or 3? Is hard to say which
engadget.com/2010/11/03/bioshock-infinite-is-to-unreal-engine-3-as-bioshock-was-to-unrea/

unrealengine.com/showcase/bioshock/
) it feels they could have done more after 9 years, maybe something like this

youtube.com/watch?v=HQTBKK_xwgo

hows that tinfoil hat fit

That new textures and models are great.
Aside from that, they added motion to objects that should have been static (banners, plants) and dimmed the brightness of the neon signs (have you ever seen a neon sign in real life?)
It's been said to death at this point but the new graphics options are also fucking ridiculous. Games are being dumbed down.

Looks like a shameless cashgrab to me, the originals still look great, but I suppose this is what stupids think.

>REMASTER
>Looks either about the same, MUCH worse or better in meaningless places
>Pretty much always fucks up texture and scene cohesion

I hope no one has mentioned BATMAN REMASTER yet.

Why do companies even do this?

Cherry picked screenshots. With a few exceptions the remaster looks much better.

quick easy cash grab

You guys ready for PS4 Pro remasters?

What shit resolution are you playing on, I'm getting 50-70 fps on 4k with a 1080 and an i7

What's the point of remastering a game like Bioshock that, despite having mediocre models and textures, still looks good thanks to good art direction? That would be like remastering Silent Hill 3.

Is it really?

Who is it directed at?

Those who haven't played it will say "that shit is old news, who cares, infinity was better".
Those who already played it won't see any significant difference and have no reason to PAY for it again.

They're free on pc

Then it's not "cashgrab".

>Antialiasing: ON

I didnt saw any antialiasing options in the original screen either (and that menu was ugly as fuck) but jesus, that total lack of options.

Also, what was up with that cut shadow in the lady with the baby? That shadow is rather important with how much focus it has in that scene.

omg this HD Remake looks so much better!

Never played the Bioshock 2 DLC before but it's pretty fucking good
The level design is borderline metroidvania and the story was better then the main game. Why wasent this this main story ?

>That would be like remastering Silent Hill 3.

user...

Money.

How is the BS2 remaster? I never played the DLC

Shit

How long until we get a DOSBox equivalent for Windows XP / 7 games? I've been reading how so many games simply don't work on Windows 10.

I do appreciate the devs who are "remastering" them to work on Windows10, but some DOSBox solution would be better.

To make it so you can't buy the original for 5$ anymore.
Instead you have to buy the remastered for 20$ which also includes the original.

complete ass
looks the same
runs worse

Fucking Indians

I think there would be zero complaints from the fans of these games if they just did what the Halo Anniversaries did. Give the players an option to have the old or remastered graphics. All the complaints would have no merit as the remastered are optional as people can have the game as it was if they don't like them.

Complains are about the bugs not fixed from the original release and the constant crashing that deletes your save data.

I got 1 and 2 during the summer sale because I heard you got the remasters for free. I've never played either of them, so for a first time playthough should I do the originals or the remasters?

That part does look much worse in the remaster, but the rest looks better. Plus i have to admit i really like the overly shiny vaseline smeared surfaces.

The originals are more playable.

What the fuck. How could they fuck up this badly?

There's clearly more stuff being rendered, idioit.

Why not just run a VM?

I'm playing the remake without ever playing the original. I refuse to play the original because I'd rather play the most current version.

>remaster has kelp everywhere

All I can think of is fakefactory

Anti-aliasing in 90% of games is just FXAA these days. Of course it's just "on/off". MSAA is a ton of work to implement in modern game engines and so is only really done by big studios, and SMAA offers marginal improvements.

Higher resolution textures?

>perfect visibility

There's a fuzzy grey filter over it that ironically makes the city's skyline more visible despite it being a dark stormy night.

>removed old version from sale on steam
>leave you with a janky '''''''''''''''''HD'''''''''''''''''' remaster

Is there an fps lock on the originals?

>SMAA offers marginal improvements
Check your eyes, it's way better than FXAA.

What the fuck, other than texture literally everything looks worse. The water, shadows and reflections look laughably bad compared to the original.

This is fucking unbelievable. It just further demonstrates how far video games have stagnated graphically.

>"look mama, i made a doo-doo post!"

>inb4 "b-but it's $20! b-but you're still buying the remaster!"

Bioshock was $20 before the remaster came out, they'd still be selling it at the price if they hadn't remastered.

Why the fuck do they do this

Those got delayed indefinitely due to the bad reception of the trailer

It wasn't like that until recently. You could only buy the remastered version when it came out.

kys yourself

texture looks awful also.

That's bullshit. I checked the steam page as soon as it came out to see the price and I'm certain it contained both then.

lmao why

Bioshock key is $3

What was the steam price before the remaster came out, when you could just buy the old version?

Right looks better

SteamDB says the lowest price ever was $3.99 at 80% off, so $20.

I'm pretty sure it was anyway because I remember looking at Bioshock 2 and seeing that was $20.

Fair enough

I think the main difference will be sales though. Hardly anyone will have bought this outside of sales, when it dropped to 75% off pretty regularly. I doubt the remasters will immediately go 75% at Xmas

Yeah, it was $20.

I do agree, I bet most people that wanted to play Bioshock already have and the only real money they're gonna be getting out of this is from the console-folk that didn't get free upgrades.

That's basically the only part of the game that does look better. Rapture (on the outside) should be overgrown with seaweed and kelp, it's an underwater city plunged into chaos for fuck's sake. Nobody is gonna bother with cleaning up all the seaweed outside.

Everything else looks like an actual downgrade though.

Glad I asked in that thread last night before buying. I'm happy with my Ultimate Rapture edition. Just bought it earlier today. Playing the first game again first before going on to 2.

I love how people are suddenly pining for that Unreal engine "everything is made of plastic" look suddenly.

>throw in a bunch of random jellyfish

Name one thing not improved by adding jellyfish.

>Antialiasing
>On/Off

I mean, it's better than whatever the "remastered" look is supposed to be.

