Should I skip Dark Souls 2?

I know I'm late to the party on this shit but seriously.
Im having a lot of fun with 1, even tho the online is pretty dead, but I am nearing the end. I like to play games in order but everyone says 2 is shit. Should I just go buy 3 instead and play with my bro? Is 2 worth the 40 bucks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ztPGThfD_GY
youtube.com/watch?v=vAVCkVclNR4
youtube.com/watch?v=vsfVOXMgqaU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>40 bucks

HAHAHA
A FUCKING LEAF

Dark Souls 2 is more of the same in a less cohesive, more railroad-y game world. There's no logic to how everything fits together like the first game.

I've never played the third.

Should go on sale for a lot less than 40 bucks so just wait and get it and the DLC then
PvP isn't worth even trying to get into and make sure you get agility pronto otherwise you'll hate the game.
You'll never recapture the magic from your first Souls game so expect to be disappointed

DS2 looks better and feels faster. Except you can only level up at a certain bonfire and the world design is more of a sprawl then it is a tightly packed matrix. But it's only like that because you can teleport between bonfires from the very beginning.

Skip it and never look back

Don't believe Cred Forums and their memes.
Dark Souls 2 is a fucking great game.
They just have autistic levels of nostalgia goggles.

Dark Souls 2 really isn't that bad... I haven't beaten it yet because there are some bull shit moments but I'm close to being finished.

2 is a shit souls game with shit bosses and shit music. Good game but bad souls game.

>Should I skip Dark Souls 2?
No.
While I am one that agrees with the majority in that DaS2 was pretty garbage, it was still worth a play through and if you enjoyed DaS1, you should try it just to see for yourself. There are die hard DaS2 defenders on Cred Forums, so you may actually prefer it.
If you want to go straight to 3 to play through with someone, go ahead, you won't be missing much in terms of plot/lore throwbacks, but you should come back to 2 at some point.

Although I will add: Play Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, they're amazing.

It's a good game, but easily the worst of the soulsbourne games.

Get Scholar of the First Sin
>is it worth 40 bucks?
I dont know, is that a lot for you? It has a lot of content and the most replayability in the series. Its the weakest of the 3 but its by no means bad

No.
It's not the same as dark souls 1 but it's very good in its own right.
The areas don't fit together as well but there's some extremely memorable locations and it actually probably has the best atmosphere out of all 3 games in many respects.

>Play Demon's Souls

Pfft too late for him, he won't enjoy it now that he played game with far more better bosses that don't have extremely minimal movesets

>DaS
>good bosses

HHAHAJAKAKAKAJAKAKA

My ps3 has been dead for a while, dont have the cash for a PS4+ and 4k tv atm.

Demon's Souls bosses were never about the moveset or being "hardcore xD". Most are gimmicks and fairly interesting in their own rights. Astraea and the storm king were great. But it still has some worthwhile fights like Allant and Flamelurker.

> looks better
nah

>feels faster
sometimes

Wait for a sale. The DLC areas are awesome, but vanilla isn't that great.

Skip to 3, especially if 40 bucks is the cheapest you can find DS2 at. Maybe go back to it later at a cheaper price so all the dissapointment doesn't sting so badly and the few goods points stand out.

>Should I skip the best souls game?

What do you fucking think?

No don't skip it, it may be considered as the most hated souls game but its still a good game

I disagree. It's never too late to enjoy something.

Demon's Souls feels like a much different game when compared to Dark Souls and it's sequels. The way the game is laid out, the way the lore is also fleshed out, as well as how the game progresses.

In my honest opinion, I think it's more fleshed out and more of complete package than any Dark Souls game has offered. Demon's Souls just feels like a complete game. I never went through a level thinking "oh this feels half-assed/unfinished" while I did so when playing through DaS1. Even with DaS2 some of the shortcut placement is absolutely laughable. DeS is definitely playable even after playing DaS games.

>shit music
no

youtube.com/watch?v=ztPGThfD_GY
youtube.com/watch?v=vAVCkVclNR4

>Demon's Souls just feels like a complete game
How was that 6th arch stone?

Broken as explained by the lore, and it absolutely makes sense. Doesn't stop the rest of the game from being a complete package.

