What happened to the point and click genre?

What happened to the point and click genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html
mateuszskutnik.com/games/
youtube.com/watch?v=0MpxstzZrpw
store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Artifex Mundi
store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=21&publisher=Daedalic Entertainment
store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=21&publisher=Wadjet Eye Games
store.steampowered.com/app/464340/
adventuregamers.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=fpFwrvuaGdc
grumpygamer.com/why_adventure_games_suck
youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1iQGAyWNM
youtube.com/watch?v=Hm4E8TcjF70
oldmanmurray.com/features/71.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's still about. See telltale games / David cage.

I miss it. I really thought Nu-Kings Quest would help bring it back but might as well play Life is Strange.

Plus Obduction if you chose the right control method

I liked Myst and Full Throttle and The Longest Journey. Guess that makes me a misogynist. These days, gamers are too progressive and enlightened to play such foul vessels of oppression and puzzle solving. The point and click genre vastly improved once they got rid of all that pesky pointing and clicking and puzzles and exploration replaced it with lesbians.

they sort of made a comeback lately, but here's a pretty good article about why they died back then: oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

They became what people call walking simulators.

Because most people never completed them and you pretty have to be able to get into the developers head to figure out what the fuck to do.

Also some games would fuck you over if you missed something earlier on.

Gówno.

People probably got tired of them being obtuse bullshit

Even easier ones like Broken Sword are still fucking stupid. I don't think that series had the 'don't use this item or you can't complete the game' but there were plenty of times they'd just lol kill you for no good reason or you'd be wandering around forever talking to people until you realise that one guy needed you to ask him questions like 6 times before he'd do anything

Also that fucking glitch in 2. How did they know about it to put it in the manual but somehow not get rid of it? I so very nearly ran into it, good thing that true gamers read manuals occasionally for fun

It's purely indie now.

You have to actually look in places other than steam.

Holy shit that fucking puzzle, but then again I guess there are plenty more retarded that we already did without even thinking about it

You kind of just went along and interacted with everything, so the direct solution would probably seem utterly stupid read back like that. At least it seems relatively straightforward if you have been picking up everything and trying it all out

Wadjet Eye games saved it.

it's still being made. just no longer with a AAA budget.

>Syberia 3 soon

The Longest Journey is still the greatest adventure game of all time though.

You're right, having grown up with the Lucas Arts/Sierra & co adventure games, we eventually got used to this. Yet it's still a prevalent problem in modern point & click. Pic related, biggest offender I've played lately

I wouldn't have a problem with this new interactive movie approach if the gameplay wasn't so mindless (Telltale) and the stories weren't so stupid (Quantic Dream). I wish some other studio would come along and make a good one.

Plus, apart from the inflatable duck fishing train track thing, the puzzles were all pretty reasonable.

>The Longest Journey is still the greatest adventure game of all time though.

not even close
it was barely an adventure game with few puzzles ranging from way to easy to nonsensically hard

nope
this is the greatest adventure game of all time

I hear it's still pretty active in Europe. However, it's not AAA and doesn't involve guns, so it's considered dead in the U.S.

Didn't Deponia recently get a sequel?

Nothing? It's probably one of the few genres that has remained constantly alive with the passing of time. Only people who are ignorant about the genre and think there's nothing but Telltale now think otherwise.

>puzzle that requires you to turn down the music

They've become the domain of Germans and indies. Try Daedalic Entertainment and Wadjet Eye if you're looking for recent stuff.

> Small talk at the back of beyond
Mah nigga that was the shit
Also proved that having the player type to interact is viable so long as you tell them not to do stupid shit

Too slow for the spastic ADHD ridden general public today

Wow really, I literally just finished playing this for the first time the other day. I took the wits path.

I thought it was okay but I enjoyed Monkey Island 1 more. Note that Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island are the only adventure games I've ever played though, going to try Monkey Island 2 soon.

>tfw no more 2d Broken Sword series

As many faults that Deponia has, I still really like it. Same with the Runaway series. I dunno, both those games take me back.

but broken sword 5 was 2D

Really looking forward to this.

What about that Obduction game?

no, telltale games are all about quick time events, not exploring. you're not in control of anything, you're just watching an interactive movie. it's no different that dragon's lair with dialogue

What i would give for an old school P&C wolf among us game. Being able to explore the city and all that shit.

That's new Telltale games
Older ones like Sam & Max were actual adventure games

I thought Obduction was disappointing. Too easy, too short and not enough information about what was going on.

