Sell tons on console

>sell tons on console
>sell tons on PC
>loved by most critics
>loved by most players
>no sequel ever

How? Is Capcom really doing SO well that they can afford to let stupidly profitable products rot?

Also Dragon's Dogma thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2016/annual_2016_01.pdf
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html
ign.com/articles/2006/05/06/the-economics-of-game-publishing
eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-10-sfxt-dragons-dogma-sales-expectations
xb1.co.uk/features/capcoms-sales-projections-for-dragons-dogma-are-still-too-high/
gamingbolt.com/capcom-reports-sale-numbers-on-dmc-dragons-dogma-and-resident-evil-6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no sequel ever

There was a sequel. An MMO.

your gamu a retarded dweebshit

>sell tons on console
>sell tons on PC
>loved by most critic
>loved by most players

none of this is true at all

Or you called it a cult

Except it totally is. It sold half a million on PC, and a million on combined consoles.

more like pirated a million times. PCFats don't know the value of a dollar so they need to pirate everything

itsuno is busy with some other project

But Capcom confirmed that the PC port sold OVER half a million copies and that they were very happy with the sales.

No one gives a fuck, it's a shit game and it bombed you retard.

stop feeding the troll

Can we please not turn this into another thread ruined by Sonyggers?

They lost a lot of money on the console release. They salvaged some of it with the MMO in Japan.

The game is well known for being really jank, and having a lot of half baked concepts. It just has a LOT of them. It was fine, but stank of shitty Monster Hunter mechanics, and barely worked.

fuck off PCFat

Source: my gaping wide asshole

Fuck off.

How do I get gud at using warrior? I know its hard to use but I want to master it and kill shit with big swords.

Those sales are awful for a game of this budget, if those PC sales are correct that isn't bad but I'm pretty positive it was mostly just fans re-buying.

It's all about the positioning and the climb. You gotta' be willing to climb up the lion's face and stick your big fuck-off sword in his head.

My best climbing tip is to never be thrown off. Keep an eye on your grip me-... stamina bar, and jump off before you run dry.

thanks for betatesting consoletards
it's complete shit btw but at least it's free on a real platform

1.5 million sales for a game of this scale isn't bad at all though.

Because a sequel that matches the current standard for AAA open world RPGs(size, scope, world size, filled with content) costs somewhere between 50 and 100 million dollars if it's made in a first world country. That is way more than Capcom would invest in any one game.

How'd they manage it with the first game then? Or is this DD1 some jap-slav magic?

Falseflagging is shitposting.

cry me a river faggot

Because Capcom was in financial troubles at the time and game didn't sell THAT well in their mind because, of course, fuck the fact it was a brand new IP with barely any marketing whatsoever. Don't forget there's also a mobile game and MMORPG as well.

The size and amount of content in DD is pretty "low" by triple a standards.

DD was the most expensive game Capcom had made at that point, it was considered a big investment and supposed to kickstart a new franchise, it sold poorly in the west the market it was trying to appeal to most. The only reason it mite not be considered a complete financial failure is because it sold pretty well in Japan which is also why DDO is a Japan exclusive.

>Cred Forums talking about sales and business

Please, kill yourselves.

I don't know if you noticed but the world is tiny, only the main story has cut scenes, most quests are very light on voiced dialogue and there isn't that much content. The game lives off it's combat and dungeon delving. That's what keeps you going for 50 hours and another 50 for the expansion. That wouldn't fly today and judging by the sales it didn't really fly 4 years ago. I love it, dumped 150 hours into the game but i don't think there is a lot of love for it in the mainstream. Especially not after games like Witcher 3 and Mass Effect have set rather high standards for cinematics and dialogue presentation.

>Daimon looks like a weird monkey man with wings rather than a demonic minotaur dragon

What the fuck did they do to one of my favorite bosses?

>Not sold for 8 millions
its shit

>DD thread
>it's all shitposting

When this was released on PC we went weeks with great threads about builds, exploration, and waifus. Now look at it.