>its still a good game
its not tho

how was that 2nd half of DS1 and entirety of DS2?

Sorry to break it to you user, but there's actual assets still in the game for the 6th arch stone. It was cut due to time constraints, not lore. Demon's is as unfinished as any of the souls games. Bloodborne's the only one that's finished.

It was cut from the game though, user.

>Demon's Souls bosses were never about the moveset or being "hardcore xD".

But that's the thing user, he will come in to Des playing it like Das and then not enjoy it.

Des is something you gotta experience first.

But it is, its just not a good souls game

Don't skip it. Try it.

There are a lot of people who hate DS2. I was one of them. Because I was waiting for the game, and when I realised that DS2 is not like DS1 at all, I was infuriated. How dare they? And then the famous video by Matthewmatosis was out, and I realised that with a lot of things in the video I agree. But then, all these things could be easilty called "it's not like Dark Souls". That's it.

People here still salty that Dark Souls 2 isn't like Dark Souls, and can't accept the game as a Dark Souls game. Don't listen to them and try Scholar Of The First Sin version. It's a great Souls game.

Here's some fashion shit that will wait you in the game - youtube.com/watch?v=vsfVOXMgqaU

>He fell fot the Dark Souls 2 is bad meme

every game has cut content
difference is good games don't make you play the unfinished levels anyway (see lost izalith, duke's archives, 90% of DaS2)

No, Don't skip it. Dark Souls 2 is an important part of the Soulbro history. The PVP is really good, better than the PVE in certain instances. The game is worth your time.

>But it is, its just not a good souls game
still not tho

>Astraea

>a women who will literally kill herself if chosen to or will do nothing if you arrow her ass

>her knight that will only do 1 fucking slow move attack

Shit fight, good background story, that's all i have to say about that.

but it is

You'd be missing out. I didn't like it at first but it grows on you. There are some retarded parts like the pile of rubble that could save you 6 hours by climbing over.

Cred Forums is a bit extreme about game ratings.
You will love the power stancing system. The graphics DG is immediately noticeable, but so are the cape physics.

It feels less thought out/less polished without SOTFS. It's the best PVP in the series as far as I'm concerned. The Power stancing creates a lot more versatility with builds. Why they took it away in favor of dual weapons and "weapon arts" I'll never fucking know. It's the best thing about 2.

>thinking I'm saying they were finished just by saying DeS wasn't
Stop being a retarded little fanboy.

Easily the weakest of the series, but not a bad game. Just weird/dumb design choices (like tying the speed in which you drink a fucking flask to a stat) and some genuinely cheap moments.

Also the boss fights were pretty forgettable IMO. Three is better, but I felt it was too short and lacked enough content.

>you
>the point

DS2 SotFS was just on sale on the HumbleBundle store for like $15 USD. That's a fair price, imo, but not $40. Not at all.

OP here, I feel I should note that story/lore getting fleshed out/and environments/visuals and a sense of accomplishment are a lot more important to me than PVP. Since for better or worse the online is dying for these older games ill be doing most of that shit in 3 anyway.

>story/lore getting fleshed out/and environments/visuals and a sense of accomplishment are a lot more important to me than PVP

Absolutely skip 2. It is absolute shit in all those aspects
get bloodborne if you have a ps4

I think SotFS is definitely worth the buy if you also intend on playing DS3. After playing DS3 I noticed there were some things DS2 did amazingly that no other souls game achieved, and after replaying SotFS again, I appreciated DS3 even more. All souls game have their flaws, definitely, and DS2 certainly had a lot of them, but I also realise that each game has their strengths. People give DS2 a lot of shit but it brought a lot to the series and dared to go against the typical dark souls formula. So yeah, get DS2

Good lore does not justify an extremely shit final boss fight.

> I noticed there were some things DS2 did amazingly that no other souls game achieved

this gets thrown about a lot and nobody ever states any examples. DS2 is shit in almost every aspect

It's not about the fight, you dimwit.

not that guy but there's Lord Gwynn without parries, orenstein and smough, Artorias, Manus, Sif, and The Sanctuary Guardian

It's fucking shit. No, not Big Rigs tier L I T E R A L L Y shit, but it has some atrocious boss fights, levels, animations, hitboxes, and other shitty design decisions.