It's called RTS nowadays senpai

Because it's tedious and non-engaging as fuck? I want to play a vidya not staring at a picture book and clicking around in hope I'll find some bullshit item that'll help me progress only to get stuck again
Literally just 1 step above walking simulators, and don't even try to compare it to the actual puzzle genre

>Nu

Deponia: The Complete Journey (apparently just the first game with extras) is currently on sale for $5 on Steam, and The Silent Age is on sale for $1. It looks like the genre is still working out alright?

Loved Syberia so much.

This guy has been making shit since 2001. His point and clicks are pretty fucking atmospheric, and the music is solid.
mateuszskutnik.com/games/
Not trying to shill, just saying point and clicks still exist, but they're far from being as prominent as they were.

>
Ugh, stopped reading there. Try following a some other new trend, tryhard.

>Try following a some other new trend, tryhard.

Whatever Mario.

>mfw reverse image search OP's image

Whatever reference you made went right over my head

Very cunning.

Damn now I need to get ScummVM installed and relive some classics.

Used to have many of the classics back on my Amiga. It was a bitch that they were like 8 disks and shit, but such good memories

Isn't Ace Attorney point and click?

There are tons of them being made, but nobody buys them anymore because the PC audience changed.

So its not still about then?

technobabylon was good with a logic way to resolve the puzzles, I hate when it's absurd like deponia.
Also I would kill for another gabriel knight.

Came here to post this. You are doing God's work, fancy-pants college boy.

Well, maybe if you bought this, they'd still be making masterpiece point and click games

It went away, thank god.

He's a bit late this time.

point and click games are not fast enough, and require too much thought for today's ADD riddled childern.

Not that they were ever particularly in-depth anyway.

Give me a Darkseed 3.

More than anything I'm shocked that an article from as far back as 2000 used the words "casual gamer" and "autism" as insults. Maybe the guy was just unwittingly ahead of his time.

Still waiting for pic related.

The Germans still make a lot of them.
>Book of Unwritten Tales
>The Raven

this

If your looking for great storytelling and decent point n click mechanic, wadjet eye delivers! well not all of their games but some of them is an absolutely must try. Gemini Rue, Technobabylon and Primordia

Maybe you are living in a 16 year old echo chamber.

Maybe he died 16 years ago and what he perceives as the time between 2000 and now is all just a death hallucination.

It devolved into walking simulators

I would have bought it but I'm not allowed.

>Mateusz Skutnik
I fuckimg love his games, especially Daymare town, atmospheric as fuck.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to play it right now

Anyone played Secret Files or Siberia 1&2?
good games tho

The same thing that is happening to the FPS genre now.
Too much crap because everyone and their talentless mothers think they should make one.

youtube.com/watch?v=0MpxstzZrpw

That's the point he was making. You may be able to solve it by using every item with every other and clicking on everything, but then that ruins the point of it being a logic puzzle. If the logic is so nonsensical to be moon logic there's no using the rules of the real world to solve it.

Some puzzles are so contrived too.this one was obviously a "let's turn 1 item you need into 4 items" type of puzzle. No logic, only tedium.

Who is this semen demon

Technobabylon would trigger most of this board.

Secret Files 1 was great.
2 was meh.
Stopped halfway through 3.

pretty much its only selling point was humour. you can do humour in any genre now

Syberia games are super comfy. Playing them feels like reading a good book

The other guy behind the old lucas arts games, Ron Gilbert, is making a classic scumm game. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have loved every game in the Book of the Unwritten Tales series.

Well worth the money and time

Damn that's a good article.

It will prolly get away with it because its cyberpunk

Has anyone here played "Kelvin and the Infamous Machine"?

How is it?

Technobabylon was excellent

Primordia, on the other hand, was shit.

As was Shardlight

Reminder that this will come out some day, eventually.

I played the first Secret Files and the first Siberia. Pretty sure I didn't finish either of them but I got farther in Secret Files. Boring games, in my opinion.

Shills

>Would
There's been at least two threads on Cred Forums about point and clicks where someone loses their shit and cry about Technobabylon being SJW shit and how anyone who likes it is a shill.

Are the sequels to longest journey any good?

When the fuck is this Full Throttle remaster coming? Did Schaeffer lie again?

Pretty shitty return on investment. This is the first point and click thread I've seen in months.

Oh shit. I should have probably looked at the thread before I shilled it to see if anyone else shilled it first. How embarrassing!

Seriously, though, everything that has been shown about Thimbleweed Park looks awesome. I'm all for a spiritual sequel to the Maniac Mansion games with a detective spin. I'm ready to use everything with everything.

Nothing?

KRZ?