Not all anti-aliasing options scale, and MSAA is not a feasible alternative with deferred rendering because the framebuffers become massive. That's why people use FXAA, which indeed can only be on or off.

Yet another modern game featuring uncompressed multilanguage audio and cutscenes

That's one hell of a climb for starfish

The left scene has glaring contrast between light and dark that makes the world feel eerie and desolate. The right scene obviously has more detail but lacks any feeling because the lighting is washed out and flat. You could say the left scene represents a true artistic depiction while the right is amateur and soulless.

Isn't the whole point of this fucking scene that we see Bruce's face in his glasses?

Ice cream

>2007
>no native MSAA
>rename .exe to Oblivion
>instant MSAA and SSAA too if you actually own a card capable of doing so in 2007

>Opinion.jpg
>Vidya
>True artistic depiction

>mfw I had bioshock downloaded on a HDD for future use
>mfw deleted it because "remaster"
>remaster results to be kike shit
FUCK

A bath

It's just 6 GB to redownload bro

Still I like that 2K isn't wiping the original versions of the games off of steam like Gearbox with their Bazinga edition of Duke Nukem 3D

I can't wait for the shit storm over Skyrim "remaster"

It's the same situation as Douk, you can't buy the old versions of the games any more but if you already owned them you can still download them.

It looks dumb, ruins some of the mystique of rapture. It's meat to be too deep for any kind of kelp or seaweed to grow. Now it feels like it's just below the ocean surface.

oh right, I forgot it was just 6 Gb.
I'm used to modern shit being like 50Gbs always.

Graphix whoring was a mistake.

It's says both

It's that time once again for the episode of...

Hey guy.. It's only 20 bucks.

THE MISSING REFLECTIONS

DUN DUN DUN

I dont know....

At least the weapon models and textures are a big improvement.

>FOV controls
>On/Off

>I'm getting 50-70 fps on 4k
>In fucking Bioshock Remaster
>On a 1080
Fuck me that's awful.
The original Bioshock gets better framerates than that at 4k on a fucking HD 7870.

>implying

Sander Cohen says...

>Anti-aliasing in 90% of games is just FXAA these days.
No, not really.
More like 40%, and usually just the shitty Jap cashgrabs.

"I WANT TO HAVE DETAILED CURTAIN TEXTURES, IT'S MY FUCKING CURSE"

>Water caustics completely removed
HOW DO FORGET A FUCKING STAPLE SHADER OF AN UNDERWATER GAME

A SHADER THAT'S BEEN AROUND SINCE 2004 AS A "WOAH LOOK AT THESE SICK GRAPHICS BRUH"

SERIOUSLY HOW DO YOU FUCK UP THIS BADLY?

I THOUGHT THE "REMASTERS ARE WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL" MEME WAS JUST A MEME.

Little Sisters now have fully rendered vaginas.

So did they bother giving Tennenbaum/Langford/Steinman/Atlas actual character models or are they still just slightly cleaned up splicers

Because if not then what's the fucking point

Man, there sure are alot of ferns around

Am I bleeding, Jack?

this is just depressing

MAMMY!!!

game console systems
PS4 and Bone

All those remasters and port from last year made a killing.
Those stealth launch Activision games this summer sold well.

A lot of stupid and/or poor fags are out there that never owned a strong enough PC or 7th gen system for these titles.

I think there is some lighting shenanigans when porting Unreal Engine games

I mean both Arkham and Bioshock had to be ported to Unreal 3 or 4 right? Because the old games wouldn't be able to be supported on new consoles or something?

Back to Cred Forums with you

That's the thing, lighting is incredibly important when it comes to making games look good so this remaster looks really lukewarm at times.

If developers started to sacrifice polycount for sharper textures and improved lighting, if that's possible, we would get better looking games.

the point is to milk current gen consoles

>Who is it directed at?
same masses that buy 10 year old films because they heard nothing but good things about it.

>That fog
Disgusting

There is a lot unnecessary changes. Fire effect looks fucking bad.

If I didn't carrrreeeeee

>4:15

Why do the flags move in the remaster?

>doesn't know the hottest new memes

Fuck off leaf

More than words can sayyyyy

If I didn't carrreeeee

It's like I'm really playing Bioshock 2 at launch again

Would I feel this wayyyy?

Why do they keep doing this? Every single "HD remaster" is worse than the original.

Show me HD Eleanor or I don't care

Because they know that normal people out there will buy this stuff without really noticing if it looks better or not. They see remaster and most people are going to assume it has to be better because they wouldn't lie right?

Visions of Dark Souls 2

That's why Unreal Engine sucks cock

Haven't reached that part of the game yet

But they're going out of their way to make them worse. They could just change nothing and it would be an improvement.

like your ass pain.

Instead of adding better geometry and water effects we just get more shitty decorators

I feel bad for anybody who bought this

Sorry, so when you become a bid daddy in bioshock 1, why do they fuck with your vocal chords? Can you just never talk normally after that? How did that nigga get out of his suit for all the lewd handholding at the end? What the shit to regular big daddies look like under the mask if Jack was allowed to grow old topside and die in a hospital?

it's been a really long time since I've played pls no bully

are you fucking kidding me

niggas got a limp hand

Where?

How does this shit keep happening? Making a game look, perform, and play better years after it came out should be the easiest thing in the world, but they keep being worse. How do you fuck up something so simple?

No. There's a lot of water reflections missing. Particularly in Arcadia

I'm pretty sure its confirmed that the shit that wrecks his vocal chords is irreversible but I guess they just sort of conveniently ignored that for the purposes of the good ending. Unless he really did just live his life making whale noises.

Either way that entire section was retarded because Big Daddies are canonically horrifying fleshy messes inside of those suits and Jack just kinda hops into a suit and calls it a day, as if he'd even be able to fit. I get that he was buff as fuck from being a test tube baby but that's still a stretch.

