Why japanese can do gay characters right and not obnoxious?

Why japanese can do gay characters right and not obnoxious?
Are there any good canon gay characters in vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

rule34.paheal.net/post/view/1523269#search=pit tekuho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kanji from Persona 4, except for what happens on the Midnight Channel which isn't really him

The Ballad of Gay Tony is my favorite grand theft auto episode, at least once you get good at flying helicopters.

>Juzo is a gay character done right
>Only reason he was gay was so he could help ruin the entire world
A gay character done right would just be a dude that likes dicks in his free time.
Not a guy that ruins the entire fucking planet because his friend might find out he framed a picture of him.

He was gay?

t. Faggot

Why not?

RIP

Kanji isn't gay

what a unique art style! i can tell right away that character is from danganronpa just from his pants.

But that is something a gay would do

>A gay character done right would just be a dude that likes dicks in his free time.
Because fuck people with actual human emotions. Everyone should just be filthy hedonists.

Emil is probably my favorite canon homo.

Is it inaccurate for someone who lets their whole life revolve around a sexual fetish to be a hedonist?

Is Fang (FFXIII) a dyke?

She is perfect.

> It's "a good faggot is only a good faggot if he don't have any trait that shows you he's a faggot while a hetro can be as sexually active as they want without anyone bitching" thread
Why not just stop playing pretend (or start, if you're into that kind of stuff) and admit you get asburgers when you're around faggots?

>Kanji's gay meme

Did you completely miss the entire point of Kanji's character?

Arcade from New Vegas is pretty good. He has a lot of characterization, has a great back story, and him being gay is only brought up when you directly ask something related to that. Otherwise he talks about pertinent shit.

He's a character first, his sexuality is second.

Why japanese can do female main characters right and not obnoxious?

Dorian from the DA:I is the same
But Cred Forums hates him

Why didnt they pick the girl next to MC instead? She looks much better

>Touko
>kirigiri
>right and not obnoxious

She looks like generic garbage
Do you want another naegi?

That's because Bioware shoved him down everyone's face as the "first fully gay party member" months before DA:I came out.

The character himself was okay.

F

This MC looks far more generic than her.

Mainly because his entire character was defined by his sexuality when the game was coming out. Literally all I ever heard about him was he was a mage and he was THE FIRST GAY CHARACTER GAIDER GOT TO WRITE, ISN'T IT AMAZING?

In game he's alright. I wouldn't say he's particularly interesting, but he's okay. But goddamn Bioware didn't do the character any favors when they talked about him. Also, Cred Forums just hates DA:I in general since it's a pretty bad game.

arguably arcade gannon
Gay Tony

Because real japanese women are obnoxious.

>manletbot

These designs feel like a fangame, I hope I can get used to these quickly.

twintails > MC > witch hat > brown slut > smug > biker junko > maid > glasses

No, she isn't

>kirgir
>Not fucking perfect

poofters are obnoxious, OP

She has disgusting hands so no.

She wears cool gloves anyway

>detective who doesn't do shit and just lets protagonist solve murders, because otherwise average japanese player will feel insecure
>not shit tier

Because they don't try to push agendas, they are gay and that's it

>implying she wasn't solving every single mysteries ahead of you

If you fail it's game over, so no she never solved mystery
And d3 confirmed what even nigger girl is smarter than her

>Could have prevented multiple deaths if she had
>Broken monitors
>Explored the secret exit
>Asked someone where the power shutdown button was
>Told people to stop going to sleep in rooms with monitors
>Was competent during DR0 and exposed Junko

Because they think of them as regular people and not a freakshow attraction like bioware does

Is this bait or you're that dumb?

literally JUSTIFYING destroying the whole world because muh feelings

kill yourself you actual faggot

F

I really, really, really like this meme.

>japanese characters
>not obnoxious

You can't be perfect and dead

What about Chiaki?

fresh oc

Which hot meme is this?
Should I try it?

my nigga

suicide?
Please do

aright sounds dope

>Kanji isn't gay meme
Some of his dialogue definitely implies that he is attracted to men.

BISEXUAL PRINCE

Yes, being subtle is a key part to being a good character.
Straight guys who constantly talk about wanting to fuck girls USUALLY aren't good characters either, not that they really exist much either.

