How well does Linux fare with Video games? does it handle them well, or is it unstable?

How well does Linux fare with Video games? does it handle them well, or is it unstable?

Other urls found in this thread:

zorinos.com/download.html
youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stable but has a hard time reaching Windows marks

there's enough good games that you'll never play them all but not enough relevant games for people to care

Denuvo is going to make linux obsolete in 2 years. only .1% of people on steam use it and that number is falling while Windows 10 is rising dramatically. Steam OS has not update in over a year. Valve stopped caring about Steam Machines. Linux is great if you don't like gaming. Keep Windows installed.

Stability isn't the problem, it's just that there no nogames. I love muh Linux but there will always be a need for a Windows partition for games,

I believe Windows 10 hit the final blow on Linux as a gaming OS.

You tried, Gabe. You tried.

that's a shame. I'm stuck on a problem which I can't fix quite well - fucking windows 8.1 is being arsed with me, telling me I need to activate the damm thing, but no matter what I tried, didn't seem to work.

so I remembered "hey, Linux exists!" and then this.

activate what?

>I believe Windows 10 hit the final blow on Linux as a gaming OS.
Huh? How so? What is Win 10 good for?

Depends on what you want.
Most older games (dx9 era and older) work fine with Wine.
Modern AAA games suffer from the same old catch-22 that plagues Linux, meaning devs won't release games for it because not enough people use it, and not enough people use it because there are no games available.

>I believe Windows 10 hit the final blow on Linux as a gaming OS.
Windows 10 hit the final blow on the Windows OS if anything else and in about 5 years we'll be left without a non-malware non-spyware OS if you want gaming. Too bad most people will settle for that.

activate Windows again. See, I downloaded my version 8.1 pro - about 7-8 months ago, and its been working just fine up until now, when it basically says that I need to enter a new product key, or else windows will go balls up in about two days, it's retarded.

especially when I try to use the various "help-codes" posted around the net, its fucking worthless.

It is free and convenient. That's all it takes.

>Too bad most people will settle for that.
And they will. People don't care about their bloated smartphones and macbooks either.

what about a loader?

>Win10
>free
you can upgrade a pirated version of Windows to Win10?

can't find one. only one I found so far was packed with malware

What's your point?

ah shit
thats unfortunate

should've used win7 dude

It was a question retard

try ksmpico

>Most older games (dx9 era and older) work fine with Wine.
The real irony here is that there's a lot of game from late 90s and early-mid00s and now work better on Linux then they do on Win 10 and even 8.1
My friend upgraded to Win 10 and now he can't play plenty of older strategy games from that period, while they work fine on both Win 7 and through Wine on Linux.

Also Windows defender automatically tags all loaders as malware, maybe you had a good loader and windows just lied to you.

35% of my steam library work natively with linux. Keep in mind that the graphics driver situation is not always great in linux. I've been bothering with Wine on occasion and the results were always lackluster but if you enjoy tinkering with that it might be worth a try. I wouldn't recommend Linux for gaming purposes

use google you lazy cunt, no spoon-feeding for you boi

>should've used win7 dude
that was actually my first choice, but apparantly, Windows 7 cant install from an USB, somehow. I still dont know how the fuck that wouldn't work.

>ksmpico
Gonna try it, thanks user.

oh, you got triggered fast

React OS can't come soon enough.

>Windows 7 cant install from an USB

Now that's bullshit. I've exclusively installed Win7 on several machines from USB over the last few years.

What are you even doing itt

what are you doing aside from getting buttmad at me for some unexplainable reason?

React OS is a huge fucking joke. It's better considered as an art project than an actual productive operating system.

>You tried, Gabe. You tried.
He really didn't.

Want to build a new PC

My plan was to have dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10, so I can play Dx12 games on 10 and do everytnhing else on 7

but MS is being a shit and is removing pick a patch abilities with updates on 7 anyways, so i'm considering doing Linux and Windows 10 instead

I've never used a non windows OS and i'm not sure I could handle a Linux OS. What's the best beginner one? Should I stick with 7 anyways? Will a combination of Linux + 10 run everything I could possibly want, or will there still be some software that falls through the cracks?

I don't know what to tell you. I tried over and over again to install 7 on an UST drive, but to no avail. I think the problem is that my computer doesn't have a CD-tray, so I never put one in, which I didn't think I would need. Don't know if that was the case, though.

also, big thanks user, it worked like a charm! Have a vidya-related ass in return!

zorinos.com/download.html
Zorin is basically made as the "transfer" between Linux and Windows 7. I've heard good things about it, so I'm probably gonna dual-boot at some point as well with it.