>If developers started to sacrifice polycount for sharper textures and improved lighting, if that's possible, we would get better looking games.

Dice does this. BF3, BF4 and Battlefront were all super low poly, but they used really high res textures and good shaders + lighting.

It's a meme on /ck/. He's probably seen it posted on Cred Forums before.

There are so many remasters this gen because the reality is, last generation games still look good enough that people don't mind playing them. It's not like a huge graphical jump like going from PS1 to xbox. This combined with the most popular console not supporting backwards compatibility with last gen games equals devs bumping the resolution up to 1080p from last gen 720p and other minor shit and reselling the game at $60 because people will by it for the bump in resolution and ability to play it on their new console.

Thank consoles for this.

Also I guarantee there was somebody sitting in a boardroom somewhere and brought up the idea of "unifying the Bioshock design language".

Both B1 and B2 feel like somebody took that format painter tool from Microsoft Word and just slathered the Remasters with Bioshock Infinite paint.

God I hate this fucking industry.

I'm surprised they even remastered Bioshock 2 since Ken Levine seems pretty set on pretending it never happened.

Now I know why they gave it away free on steam if you already had the games

>Big Daddies are canonically horrifying fleshy messes inside of those suits
See I had a feeling that was the case. I always thought it was kinda stupid that they make you one because reasons. Never really made sense to me

>tfw not enough VRAM so whenever I move 2ft the game freezes to load in the massive textures

So what does the remaster actually fix?

>Narrow FOV
>weird 15fps animations
>borked physics

Anything else?

Oh, I didn't know that. Nor did I expect to still be in this fucking thread 4 hours after the fact. Where does the time go. I could have been playing videogames

Why do pcfats always have to shit on everything?

God damn shut the fuck up already, this is why devs hate you.

It's happening to all mediums of entertainment, friendo.

Metal Gear Solid V did this as well

Because they created more problems in the 1 remaster than they solved.

I know you didn't know, but you shouldn't argue in bad faith.

Remasters, ideally, remaster. What exactly are you seeing in these shots that have been "remastered"?

Its not even that well done, youre arms are still the same, so in reality you look like some shmuck in a sweater with a rosie big daddy helmit on his head

It's a bug with forcing AA or AF in the driver, I had it way worse and most shadows didn't even showed up.

Set everything to "application controlled" for Bio1 and the shadows are normal again.

How else are you supposed to argue

FOV is still narrow, just less so. And no, pretty much all the original bugs are still there. It's the same game with some slightly higher resolution textures dropped on it.

F.E.A.R is awesome.

>game crashed once or twice
>beat Cohen's area
>go to the next area and assemble the bomb
>game crashes
>somehow lose 2 hours of progress
Well, not playing that for a week or two.

it's easy money because suckers will pay for the lack of backwards compatibility the consoles have

Last generation also had collections from PS2 and whatnot, don't forget that. They've just gotten more daring with their shit, now they'll resell a 2 year old game or sometimes 1 year old game again with a remaster. Before they'd sell like 3 games in a collection of games from previous generations.

Apparently there's no 5.1 setting in game and you have to fuck with ini files to get it to work. How the fuck did that happen? I can only think of that as a direct port, the console versions due audio setting via console settings, so there's no in game option for it.

This is a terrible oversight and shows how lazy this release is.

why don't the remaster games that actually need it? MGS1 is unplayable.

sex

If you're under 18 it is

The kike is just upset it ended up being lightyears better than Infinite.

And to be fair, Bio 1 is 9 years old. Bio2 built on the same engine so it didn't look much better.

Basically any console cucks that are buying this are saying that resolution and FPS matter. These are the same damn games just repackaged at 1080p60 with better physics instead of 720p30 with 15FPS physics.

I find it hard to believe they moved all the game assets over to Unreal Engine 3 and somehow forgot 5.1 support. That's ridiculous.

Bioshock is pretty unplayable with all the fucked up bugs and glitches in the original release. Bioshock could use a real remaster that actually fixes its problems but they gave us a texture back instead.

MGS1 already has a remake and no it isn't unplayable anyway.

he doesn't get a say in it, his bosses at 2K do

they already butchered Irrational, remember?

ha!

post yfw the remaster bubble is finally bursting

It's very simple, money. People of the old generation never got into it and so maybe they will now.

As for why does it look worse usually? Newer people in the company feel like they could touch things up by doing X slightly different, but never respecting the original design, whether it be game or art. The lighting is the one that gets to me the most. It's downright awful

>MGS1 is unplayable.

>Neo Konami tries to remake MGS1 (w/o Kojima of course)
>They pull all MGS2 assets and textures into the Fox engine
>redo everything with MGS5 physics and AI
>game ends up being easy as fuck
>sells 5M copies to underageb&s

Why did they change the ceiling texture?

>fuck up the lighting everywhere
>in exchange we get better textures on SOME objects

Somebody needs to tell the fucks doing all these remasters to knock it off. I don't care if you remaster shit from the PS2 era or what the fuck ever, but this is from LAST GENERATION. Nobody fucking asked for this.

no it isn't

There will always be a market for this shit since there are always kids getting into vidya with the latest console generation, and being the shallow shits that they are, they would want to play all the good old games with "better" graphics

You think that's bad? Have you seen battlezone redux? They changed nothing at all. Not even the options menu or fixed any bugs. By far the worst "remaster" I've seen.

neo-Cred Forums are the kids with PS4s who are playing bioshock infinite at 60fps for the first time and still dont know it's hot garbage

Oh, had this one happen to me.

That one doesn't look half bad actually. If the rest of the remaster preserved that aesthetic it would be okay desu

I don't understand last gen remasters, all it needed was a port like Dead Rising. Every PS2 game was simply ported it seems, the remaster part is probably the 4:3 to 16:9, not much is also done for that next gen look but for a few game. The the Zelda HD and FFX games Resident Evil HD redid the models and backgrounds pretty well, so those are something. But still something like Silent Hill is a huge mess.

