So any tips for a new MSGV Phantom Pain player? I just finished the fourth story mission...

So any tips for a new MSGV Phantom Pain player? I just finished the fourth story mission. Is there any reason to keep troublemaking recruits? Is there any real penalty to not going all-stealth? Does the game keep a record of the number of times you've died or retried anywhere? So far I'm having a blast but missions are incredibly slow going because I'm focusing on stealth.

>Is there any reason to keep troublemaking recruits?
In my playthrough those "troublemakers" didn't really cause any trouble. And I didn't have many of them to begin with. Plus, you're bound to pick up soldiers that have counter-troublemaker feats. So they usually balance each other out.
>Is there any real penalty to not going all-stealth?
You don't get the score bonuses for pure stealth at the end of the mission. So if you care about S-ranks, ghosting is better, because the ghost bonus alone is a pretty much guaranteed S-rank on most missions.
Although you can go guns blazing and still get S-rank as long as you complete the mission fast.
Plus there are hidden hero/demon points for going lethal.
>Does the game keep a record of the number of times you've died or retried anywhere?
Don't remember any of the sort. Even if it does, it has no effect on your overall rank. If you die/reload during a mission, it's subtracted from your mission score, I think.
>but missions are incredibly slow going because I'm focusing on stealth
As I said, doing a complete ghost playthrough will reward you with a fuckton of points, so time factor will become almost irrelevant.
But there are some not so obvious factors that count towards it. Like, for example, you can't use the box, or rather, you can't EXIT the box, because that would count as breaking the bonus.

Google "no trace" bonus for more details.

I just kicked out all the troublemakers, you can always get plenty more good recruits.

troublemakers are a nuisance, just dump them if you want to

no penalties or anything like that if you want to go in loud, but watch you don't slaughter everyone or you'll end up covered in blood with a long shrapnel horn until you work off all those kills

in the pause menu there should be a 'records' option, that's got all your stats

have a good time, boss

do you mind spoilers? big spoilers?

Thanks for the help, anons. I guess I'll just keep going at my own pace and kicking out any bad recruits since as you guys mentioned I can always get more.

Oh wow, didn't know about that horn thing. I'm having fun just stealthing it for now though so maybe I'll leave the lethal run to another playthrough or until I get fed up with sneaking. Also no big spoilers please, I know the story is apparently shit anyway but it's still interesting to experience it for the first time.

it takes a pretty good long time to built up enough 'demon points' for the horn, so probably don't worry about it unless you make a habit of taking out nearly everyone you see

When you grab an enemy and use R2 to put them to sleep, you can mash or hold R2. Mashing puts them to sleep faster but they wake up sooner. Holding takes longer but they stay asleep much longer. Knocking enemies out with the R2 punch combo keeps them knocked out the longest.

That's cool, I didn't know you could put enemies to sleep just by holding R2. I usually tap it and it seems to keep them asleep long enough for me to do whatever I need to do. Most of the time I knock someone or a group of people out and then fulton them back to base so they're never around that long.

I can imagine that without a bunch of suppressed weapons though that once you've killed a few people you'll have the entire base on your case, which leaves you the option of hiding or literally killing everyone. I'd probably end up stacking the kills pretty quickly.

>to put them to sleep, you can mash or hold R2. Mashing puts them to sleep faster but they wake up sooner. Holding takes longer but they stay asleep much longer.
Really? I thought mashing only sped up the process, but the result was the same. Like with picking locks, if you mash, you just do it faster is all.

If you hold up enemies and order them to get down, they will stay in that position till the next alert.

Seriously? They won't get up even if you leave?

Turn off all assistance, do not take a tranq pistol

Trust me. The game is piss fucking easy if you leave any of the assistance on or if you use the tranq pistol. Completely changes the game if you force yourself to take something different.

You can take one of the nonlethal primaries if you want, because they are all loud (at least early on) so you cant use them unless you get seen.

Turn off reflex mode, and consider taking off crutches like the direction indicator and markers as you get better. It's more fun to use your eyes and ears properly.

Don't get hung up on the side ops and all the micro management the game throws your way, they're not very important in the end.

Some gadgets have more than one use so experiment with them.

You can still use CQC, so it's still easy.
Subsistence missions are the most fun.
>no weapons or items
>no sneaking suit
>have to find explosives and blow up the target on your own

They won't. It's the best way to deal with enemies you don't want to fulton.

Turn off everything. Even the ammo counter.
Don't use any weapons or items, no cqc, no hold-up, no empty mags.
This is the true way to play the game, trust me.

then how do you beat Sahelanthropus or escape from the Burning Man?

With the power of autism.

>escape from the Burning Man
Use the car to drive him off the cliff or into the pool.

>not full body slamming him into the water tank by sheer force of venom's weight