There are still some decent point & click adventure games going around, but they are all "serious" games that tackle serious plots and serious themes. I just like the adventure games that are silly, like Monkey Island, Sam n' Max, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Artifex Mundi

Wellllllllllllllllll yes and no. Puzzles are largely gone from the sequels. Dreamfall added combat and stealth, neither of which was a good idea. Chapters removed combat and stealth, so it's down to being a walking simulator with the occasional easy puzzle. Story-wise, Dreamfall was sort of interesting for abandoning the more traditional composition-of-opposites thing from The Longest Journey in favor of more credible problems (corporate control in Stark, and an ambitious empire in Arcadia). Chapters has pretenses to the same but can't keep them up, I guess Ragnar doesn't know how to unwind complex plots, so the plot collapses back into The Longest Journey, which has its ups and downs.

This.

Tormentum and Fran Bow were good too.

It died because gameplay wasn't very good.

>hidden object games
get out

>talking about a game is shilling

Its still around you just need to look
Its a very niche market now after the Tim Shafer events the genre really took a blow.

Some of the more recent point and click games that came out and I found fun were;
Deponia/new Broken Sword/Black Mirror 3/new Kings quest

How good is this? I heard great things but never got around to it.

Art style reminds me of that old game Out of This World, I think it was called? Definitely tickles the nostalgia.

nothing

it's still pretty alive afaik

one of my favorite is csgo

Laggy ass point n click games with shitty voice acting and plots are very popular for tablets. My younger sister plays that shit on the iPad all the time

Kids these days will never know real Point n Click kinography....

>their last game came out in 2012

Yup

Hiro should word filter all these new memes.

It is alive, and well.

store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=21&publisher=Daedalic Entertainment

store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=21&publisher=Wadjet Eye Games

store.steampowered.com/app/464340/

I use this site to keep track of adventure game news, there's plenty going on and many games getting released

adventuregamers.com/

I know one dude who gushed about it but I never tried it personally.

On the one hand, many puzzles were obtuse specifically to drive the sales of hint books

On the other hand, some morons couldn't solve even a simple puzzle and then blamed Roberta Williams for their stupidity.

Is your pic related worth playing?

Do you think Cred Forums will shit on this game because it tries to be cinematic, unlike the two that came before it? Regardless of what everyone else thinks, I'm pretty excited for it. I just played through the first two for my first time earlier this year.

How has no one mentioned The Dream Machine? If you haven't played it yet just do yourself a favor and do it. The start of the first chapter might feel a bit dated, cuz it's made like 7 years ago. Shit gets real though and the puzzles feel refreshingly innovative.

The two before it were really cinematic. The gameplay mechanics were simple, but overall they were really, really easy, and people mostily love the aesthetics

youtube.com/watch?v=fpFwrvuaGdc

>Roberta Williams

Wow, right in the nostalgia

>tfw playing king's quest 1 on my apple IIc
>meet family of starving peasants
>have magical refilling soup bowl
>fill the bowl as they gaze at me in awe
>eat the soup right in front of them instead of giving it to them
>lose points and chastised by the game for being such a right cunt

Being cinematic shouldn't matter for a point and click, The first two and some pretty cinematic scenes, It's not like you can fuck up point and click gameplay.

Truly Sierra was the originators of TECHNOLOGY

>It's not like you can fuck up point and click gameplay.
Pixel hunting and overly obstuse puzzles can ruin them.

It became too easy to make games, so now there is too many of them and most of them are shit.

So people don't know about the good ones anymore, which gives off an air of the genre being dead or abandoned, which really couldn't be further from the truth.

Pixel hunting in a 3D game
>obtuse puzzles
Only shit games in the 90's and early 00 had them

Blackwell series is recent and pretty good.

italians say a before shit when theres no point, mario is italian, what are you a not getting my friend

I only play them when I'm ill because they are the comfiest genre.

Lots of newer adventure games have shitty obtuse puzzles, user.

That will never go away.

There seems to be plenty of point and click games. Don't know what people talk about when they say the genre is dead. My problem with the genre is that few games manage to have puzzles that i enjoy and the slow pace of these games really makes it vital for the story/dialogue to be really good. I enjoyed Deponia and the Dark Eye games mostly for their stories since their puzzles were up and down. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes had really nice puzzles. Really love it when the puzzles are self contained and not built on you having to go around and pick up random stuff that somehow is related to something you are supposed to do.

The concept of pixel hunting is the same.

Tiny things that are hard to make out from the background.

Gotta comb the whole screen to see if anything is even there.