I wouldn't mind remaster jewery if they were even slight improvements instead of downgrades. I really wanted to get the vita version of FFX but I'm not paying money for a version that looks and sounds shittier than the original.

Why should we listen to your shit opinion, user?

Because that what stupids thinks ,

Holy shit lol, look at 2:17, look at the statue in the water, the original has water reflection, the ((remastered)) Does not even any any water reflection.

This is current gen.

it's money because those current gen consoles don't have a lot of great games yet, and porting 7th gen games isn't that hard/expensive since they share the architecture with PC, what else is there to understand

On top of this, 3:34, fuckers cant even get shadows right anymore

If I upgrade do I lose my old copy of original bioshock?

Well yeah, obviously money. Porting a Bioshock collection would have sold even without it needing a remaster.

You get both on Steam if you buy either one.

I tried the remaster for bioshock 2 the other day.

I don't even know where to begin.

if you have the original on steam, you get the remastered version as an extra for free. it should be in your library right now

I still don't get why the flags move as if there is a lot of wind at 4:15 in the video for the remaster.

Overall this remaster is so awful.

Is it me or does Bioshock 2 have audio problems? Every so often it seems like the sound effects get really muted for no reason. Also had slow texture loading.

Her mask and outfit changed

BIG LIST OF BIOSHOCK 1 REMASTER DIFFERENCES

-Areas in general are far brighter than they used to be. One exception is a room with dead Little Sisters in Olympus Heights which is now completely dark
-Textures have been changed in most areas and are definitely of a higher resolution. The problem is many of them don't have that dirty look the original possesses. This is very apparent in the area near Suchong's clinic
-Audio logs and tranmissions are near of a higher quality and easier to understand
-Animations play at 60 FPS instead of 30 but still dip sometimes
-The game can crash when saving, picking up tonics or just walking around in general
-There is an enhanced FOV option
-The special challenges DLC, museum level, ability to turn off vita chambers, DLC plasmids and survivor difficulty are now all in the game. A new addition is that of developer commentary but you have to find the special reels hidden in each level
-The cost of DLC plasmids has been increased
-There is a new title screen which displays the crashed plane in adddition to the lighthouse
-Messages written in blood are easier to read
-Health, eve and ammo bars scale properly with your resolution
-Environmental audio doesn't seem as strong
-All machines in the game highlight as you approach them and have a new look. The gene bank is far brighter
-When you pick up your weapons after defeating Peachy you receive all of your ammo back but it changes the position of your pistol from slot 2 to 1 so the wrench and pistol change position
-Level of detail problems still persist and are actually easier to notice
-The opening level where you descend to Rapture now has kelp, jellyfish and other crustaceans
-Many water reflections are absent in different areas. This is particularly noticeable in Arcadia
-There are new sound bugs which cause the audio during the last second to sometimes repeat three times

Audio's been fine for me, but I'm getting frequent crashes. Kind of pain since the only autosaves are at the start of every chapter.

Dickin'

-The bug where you could inject an EVE hypo while suspending an object with telekinesis has been fixed
-There are new weapon and character models
-Windows have been updated to look better
-The effect when looking through windows to the rest of the city is now clearer
-There are a couple of artifact issues in Fort Frolic and outside the tavern in Neptune's Bounty
-There are slightly better looking effects for plasmids
-The opening cutscene has been changed to have less shadows obscuring the spoiler
-The rocket turrets rockets appear to finally seek heat properly
-The Little Sister being escorted on Proving Grounds runs much faster. The problem is she now runs so fast that the player gets left behind in areas with water
-The Big Daddy helmet effect persists throughout Proving Grounds but disappears for the final level (previously it disappeared at the start of Proving Grounds)
-Fontaine stays in his electicity form upon being defeated instead of his neutral form
-Spider splicers can get stuck on ceilings when they die (someone tells me this is not new but I haven't seen it in many playthroughs of Bioshock)

>ability to turn off vita chambers
Couldn't you do that already in Bioshock? I played it with vita chambers off

I heard the scene where you kill andrew ryan has a new and extended animation, is that true

It eventually came to PC but was on consoles only initially

Nope. It looked pretty much the same to me

His corpse looks like fucking garbage now

Holy shit that's just begging to be made into a reaction image

Ahh this was a problem with Bioshock 2 that is quite common. If too many sounds are playing at once the game just cuts them all and mutes them

I haven't encountered this problem in the remaster yet

Slow texture loading is a result of a garbage engine

does the original bioshock have "expanded" fov?

No. You always had to suffer console FOV

Comparsion to 1

>What causes the shadow to just get cut off like that
Well obviously it's where a polygon ends
Hilarious nonetheless

>If developers started to sacrifice polycount for sharper textures and improved lighting, if that's possible, we would get better looking games.

Kind of, the main issue is that textures, polys and shaders (lighting) are all processed in parallel on graphics cards now on specific pipelines. Meaning that processing power for textures can't really be 100% diverted to shaders, for example.

Having said that, as your gif illustrates there has been more than enough graphic power around for over a decade already to actually make games graphically immersive.

it's 2 patched in some way? I remember losing my save files twice and I didn't feel to play it again

Is Bioshock 2 missing this much stuff aswell?

>Dead Rising release is beating profit totals (not units, actual profits) of the first two games original launches
>Activision's stealth relaunches made over a million each
>thinking it's even close to over.

I really do not miss the "everything in plastic wrap or everything is wet clay" look of UE3.

I haven't fully completed 2's remaster yet but it seems very similar to the original. No crashes or audio mutes yet

It should be noted that Bioshock 2 multiplayer does not exist in the remaster so that seems to be the only thing missing

DELET THIS

>uncharted4.txt

And here I thought I was the only one.

>Listening to dev commentary
>Levine was apparently super eager to go back and retcon bioshock lore to promote his daughter-fu as being the driving force behind everything
>guy next to him looks like he's slowly being consumed by pain as Levine talks

Bioshock runs UE2.5, infinite is the only one to run UE3.

