Your opinion on shaders / filters

Your opinion on shaders / filters

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bfy6sMgKDwA
youtube.com/watch?v=CQVUIhHKxUU
youtube.com/watch?v=89JJ0U5Ld3g
youtu.be/AA4mTQ0Nh04
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_(visual_arts)
arthistory.about.com/cs/glossaries/g/m_medium.htm
pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139318#139318
gyazo.com/6b0c85755d20eb9411ea4224b7f31fa5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that a filter, not a shader, you dumb fuck

They all look like garbage save for very subtle CRT filters.

Got some in motion OP?

They can make Sonic 2 look really good.

Or really bad.

I like trippy shit.

I don't like blurs, smears, or linear upscales.

Really cool if you can spare the time to mess around with them. Someone made a custom shader for PPSSPP that came partnered with a .txt file that basically allowed whoever to mold the code (i think it was OpenGL code but don't ask me what that's built off of, I don't fucking know) into their own shader. Endless possibilities with that, was crazy.

Sometimes I spend more time in emulators messing with shaders than actually playing the game.

I hate them. I'm a pixel artist so I like to understand the little details of the sprite work. In cases where the pixel art was made to be adapted to crt it's nice to see how it was done. Filters are the worst.

>I'm a pixel artist

I like seeing the sprites and very rarely do I ever turn them on.

This looks good, but the low bitrate fucks it up.

Cred Forums: where the art style that was video games for 30+ years is now fedora neckbeard.

Fuuuuuck yourself.

Making pixel art in 2016 is like using typewriter to write a book.

Sure, people used to do it, but nowadays you have no excuse other than wanting hipster cred or being old.

user, an artstyle is not comparable to a tool used to make it.
A better comparison to your stupid typewriter bullshit is if that user was still using an Amiga to make all his art.
That said,
Post your work, faggot.

>user, an artstyle is not comparable to a tool used to make it.
It's not an artstyle, retard. It's supposed to be a way of representing graphics as palette data for an older system with little memory and no framebuffer to interpret as signals to send to the screen. On a modern machine, if you say you're "making pixel art" you might as well say you're "making graphics that look like they're made out of big squares".

Dumb analogy.

You're a dumb analogy.

>that image
that's a joke, right?

user, pixel art is absolutely an artstyle you utter retard. It's comparable to pointillism, in a way, though it's still its own thing. Just because it originally came from technical limitations doesn't change what it is.
Quit being retarded.

I want to see this trippy shader in motion, is there any video of it?

Terrible. If I wanted to simulate going blind, I'd just wait another ten years and let nature take its course.

No, you quit being retarded.

Let's take a vector graphic. Internally it's represented as a line, right? But when it appears on your screen, it gets rendered into pixels for your screen to view.

Now tell me, do you consider this representation on-screen to be "pixel art"? It is art, and it's displayed as pixels. Why isn't it pixel art?

Modern "pixel art" is the same thing. If the pixels used are 1:1 with the size of the output display's resolution, it's just art. If the pixels are bigger than one pixel on your screen, it stops being pixels, it's art that's made out of squares. This includes a low-resolution game where the window can be resized.

Stop contradicting yourself.

>adding shit
This is not what emulators are for kid

What in the fuck am I looking at? This looks like an heavily-artifacted screenshot of a photo of a page of a magazine about the game. I can't even describe to you how terrible this looks. It's like a VHS player commit suicide

Now you're just arguing semantics, you absolute retard.
Pixel Art is just a term to refer to art done in a deliberately low resolution, which comes with its own challenges and visual style. There's nothing wrong with it when it's done well.
It's just an art style.

>emulators

I remember that shit.
youtu.be/bfy6sMgKDwA

Wow this look suprisingsly awesome

How is this filter called?

How can I use this shader? I'd love to try it out

B-b-but it looks like I'm playing on a shitty TV! Just like the old days, remember????

It's not a fucking art style. Modern pixel art is a pitifully unfaithful attempt to do what developers back in the day did, and all it really ends up being is a bunch of squares.

That reminds me of the sketchy filter on Dolphin

youtube.com/watch?v=CQVUIhHKxUU

looks better on other games

Stop samefagging

stop being pretensious fuck

I began typing a reply, but then I looked again at the post you're replying to and it already rebutted you.

> Pixel Art is just a term to refer to art done in a deliberately low resolution
>DELIBERATE

user, not everyone does pixel art in an attempt to mimic old vidya.
Some people just like how it looks. You may have autism if you can't see that.