Started playing this last week on PC. Just finished the quest to kill the griffin. This game is THE SHIT.

>sell tons on console
>sell tons on PC

I'm sorry user, but you live in some kind of fantasy world.

Dragon's Dogma sold 1.3 million on launch, guess how much DmC sold? 1.2 million, and keep in mind Dragon's Dogma was one of Capcom's most ambitious in-house developed games ever. New IP's just don't sell these days. Granted Dragon's Dogma later got Dark Arisen and a PC release, which gave it another 1.3 million. But 2.6 million after 4 years? That's not great, even fucking DmC managed 1.8 million. Probably over 2 million with DmC:DE

Sources:
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/annual/2016/annual_2016_01.pdf
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Is 2.6 million really so bad? I remember Bloodborn being held up as a product that sold amazingly well, and it barely cleared 2 million.

BB didn't have to pay platform royalties and was heavily subsidized by Sony to move consoles.

>Is 2.6 million really so bad?

That would have been great numbers for launch at 60 dollars, only it sold just 1.3 million at launch. Launch window is the most important still sadly.

Bloodborne sold 2 million on launch, and was a PS4 exclusive, Bloodborne has probably sold over 3 million copies as of now. Bloodborne also probably cost less, it's not quite as ambitious for its limited hardware and it reuses a bunch of Souls assets.

Not to mention that BB is, from a design perspective, a lot more linear and probably costed a lot less to develop.

I don't get the platform royalties though. Is that actually a thing?

shut the fuck up already with this unfounded myth you shill piece of garbage

Bloodborn didn't sell 2 million at launch. Bloodborn sold 2 million in a year and is today sold for 20 bucks.

Bloodborn is not anywhere near 3 million if it just reached 2 million in the closing quarter of 2015. If I was wrong, Sony would have announced it with big blaring lights.

You're probably right about the smaller scale and re-used assets though.

It's 5 years old but i don't think much as changed.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

>I don't get the platform royalties though. Is that actually a thing?

Yes.

>I don't get the platform royalties though. Is that actually a thing
It is. It's what it sounds like.

ign.com/articles/2006/05/06/the-economics-of-game-publishing

He's not Daimon, his design only calls back to him. He's called Zhul, another demon.

Didn't know that. Thank you Anons.

Wait, does the dev get any slice of the cake or does he get paid up start?

Devs get paid during development when milestones are met and a bonus if certain requirements are met, they usually don't get paid per copy sold. If it sells especially well they get a sequel green lit.

A bit of both, I hear. The dev is given a certain amount of money as a monthly salary up until the game's completion. This is usually only about half what he'd make developing software of any other kind.

However he gets a very small share of the profit from every game sold also, which will make up the other half he'd otherwise make, or more if the game sells well.

By devs do you mean the individual employees or the dev company? Because the company makes a % of sales, but the employees are usually salaried. Maybe some games studios have profit sharing though, that I couldn't comment on.

>mfw the pain of having all my favorite games owned by capcom has made me bitter at the idea that good games deserve good sequels

>sell tons
nope
for capcom, everything under 10 millions sales is a flop.
Also, stop acting like capcom wants money

>for capcom, everything under 10 millions sales is a flop
>capcom doesn't want money
You didn't think this through, did you?

>stop acting like capcom wants money

Or success. Or critical acclaim. Or rational decision making.

The game was fun but way too much running around pointlessly.

Got tedious after a while.

I think it depends a little on the mood. You know those Euro Truck Simulator: No Fun Allowed games? You kinda' have to get into that mindset. You're just exploring and doing stuff and hoping to find interesting stuff and sometimes walking there is half the journey.

I'm probably the only person alive who defends this aspect of Dragon's Dogma, but for me, the most fun was seeing a cliff with some grass on it in the distance and seeing if I can't find a weird jump to get over there.

had this in my librsary on ps3 from way back. never played it
downloaded it last week

currently my favorite ARPG
getting my ass kicked in bitterblack isle right now. just killed the gazer, no luck with the condemned goreclops
a loli archer and a loli berserker

one is armored
one is armored to fuck
i love this game

DDO in the west when?