>muh wet concrete

Wet concrete isn't that fucking shiny. Go outside, pour some water on the sidewalk. It gets darker when wet. It doesn't look like it has a layer of ice on it.

>muh grass

The old grass doesn't have SSS. That's why it was high contrast and the back of the blades were black. Grass lets some light through to the backside.

>Muh statue

Again, it's bronze that hasn't been polished for a while due to Rapture falling into disrepair. It's not supposed to be shiny. It's in a damp environment. Bronze loses its luster when exposed to salty, moist air.

>Muh fire

The old fire didn't cast much light on the smoke. The new one does. It's a more physically accurate particle simulation.

>Muh lighting

The old version didn't simulate much GI or radiance. It couldn't. There's a design reason why rapture is a dim, dark place. It works for the technology of the time. But since then we can now do GI and color bleeding pretty cheap so that's why there's less full dark shadows. It's still moody lighting.

Is there a solution for settings not saving? After Bio1 Remaster crashed and I started it up again my difficulty and vita chamber settings reset to default.

I wonder if Levine knows Bioshock 2 did everything he wanted to do re: messianic daughterfu but first and like, actually decent.

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_Remastered#Avoid_settings_resetting_when_game_crashes

so my game crashes everytime i try to manually save so I was using auto saves, then it crashed when I hit the door after I became a big daddy and I lost about 45 minutes worth of progress. Should I even try and recover?

Eh, if you haven't completed the game, press on

If this isn't your first rapture rodeo, just shut it off. The game is pretty much done already, and there is nothing in the final worth much

samefag

>Activision's stealth relaunches

what did they relaunch?

I must have missed something

Yeah, I remember the boss fight at the end, and I remember the good ending, which is what I wouldve gotten this time around too so I might just go onto 2, I liked that one more desu. Also how was that rapture dlc for infinite? I played the base game, but it kinda stretched on a little too long so I barely started the dlc then I left for basic and lost interest in picking it back up

so they didn't do anything to update or fix Infinite?

What about Unreal Engine games' textures? They all look muddy. I enjoy clean looking textures.

Like 99% of Unreal Engine games have muddy looking textures, and the ones that don't have them, such as Mirror's Edge, use a modified UE3.

I prefer the clean textures look of Source engine games, or Cryengine. I think Frostbyte engine has some sharp textures too.

Are fonts not showing up for anyone else when on the sav screen?

then it would be called a remake not a "remaster"

>desu
holy shit ive never had that happen to me before

Transformers FoC and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2

Activision did no advertisements or announcements they just released them on 8th gen systems and shamelessly admitted they are just testing the market.
They both did really well on PS4.

It's the way UE scales LoD and streams textures into memory

>Also how was that rapture dlc for infinite
No idea, mate. I couldn't bring myself to play the DLCs after my grave disappointment with the main game.

I've heard the DLCs are good, however - if you liked infinite

Jackie chan

Interesting.

Man this industry is fucked.

Except Bioshock 1 and 2 were made for consoles in the first place, a generation ago. There's no reason why a remaster on a modern engine on better hardware should remove effects and be inferior to the original unless the new engine made them that much more demanding.

It's sheer incompetence on the part of the developers/porters.

Shit I get this for free anyway on Steam, but I still probably won't play it.

it's becoming more like the film and music industry where a rerelease of a15 year old music/film can sell just as well as a major year blockbuster
Every console generation has more owner then the last and 8th gen combined has over a quarter of the US market which is massive

Hey thanks user. Will give that a try.

I don't have the file it wants me to delete at all, and hilariously I do have a file called DoNotDelete.ini that is fucking empty.

>mouse acceleration bug
Still there
>multiple crashes
Original crashes less often
>14 gigs larger
Texture quality is marginally better, lighting effects are missing in a huge majority of the game, also a lot of awkward mismatching textures and joins now
>physics cap improved
Probably not even programmed, just a side effect of the better engine

Overall 1/10 no effort detected, crashed so many times I didnt even make it halfway.

why does my screen shut down when the game loads and locks my pc up?

more like why does increasing the volume via my keyboard 1 click open all the games menus 1000 times and crash the game.

This game has bugs that dont even make sense

porting unreal 2.5 to 3 fucks shit up

I have a theory....I don't think devs were ready for x86 consoles.

I guarantee you that the codebase they used to update to the new engine was based on the already buggy original x86 PC release.

I agree with you that this was a lazy port, the jump from 720p30 to 1080p60 is nothing considering how powerful both the Xbone and PS4 are. And IMO the PS4 Pro and Scorpio are just going to make them even lazier.

They're throwing hardware at a software problem. I've seen this shit happen in the IT industry too and it never ends well.

They intentionally did this to disable broadcasting software. Go and try to stream it to Twitch or use Shadowplay, it's fucked up.

is that a fucking joke? How do I fix that then, I just want to play the fucking game

how the fuck does a 9 year old game look better than the remaster?

WHY even fucking bother?

what the fuck. is that really all there is?

Oh god the original resolutions for 7th gen were worse than I thought

PS3
Bioshock = 680p (no AA, blur filter pre-patch)
Bioshock 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bioshock Infinite = 1152x640 (FXAA)

Bioshock = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bioshock 2 = 1280x720 (edge blur filter)
Bioshock Infinite = 1152x720 (FXAA)

So the 360 was the only version with native HD. I could have sworn B1 had AA but I guess not.

gamespot.com/articles/bioshock-the-collection-blocks-streaming-2k-doesnt/1100-6443615/

I can only imagine that the PC version has some sort of fuckery to do this too. My copy does the same shit and eventually boots up. I have no idea how to fix it. I would try running it with a command through Steam to force it into a windowed mode and then change settings. Verify your game files first though.

Unreal 2 and 3 run like crap on new consoles

4 is built for Current Gen consoles since what 2012?

UE3 is like 12 years old at this point and UE2 (bioshocks engine) is around 15

Did they fix the subtitle issues?