>people bought fucking movies hidden as games

Taaaaaaake ooooooon meeeeee~

OW
MY
EYES

For you or for me

So is "painted with a paintbrush" an artstyle too now?

God, how retarded can one person be?

Pixel art literally would not exist if it weren't for old systems implanting nostalgia into people's brains, because on its own it looks like shit.

That's sort of neat. At least post-processing effects can look really interesting, as opposed to this "I put a scanline overlay on a genesis/snes game so retro XDD" shit.

I don't have nostalgia towards pixel art, user. I didn't start playing vidya until 3D was already a thing because vidya didn't interest me until I was in my early 20s.
I just like the way it looks.

>So is "painted with a paintbrush" an artstyle too now?

No, dipshit, that's not what's being argued. No one is confusing mediums for art styles.

THen you have no taste. It looks terrible.

Please show me what looks good to you, then.

>Pixel art literally would not exist if it weren't for old systems implanting nostalgia into people's brains, because on its own it looks like shit.

Okay. So pixel art as an artsyle has its origins in what others produced out of necessity. Does having an origin make something not an artsyle? Other guy's right, you're just arguing semantics.

>So is "painted with a paintbrush" an artstyle too now?

No, but there's a huge difference stylistically between using small points of color which blend visually, and actually blending paint and people frequently call them by different names.

You're a contrarian dipshit and nothing more.

You have to go back.

Here's some more post-processing effects.

The Madworld one looks insanely good on F-Zero GX

youtube.com/watch?v=89JJ0U5Ld3g

I never use them seriously, but it's neat seeing what's possible.

You'll just say it's shit.

Doesn't make me any less right.

No there isn't. Compare Yoshi's Island to DKC. Those are clearly very different "artstyles" but are both made out of small dots of color.

Looks great on emulated PS1 games. Never seen it work as well anywhere else.

Seriously, is this a shader that works in real time?

No, I won't I'm just curious to see what you think looks nice if you blanket any pixel art under shit.
youtu.be/AA4mTQ0Nh04

>Doesn't make me any less right.

Okay champ, you're right. Taking inspiration from the past isn't art. If I use a caveman painting as a reference, and make something similar in photoshop, I'm not doing it in a prehistoic style, because that's impossible.

What are you even getting at?

>No there isn't. Compare Yoshi's Island to DKC. Those are clearly very different "art styles" but are both made out of small dots of color.

Christ, you're dumb.

Pixel art is just the digital equivalent of pointillism. The emphasis is on placing individual pixels with lots of attention to how they visually blend. It's not the same thing as blending colors together with a brush. There fundamentally different approaches to making an image, despite both being on a digital display.

Just like an image made with pointillism had a different approach than simply blending the colors together, even though they're both made out of paint and displayed on a canvas

>I'm not doing it in a prehistoic style
That's entirely correct.

Unless you want to go out into an African cave and paint a scene with tiger blood, it's not prehistoric style.

>implying pointilism is even remotely comparable

Please stop, you're making yourself look so bad.

Quit samefagging, idiot.

>Unless you want to go out into an African cave and paint a scene with tiger blood, it's not prehistoric style.

Yes it is, just not a prehistoric medium.

You're a fucking idiot.

Alright, so you don't actually disagree with the people you're arguing with, you just have a completely insane definition of "style" that's causing some confusion.

Jesus christ what are you even doing?

>Pixel art is just the digital equivalent of pointillism.

In a broad manner of speaking, yes. But there are very few if any recorded examples of pointillist artworks that don't attempt to recreate a scene or object as the artist sees it in their own eyes - in other words the artist does not stylise the object in rendering it, but the method of painting is stylised itself. That's pretty much the polar opposite of pixelart which - due to naturally far lower resolution than the human eye - necessitates an abstraction of the form and removal of details.

>Yes it is, just not a prehistoric medium.

Yeah, that's exactly his problem. He doesn't know the difference between "Art style" and "medium" and all this bullshit is him thinking they're the same thing or something.

>Kneejerk "HURR INDIE SHIT, ITS NOT REAL ART" Faggots.

This is a pretty good example where Cred Forums doesn't know shit about art let alone pixel art. If you want to get something good out of either medium you have to actually know what the fuck you are doing. It's just that hipsters use it as a crutch for being shit at art because people like you can't tell the difference.

No it isn't. It's a poor mimicry of prehistoric style. Stickmen aren't going to look prehistoric when done in Photoshop unless you tell them beforehand to look at it as if it was.