But I did.
That's exactly how retarded capcom is.
Anything beside Street fighter and resident evil is a huge risk and they get cold feet by not investing anything

What's the difference between the "hard mode" and the "normal mode"? Is the normal mode insultingly easy? I want a good challenge, but not to die in one hit to monstrosity X, Y, and Z.

You mean 50k? Sauce or you lie.

>Anything beside Street fighter and resident evil is a huge risk
You forgot about Monster Hunter

Basically the japanese games industry in a nutshell.

Monster Hunter is niche-tier, and only the japs really like it. DD was suppose to be Monster Hunter: West Edition but it never caught on.

>DDO in the west when?
Capcom is "currently exploring options" which means "ask us in a year or two".

>You forgot about Monster Hunter
they just release the same game on the same platform, they just cut out some monsters, that makes it HD

Well. According to Capcom the sales were around what they expected for a new IP.

I think their expectations were around 1.5 to 2 million sold all in all.

>You killed the dragon
>You killled the dogma (cultists)
>You killed the god of the world
>You killed the devil

WHAT THE FUCK MORE DO YOU WANT

I actually love the idea of DDO and playan' with friends

Just port the comfy PS4 version to the west, please

easy mode is less damage recieved by enemies when you get hit
normal mode is, well normal
hard mode is more damage recieved but an exponential increase in gold recieved from enemies, it is very common to kill a harpy and get a 10k gold loot bag from it.
it only becomes an issue with bosses, late game and post game
also it serves as a way to restart your story progress for free

that basically means you fucked up one aspect of your character and dont want to lose your gear.

1. play on normal first, beat the game, replay on hard

or

2. play on hard until you hit the casual filter (griffin without fire enchantments, somehow getting 3 chimera on you, the dragon, a drake, other bullshit hard enemies like the giant ass goreclops in bitterblack) then switch to normal.

Only issue I have with DDO is damage numbers on screen, but there's really no helping it since it's an mmo.

At first I absolutely hated the idea of DDO. Especially when they seem to just reskin old monsters to look "new". But at this point I'm so thirsty for more dragons dogma that I'd gladly take this.

Thanks for funding Deep Down, PCbros! :)

>sell tons on console
false
>sell tons on PC
kinda
it only broke 2mil copies combined on consoles and PC

Maybe if this game didn't have a fuckhuge amount of cut content from it, it may have been a classic.

It's a good game that didn't capitalize on many things, nothing else. Also climbing was fun at first but more often it was annoying and not intuitive at all.

Imagine having the option for pawn party instead of players for more casual content. Having an AI bro would be really cool for an MMO, especially if you didn't always have your main pawn with you.

>However he gets a very small share of the profit from every game sold also

I have literally never encountered any instance where this was the case. Bonuses for sales targets are a thing, but devs do not get royalties.

Don't you mean Dragon's Dogma 2: Deep Down?

You've either never played Dragons Dogma, or never played Monster Hunter. Or you've never played either. Regardless, you're fucking retarded anyway. DD and MH have fucking NOTHING in common.

Sure. It's partly being made by Sony Interactive Entertainment though, so no ports.

>weeks
It barely lasted a month. Then every thread started with ''I thought you guys said this game was good but its garbage wtf''.

Honestly, did DD really need a sequel? It just needed a remaster with less cut content and more of what was already there.

>weeks
>barely a month

Yes, and a month is a combination of weeks. There are 4 weeks in a month.

Would you like me to get the calendar?

That'd be great too. But I think a lot of people want a sequel so they can realize all their original ideas. And because DD was a pretty good game so seeing more of it would be neat.

This but then I saw fist mage and I've never wanted anything more.

It just needs an expansion pack that gives us the content cut away from the game.