Infinite was one of the ugliest UE3 games

you could tell how hard it got gimped from the first demo.

Its not that UE3 is a bad engine its just devs are completely lazy and consoles at the time didnt like UE3 especially with fancy realtime dyanmic lights so most of the ue3.x games where prebaked crap to claw back some fps.

Makes sense since the hardware was from 2005 after all

so why didn't they port it to UE4 and actually put some work in?

They already have all of the assets, it's like a fucking copy paste.

fucking bullshit glad I pirated this piece of shit.

Despite the remaster being supposedly worse, I can't not be annoyed that I missed out on a free copy because I wasn't able to activate my retail copy of the original BioShock on Steam. It was on a list of games which could supposedly be activated using their CD keys, but my BioShock key wasn't the right type or something.

I mean, everyone on Cred Forums says the remaster is awful, and I could just believe it and move on. But I'd rather form my own opinion than trust this shit hole.

UE3 always had problems with texture streaming.

Hell even UE4 still fucking does it even though we have 8gb gpu's and 16gb+ of ram
Because that would require some actual work hours and they couldnt be bothered.

Ive seen better fan ports than this.

this is 2 years old

youtube.com/watch?v=XTysmqulFwI

>efore his arrival in Rapture, the man who would become Subject Delta was a deep sea diver who conducted an investigation of the many ship and submarine disappearances in the Atlantic Ocean southwest of Iceland. While surveying the area in an advanced diving chamber, he accidentally discovered the hidden city.

Where are you getting that he's Jack from Bioshock one?

PS3 was a turd most of the time it got ports years late and they ran and looked like crap because POWA OF DA CELL and developers not knowing wtf to do.

Even the most accomplished devs Naughty dog at the time could barely get 720p 30fps out of it

...?

Jack becomes a Big Daddy at the end of BioShock 1. The protagonist of BioShock 2 is a different guy who also became a Big Daddy.

Are you replying to the right person, user? Because I never said Johnny Topside and Jack are the same person. In fact, that's fucking retarded. Johnny Topside got sold out by Stanley Poole and Sinclair and wound up in the protector program, Jack just kind of puts on a Big Daddy suit and rolls with it.

ah nice bait, almost had me for a sec

It's really not that awful, I appreciated the physics corrections and it plays well with a gamepad but I wouldn't pay over $5 if you've already played through the game before.

Just wait until it goes on sale or something.

Jesus christ I forgot about that. This video basically proves that it wasn't impossible to do lighting properly on the remaster.

x86 was supposed to make it EASIER for devs. Instead they just got LAZIER.

>bought Bioshock trilogy last steam sale
>been waiting since then for the remasters to play the games
>watch this
>mfw

...what. Doesn't he just ascend to the surface at the end? When does he put on a big daddy suit?

well at least it was free user

>Bioshock thread
>no CIRCUS OF VALUES posting

>x86 was supposed to make it EASIER for devs. Instead they just got LAZIER.
Welcome to 2013+4

Absolute retards

its why i dont really buy new games unless they are worth playing at launch.

Fucking sucks waiting months for devs to fix games if ever.

Fuck current gen consoles too.

All they got where a bunch of PC games remastered that run and looks significantly worse than a 2009 gaming pc could have done

Some of this shit looks worse.

How much of that 14GB is just the retarded uncompressed audio that is shitting up todays games?

Damn when was the last time you played this game? Fontaine throws a shit fit and breaks a door or something at one point after your mental conditioning gets undone and in order to follow him you have to basically turn into a big daddy, which involves fetching parts of the suit, spraying yourself with pheromones, and modulating your voice box. Then you get a little sister and have to basically do the world's shittiest slowest fetch quest while she leads you around to doors she has to open, but she gathers ADAM along the way.

Maybe they couldn't remove this from the texture or something.

>mfw PS4Pro and Scoprio trigger a new wave of 4K remasters
>they still look worse than their years old PC version

And run at a smooth cinematic 24fps

or 30fps at 1080p 8xASDGASD AA

8 or 9 years ago

Was thinking of picking it up when the remasters came out, but this thread has really turned me off of it.

Man, that takes me back.

Remember Damage 1.0?

Are you both retarded?

So i had bioshock2 sitting in my library for a while yet to play it, abs suddenly remastered is there too. I guess i got it free

But 2 remastered is getting shit on a lot, why?

The problem with modern remasters is that they focus too much on textures and modeling and then completely fuck up lighting, shaders, everything else.

dude ferns lmao xdddd

This is bait, right? RIGHT?

Why people always use the term IP? Unless you're a corporate whore don't.

Is there any reason to play the Bioshock remaster over the steamworks version?

It's good shorthand

oh my god you're right

that's what they're playing at with these fucking remasters

>sell retards consoles that can barely do 1080p
>HERE'S GAMES WE SOLD YOU THAT BARELY RAN AT 720P DURING A TIME WHEN EVERYBODY HAD 1080p TVs! It runs at 1080p now!
>people then buy 4K TVs as 1080p is getting kind of dated
>HERE'S ANOTHER CONSOLE THAT YOU CAN PLAY THAT GAME WE JUST SOLD YOU EXCEPT ON 4K!!! (except game only runs at 1440p at most on new hardware)

And the cycle repeats while PCfags sit in darkness laughing, then crying when their PC ports end up sucking ass despite having monster rigs.

We only really see the scam now that resolution and processing power are fairly consistent and the law of diminishing returns has kicked in. We're probably not ever going to be wowed by console performance like we were with 4th >5th gen and 5th>6th gen transitions.

The difference now is that they can now force these on us if we don't buy the games at launch. Look at that Duke Nukem game that got removed from Steam, now you have to buy some shitty compilation or something for $20 in order to get it.

That's the problem with Remasters in general though, it's mostly about hard numbers. upgrade to 1024x1024 textures from 512x512. Increase resolution to 1080p. Target framerate at 60FPS.

