Hey Cred Forums

Hey Cred Forums

Which version of Super Mario 64 should I get?

I like the art direction more for the original, even if some of the designs haven't aged so well (pic related).

But the extra content for DS seems a little attractive, though I'm not sure if they gimped the controls to have it work for D-pad movement. Does it translate well to the 3DS analog nub?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yS881o8R9LI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

isn't the voice acting completely different on the ds version

It worked great on the dpad so i think you would be fine either way

Don't you even THINK of getting 64DS.
It has a run button.
A FUCKING RUN BUTTON.
Enjoy walking everywhere for like the 5 spots where you need to walk slowly or fucking up your finger because there isn't a way to have it always run.
>B-But added Luigi, Wario and Yoshi
Yay, useless faggots so I can run to some dickroom of Peach's mansion just to play how I want to play.

Running with the stylus is great if you're left handed.

I like the art direction better for the DS, but I could never stand that PS1 garbage rendering that the DS had. It's the main reason I stuck to my PSP back in the day.

The DS version is vastly superior without a doubt. Not only can you play it on the go, but it has more content, three additional characters to play as, and brand new boss battles.

If I recall correctly, Peach is the only one with a different voice.

The original DS game with a strap that had a thumb nub on it, and 64DS had a mode that let you use it for analog running.

It worked pretty well.

Is this the old-ass remake that released with the DS?
I do not remember these changes

Probably because you didn't have a comparison in front of you.

Only a retard would get the DS version.

Its controls are a joke.

The DS version controlled like shit. The game felt so slow compared to the original. Honestly though, the VS. mode is fun if you have friends, and the mini-games were surprisingly addictive. I spent more time playing the mini-games than the actual game.

>if you have friends

>implying that user has friends.

DS version is complete garbage, and not just because of shit like a run button and 8 fucking directions. It's especially shit because when you turn around you fucking have to walk and do a 180 no matter what. You have to wait for this garbage animation to turn you around like you're some kind of fucking car. In 64 you press back and BAM he snaps backward. It's snappy and it's almost arcadey kinds of fun. DS compeltely fucking shits on it and it's pure fucking garbage because of it. No amount of content can fix garbage controls. That's why anyone who thinks this can be remedied with an analog stick as if that somehow REPROGRAMS THE GAME can instantly be considered a retard who just got out of high school and grew up with this version of the game. Pay them no attention and hope that one day nintendo does a worthwhile remake or someone hacks the DS game and makes it not worthless.

N64 has better gameplay. DS has more content and replayability.

Both are worth playing, but if you only ever play one, you should play the N64 version.

Camera is shit though for ds

The run button isn't a big deal at all. You constantly hold it down in the 2D games anyways.

>and the mini-games were surprisingly addictive. I spent more time playing the mini-games than the actual game.

Basically this, they were a good excuse to show off the touch screen features pre-smartphone era. That trampoline mario one was god tier.

I understand why they changed the snowman. It's face always creeped me out.

You can't travel to QPUs in the DS version since collision detection works differently.

Man that grass looks dead. Why make the level so depressing.

3D games on the DS were a mistake.

Mario 64 used to be at least 1% about overcoming your fears though. That's part of the adventure. Why can't they give this to kids? On a handheld no less. Who gets scared on handhelds unless they're playing 3 am with headphones?

I bet big boo's haunt isn't even unsettling anymore, even with it's godtier music track

>LITERALLY SM64: NSMB Edition

How can people even suggest playing this? Along with the controls, it's the ultimate example of idiots thinking added content trumps everything.

It looks like all the joy was sucked out of it.
Just because they have more polygons doesn't mean it looks better.

The original koopa and mario have a fun enticing aesthetic to them with rich vibrant colors and big cartoony eyes.

The DS one is like a bad remake too focused on making things realistic or something.
At least the HUD is gone

whats wrong with nsmb?

I probably just have nostalgia for the original but those designs seem so much snappier.

>what isn't wrong with nsmb?
fixed that for you

NSMBW was pretty fun, although I mostly played it with friends.

Real talk, i wasnt scared of the eel but the fucking fish thing on Tiny Big Island scared the living shit out me, i got so anxious of being near the water that i would try to get on top of the platform as quick as i could.

Not the only time it happened either. The DS was a piece of shit when it came to matching the N64 in visuals. Things were always blander and less crisp despite having more polygons.