It would basically be a sequel 2bh

I'd buy an expansion.

Oh yeah, that looked fucking amazing. Finally something new and fresh.

Oh shut the fuck up.

It's better this way, I don't want this becoming the next Souls series. Fanbases do have the power to completely ruin things, don't believe Cred Forums's lies.

>Fanbases do have the power to completely ruin things

This is such a mongoloid thing to believe. Even if Dragon's Dogma 2: Darker and Arisener turned out to be the most vile shit ever, and everyone in the universe but you loving it, it won't make DD1 any worse.

>Run around as a Magick Archer
>Come across one of those metal golems where the medallions aren't part of it
>There's one in a spot you literally can not get to as melee
>Magic doesn't work on them
>Ranger pawn I was borrowing wouldn't do anything but poke the golem
>Spend about 10 minutes trying to draw the golem near it and attempting to scale and leap from it to slash at it with my daggers before giving up and leaving

>be a melee class
>see three Living Armors in my way

Oh yeah

Better to run past some shit than to attempt and fight it

Magic archer was novel until a certain point. I felt that the most rewarding part of playing an archer-class is making those really tricky shots and hitting a large moving enemy at a tiny well-hidden weak spot.

Magic archers attack just home in the general enemy direction, meaning every shot is a hit but very few are actually good shots.

At least there you could have pawns for it.

I like the idea of a magic based archer class.
But yeah, if I did decide to play again, I'd probably go with Assassin and if it can be scaled, only fight it while scaling.

Use Vortex shot, drag it to Melee range, Metal Golems are no longer a problem. Same goes for Mystic Knights, and Sorcerers can just use Maelstrom to drag them into range, or even just High Exequy the Golem if you're persistent.

IMO, magic archer's normal attacks should just fire like a regular bow. Make the abilities special and interesting instead.

It did have advantages though, of course. For example at night you could use the lock-on indicator to count nearby enemies.

They are on to something here. A lot of the normies that surround me have never heard of Dragon's Dogma at all. Which is a shame, because I really wish they'd be inspired to try for a sequel.

But I get a feeling Capcom's become the Resident Evil and Street Fighter factory.

Who the fuck even buys Resident Evil games anymore? It's been 10 years since the last good one.

What would make a decent magick archer? I'm not looking into min maxing, because I know that if you play the whole game as sorcerer you'll get an OP magick archer, but I just want something decent. I want to play as MA as soon as possible instead of waiting till I'm level 200.

My plan so far goes like this: (I'm not sure at all if this'll work) I start the game as a mage and play till level 10, then go for sorcerer and play it till 30. After that play about 10 levels or so as ranger (at first I considered a warrior for damage, but turned out warrior is good for health) for some decent attack, m attack and good stamina. And then move onto MA, so I'll get to play as one around at level 40 or so. Would this be just alright?

This game sucks you fight the same handful of enemies over and over plus the skills fucking suck most of them are just upgraded version of an old skill

If DD had 3x the budget it got then it might have been a good game

Or you could just switch to MA at level 10 since as you said, there is no need to min max.

If anything it will only make the game more fun since it won't be as much of a cakewalk.

People overthink the stat-growth too much in this game.

Honestly, if you're not min-maxing you are NEVER going to feel the effects of your base stats or their growths. These stats are probably only 10% (at most) of your characters actual stats in the game.

That being said, the path you describe is a good one.

So like pretty much every RPG ever?

Well yeah, I could. But a lot of people say MA just straight up sucks without the help of other classes. So I thought a little boost could help me out.

He just has the worst stat growth. But he's still more than playable without switching vocations.

>But a lot of people say MA just straight up sucks without the help of other classes
A lot of people are retarded. Minmaxing is not needed anywhere in DD.

I blame the internet for making me care so much about stat growth. I read a lot of stuff about MA's and everyone seems to think they suck by themselves. Maybe I will pick up MA a bit sooner.