There's little to no creative input that goes along with it. They rarely ask themselves "does this feel true to the spirit of the original game?" while they make changes.

these are the biggest trolls ive ever seen

oh man i cant wait for the crysis remaster looking worse than the original

What the fuck I ordered this the earlier today. About to cancel my order

He does and he cries himself to sleep every night, knowing that the world considers Bioshock 2 better than Infinite by far

no u

>using the word troll unironically on present year Cred Forums
Newfag pls go.

How about the audio bug where sounds would just cut out when too many samples were active at once?

I really hoped that they had fixed that, although I think it only applies to Realtek onboard audio, which I unfortunately have.

Not that user but I haven't noticed any sound bugs beyond a splicer looping his lines one time. So far I've had two crashes (The first one requiring 30 minutes of work to redo because I didn't regularly save fuck my life) and a small graphical glitch outside the bar in Neptune's Bounty.

Anyone else softlocked at the beginning of the orphanage level? Atlas is stuck mid-cutscene so the first door wont open. Reloading the save and the area doesn't help. Thanks 2k, great port

But that's what makes me mad, Bioshock was made in UE3, I believe the remaster is UE4 but UE4 supports directly converting from UE3, EVERYTHING.

So they had to make the conscious decision to remove specular maps and shit on UE4's pretty decent AA.

PS, Anyone notice how shit has wind effects... INSIDE!!!

why are all the banners fluttering in a nonexistent wind

if you're talking about the lighthouse banner you're an idiot, if you're talking about any other banner then you could make the excuse that there's actually a lot of airflow going on in rapture from burst pipes and shit.

What the fuck, thought it was only me

The game was fucking unplayably unpleasing because of that bug

I feel like replaying 2. Haven't since release.

So there's absolutely no reason to install the remastered version?

fuck deferred rendering for forcing all this blurring post process shit instead of MSAA

Remasters are fucking retarded because nearly all the time video games are built like a house of fucking cards and altering one thing ruins a hundred other things. And then they expect modern PC's to just brute force any of those problems away.

But instead of not doing them, they just cheap out and sell another million copies to gamers who's first console was 360.

There's the unlockable dev commentary at least in BS1R, haven't touched BS2R.

Like I said earlier the game softlocked for me so I can't progress. Can't pick up the last 2 dev commentary nodes because of this. It's bullshit and I'll probably end up watching them on youtube rather than play through this buggy mess of a "remaster" again.

not unless you want cheevos, commentary or "challenge rooms"

Commentary sounds nice, but only on Bioshock 1. Thanks for the answers.

Also, wtf why do I own Minerva's Den? I never bought it and I was under the impression it was console only. Really happy about this.

free add on

The one thing 2K didn't jew out on.

it´s free

im not reading the thread but i've heard Bioshock 1 remaster is awful and Bioshock 2 remaster is pretty good.

anyone tried out the second game?

Are gaming companies just incompetent now? remember years ago we didn't have these shitty problems. games work and if it didnt it was because your system needed an upgrade...now we get buggy messes that never get fixed

I've heard bioshock 2 looks the same and runs horrible compared to the original.

Bioshock 2 is just upscaled port in a bad way.

>Bioshock was made in UE3
UE2.5, actually. Infinite was made with UE3.

>remastered looks better
>Cred Forums has to be a contrarian

I get your point but that doesn't stop this remaster from looking disappointing.

We have bad ports all the way to the 5th generation
youtube.com/watch?v=H4OOZzHxBO0
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NoKsVmyzM

Really all it needs is a mod to restore original lighting

>Are companies just incompetent now?

Why yes they are.

>better
here's your (you)

With the tremendous success of remasters I hope you guys know that we will never have backwards compatibility for consoles ever again.

>we will never have backwards compatibility for consoles ever again

Like I'm surprised, I knew this when Microsoft gave us the middle finger and told us to go fuck ourselves with the 360 BC.

fucker

>think right looks much better than left
>hair, reflection, shadows
>mfw it's actually a good remaster
>mfw I notice the remaster is on the left instead of the right

Yup, it looks better. Most people can't even tell the differenc anyway and they will think it isbetter. Deal with it virgin.

>Remaster keeps crashing at the spider splicer fight right after you talk to Peach Wilkins
>decide FUCK THIS and go play the original
>better graphics options, better sound options, better textures and effects, turned off mouse smoothing and acceleration in the ini, runs like a dream
>miss out on some fucking kelp and physics objects at 60fps

Why does the remaster exist, exactly?

money, and possibly to gauge market interest in bioshock. they still own the IP, only a matter of time

Yup, unlike remaster version OG Bioshock (1+2) can reach 4k but doesn't has 4k textures

The thumbnail of dec made me read it as DFC. I'm disappointed as fuck.

>One of those looks more realistic
That isn't the one that looks better

Anyone know the best settings? I've tried everything and it still looks and runs like shit.

play the original

360/PS3 was an average gen
XBone/PS4 is all about remastering 360/PS3 games
now, Xbone/PS4 are remastering themselves.

if anyone cares at all, if anyone wants some good news and isn't just here to bathe in controversy here is something to be happy about

steamcommunity.com/games/409710/announcements/detail/954024807103855871

>devs "looking into" issues that shouldnt have been there day 1 in a "remaster" or more accurately, a lazy port of a 2007 game that runs and in most cases looks worse than the original

great news man, so happy to hear it

And people hyped for years for another remastered HD edition of meme Fantasy 7.

Chinks are ruining the world one intellectual property at a time

What the fuck is up with the audio mix in this game? Like sometimes when I swing my wrench I hear it only in my left ear but then other times I hear it in my right, you can hear splicers two rooms over as if they're standing right next to you.

What the fuck is going on with that? I tried the original and it has no such issues with the audio other than cutting out when too many sounds are active at once.

This is why you don't farm out your "HD" remasters to some Chinese dev in that shithole of a country.