The only good thing about 64DS are the touchpad minigames accessed from the title screen, which were also included in NSMB DS.
The new levels are tiny and all they did was split up Mario's abilities between him, Luigi, and Wario to make star collecting twice as tedious. You have to unlock Mario and they made multiple levels easier to beat.

Also, every person should experience 64's controls without a d-pad and a run button.

MP:H was actually fun

qpu?

Yeah, honestly even when I deluded myself to like it because it was my first DS game, I still remember not feeling pleased at all with the characters. Controlling them aside, I just didn't like how they fit into the gameplay. I couldn't pinpoint exactly why but I think it ruined the pacing for me.

All I know is I would do a speedrun of SM64 any day just because fucking around with fluid controls is fun. But I would never even think of doing it on the DS.

Speaking of glitches and exploits, what kind of exploitable glitches are there in SM64DS?

QPU's are meme acronyms spammed on Mario 64 threads and require special explanations, but first we have to talk about Parallel Universes.

I almost can't even imagine dire dire docks playing in such a bland and bright rendition. It's like they took out the sense of mystery

This is literally you right now.

Well, the DS could only do 256x192 per screen, whereas the N64 could do either 320x240 or 640x480.

original is always better

this goes for mario 64 for ocarina of time for nes marios for any game.

this

content wise the other user was right, the DS version is superior

t. hipster

OoT 3D is better in every way than the original and only further improved by including a harder version of Master Quest than any other version (the bonus disc version didn't double enemy damage)

>ocarina of time
3D includes Master Quest and a boss rush mode, though. Also the framerate is consistent.
>but that sucks
That would be saying Ocarina of Time sucks, so it wouldn't be a good idea to think that, user.

what I can't believe is how it's cool to shit on OoT 3D for not being grimdark enough but then people think MM3D is actually better

like how can you be so wrong so many times

>Trading atmospheric lighting and effects for more polygons.
Absolutely disgusting

They gave it DK64 syndrome with the characters.
Layering the same level four times with switches for each character doesn't make it 4x the content. It just makes it 4x as tedious.

>implying this is even a choice
If you seriously thought about getting the DS version instead of the original you might want to kill youself

>biglebowski.jpg

Hey man, that's not cool.

Also, don't you ever get the DS version OP. There's nothing offensively terrible about it, but like most remakes it misses the point or strips out the charm of the original.

If nothing else, just remember that the controls were readjusted to compensate for the lack of an analog stick. Hope you like holding down the run button, cause you'll be doing that often!

DS

original is for nostalgiafags only

N64 analog sticks are terrible anyway like lmao

Emulate the DS version at a higher resolution, play it with an actual controller

and watch the controller fix none of the game's issues. Great idea, friend.

Controls on the 3DS are absolutely fucked.
Go with the N64 game for historical purposes.

What, is there an easy way to map an analog stick to the touchpad's virtual joystick? If not it won't help, playing with an analog stick won't give it analog controls. You're stuck with the same 8 directions plus a run button

>play it with an actual controller
That makes it worse. On top of the shitty control scheme, your movements are now more imprecise because you're using 360 degree input in order to move in 8 directions, making it incredibly imprecise in terms of quickly identifying which direction you will go when pressing a direction and making it more difficult to correct your course.
And that's not even talking about how progression and level challenges are made more tedious due to splitting up Mario's abilities between characters.

The only genuine benefit that the DS version has over the original is the minigames.
Those are definitely a great addition.

>mfw someone recommends just playing it on a 3DS and using the circle pad, implying the only issue with the controls is that the D-Pad feels bad.

SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Play the original if you don't miss DS minigames and gimmicks.

DS version is argurably better, but the shit controls ruin it unless you see it as an extra challenge.

The game clearly lost some edge, it feels too happy in the DS version. Did they remove the piano jumpscare, in case someone might get scared in a horror world? It would be a sacrilege if it happened.

the original was a tech show off, like how those bug enemies are pre rendered spheres with marble textures, the kinda fake 3D that was impressive at the time probably would have looked bad on the NDS architecture.

man I loved n64s fake reflective surfaces and the weird rainbow lighting though.

>extra challenge
It's rarely even more difficult, it's just much less comfortable and thus less fun to play. Edging along narrow walkways by alternating D-pad directions or switching to the awkward touchscreen controls and back isn't really tricky, it's just irritating

I would honestly love for a game to do that nowadays. Kinda like what Yooka-Laylee is doing with it's sprites, but without fear of being abstract like early 64 games unintentionally were

youtube.com/watch?v=yS881o8R9LI

It still opens up, it just takes a little longer. It also knocks down the chair.