There might be hope for Thimbleweed Park, after all it's by Ron Gilbert, and that guy knows his shit.
Here he's talking about the article I posted earlier and what makes a good adventure game: grumpygamer.com/why_adventure_games_suck

If we bought this Homestarrunner might still be alive.

>Gotta comb the whole screen to see if anything is even there.
I bet you loved the addition of everything labelled on the screen to Broken Sword. It's a mystery game, Part of a mystery is finding shit.

too difficult to monetise

Please get out.

will there be another game as aesthetic as Machinarium?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1iQGAyWNM

Get the fuck out.

It's a thread about adventure games.

If we can't be enthusiastic about one written by Ron Gilbert then just what the fuck CAN we post in this thread?

But I did buy it user.

I really want to play that game, but I also REALLY want it to be finished before I do so.

when the fuck are they going to finish this shit

>oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html
Good article

Everything is wrong with Deponia though.

Dude, avoid talking about the problem if you like, I'm not actually your enemy here.

There's a less than fine line between "the fun of finding shit" and going through a barrage of stuff that all looks clickable but isn't, to find one thing that you can't even make out what is supposed to resemble until you click it at its name is revealed.

So actually thinking about what might be useful given your current situation?

Yeah that must be torture for some people.

adventure games have always largely been shit famalamadingdong

It's just back in the day, there wasn't as much variety in gaming genres as there is now, so they were popular

What made them shit was the fucking retarded humor that a lot of them went for
>leisure suit larry
>monkey island
>anything by tim shafer

and being less about the puzzle and more about what crazy antics you had to go through in order to "solve" the "puzzle"

Good adventure games know how to pull off atmosphere and the difficulty doesn't come from using every item on every object but actually applying logic to the puzzle to solve it. A good example is syberia. It still has an intriguing story, but the puzzles are well done and the world is genuinely interesting.

I hated Syberia when I was a kid, should I give another try?

OH MY GOD, A THREE HEADED MONKEY?? LMAO!! the humor in these games is their saving grace

;^)

monkey island and tim shafer p+c games were fucking terrible, even as a kid I thought the humor was absolutely retarded shit only my grandparents or the mentally disabled would laugh at

They are visual novels now.

See: Danganronpa, Zero Escape

Fulltrothle is always going to be in a special place in my heart.

Not all adventure games are P&C, I would say the greatest adventure was LBA2

Is Amanita making a new game?

I see what's lacking in the genre.

Anime. VNs are not interactive enough and this is the perfect gap. Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa (to a lesser extent) more than proved that an audience exists.

I think it's up to the weebs to revitalize it.

read: turn it into waifu wank bullshit

Siberia had great atmosphere and some good but weird puzzles. Not sure I'd call them good games but interesting enough.

>anime

dead

>I hate when it's absurd like deponia.
Every puzzle in Deponia makes sense though.

The point of them didn't click with the audience.

This will explain why the genre died.

I love Syberia but I hope that 3 has an option for faster movement, watching the pc walk very very very slowly across the screen got annoying at times.

Same thing that happened to every B tier genre.

Indies killed it by being faggots.

That one seemed obvious to me since they outright say that the background music is too loud and I think Rufus even mentions the settings.

>What happened to the point and click genre?
Turns out game play is actually pretty fun.

So is Sam and Max done?

>(apparently just the first game with extras)
It's the first three games

Who cares, watch COMPUTER MAN

youtube.com/watch?v=Hm4E8TcjF70

Still going just fine.

Yeah putting wasabi on a toothbrush to get a sock make sense

It's good, but don't expect puzzles, it only has a few and it's more about narrative and atmosphere. Don't let that put you off though, it's well worth playing, based on the first three acts.

(you)

They made Samorost 3, which is the best point and click made in years

The problem is that it's made by Germans and Germans love their fucking LOLSORANDUMBXDD humor

Night of the Rabbit was pretty damn good.
Deponia was not good, i couldn't stand the MC so it kinda ruined my experience of the game.

oldmanmurray.com/features/71.html
>No One Lives Forever: two cowardly scientists cowering in front of some nondescript sciencey stuff. As a kind of a scissor-action attachment to the olive branch for extra peaceful penetration, the scientist on the left looks Jewish to me.
Top kek

>Toothbrush running around like a scared animal
>Have mousetrap
>Try and use it on toothbrush
>Rufus says it needs bait
>Have wasabi peas that he intends to use as trip rations
>Use food on trap
>Use baited trap on toothbrush
WOW HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO FIGURE THAT OUT SO HARD!

Fun is a buzzword. Everything can be fun.