>remaster of a classic game is shit, people are upset
>dude wtf just calm down lmao its just a game, cant you be happy for once

fuck off and get some standards

2/3rds of this thread wouldn't play these remasters even if they weren't broken. this is just another shitposting about the latest wannabee TORtanic threads on Cred Forums

if you want to enjoy the game, it sounds like you'll be able to enjoy the game.

you can look past the flaws sure, but they're flaws that werent there to begin with. A remaster nearly 10 years later makes the game worse, rather than better. How is that anything but cause for upset? Its pathetic. There's no defending it, and there's no reason to play it given its free if you own the original, which is the superior version.

>Wet concrete isn't that fucking shiny. Go outside, pour some water on the sidewalk. It gets darker when wet. It doesn't look like it has a layer of ice on it.

If I pour water on the cobbles outside, turn on my porch light, and take a photo near the ground, the cobbles would reflect all the lights of the street, my house, my camera flash, etc. There is a reason cinematographers have insisted on shooting wet surfaces over dry surfaces for almost 70 years. It looks considerably better in all respects.

Question about the remasters -- did they give Fontaine/Atlas, Tenanbaum and that chick in Arcadia non-Splicer models?

filthy apologist tbqh

>how is that anything but cause for upset
because you can play the originals still if you want to, and for those who do not have that option for whatever reason will, ideally, be able to enjoy the still great game with what are apparently some pluses and minuses. If you have the original you don't have any reason to be "upset" and you are just angry about video game industry bs which isn't worth your grey hair.

>it's ok to see the industry go to shit
well, alright

it's an industry and they don't care if you yell or complain, they just want money and they'll still get it because most people don't care as much as you. Go yell at indies and you'll see some change.

Do you see Cred Forums making Hollywood switch things up if they bitch about x or y enough? The industry has been shit to your standards for a long time and it's not reverting.

There are bigger issues about games and the industry in general to save the pitchforks for. You guys don't need a new blunder of the century every week... this remaster's not even that bad compared to other shit shows we've seen just in the past year.

there are threads for everything, there's no "saving" it when shit will be talked about regardless

Would it be possible to port the lightning from the original into the remaster, or the texture improvements from the remaster into the original?

Looking at all these, while the bioshock remaster is worse, the bioshock 2 remaster seems uniformly better.

When a "remaster" has the same bugs as the original plus crashing that deletes saves.

Does that sound ok to you?

Yeah it's futile.
It's just seems really retarded to see unfold week by week.

THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THEN MOUSE ACCELERATION FOR A FREE GAME YOU RECEIVED

there,I typed it nice and big for ya.

yeah so lets just sweep this one under the rug, no worries guys you tried your best, crashing while saving your game, thus not saving your game haha its cool man! making games is hard. lets just chill out, alright?

works for me bro

9 FUCKING YEARS TO FIX THIS SHIT AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T

Let's be honest here, Bioshock 1 is definitely one of the best games of last generation. Probably in the top 10 for last gen games. It's strongest aspects being the story and the twist.

I have not played 2 or Infinite.

Did you not see the response from the devs? Those issues are getting patched. Someone earlier said that it doesn't matter, so maybe it's just too little too late for you but if you really care then I'm sure that's probably a nice thing to hear.

yeah its cool they're being fixed, but they shouldnt have been there in the first place. there's 0 excuse for that kind of laziness. it runs worse, looks worse, crashes more often, and has more limited options. it's a worse experience.

Yeah remaster looks better obviously
>better particle effects
>more colorful lights and less harsh bloom
>better shaders as evidenced by the lamp on the right that pops out much better
>but muh wet floor!
Specular wetness looks dated as fuck now anyway, it's not like every floor is supposed to look like shiny plastic just because it's a sea game.

I'm not sold that the game actually looks worse. I think that's a lot of people cherrypicking as usual. The crashing also seems less common than people on here make it out to be, but it's obviously present.

If you understand the industry, as shit as it may be, it is standard to pump these things out and figure out bugs and shit later or not at all. It's standard, and that's the industry that the community of people who play games these days demand and so we have it. At least they're getting patched.

The water-reflected light is now gone.

Why.

I mean fucking why, though?

Because starfish are cute.

>it's not like every floor is supposed to look like shiny plastic just because it's a sea game.

That lighthouse is in the middle of the ocean, and that floor is only a few feet (if that) above sea level. logically it would be soaked all the time.

> You can't make a difference, don't even try.

Sure, lets all just pack up and go home then. No point to discussion about anything, no one has ever learned something or changed their mind.

nice projection cumguzzling consolecuck

1 job, fix the fucking waterfall.
nah man how bout a nice orange bloom and motion blur on the trees

You're not changing the industry by attacking the Bioshock Collection. Pick your battles wisely and pick your methods even wiser.

Does the remaster run on the new unreal engine or something?

Because I was expecting it to look better, while it does not. The only reason I can think this existing is for the bioshock team to have a training wheels easy peasy project to work on new Unreal engine, learn the ropes while making a product to sell at the same time.

... While they still fucked it up somehow.

you got your starfish

cant you be grateful

Star fish are okay. They actually do get around. But that sea weed is over the fucking top

The seaweed is fine because it would be there.

The starfish are not okay because they are bright red and bright blue.

And that's a problem because...

They're living in an environment rife with ADAM bearing sea slugs though, all sorts of crazy shit would be happening to their DNA.

>get out of water, onto steps
>no exit water splashing noise until half way up steps
>try again, same
>do this for 20 minutes
>uninstall

good times.

Who even handled this port? This is terrible.

It great when you see rooms in the original that look fucked up and messy like they are supposed to given what's happening and in the remaster it looks like the maid service came through and cleaned/fixed shit. A lot of the new lighting gets rid of the dark atmosphere but does look a bit better although it really depends on where you are at. This really is a case of the remaster making some stuff look better and some stuff look worse which fucking blows. I've seen better fan recreations of areas from this game. I wish we would get actual remasters with work put into them instead of this lazy crap they put out so people can play it on the PS4/XBone.