Just play as a Magick Archer from the start. The game is just absurdly easy if you get that magic stat boost from sorcerer coupled with good equipment, so you'll probably appreciate that the game's challenge isn't COMPLETELY gone.

Start as a Fighter
Get Sinew
Play as MK

BAM!
DONE
AUGHT

I actually have a MK character on my PS3. Love that fella, but turns the game into a slide show. I just picked up the game on PC and decided to go for an MA.

I fucking started strider to around 15, then mage then magic archer to 20 and then back to sword-and-board dude and then over to sorcerer after a while.

Fuck I was all over the place and I got through the game just fine.

Maybe they'd actually like to work on it with genuine care rather than shitting out a sequel cause the first one did well.

>sell tons on PC
lol no
it sold over 2 million on PS3 and 1 million on 360 at twice the price, and it still hasn't even broken 500k at HALF the price on Steam

You PCfags need to step up your fucking shitty taste and buy this game already

Also your dumbass probably hasn't realized that Dragons Dogma Online exists and is as close as we have to a sequel right now

>he believes in Steam Spy when their numbers are contradicted all the fucking time by quarterly reports

LOL

They pirate it fucktard. Theres probably double the players, just less than 1/4 of them bought it. Dont forget it was released when Capcom was heavy under the gun of the neckbeard redditard.

And that is more than enough for Capcom.

It's Capcom's best selling PC game.

I can smell the Sonygger from here.

>make your dream game after a decade of waiting
>gets rushed, just like your previous game because the head execs are jerks
>shitload of content gets cut for time again
>finally releases
>barely tops the charts
>critics bag on it for being generic medieval fantasy but cream themselves over Skyrim
>sequel comes in the form of a Jap-only MMO, which is he is not a part of
Being Itsuno must be suffering

>MA Guide
Start as Strider for that stamina boost
Get Sorcerer ASAP and rank up to 10
Switch to MA

It's just a jape friend, just a jape

literally AUGHT: The Game

At least he gets to make DMC5.

i'd like to fund madeline deep down if you get what im sayin'
id totally lay her down and carry that gold idol for that 30% off discount. shit gets expensive late game

literally ALL ROADS LEAD TO GRAN SOREN: The Game

Thanks for the tip friendo, I'm sure my MA will be a masterwork.

FUCK. No I want to do another playthough.

What class should I play.
My latest one was a sorc so none of that.

Haven't done a Fighter. But I feel like I might as well play a sassin' or MK instead and get the same experience but more.

Same with Strider. Is it worth playing an entire class just for brain splitter?

It's time to enter the ranks of men, user.

Play assassin.

On hard mode, I forgot to add.

I don't know. It's been my go to class and next to Ranger the class I've played the most.

My first playthrough was a MK and it was a lot of fun. A magic knight was something I didn't even know I wanted.

Warrior on Hard
OR
Play as a wizard

Then it's time to Magic Knight it up. Defense is the best offense.

>Is Capcom really doing SO well that they can afford to let stupidly profitable products rot?

Its because they're not doing so well, think a little before posting.

One of their main IPs is not doing ok and instead of fixing it they're focusing on "community DLC" meaning they'd rather have a group of people keep feeding them money from costumes instead of actually fixing the game. Meanwhile they're adding things that should've already been in the game from the get go and making a big deal out of it. Most of their other big IPs are on handhelds where production costs are low and even then they're fucking up with the localizations.

If you wanna talk about DD specifically there's even evidence from them: Game is half of what they wanted and they didn't have either resources or budget to complete it. And DD online? "Jap players asked for it" is the official statement meaning they don't care too much about quality, if people ask for shit they'll give them shit while wasting resources better spent on a better cause.

THEY'RE MASTERWORKS ALL

Can this fucking industry just die already?

I've done one game as it. Back in the console era. It was fun, but I felt like i didn't get much out of the mystic part, but that could probably be rectified on a newer play through.

I'm sort of wavering between MK and Strider.

Eh. Never much cared for the warrior. I generally prefer speed to strength. And my latest game was as a sorcerer.

