Play Dead Space 1 for the first time

>play Dead Space 1 for the first time
>put everything ON on the settings
>realize in the intro everything feels choppy as fuck
>notice that Vsync in this game locks the game at 30 fps
Why is this allowed? And how can console even play on this framerate?

Shitty port of a shitty game, no idea how it runs on consoles but people can get used to anything, especially when they are unaware something better exists.

>tfw the game bugs out when you release the framerate and cant pass through the door where you encounter the first necro after getting the plasma cutter

>comparing this mediocre 3rd person shooter to the best psychological horror film ever made

fuck you man

>Shitty port
True
>of a shitty game
Drink bleach

Just force vsync through your gpu control panel.

It also had terrible mouse acceleration you were unable to turn off (in the options).

Lock the game to 60 and it runs great.

I didn't care for it when it came out, a few months ago I replayed most of it, I definitely consider it shit. If you like it, fair enough, but I don't see the appeal.

3 retroactively ruined 1 and 2

I guess shitty is a bit harsh, but there's nothing great about it.

The first one is a good game. So much so even John Carpenter himself wants to make a movie out of it because he loved the game.

Disable V-Sync in game
Force V-Sync through your videocard

I'd actually recommend playing on console though
It controls better (believe it or not) and you'll be able to play the DS2 DLC

>I'd actually recommend playing on console though
>It controls better
cant you use a 360 controller on pc?

Yep. I remember when my cousin booted up 3 on his 360 and I just felt so bad I had to stop playing.

yeah but it's such a bad port that even still he's right.

i only played 1 and 2. so am i in the clear?

>30 fps
>720p
>ever better
Theres literally nothing wrong with the game on pc that cant be fixed with a simple adjustment.

Carpenter isn't infallible buddy, he's got his fair share of stinkers out there and his appraisal of this game is one of them.

Yeah but something about the forced mouse acceleration fucks with the gamepad controls on PC

If you do use 360 pad on PC expect incredibally unresponsive turning and walking
This port would play better with the wiimote and nunchuck

Except for the DLC being console locked, yeah

Wasn't there some sort of mod that fixed the port?
Alla dsfix
Yes.
Still Dead Space 3's early levels where you had to wander around the space station ruins was comfy as fuck.
Then you get to the shitty planet.

Dead space's 'scares' were way too formulaic to the point where anything in the game stopped being intimidating unless you're a complete idiot who never pays attention to mood. It's not a good horror game.

It is however a good sci-fi shooter. Clearing out an infested ship and all in a suit of semi power aromur. It's the space hulk game we need.

How can you be scared of anything with that sweet plasma-cutter?

>that sweet plasma-cutter?
I want one
nice quads btw

This is what everyone says in every thread but it's worth mentioning that AMD's software (Catalyst) won't force Vsync in this or any DirectX game. Occasionally you'll see people saying "works for me" but they're retards who probably don't know what Vsync is.

I used D3DOverrider to force Vsync. Some people suggest Radeon Pro or whatever it's called, but that was just as useless as Catalyst on the few occasions when I tried to use it.

Well, jump-scares work ten-fold on me
Every vent I saw gave me pause and every loud pop gave me jump

Otherwise I remember a few really great moments of scary tone
Like when you go to the hydroponic section and the elevator ride is the only source of light in the area
Or the famous gondola ride in the engine room

Jump scares aren't so much 'scary' as 'surprising'

If someone silently approached while you were unawares and then suddenly clapped their hands loudly right in front of your face you'd probably jolt. But you wouldn't call it 'horror' would you?

Dead Space was made before the 60fps meme started

What surprised me most about Dead Space 1 is that I'm a complete pussy when it comes to horror games and DS didn't scare me one bit. I don't say that as a negative (or a positive). Even jump scares get to me. But something about that game just didn't work for me.

Nice try but 60 fps has been a thing on pc since the old quake/unreal days.

It's because Isaac is a one man army. Infact its the necromorphs that should be afraid of you.

I think you're probably right. He's a walking tank, not much room for fear there. In fact, in DS1 he has no room for any emotion at all. That's probably not the best way to go for a horror protagonist. Unless Isaac was the villain all along...

will we ever see a dead space 4

>i'm not locked in here with you, you're all locked in here with me

the one spook that got everyone

It's true the game does an awful job handling the most important part of a horror game.

i think of it of more being like a doom game rather than a horror game. Yeah you shoot horrific creatures in both games but you never feel spooked. You just kill them.

this and the alarm clock were the only times the franchise got to me. Oh and the ending of DS1 when youre in the ship heading ''home'' and zombie nicole shows up.

>DS1 he has no room for any emotion at all. That's probably not the best way to go for a horror protagonist.

Neither is the "oh no my helmet flew off, time to cry about my feelings" either. The amount of helmet equipment failures in DS2+ was phenomenal.