>2016
>industry standard is still to have floating swords, swords without scabbards, and if it actually has scabbards (floating without straps), the sword clips through it when taken out and put in

Why are we not past this, Cred Forums? Also, post whatever else you think should be resolved by now and for some retarded reason isn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZMWW31FVCy0?t=1m7s
youtu.be/xoMLrKInT8g
youtu.be/vQBfNoi28Z4
youtu.be/Q4DnfmhJiGM?t=308
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Otumba
youtube.com/watch?v=hj-BulImoEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sleeping under covers

>swords on back
Isn't it pretty much impossible to take out a sword from a scabbard on your back? It's kind of funny that this is still a thing in movies and games.

Autism

it looks cool though

For shortswords it should work

There are special scabbards that allow for this, that have kind of a sling loop thing where the scabbard is basically raised to your shoulder and the tip goes behind you as you draw the sword, and then it returns into the normal position.

Because if you make a cloth/item engine that has zero clipping and realistic clothing arrangement like straps for the scabbard, you've wasted hundreds of hours on a system that will eat up processing power like Adam Sessler snorts coke and that MAYBE 0.1% of your userbase will even notice let alone care about.

>>There are special scabbards
Well, scabbard straps to be precise.

Pretty much your standard sword or a katana it would not work, but pretty much any other type of blade it would. It just looks kind of lame putting a short sword or a dagger on your back. I guess a scimitar might look kinda cool, and I'm pretty sure you can unsheath it from over the shoulder.

Do you have a picture? I'm really having a hard time picturing this in my head

Scimitar scabbards have holes in the sides anyway.

Yeah I guess a shorter sword would work but even stuff like Roman Gladii or scimitars were worn on the side. It's just weird how this became so popular in media when literally every scabbard in history was designed to be worn at the side.

Developers know full well how ridiculous it is, and have to spend time coming up with animations that make it look plausible.
Problem is the developers are making games after hollywood has infected peoples minds for a century with stupid shit like backscabbards and SCHWING noices.

Deadly Premonition pulled it off, of all things.

Individual stair usage. So few games have it. Mid-Hitman did.

>Sequel never

is there even a solution to clipping?

more accurate physics, but really its wasted cpu cycles on something so minor that so few people REALLY care about

>Nier 2
>floating swords
>but there's clearly some magical shit making it float

10/10 I'll literally buy the game desu.

carry swords like people carry em irl

Witcher 3 is the only game that animates Geralt pushing his scabbard in a way that he can sheathe and unsheathe his swords.

>more accurate physics, but really its wasted cpu cycles
Where do physics go into it? All you need is to position the scabbard along the sword path, which is already in the animation.

jokes on you, i double-stair irl

So what?

The swords still clip trough the scabbards. Watch carefully when you play

The push is like 1 frame and doesnt solve the fact its physically impossible to draw a long sword without clipping the scabbard.

youtu.be/ZMWW31FVCy0?t=1m7s

Go to 1:07 if the link doesn't already do so.

The swords still clip trough the scabards you fucking nigger

It's not that simple in most games. You have to account for

>inverse kinematics (legs re-positioning to the slanted ground or stairs, which if done properly affects the whole model's positioning)
>if there are wind physics, like heavy wind or snowstorms the sword should move independently of the rest of the model
>different weapons, all with varying shapes and sizes
>different armors, all with varying shapes and sizes
There are a lot of things that can go wrong with all these different variables at play. The best way to fix it for every scenario is to have mesh colliders on everything, layered to only register events between the armors and weapons while sheathed.

YOU so what, pretty much every game got some clipping texture, why do you only make a fuckin deal about swords ? The fuck is your point ?

>For one frame it clips through

>Having this much autism

At least they added a detail every other game forgets about you fucking pleb.

You literally don't have to account for anything except the sword position.

I wish they really did have that listed as a feature on the box.

So what's your fucking point? It's physically impossible to do and the swords always clip trough when he sheathes or unsheathes a sword.

God you idiotic Witcher fanboys should be put down

>I give you a well thought out response and explanation as to why things are the way they are in the video game industry, from a game devs point of view
>"lol no ur wrong"
I just remembered why I don't post on this cancerous board, thanks

We should have let Hitler win. Instead we let undesirables breed and create off spring like this.

Go outside and jump head first into traffic.