Maybe I will. Any tips for what skills to go for? Last time i played it I pretty much just played it as a warrior with the occasional disco ball launching lag fest.

Haha kys buttmad PCnigger. Your piracy days are dwindling

Fighter and MK are two very different things. I suggest trying both though.
And Striders aren't JUST Brainsplitter, even if it's the most broken ability in the game.

It's Capcom, they are retarded and broke

>no sequel ever

uh.. good? you know they will jew the sequel up anyway.

play assassin fighter since the stat growths complement each other really well

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

Why dont cunts like this get banned for starting a flamewar but if you tell people to kee anime in Cred Forums you sure as fuck do get banned.

Play as a mystic Knight and have all your pawns as Fighters
Go and cleanse the land of all monsters

IF IT HAS A SNOUT, PUT IT OUT

>Fighter and MK are two very different things. I suggest trying both though.
Really? I found it mostly to be a fighter with some enchantments and the occasional spell(mostly because of the long ass spell times, even with articulacy and the ring).

Granted I haven't played much as a high level warrior.

>And Striders aren't JUST Brainsplitter, even if it's the most broken ability in the game.

But what else are they good at? They feel more just like a less useful(brain splitter aside) assassin.

Yeah. Maybe. I've mostly played a dagger assassin. But it's still an assassin and it's very familiar territory.

>tfw your pawn will never be that useful
>he will just spend all his time climbing on random shit doing fuck all because you did it once and he will never ever forget it

Perfect blocks were so rewarding in Dragon's Dogma. Even with the slight boost to the timeframe it never felt like an easy process.

Protip: Hire pawns with knowledge of Golems and they'll fix that problem for you

Alternatively, stop trying to play the game as one class, and switch out. More kills of Golems = more knowledge for your pawns. At the very least your main pawn will be able to shoot the weak points after a few kills

The casting part of the MK is more just utility. Like if your pawns are retarded and not interested in shooting down the griffin or drake that started flying you can do it yourself

I played most of MK using Great Cannon on annoying ranged cunts like Harpies and smacking them enemies around as the bounced about in my repelling field thing. The elemental buffing of yourself, and the element blocking was just icing on the cake

People in this game are too into the mentality of handling everything themselves. They don't put faith in their pawns, which is sad.

Do people even still play Dragon's Dogma? I though it was just some monthly-meme?

hybrid classes are the most fun, barring certain wizard spells that rip a hole in space-time and annihilate everything, but they're also kinda meh compared to more pure classes
am i wrong? like magic archer feels kinda niche or gimmicky even, weak most of the time but godlike on certain fights (using the first magic archer spell to slowly but surely poke a cyclops off a cliff made me laugh my ass off)

To be fair most probably have the wrong inclinations and never did enough post game for their pawns to become true tactical powerhouses who go straight for each enemy's weak point

If some of the pure classes had more skills it would be better. Fighter and Warrior skills were just bland outside of the few useful ones, why would I want 5 different positioning abilities when I could strike and run away instead of being locked in a slow animation?

Magic archers are great when you have to move around a bunch and don't really have time to line up that aim.

They also had something that rained magic arrows down on multiple targets and that did pretty big overall damage.

They're also a really good class in terms of sheer basic attack output.

>be warrior
>archer pawn
>pawn can't stop climbing on enemies
>fight near a cliff
>falls off the cliff with the enemy
>unequip her melee weapon
>pawn just stands there doing nothing
>give her a bunch of inclination potions
>goes potato and just runs in circles
i wonder why people think pawns are retards

that's complete shit though
they were expecting 12 million sales on consoles alone

>proving him right
Hilarious.

>12 million

Really? Source? That's fucking ludicrous if that was what they were actually expecting.

I still play on 360

I'm thinking of getting it for PC since people are still hiring pawns. I detest having to go on gamefaqs to request pawn use for RC. Fuck needing RC to purify BB gear

That being said, someone did actually hire my pawn for a month the other day

It averages about 1k players per day, so yeah it's still pretty kicking for a single player game.