>What's the best beginner one?
Memes aside, Ubuntu. It's the closest you get to "it just werks" distro.

There might be some older games that don't work on Windows 10 without tinkering but a Windows XP virtual machine or something might help with that.

Ubuntu is okay for a beginner and is what most game devs/publishers target. Consider Xubuntu as well, it's just Ubuntu with a different UI, under the hood it's the same. If you use a non-ubuntu distro, you'll have to start fiddling to get certain titles to work, which i really don't recommend for a beginner.

>Will a combination of Linux + 10 run everything I could possibly want, or will there still be some software that falls through the cracks?
Mostly (like, for everything on steam you're completely fine). I don't know about playabilit of old (=XP-era and older) titles on W10, but for those you might even have a better shot by running them through wine. If you get them from gog.com they'll work for sure on whatever OS they specify.

Try Ubuntu or Linux Mint(cinnamon). Both are very beginnerfriendly and have a huge userbase and knowledge ressources. If you don't like ubuntus interface maybe have a look into the other ubuntu flavors like Xubuntu.
But again: I would not recommend Linux for gaming purposes.

If I was you I will not worry about a distro and first read on how to use linux, like a book or a linux+ course.
When you know how to use the terminal everything else wll not matter

I'm not a niceposter, it was all a ruse to make you post ass.

(me)
Also, once you have a working linux install, get The Linux Command Line (it's a free book, google it and download) and work through its first half. Due to Linux's heritage many things (mainly system maintenance stuff) are still best done through a command line interface (terminals), and once you've worked through the first half of the book, you'll be well versed in that.

Some people just want to use their operating systems instead of reading books on how to use terminal. You don't need to read a fucking book to use Ubuntu.

A small amount of games have Linux ports but you better have a Nvidia card or else you'll have a terrible time.
There's also Wine which can run a lot of Windows games pretty well, but results vary.
Use Ubuntu cause it supports the most shit. Use a flavor of it if you don't like Unity. I'd recommend MATE.

What does a bottle of semen go for in Russia?

> Some people just want to use their operating systems
Well then should just use a single W10 install. There's no point in switching to Linux or keeping around a W7 install if you don't give a fuck.

Also, can you even install software on ubuntu in a respectable manner without calling apt-get from the CLI?

Fucking blows. Steam OS/Machine was the most low effort pathetic shit stain of a move by valve.

I like how that picture clutters Sony's side with pointless bullshit to cover the fact that there are so few actual exclusives.
Also what's Emil still doing there exactly?

>A small amount of games have Linux ports but you better have a Nvidia card or else you'll have a terrible time.
Can you elaborate? I use Linux, plan on getting a new PC sooner or later and intend to buy AMD. What problems have you encountered?

youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA

You can't go wrong with Ubuntu or Mint, which is based on Ubuntu. Personaly, I don't like the Unity UI on Ubuntu, but if you can work with that, great.
I'm using Mint right now at work, and have 7 at home. I'm considering going down the same road as you, though.

If you have a newer AMD card and use a newer distro with newer drivers you'll be fine.
AMD proprietary drivers used to be terrible, but now it's fine even with the open-source drivers (while the open-source NVIDIA drivers are useless for gaming).

This. Running arch with my rx480 and shit works just fine.

Less issues getting compositing working than my gtx 760

Thing is that most Linux distributions are exactly the same thing at their core.

Op should still run xubuntu for 6 months

is me
Using a 560 with Nouveau on Arch, can confirm performance is worse. Only switched because of a bug in my quake3 client caused by a driver update. Now that this bug has been fixed by the dev, maybe I should switch back...

I also plan to do GPU passthrough to a W10 VM, which means Linux or rather your hardware can dedicate an entire GPU to a guest OS running in a VM, giving you native performance on Windows. If you build a PC and plan on using Linux, that is something you might want to look into. You need to check for hardware that supports it.

If you don't play AAA games you'll be fine with Wine, otherwise you'll have to dual boot. If you make sure your version of Linux is newer than the hardware you run it on, it's stable. Mesa3D (free as in freedom OpenGL implementation), however, can be a bit unstable. It's been causing my GPU to lock up in TF2.

>Loonix
>C drive