>le realism is stooopid and le autism
It's time to reflect, and repent.

youtu.be/xoMLrKInT8g
youtu.be/vQBfNoi28Z4

Witcher 1 did it right ironically enough. I think 2 did as well? Or there was a mod that fixed it?

The god of war series is the worst offender for this.

Not only do your twin swords glue onto your BARE NAKED BACK but they magically teleport into your hands as you open your combo with low jabs.

>le detail

Doesn't matter. It adds nothing, it's physically impossible to pull off.

At least in the first game he did some move where he threw the swords off his back and caught them in mid air. That was silly put possible to do

Also witcher devs had to make it so because of the sapkowskis hollywood influenced writing.
Why do Other games that dont use source material use back scabbards?

>swords make a metallic SCHWINGGG sound when drawn from scabbard

>it's physically impossible to pull off.

In a game where the main character has super human mutations.

Like I said, jump head first into traffic.

Yeah, back scabbards where pretty much just the tip sheaths are the only ones that make sense. Or things with an open side like pic related (couldn't immediately find a sword version so enjoy your gun). I don't know why so much media goes for the full-length stupidity.

>Gerald pushes the scabbard up with his left Hand before he puts his Sword in.

Slav magic

How can you not understand the difference between lore, world-building and swords clipping trough their scabards every time you pull them off.

Are you brain damaged?

>Also witcher devs had to make it so because of the sapkowskis hollywood influenced writing.

They could also do it in a way that would work, like the first game did it

Didn't attach the pic because I'm a retard

Do his mutations give him the ability to magically teleport swords into scabbards?

heres witcher dev talking about that noice
youtu.be/Q4DnfmhJiGM?t=308

Another retard has entered the thread

Nigga rise of the argonauts had that shit 10 years ago. It's busywork but not Ressource intensive on the pc

Human arms simply aren't long enough to pull a longsword off of your back. You'd have to have the longest wingspan of any human.

Would magnetic scabbard work? Just some future cyberpunk shit in which the sword levitate inside the scabbard when a button is pressed? Kinda like jet stream Sam's exploding crazy M16 scabbard.

scabbards main function is to protect the blade from rusting and bluntening, any scabbard that doesnt cover the entire blade is a shit one.

thats actually really fucking cool

Why dont you make the game bruv?

the sword and scabbard have to be rendered as 2 separate objects and can't use the same physics for both since they're different dimensions you fucking moron

The alternative is having to carry your greatsword around 24/7

You people are so autistic that no one will listen to your demands.

>factually get proven wrong
>reee autism
Why are you people so stupid

What about Mount & Blade, is this big axe realistic? I think in M&B swords are pulled from the side though

Larger swords like Zweihanders and such were usually worn on the back to my knowledge, however the person would take off the scabbard to pull it out. Zweihanders/greatswords were usually used in battle you would just pull it out before the battle starts.

>muh physics

Factually nothing, it doesn't matter. It is irrelevant to the game that this occurs, and no one but people with autism care.

>factually

No one cares, the fact that the W3 devs even added an animation should be enough.

But those with full spectrum autism will continue to sperg out.

That axe is gonna need a scabbard or else it'll rust, bro. That's not realistic!

this would be more viable

>nodevs in the thread
you're fucking retarded to simulate the actual sword inside the scabbard. at the end of the animation you just turn off visibility for the blade portion. it doesn't matter if the model is clipping through everything if the player never actually sees it. if your modeling code doesn't support that then the next best thing to do is to remove the sword model entirely and replace it with a dummy that just has the handle. it's not hard at all to fake a sheathed sword. even suggesting to use physics for this is several levels of retarded

>another thread ruined by triggered witcherfags

>Playing Skyrim because I'm poor and my life sucks
>Equip greatsword
>Greatsword clipping directly through my crossbow bolts

It's annoying enough to pause and unequip them every time.

One thing is or sure, Bethesda will not be the company to solve this problem

Look at that dinkyshit little axe. He'd get laughed at and called a pansy by the enemy.

Billy Bob is a big Huscarl and he can't even carry a medium sized axe!

>It's annoying enough to pause and unequip them every time.
Autism: Not Even Once

>Moving the goalposts this hard
>to the point where you literally just give up the whole argument but pretend you didn't
Kek. Keep using memes though that have about the same weight as calling someone a nerd. You're literally irredeemable

based turks and those guards of peace with realistic sword placement

Her head needs a scabbard

I'm not bothered by clipping nearly as much as pop-in.

