Has there ever been a video game that managed to live up to its own hype?

Has there ever been a video game that managed to live up to its own hype?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uAG6bwBd4Eo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any of the prime series discluding 3.

Kotor. Though the original feels like it's missing something.

I liked the mystery of KOTOR 2

Fallout 4®

Bioshock Infinite

No Man's Sky.

Fuck the h8trs.

I think Halo 2 more or less gave what it promised

Skyrim

Ys VIII, for me.

Fallout 4

Nigga, you must have been 5 when Halo 2 came out. Literally everyone hated playing as the Arbiter and definitely hated the cliffhanger ending.

Duke Nukem Forever

Half-Life 2

Super Mario Galaxy

But everyone loved the online multiplayer, user. And please tell us how much was resolved in Halo 1's ending.

Hotline Miami 2, for the most part

Mario 64 and OoT
FFVII
Halo 2 and 3
Portal 2

MGR left fans pretty divided, but overall, I think everyone got what they expected.

GTA San Andreas
No one really wanted to play as a nigger in a GTA game but today its considered one of the best games of all time. Really makes you think

Because the niggers in GTA SA behaved like actual niggers, moron.
What bothers people is games that take what's essentially a white character and making it black/asian/whatever because muh diversity and shit.

>conflating culture and race
>I'm totally not stupid as fuck

>Thinking race actually exists in humans
>Trying to be a smartass and failing in the most miserable of ways
Enough vidya for you, time to grab some books kid.

Rocket League

whoa settle down their chief, time to step away from the keyboard.

No Man's Sky

Atlas Reactor mostly because there is no hype for it

>settle down their chief
>THEIR chief
Thanks for proving my point, moron.
You really should take your own advice.

Demon's Souls

Ocarina of Time

>What is World of Warcraft?

Yes, also Twilight Princess and GTA 3.

Mario bros 3

A lot of examples here, while technically valid, are not of games that got massive amounts of hype.

>MGR
>fans pretty divided

Demon's Souls was a sleeper hit. The first run was completely sold out in the US.

Dark Souls was worth every ounce of it's hype.

Prove me wrong.

Protip:you can't.

My dear summer child.

Oldfag, in all honesty.
If you have a problem with my opinion, address it directly instead of going full Ad Hominem like a retarded teen.

bait

lol, yep

Final fantasy VII
It was hyped and demoed for years everywhere and by everyone, it even when from being developed for a console only to end at another (from N64 to PSX) and It became a highly regarded classic and top seller, that even got a remake for PC. (Yet I think FF VI had better story)

They both were actually.

Bloodborne

WoW
It blew peoples minds when it came out

Freedom Planet
Undertale
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

I was hyped for all of these games before their release and I was more than satisfied with all of them. I got what I expected and then some.

Halo 3.

They were ready for us with Dark Souls. Unfortunately, our bodies were not ready for Dark Souls.

So much pain and anguish.

>A lot of examples here, while technically valid, are not of games that got massive amounts of hype.
What constitutes "massive"?
Super Mario Galaxy, FF VII, Portal 2, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, SMB3, all those were hyped as Fuck MASSIVELY in all media even for years and they delivered a great experience.

And those are only a few already mentioned in this thread, I think you're just either aiming to bait or being quite bias defending your personal opinion.

Shadow of Colossus

Put Half-life 2 to the list also.

The only correct answer.

It was a follow-up to the greatest game of all time, and it was expected to be the new greatest game of all time.

It was.

And still is.

star fox 64, it was hyped in massive ammounts since star fox 2 was in devel. It delivered.

Different user here. HL2 was the last game I ever got excited for. Huge disappointment. It was worth it though, learning not to get hype has the bonus of never being disappointed.

what the fuck are you talking about, are you drunk

HL2 is goat

>Implying the Arbiter was not a total badass, and that his arc wasn't the best part of the story overall..

XCOM 2 lived up to the hype, if you ask me. Sure, some of the DLCs and shit were silly and it took them a few weeks to balance some of it, but overall the game was a clear improvement over the first and it was absolutely great how they made modding so easy and flexible so that you could custom-tailor the entire experience after your personal preferences. Also, them snakes.

Skyrim for the first 20 or so hours until you realized all of the quest-lines were irredeemable shit

Games with zero hype

if it did its online wouldnt be kill

UnderRail.
Darkest Dungeon.
Legacy of Kain.

... That's all I can think of right now.

I'm serious, I did not enjoy the game at all and thought it was a huge step back from HL1. Just my opinion.

Of course, much as I loved HL1 at the time, in retrospect the ripples of its popularity continue to help ruin videogames, so I guess that's retroactively disappointing or something.

Spore.

sadly oblivion had better replayability, and in a niche Elder scrolls had always had high ammounts of hype ever. Daggerfall stills impress me.

Different user here, I remember XCOM 2 being hyped as 'PC exclusive for a more tailored in-depth experience' and it definitely didn't deliver that. Also it was glitch as fuck with really shitty performance at launch, no idea if they ever got round to fixing that but surely that's enough to suggest it might not have lived up to the hype.

Dishonored was bretty good mane

Kid Icarus Uprising
Splatoon

much more so then tr4sh

no one played halo 2 for the campaign

yes and fuck no

>instead of going full Ad Hominem like a retarded teen.
>I'm whinning about ad hominems by doing ad hominems
Top shitpost, underrated.

>half life 1
>long start but doesn't stop you for animations every hour
>endgame is a slower quake 1 which is still considerably fast
>puzzles involve more than just stacking things on top of one another

>half life 2
>cinematic animations every hour
>weapons all feel awful and sound like beebee guns
>bad story, completely different in every way from half life 1 story and thematically completely different too other than LOLCROWBAR
>bad level progression and general poor level design
i sure hope this is a joke like all the posts above yours saying shit like fallout 4 and duke nukem forever

They fixed that in like a week, and it's pretty common for most games nowadays to need a couple of patches the first few days after release. It happened even with games like Dark Souls.

Elysian Shadows

youtube.com/watch?v=uAG6bwBd4Eo

>They fixed that in like a week
I dunno, I tried XCOM 2 a few weeks ago and the performance was so shit I didn't bother playing long enough to locate any bugs.

>it's pretty common for most games nowadays to need a couple of patches the first few days after release.
And yet, it's not that common for most games to have a broken final level.

>It happened even with games like Dark Souls.
Ports of console games by console developers are different to PC exclusives touted as being specifically tailored to the PC market.

Nothing you said is exactly 'wrong' but it's all apologist bullshit and it doesn't really address the issue, specifically the hype around XCOM 2 centred in part on how the game was specifically designed for PC hardware, so surely the massive QA failure (even by 'normal' standards of 'expected' issues) detracted from the game's ability to live up to the hype.

And just to repeat the other half of my post, another (supposed) benefit to being PC exclusive was hyped as more in-depth gameplay, and whatever that vagueness meant, it certainly didn't deliver anything more deep or complicated or intricate than the previous XCOM, which surely indicates another area where the game failed to live up to its own hype.

thank you for this, user

half-life 2 may have helped the industry in numerous ways, but it pretty much sucks if you look at it as a video game

Resident Evil 4

game wasn't anywhere on the hype map.

game exceeded the hype.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metal Gear Rising
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Splatoon
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Halo 3

Nu-Male's Sky
Cred Forums said it was gonna fail and it failed. Only nu-males actually got hyped for that train wreck

Well, "hype" is entirely subjective, but out of recent memories: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2

Splatoon was garbage tho

Rest is true

is this bait?

I hope you aren't joking. I actually agree.

The only correct answer is Witcher 3. Game was super hyped and still exceeded expectations. Fucking masterpiece