We will never get a good Lotr game ever again

>we will never get a good Lotr game ever again

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/a-lord-of-the-rings-mod-kingdoms-of-arda
youtube.com/watch?v=0CDY384HZ2A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's for the best. The books were glorified travelogues and only the first film trilogy was good.

We have LEGO lord of the rings, so I'm fine.

There's never been a good LotR game because there's never been a good LotR movie or book.

>we will never get a good game again

you tried too hard, user

Is there any general consensus on the best LotR game? I've only played a couple.

I already got Battle for Middle-Earth, so I'm mostly content.

>implying
I know you're baiting but to anyone reading this; you should really pirate BFME2 + Rise of the Witch King. They'd stand up really well even if they didn't have the LOTR brand. War of the Ring mode (basically Total War lite) is fun. It's also to my knowledge the only RTS in existence with a donut creator.

Seriously though, pirate that shit. It was discontinued long ago and now it's about as expensive as the Tellius duology.
Depends on the genre. Even then for RTS there's a divide between BFME1 & BFME2 as to which is "better" but both sides agree the other game is great.

The general consensus though seems to be BFME1's got the better campaign whereas BFME2 does regular skirmishes better.

> Battle for Middle-earth
> Fighting the Battle of Minas Tirith
> Build trebuchets and farms all over, using every construction slot
> Wreck the orcs' shit
> Then
> "GROND!"
> "GROND!"
> "GROND!"
> Fuckhuge battering ram comes in, the one that's scripted to break down your gates so that the orcs can swarm in
> Open the gate instead
> Battering ram glitches out and turns sideways, forming an impenetrable wall of trollflesh
> Keep raining arrows and trebuchet stones on the orcs until they all die
> Reinforcements have no one to kill

Telling the truth isn't baiting.

There he goes again on his own.

>bfme1
>saving boromir
Also get the Elven Alliance mod. Make sure it's community edition. Adds an Elven faction, puts Haldir in and he shows up at Helm's Deep in the campaign. Like Boromir, if he survives Helm's Deep he'll continue on (he goes with Rohan). Also adds Gamling and Hama too.

>playing against elves in BFME2
>they get silverthorn arrows

Minas Tirith is so easy to cheese, something I found out by accident.

I figured I'd intentionally screw up just to see what happens, so I just sent everyone to the top of the city and built a shitload of turrets on the walls. Turns out the AI sort of glitches out when there's no one to fight, so they just stand there and do nothing. The AI only started to move after Grond destroyed the gate, but they seemed to be intent on attacking my dudes who were hiding at the top, surrounded by turrets. Even then, they just sent in a few squads at a time.

I think I lost something like 10 soldiers during the whole mission, and that was mostly because they really wanted to charge the incoming orcs while I was looking at something else. If a nazgul arrived, Gandalf let it rip with the beam o' light.

But Bannerlord is coming out soon

>Bannerlord is coming out soon

What does Cred Forums think about Shadows of Mordor? I recently started it, and so far its pretty good

I really enjoyed Shadows of Mordor, although it's more a Silmarillion game than a Lord of the Rings game.

Is Shadows of Mordor set in the first or second age or something? That sounds cool to me.

I want to actually get off my ass and read the books, what are the best editions of each? Any experiences buying books from bookdepository? I'm planning on starting with The Silmarillion

Polite sage for offtopic post

I'm a huge LOTR fan, but I think it's time to let go. There's nothing left to look forward too, now that the Hobbit got (rather divisive) live action films there's nowhere else to go. And you can forget about any illusions of a Middle Earth game series.

The BfME duology are easily the best.

Cmon mate.

moddb.com/mods/a-lord-of-the-rings-mod-kingdoms-of-arda

It's an excellent game, and it becomes a totally different game when you go to the second area. I do have a few complaints though. Aside from the boring end-boss fight, the game has a wonky difficulty curve, starting out quite hard but ending up way too easy when you've leveled up.

If you want the game to provide a consistent challenge, I would recommend not upgrading your stats past level 3.

My only other advice: just remember your mission isn't to kill every single orc captain. Collect Intel on the captains, and don't kill them unless you have to, or unless you're preparing to kill the general that they protect. Knowing the skills and weaknesses of each captain is more important than killing them all, since some skills are way more OP than others even if the captain is a low level one.

Bretty gut

Best Ass Creed game

I thought it was complete shit. The story and the protagonist are as generic as you can possibly get. The combat is bad. It has Ass Creed parkour except there are barely any buildings you can really use it on, and it feels pointless. The nemesis system is nothing like advertised, just churns out generic orc "bosses." And there isn't anything to do in the game except for going around and killing orcs with the casual combat system. I love LOTR but I completely lost interest in playing it by the time I got to the second area. Not a single thing was good about it.

That would be cool, but no. Shadow of Mordor actually does take place after Bilbo takes the Ring but before Sauron fully takes over Mordor again. Although you see Gollum, most of the story and lore is focused on the history of Mordor, as you find lots of artifacts relating both to Gondor's occupation of Mordor and Sauron's past. They try to stay true to Tolkien-made history, but they included a bunch of non-Tolkien original content, especially where the monsters and animals of Mordor are involved.

It's interesting because the second main area of the game is a lot more greener than you would expect to find the environment in Mordor, but the reason for that is mainly because the Orcs haven't wrecked it to shit yet.