>literally

You are a meme right now my friend.

This is my first post ITT

>Larger swords like Zweihanders and such were usually worn on the back to my knowledge

That's typically not the case. In a war party, for example, they'd have a bunch of carts or what have you transporting larger, cumbersome weaponry/supplies. A mobile armory if you will. When the fighting was about to start, you could set up appropriately, unwrap the bigger weapons, because making specific scabbards for them was impractical. Otherwise, greatswords and pikes and the like are terrible weapons to use if you plan on defending yourself quickly while travelling.

The reason the Longsword is so ubiquitous was because it was just about the longest weapon that could comfortably be worn on your hip everywhere, in a proper scabbard, which shields the weapon from the elements. The weapon's ease-of-carry also lead to a shitload of techniques being devised to tackle a variety of situations, even though the weapon itself is outclassed by larger "wartime" weapons.

>magnets, how do they work?

resident evil :^)

Yeah that could be a good mechanic, to counter greatswords being powerful they take forever to draw and put back on

Is there any game where I have a retinue carrying my arms for me and passing them on as needed?

you're right. but only insofar as that there's not much point in arguing against autism when the premise of the thread is autism; no matter how much effort devs would have to put in to avoid autistic backlash

You could still make it work by having the casing close around it when clicking in, and opening when you needed to draw your weapon

Are you telling me that William Wallace didn't ride around with his huge claymore on his back? Fuck you, buddy.

isnt that the movie where armor and bones were actually made from gummy bears?

>Considering consistency and realism is autism
Well might as well just have floating swords on the back then

>Filthy Gaijins doesn't know how to wear and draw giant swords on their back.

but samurais battled with spears most of the time. the katanas were mostly decorative in effect

Stop destroying the illusion of the beautiful past

clipping bitch isn't really a glaring issue for the generic normie gamer
if you're going for super realism then go for functional scabbards and all that good shit but for most games its just a lot of work put in to something people won't care about
or you could go the other way and have an actual reason for floating weapons on your back

>hyper-realistic MMO where you have people performing logistics tasks like moving carts of food, water, polearms and arrows
You could have something like Mount and Blade with supply lines.

>Doesn't know Samurai were mounted archers and only dismounted with katanas for 1v1 battles

baka gaijin

>yfw the game will actually look like this bullshot on pc
thank you platinum

>Can't tell the difference between Nodachi and Katana.

We're talking about field swords here.

samurai were mounted archers primarily, katana were used when they were dismounted, and spears were used by women

Mate, that sword is designed specifically for fucking up horses.

>the katanas were mostly decorative in effect

See Different culture, but the logic applies. Can't carry wartime weapons around with you everywhere comfortably.

Well most of the killing happened during wartime.
Ofc katanas were perfect for cutting peasants and whatever who didnt have armor.

That looks like it could chop a horse in half for real

So Sephiroth...he really does exist.

Perfect for killing peasants. Or if you got disarmed. Or ambushes. Or skirmishing. Or as a deterrent in day-to-day life.

But it was totally meant for killing innocent farmers (That are the lifeblood of productivity) 24/7. Totally.

evry tiem

But if you had 2 groups about to battle each other with time to prepare the first thing you do is grab a spear/bow.

yes, user, we are all very aware that katanas were not actually that great and the folded one mirrion times thing is because the iron in Japan was so shitty they to fold it a bunch to filter out impurities but this made the blade rather brittle

What is this "European" sword they're doing it with supposed to be? Is it a blunt theatrical copy or something? Because it's about 5 times thicker than an actual functional sword. Also, a sword wouldn't break like that, real European sword would bend similar to a katana, except it's more springy (takes a more extreme to set it in without returning into shape).

I know that, and that's not what I'm saying. Of course in major fights that both sides see coming, people arm up heavily. They pull out the spears, the bows, etc.

But to say that weapons like a katana or a longsword are purely decorative isn't correct at all. That'd be like saying modern day sidearms are purely decorative, if you'll forgive the analogy.

How about carrying your sword at the hip like people actually did.

well they're decorative the same way pistols were in ww2
They never killed anyone, they just were there so people would do what the guy with the gun says.

