Spacechem and Infinifactory

I just can't fathom why these games are so obscure. Spacechem is the best puzzle game ou there, I've sinked so many hours in it it's ridiculous, and Infinifactory is basically Spacechem in 3D.

Are pure puzzle games just not a thing anymore or is it due to the lack of exposition?

Because if you have to use your brain they've already lost interest.

normies are retarded and dislike challenges, so do consolebabies and mmoshits and rpgcucks
people who play puzzle games are the superior race, which unfortunately correlates to our rarity.

Infinifactory > SpaceChem IMO

To answer your question, it doesn't matter how good the game is, puzzle games are not popular and will probably never be massively successful ever again. Myst was a fluke.

You excited to Shenzhen I/O?

Fuck yes I am. It's like kohctpyktop gone commercial.

Fuck your answer.
There'll be good puzzle games again, the creativity just might take a while to kick in but it'll surely get there one day, don't believe this kind of presumptive shit.

Btw I loved spacechem

I couldn't figure out kohctpyktop. I know I am not an intelligent person. I love Zachtronics' games, but the only reason I get through them is a fuckload of persistence and patience. With kohctpyktop, I tried, and I just couldn't do it...

It doesn't help that kohctpyktop has obfuscated controls (nowhere does it tell you about holding shift to change to yellow), and the tutorial video is busted. Gave up pretty quickly.

I didn't say there weren't good puzzle games anymore, since that's just not true, there are a ton of them. I said that no matter how good they are, they are not popular, and will never be massively successful ever again.

GET
HYPE
NIGGERS
TIS-100 was god tier, this just might take it to elder god tier

Yeah dude. Just as SpaceChem lead way to Infinifactory, I feel like TIS-100 was to lead to Shenzhen I/O. I am so fucking excited. I'll be on a work trip for three days starting the day it comes out though, fuck my life.

I only managed to beat the first 6 levels of kohctpyktop by teaming up with a friend and wikipediaing a lot about electronics. That game is hard on another level. We required basically a whole holiday for each level after the first two.

It's such a shame these games are so niche
I've been trying to get threads going about Zachtronics games and the new one for the past few days and they never get off the ground
Cred Forums is pure shit but I just want to find the few good bros here who can talk about something without shitposting

Well, you have a whole 6 of us here now! Enjoy it while it lasts.

I've 100%'d every commercial game, including Ironclad Tactics, but just can't get into the non-commercial stuff. It's all intriguing, but everything is either impenetrable from an accessibility standpoint, or poorly executed/half baked.

And because this wouldn't be Cred Forums without shitposting drama/speculation, how about that complicated fact that Zach Barth pretty much invented Minecraft?

And since we do have this thread going, anyone know ANYTHING similar for iOS? I would KILL for a proper Zachtronics game on my phone. Perfect Paths is a decent SpaceChem-like, but it still lacks the freedom (each level only has a few solutions).

Ruckingenur is pretty playable, it's just too short. But there's much harder user-made content for it.

And yeah, Minecraft was pretty much a blatant copy of Infiniminer. And I have to deal with the "Infinifactory looks like Minecraft!" bullshit after that.

Not even Android has a decent Spacechem port. It hasn't been scaled and has no zoom feature , so unless you're playing using a tablet, everything is pretty much horrible.

>Spacechem is the best puzzle game ou there,
Spacechem is not a puzzle game

Puzzle implies that there is a design to it and at the very least one created intended solution

Spacechem is a programming game where goals are rather arbitrary, and everyone solves in their own way as much as they can with what programming skills they have

I would even call it a game because intensity of it is comparable to doing actual job, except you're not getting paid for it

spacechem is literally holy roman empire of videogames because it is neither puzzle nor a game

Trainyard/Trainyard Express have some similarities.

I think I gave up on SpaceChem at some asteroid defense boss. Couldn't ever get back into it.

Zachtronics games are so good

Yeah, that level was very disappointing. It was pretty much the only level that was extremely limited and engineered in its solution, and the only level I ended up ragequitting and then looking up the solution for. Took a break after that, then came back and completed the rest a little while later without help.