Woah wait, so did Cred Forums lie to me about this game? Is it actually fun and challenging. (I don't like ass creed, would I like Mordor?)

Ass Creed clone that shits all over the lore.

The Hobbit - Entry level.
The Lord of The Rings Triogy - Denser, extremely descriptive, bit harder to get through.
Silmarrilion - Super dense, but great if you're into conworlding and created histories/languages.

It's just Assassin's Creed: Mordor, only there's no Ezio. It can be fun, but it gets insanely repetitive pretty quickly. I stopped somewhere in the second main area (the green one) and never picked it up again.

Nah not really super challenging but still better then any ass creed game maybe besides Black Flag

>fun
Kind of.
>challenging
Lol no, it's the easiest thing I've ever played and I usually suck at these kinds of games.

If you like the combat that allows you to fight 100 orcs with no problem just by pressing dodge & block - sure

Shadow of Mordor is pretty good.

>but still better then any ass creed game

I've only played the first 3, but IMO AC 2 and Brotherhood were miles ahead of Shadows of Mordor.

For the love of god, why the fuck would you start with the Silmarillion? That's like saying you want to read the bible and starting with obscure jewish apocrypha.

It has a little bit of Ass Creed, but it has more in common with the Batman: Arkham games than it does with Ass Creed.

Absolutely DO NOT buy it on PS3 or Xbox 360, as those versions of the game are severely gimped.

The Hobbit -> LOTR -> Silmarillion -> Unfinished Tales

there you go

For optimal challenge, don't level up your stats past level 3, and turn off dodge/counter icons.

Has anyone played War in the North? Two of my friends and I noticed that we all had it in our Steam library from some old Humble Bundle. Good enough for an afternoon of co-op?

Mike Z tried to do a good Lotr game.

youtube.com/watch?v=0CDY384HZ2A

One of the great things about it is that the punishment for death isn't just "Do the thing again", but rather "Do the thing again and also your enemies have leveled up by killing you. It's oddly satisfying in a weird way, and motivates you to take revenge on those assholes.

I thought I should start with The Silmarillion since it's the first one chronologically, but if you say so then I'll start with The Hobbit

Pretty enjoyable I thought, it's not that challenging though and there is a lot of conversations that really interrupt any co-op stuff. The linearity hurts it a lot too.

It's the first one chronologically in the sense that it's a collection of writings on the history of the world, compiled from Tolkien's writing after he died. Please don't start with it.

>mod for a game that hasn't been released yet
How?

Read the page, it's just some idea guy's plan for an LotR mod that he wants to make. It literally says "As the game is not out yet we have no way to exactly know how moddable the game will be. Therefore this list is subject to change."

They're making the assets first. Also

I actually managed to play through most of the PS3 version (got it as a gift so I felt obligated to at least try it) but eventually I got to a point where the framerate was so bad that I couldn't pass it. I still managed to have some fun despite the PSP-tier graphics and silky smooth 15 fps though, so whenever I get around to buying a PS4 or upgrading my toaster I'm definitely getting the actual version.

You will be so lost. Read the Hobbit and then LOTR, then go back to Silmarillion if you loved the world.

The inevitable mod for Bannerlord will be amazing, I can feel it.
Also the mod for Victoria 3 could be good.

I really wish a dev would deliver the following:

The War of Wrath, or the Great Battle, was the war of Elves, Men, Dwarves and Valar against Morgoth at the end of the First Age, which marked the end of his rule in Middle-earth. It was the largest battle of the first age and possibly the largest battle ever to have taken place in Middle-earth, which decided the fate of the Silmarils. The war was so violent that it literally changed the face of middle-earth beyond recognition. It resulted in the expulsion of Morgoth from Arda and the destruction of most of western Middle-Earth.

Please give us a game based around the War of Wrath.

If theres some shitty studio looking for a new game, this is it.

>Born of Man, Elf or Dwarf.
>The call to arms is now, rally with your brethren against the shadows.
>Epic battles, epic everything, massive scale monsters. (think the balrogs riding their dragons).

>Witness the rise of Morgoth himself.
>Ride with Fingolfin to confront Morgoth himself at the gates of angband
>Get to witness the Ainur battle each other.

Man just kill me and let me live in that world.

Ah thanks.
Guess I'm retarded.

Is The Third Age any good? I only know the gameplay is ripped off from FFX.

I riked it

Funny how lotr became the "generic" type of fantasy and what's been popular has been more of an ultra edgy/gritty more toned down worlds with gray colors and more political intrigue. But I can already feel that people are getting a bit bored of that stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if we'd see a return to more "heartfelt" and genuine stories in the future that harkens back to lotr.

I would really like to see an RPG that strives to capture that feeling of companionship and being on the road and helping out people and the feeling of brotherhood and kindness, trading lore around campfires, all that.

I hate everything LEGO so seeing those games and hearing that they are good makes me suffer

Try Sil

>tfw even the licensed ea games for ps2 were amazing
what a bizarre time early 2000s were.

>I would really like to see an RPG that strives to capture that feeling of companionship and being on the road and helping out people

Dragon Age?

yeah that definitely had some of that element, not really a heartfelt game but it definitely goes there. I think the witcher series has some of that quality as well, despite having on the surface the most edgy looking protagonist possible. This is why Shadows of mordor failed as a lotr game, it just didn't capture the feeling of middle earth, too warlike and focused on revenge