No, but the aztecs had something that could chop a horse's head

It was essentially just a giant cricket bat that had razors made ob obisdian stuck to the edges. Obisdian is fragile, since it's glass; but is "folded 10,000 times" tier sharp. Like 1-2 molecules thick at the edge at most. You are cutting between cells at that point.

A longsword was seen as a sidearm and that you had the money to have a sword forged for you. It was used in battle, but range is king especially in a melee. Besides swords are bad for fighting men in armor, that's why warhammers, poleaxes, and lances were the primary arms for knights.

>at the hip
>greatsword

That thing is literally the scariest weapon, in apocalypto I was spooked as hell knowing what those things could do.

That's pretty much what it is meant for actually.

the balls on that archaeologist
>I need heart surgery
>hey use these scalpels I made out of fucking rocks
>and for some reason the surgeons agreed

>Chop the head off someone

>The obsidian shatters

>Your weapon is now a large wooden club

Whether or not they killed a lot of people is irrelevant. The point is that sidearms are a helpful and crucial utility, even in large-scale warfare.

If your primary weapon were compromised and you didn't have a backup, you were boned. No matter how hard you try, carrying a primary weapon everywhere isn't practical or comfortable. Sidearms are typically cheaper and easier to maintain. The list goes on. There's more to consider concerning weaponry than killing power.

They didn't even need swords kek

it's now a large wooden club with jagged super-sharp glass on the edges instead of monomolecular blades, oh no whatever will they do

Get conquered by men in metal armor and weapons. That's what happens.

Is Shadow of Mordor as good as Witcher 3? I thought witcher 3 was shit at launch, but now it's the only game I have on my PC, it's amazing, one of the best games I've played in my life! HOw is Shadows of Mordor in comparison ?

I'd say a heavy cav on horseback bearing down on you at full speed with a lance would be scarier.

This looks literally like a modern day shiv made in prison

90% of NA population died from plagues of old world so it didnt have much to do about weaponry each side had

Witchers have a special knot to make it possible. Fucking christ read the books.

disease conquered them more than technology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Otumba

A few hundred Spaniards and a few hundred native allies fought off a hundred thousand Aztecs. The weapons did make a difference.

I'm not arguing that a longsword was a primary weapon, I'm breaking down why they were more than just decorations, and were actually pretty useful.

Of course poleaxes and such were better in large scale fights. But there are a lot of good reasons why you'd still want a sidearm even in a wartime environment.

Also, saying swords are bad for fighting people in armor isn't true, especially in the case of the longsword, which has become kind of famous for the techniques that involve fighting men in armor. The existence of maces and warhammers and the like does not mean everything else is bad, it means that maces and warhammers were designed to fight dudes in armor and little else, thus they are really good at what they were specifically made for.

>hurr nature can't produce something better than science
You're so white it hurts.

youtube.com/watch?v=hj-BulImoEQ

that article pretty clearly gives credit to cavalry tactics over the technological differences

they seemed to just shit the bed agaisnt cavalry and then dispersed after their leader was killed

user I think you have misinterpreted my post then decided to pick a fight with your misinterpretation

>use glass tools
>a small chip breaks and stays in the body
>next day the molecule cutting chip causes internal bleeding and kills the patient
>hey at least he has no visible scars

It's pretty fun if you got a weekend to spare.

It's got the same combat system from the BamHam games. Pretty fun for cutting through orcs.

If you've ever seen the original trilogy, you're pretty much Aragorn on steroids and with magic powers.

What if you have freakishly long arms?

>Is Shadow of Mordor as good as Witcher 3?
shadow of mordor is assassin's creed, not witcher.
It's a generic AAA wide audience game, so it's impossible to hate it, at most you'll just finish it and forget it, the nemesis system kind of add some fun, but that's about it

nemesis system got old fast

When you unsheathe it then you will either see an invisible sword pop into existence or you will see a sword suddenly start clipping through the scabbard as the animation starts.

Despite what video games have taught you scabbards are not floating objects locked into place wherever they sit. They jiggle and move all about so you can pull them up and forward to draw your sword.

It's like a loose backpack or bag slung over your shoulder. It doesn't just remain locked in place.

>1897
>In awkward as fuck to operate back holster

It's like you want your ass get blown off.

shit the second half of the game, you're fighting 30+ enemies batman style and i cannot have fun doing that. its so fucking boring and i really wish it wasnt