People still hire pawns on PC, but it's not rampant and you'll face more competition.

Spam the pommel bash. It can stagger and knock down large monsters quickly. One or two against a chimera staggers it, keep doing it and it'll fall down. Then you can whack it.

>climbing with a warrior
you're doing it WRONG

>not climbing with every class
>not climbing with Ranger

Step (or climb) up.

Fair enough I've still got some of BBI to clear since I've been taking it slow so I won't bother then

My pawn used to be fairly popular because I did a shameless roleplay as Shirou (who I built into a broken MA) and Saber

Now I've been playing as a MK as Steiner with a Tellah pawn. The Steiner looks exactly alike, love the creation system

>the same Capcom that said RE6 under-performed despite being the best selling RE ever

because Cred Forums is a shithole

The game is a bit weird for me. I'll pick it up, likely do a new character and try to make a cool dude or a waifu and just play relentlessly. I can sit for an entire day playing without pause like I did when I was a teenager. Then I'll do it the next day and the one after that. I can be completely absorbed in it for up to a week then I'll either get bored or real life will get in the way and I won't touch it for a month or two then I'll pick it up and repeat the process

The roleplay pawns tend to "sell" really well in my experience. The quickest way to a good goldmine of RC is to make a pawn that represents something people really like.

I once made a Geralt-looking guy and he got rented out all the time.

Considering how much they put into the game (3.5 campaigns with a fuckton of cut scenes) i think they were just looking to make any profit. It surely was the best selling game in the series but it probably also had the budget of the whole series combined.

That's how it is. It has a little bit of TES-syndrome. Like with every The Elder Scrolls game, they're fun to play relentlessly over a short period.

Then, after a few months, you won't remember what made you quit and then you start the cycle over again.

No cause has yet to be uncovered.

Fans loved it. That should be something, it got shit on everybody besides the video game consumer base which is brushed aside even though their opinions matter most.

What is the mmo like? If it was just Dragon Dogma expect it is online and your pawns are played by a player it could be good.

I am expecting a wow clone with Dragons Dogma slapped on it.

Itsuno just said that he *hoped* it would sell 10 million. Their actual expectations were closer to 1.5-2 mill. Which they succeeded with.

My Adolf got a decent amount of hires.

Not riftslut levels, but better than all my other pawns who where just sort of really generic.

Because all their games cost 70 to 90 dollars each with all their dlc you pretty much need.

It is essentially what you describe. It's not a WoW clone, but it's not very popular, and it's not all that easy to get running in the west (if it's even doable).

But no one cares about or likes MMOs.

>want to love DD
>too many little things bother me

I'd play a sequel just to see if they polish it a bit more

>but it's not very popular

Really? I heard it got pretty decent numbers. At least around the beta.

Nah, Japs are done with it, and the incredibly niche western appeal has been drowned out. It's on life support.

Oh. Pity. I was hoping they would use it's numbers as a stepping point to a sequel.

Didn't it get like a million players at one point?

>It's on life support
Good. When will it finally be put down?

It did, but as mentioned 99% of those people were japs and the japs are quick to move on to the next trendy game. DDO had very little lasting appeal, and it wouldn't surprise me if their down to their last few thousand subscribers.

When is hard to say, but I presume when "costOfServerUptime >= incomeFromSubscriptionsOrCashShop".

Capcom initially had very, very fucking stupid sales goals for Dragons Dogma, they wanted and expected it to pull in somewhere between three million and six million in sales - there was a huge drink about it in the media at the time, remember this was the era of "this game sells three million or the series is dead!" Brought on by EA.

So the initial release of the game was very much a tank as far as capcom was concerned. Subsequent rerelease were successes because little was expected from them

That's sad though, but just goes to show how deadly hubris can be.

Still, this was around the time of Skyrim, right? These open-world fantasy affairs were a hot thing to do.