Pirate it and see if you like it but don't be ashamed of putting it down and jumping into DS3.

Remember this OP, after you beat Earthen Peak and you take the elevator up to Iron Keep, accept it. Geographically, it doesn't make sense but don't let it bother you.

not him, but 2 was really poor in terms of content and music before the DLC. at least for me.

It has the best DLC of all the Souls titles by far though, as well as imo the best fashion souls choices.

What's wrong with Duke's Archives? I tought the level was pretty good, one of the better ones in the second half of DaS.

>changes in new game+ that actually matter
>bonfire ascetics - basically you can move a location into new game+n if you use the ascetics, this changes some chests and loot items in some locations, makes monsters stronger, and, the most important - using bonfire ascetic restores the area boss, so you can fight it again
>can change your build if you have a special item
>best covenants - best pve covenants, like covenant of champions and pilgrims of dark
>powerstancing
>some unique armors with special abilities, like heavy helmets which guards your character from critical hits, and unique weapons with different moveset if you use it in powerstance or in offhand
>best poise system
>good level design (yes, some fags will say it's bad, but No Man's Warf, Dragon Shrine, Shrine Of Amana, Forest Of The Fallen Giants, Undead Crypt, Heide's Tower of Flame, The Lost Bastille, all DLC locations - these are really great areas)

And nothing about build versatility and best weapon infusion system? Seriously?

Cons
>Shit bosses
>Soul memory is bullshit
>Enemies despawning makes it a pain in the ass to grind on if you don't know about bonfire ascetics or a certain covenant
>half health thing is annoying as fuck on your first run until you find an item
Pros
>powerstancing
>repairs at bonfires
>parry changes
>shield breaks
>buffed ATT
>RES buffed and renamed ADP
>no broken poise

>Dragon Shrine, Shrine Of Amana, Heide's
>good

Seriously? They're all straight lines and 2 are just flat planes. Heide is one of the least interesting areas of the series, but I suppose it's GOD TIER cos it's pretty, right?

no all 3 games are good and are worth playing

I bet you like only DIFFICULT bossfights and can't see the beauty of The Deacons Of The Deep fight, for example, because you can't value the overal aesthetics and impact of the locations/bosses/etc

This guy gets it

i agree about heide's and dragon shrine, but i liked shrine of amana's design even if it was annoying. the darkness of the water and slow speed made you want to roll, but there are pits to fall into so you have to balance movement with your attention to enemies.

yeah it feels cheap but i like levels that challenge you environmentally instead of the worst levels in ds2, namely the beginning of drangleic castle "two gigantic
infinite poise elephants appear in a straight line while you get bombarded in the same straight line by archers"

didn't say anything about boss fights or difficulty
those levels are just badly designed and/or bland

Hell no its miles and miles and miles better than 1 ever was

you should wait for Nioh or get bloodborne

You miss the point. This levels have a great aesthetics and affects overall feeling of the game. And Shrine Of Amana actually has a gameplay gimmic in it, where you have to move slowly through water and wait till you hear the song which calms down monsters so you can kill them easily. All of it while dodging fucking magic missiles. It's simply a great area.

>This levels have a great aesthetics

And nothing else.

>And Shrine Of Amana actually has a gameplay gimmic in it, where you have to move slowly through water and wait till you hear the song which calms down monsters so you can kill them easily. All of it while dodging fucking magic missiles. It's simply a great area.

all of that is tedious as hell. take tanimura's cock out of your mouth

>enjoy your no lore, choosing locations from a global map and lots of the same Williams in the multiplayer

Bloodborne if fucking great though, if you have a PS4 - it's basically the only game you need it for

2 is fine. Adaptability is retarded and poise damage is broken but if you can get past those it's still pretty decent. That said, I feel like you could jump straight into 3 without missing anything.

looks way better than ds1

Git gud

2 is still a good game

>pictured: PC on lowest settings

If you didn't like 2 for that reason, you sure as shit won't like 3. 3 is completely pants on head retarded with world cohesion In one area it's perpetual twilight while in another area right beside it it's a clear blue sky.

4k max settings scholar of the first sin

if you need to ask this then you should skip all darksouls games for good.

Changing your resolution doesn't replace ugly, repeated textures that are in all versions of the game m8