Not my fault you're all idiots.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_(visual_arts)

arthistory.about.com/cs/glossaries/g/m_medium.htm

At least he didn't use a food analogy. We're getting slightly better.
Like a cheese, aged to perfection.

Full on delusional. This is hilarious.

Rather be an idiot than illiterate, have a nice day.

Explain further.

>pixel "art style"
Just draw 2D cartoon art, dingus. That's what the artists of old games were going for, they just worked under the limitations of their hardware.

>there are people who actually think pixel art is an artstyle
fucking kek

>that's what the artists of old games were going for
Have you talked to them?

FULL
ON
DELUSIONAL
You need to stop being a crybaby manchild. You're argument got torn to shreds. You're pretending to be calm but you're butt's all full of salt and I love it.

You don't think that the artist's choice of medium has a direct relationship with the art style?

Pixel art has a clearly distinct style of its own.

>2D cartoons
Just draw realism, dingus. That's what the artists were going for.

I know right? fucking retards lmao

Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true.

No it doesn't. Do you think taking an image and resizing it so it looks "pixellated" makes it pixel art too?

>Just draw 2D cartoon art, dingus.

Nobody knows how to anymore, either in videogames or cartoons

All evidence is in this thread to prove it's true, regardless of what I say.

Such as?

>No it doesn't. Do you think taking an image and resizing it so it looks "pixellated" makes it pixel art too?

Pretty sure nobody does, not even pixelartists. That's one strawman down.

pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139318#139318

>No it doesn't. Do you think taking an image and resizing it so it looks "pixellated" makes it pixel art too?

No, because it's obviously just a pixelated image. You're telling me you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a blown up JPEG and legitimate pixel art just because they're both pixelated?

>Do you think taking an image and resizing it so it looks "pixellated" makes it pixel art too?
No, because that's not how it works, you fucking retard.

>people in this thread don't know the glory that is daisuke amaya's art
Buncha fucking plebs.

Neat

>"Not my fault you're all idiots"
>The amount of times you call someone a retard or idiot and use rhetorical questions.

All of this "you're all wrong and I am right" is textbook delusion and I'm sorry that you don't see it. But that's the nature of delusion after all.

You've been trying explain art by using science and literal definitions (like pixels) which is hella dumb

Good lord.

I've long-maintained that the only good TV-like filters emulate the video signal, as opposed to the screen display.
Blargg's NTSC filter is the former, and not the latter.

People pick some really dumb hills to die on here.

They fuck up games. The original on CRT is the ideal experience.

nigga.

Needlepoint.

YOU'RE FUCKED

Nice analogy, idiot.

well, there's scanlines on that so I'm not sure what you're getting at. I like it though, looks authentic.

Pixel does some good shit, pixel art or not.

They ported Chrono Trigger to early 2000s cellphones?

Are these using a shader? They don't look much different than I remember.

just a palette shader. Allows for all different kinds of effects.

This one looks good
Like a wallpaper

I can get it for you in a higher resolution. How do you want it? Aspect ratio 16:9 or stretched?

If this was cleaner and was pure line art, I think it would look neat as hell.

post cool as shit pixel art

>shaders
most are shit, some are good
>filters
100% shit all of the time, even the novelty ones like in OP's pic that are fun to look at for maybe 2 minutes

16:9
If you can, kind user

I FUCKING WANT IT

Actually yes. Japan has fucktons of weird SNES ports to Japanese feature phones.

Part of the reason we didn't get a Chrono Trigger port to a system besides the original PlayStation was because Japan had just gotten one to cell phones.

Is this OK?

>tips fedora

You're not me faget
Thanks dude

do you really think they're okay?

I was going to run them through Photoshop, but if you like them, sweet.

>filters

Haha, right? Filters are for looosers lmaooo

after a little photoshop tweak

That's... a bit too much

Okay, I didn't want it so jaggy either.

Just wanted to bring out the definition more.

beautiful

>vector art = pixel art

You are a literal retard

explain how this works.

Post visual effects you would like to see in vidya

gyazo.com/6b0c85755d20eb9411ea4224b7f31fa5

Wow, I've been playing on emulators for years and was completely oblivious to the fact you could add filters/shaders.

Question: is there a way to apply them only to certain layers? For example, only the background, while the sprites, scores, etc are still displayed normally. Otherwise things can get too trippy and it's impossible to distinguish shit.

>Pixel art would not exist

Stopped reading there.