They probably thought they'd wed their Monster Hunter crowd to the existing Skyrim crowd and producing a stupid amount of money.

Go figure.

Yeah the game is fucking amazing in terms of combat and exploration but it feels unfinished as fuck.

>Spotted the Sonygger
Why the fuck do you dumb fucking cunts ALWAYS insist on shitposting?

You sack of fucking cum.

Yeah game's great. Capcom is fucking retarded for not doing DD2 which would make them a ton of money.

Is there any source for that? From all I've seen they seem to be pretty happy about the sales it had.

>sequel never ever
>Deep Down never ever
>even shitty MMO in the west never ever

What always surprises me is why they didn't BUILD on DD1. They were never going to make Skyrim-sales with a new IP, but 3 million sales total is a great foundation for a series.

DD2 would probably sell even better if Capcom hadn't let the IP fade into obscurity. But of course:
>Capcom
>in charge of making non-retarded decisions

It's a big risk. RPG's take a lot of money and effort. Way more gain for way less effort to just copy paste some 5 year old Monster Hunter assets and sell it for 60 bucks.

True, it's a risk, but don't 3 million sales tell them that people are ready for a series about this?

Like, 12 million (or whatever it was) was such a stupid expectation for the first game in a brand new IP.

Maybe the Jap audience doesn't want a 2nd DD.

Wasn't DD a series mostly aimed at the west anyway? With very western playstyle, locations and art?

The only thing really Jap about it all was the plot that took acid at the end of the game.

>Wasn't DD a series mostly aimed at the west anyway? With very western playstyle, locations and art?
Yes.

Funny how they made a western style game which is tons better than almost every other western made game ou there.

then why is DD:O Japan only?

Because Japs would rather play a shitty f2p MMO (because they love that shit) than get a full sequel to a game they're not really interested in in the first place. It will come to the west eventually.

It's just laziness the on dev's part really and the worry it won't sell enough in Japan.

Because the Japanese aren't up their asses about SJW shit over gameplay and the directors get there by skill of designing videogames, not nepotism. If there weren't already frameworks out there, Todd and people like him couldn't make a videogame. He'd have no fucking idea what tasks to give the player to do, no idea what to do with items. He just copies better games which already figured that all out

I sourced myself and i was off, I must have been thinking of resident evil 6 which they wanted to sell upwards of 6 or 7 million

eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-10-sfxt-dragons-dogma-sales-expectations

xb1.co.uk/features/capcoms-sales-projections-for-dragons-dogma-are-still-too-high/

Expectations for initial release was 1.5 million, it sold 1.3 which capcom was still very pleased by

Dragons Dogma probably just isn't seen as being a big enough return to warrant attention at this time, not when they're trying to wrangle RE into a multi million franchise

In terms of training, which pawn would best suit a assassin?

Obviously having a pawn be the same class is great for teaching them useful things. But what about the hybrid classes?

Whoops that third link should have been this

gamingbolt.com/capcom-reports-sale-numbers-on-dmc-dragons-dogma-and-resident-evil-6

Remember this was back before digital distribution had become as ubiquitous as it is now

But RE has turned to shit. Why are they trying so hard to push a dead series?

What they should be doing is reviving DD.

Inclinations matter more, and it's hard to go wrong with a mage or tank pawn

Prevailing belief is that DD is a niche title which it's sales would seem to suggest is true. RE on the other hand is a broad appeal action thriller horror hybrid that can market saturate. From an executives standpoint, DD is nothing more than a side project.

Please remember Capcom like a lot of Japanese game.developers isn't even primarily in games, they're into pachinko and other pursuits. In particular, the owner of Capcom has several very profitable vineyards. Games are almost an afterthought which is why they haven't gotten as bad as Konami who are doubling down on Pachinko and hopefully to be legalized gambling in order to remain profitable. Every big Japan corp is essentially a multi part conglomerate. I'm not even sure they have the same monopoly and antitrust laws over there.