>Opinions
You have a point, in that there's no "correct solution" (unless you're going for high scores). However, that only makes it superior.

Saying the lack of a determined path makes it not a puzzle is like saying an open world game can't be an adventure game because it lacks rails.

for TIS-100 I'd understand where you're coming from 100%, but SpaceChem is pretty clearly a puzzle game

TIS-100 was comfy

No, I agree, I loved TIS-100, but I wouldn't blame someone for being turned off by how much like work it is. Maybe it's because I had 0 programming experience, so it was fun figuring it out? Those who program for a living probably don't want to come home and do more programming for fun.

is this a puzzle game? if so, best puzzle game coming through

Because they require actual thought. I fucking love Spacechem and the Codex of Alchemical Engineering even though I'm too much of a scrub to complete either of them, but if you look at most puzzle games, you barely have to think two moves ahead to win (assuming they're not purely luck-based pay2win shit).
Portal's similar, but a lot of the time you can BS your way through a lot of it without much planning, aside from Transmission Received.

Puzzle platformer, I suppose. Oddworld straddles a lot of genres. Platformer is the only solid one, otherwise it has action, puzzle, and adventure elements.

Forgot to say, Exoddus is better.

Im just getting through scrabania now in exoddus, after the other sacred hunting ground. idk if its the nostalgia or the fact that i hadnt played anything like it before, but so far i think that oddysee has been better. especially when i saw a walkthrough video of level 1 and theres like 6 secret areas there alone

Here's a tip for finding secret areas in Exoddus: Every screen that has Soulstorm bottles laying around somewhere on it has an entrance to a secret area. You're welcome.

I agree that through the first third, Oddysee looks to be a better game, but Exoddus really starts shining and surpasses its predecessor later on. Those glukkon possession gauntlets are too fucking good

spacechem does a poor job at telegraphing the possible approaches that one can use

I'd have liked more tutorial levels or some levels that cleverly funnel you into a solution

Instead I eventually got paralyzed by the near-infinite possibilities, of which I saw no working combination because I didn't know you could even flip a doppel turnwise or plumb a sphinctotron invertedly

Too bad The Witness is a pretty mediocre puzzle game then, with a pretentious ''story'' slapped onto it.

Spacechem is fucking hard. I like the game, but I'm bad at puzzle solving. It's honestly a miracle I've made it as far as I have. I'm at the part where you have to start linking several reactors together, and splitting atoms up in some, to reform other ones in following reactors.
Once I start fiddling around a bit I can solve the shit after a while, but getting this part started feels like a hassle. Might be stuck here for some time.
Also, anyone else found the music and sound effects annoying as hell? The music was far too loud and grandiose for a puzzle game, in my opinion. Would have been nicer with some low key ambient or soft beat music. And the constant sound of clicking is horrible. At least they recognise that not everyone is going to enjoy it, and let you turn it off.

Spacechem's solutions not being unique don't make it less of a game, or puzzle. The tools it offers and their combination make room for several solutions, which broadens playstyles and can only be a positive aspect
It being hard as fuck has nothing to do with jobs, even. Just because you can use programming skills to play the game doesn't imply it's like a job without pay

Agreed about music, they fixed it in Infinifactory with some more low key music like you said

>flip a doppel turnwise or plumb a sphinctotron invertedly

What. The. Fuck.

> have 33 hours logged in Infinifactory
> still haven't beaten the game yet

I got to the Homeward Fleet levels, took one look at the outputs, and pretty much noped the fuck out of there.

I already got my money's worth, no harm in quitting right then and there.

spacechem is literally one of the greatest games ever made

>check spacechem after months of not playing
>play a solution i made for the most advanced level i got to
>wtf how did i even do this

I AM HYPE FOR ENGINEER OF THE PEOPLE 2

WOOOOOOOOO

Spacechem is for casuals, REAL men play TIS-100

They're both good in their own ways tbqh

Spacechem is not more casual than TIS-100 and I love them both