Who J U Z O B O Y

So much sameface.

The Japanese are more concered with writing actual characters, while Western devs just make a "total faggot" character like out of some American comedy film and are done with it.

There's nothing wrong with arbitrarily deciding which characters are gay in your fiction, really, because sexual orientation IS arbitrary as fuck. But the (modern) West just can't write good characters for the most part.

>The Japanese are more concered with writing actual characters

IS THERE ANYONE

It's the truth!

Because every character they make is obnoxious, so no one notices.

No, it's not
Japanese characters are bland as fuck, even more than western ones

No it's not.

East has plenty of shit characters and popular shit characters.

West has plenty of well-written characters among their shit characters and popular shit characters.

You're making a generalization based on your preference, and you sound like an idiot.

So you're saying that quality is hard to find in both East and West?!

>even more than western ones
Not true!

No, it's not hard to find in either.

JUZO IS THE 3RD WORST
THE 3RD WORST

Although his death scene was pretty sad.

>3RD WORST
4th
>Kirigiri
>Sweets girl
>Asahina
>Juzo

I guess not, if you know where to look.

Japanese people are based as fuck and remember days when they lived with gay culture
They remember and understand gay people, good and bad.

LeeRoy on Guren Lagaan was a great homo character. Overtly effeminate.
I was taken off guard when he creeped on the little boy.

I was dying watching Gintama, Gin jokes that a character might not be into girls then jokes that he must be gay after seeing his Dad dressed as a woman.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a flamboyant homo doing over the top shit in my serious game. If the game has comedic tones then I won't mind it.

I can tell he's from danganronpa because he looks like shit

F

actually teared up when she wouldn't fucking stay down jesus fuck

Nothing about Future Arc is right, user.

>Juzo
>done right
lol no. He was a stupid queer who probably got off punching other man instead of being true to himself. Bitch got what he deserved.

>Kanji
>gay

He is just a confused straight boy.

Miller from DXMD

He wouldn't bottom for Tatsuya.

Not really feeling the character designs this time

MGS4 made Ocelot an exceptionally boring character, though. The only thing Ocelot had going for him that made him even remotely interesting is that he was a shady manipulator. The goals and motivations he turned out to have are pretty dull.

>Being gay is a tiny part of his character and barely mentioned in the game
>Is remember as "the gay dude from P2"

I hate this!

LMAO, GAY PEOPLE

To be fair, his sexual orientation was probably the second biggest reason Innocent Sin didn't get localized the first time.

>being true to himself.

jesus christ this game looks like shit
>the guy clipping through his shorts in the background

> there are people on Cred Forums right now who want to be that Manlet Bot

That's his hand you mongloid

Then why is he blushing?

>while a hetro can be as sexually active as they want without anyone bitching
But that's wrong you giant cocksucker. That's when people bitch about lazy frat boy archetypes.

What?

sure user, that's just his hand between his legs. he's also an amputee, i guess

Pretty sure the reason he is is because he is considered canon love interest to Tatsuya by the fan community due to basically trolling developers hinting it then going back on it then back on hinting it.

Also the simple reason he is remembered for it is that he looks like a giant fucking flaming faggot of a fujoshit bait. Which is what they were intending to anyways.

>implying she's dead

>he looks like a giant fucking flaming faggot of a fujoshit bait
Pretty sure it's just stuff like Utena being popular. People loved the rose wielding pretty boy archetype at the time.

Japan doesn't really freak out when a character isn't an obvious male power fantasy.

Taro Yoko said that Emil was gay for Nier, but he never confessed his feelings. It never comes up in the game directly.

Plus, Nier was either a middle aged father or a teenaged brother.

Nah, it actually -was- a fujoshit bait. The character designer admitted it, and said he regretted the choice deeply and would aim to avoid it in future entries.
Why they then made basically "Oh Look It's Jun With A Katana" in P5, though, who knows.

Source?

I liked Ishimaru better

Potter gets a job at a gay bar and consoles men about their problems. Also admires Lala for her work ethic there.

They don't like those guys cause they're jerks.

Vivec

I'm still mad about Munehisa.

Its brother Nier he likes. Papa Nier was too old by the time they met. If he was younger Emil would have loved him too.

Nah he likes both. It's just stupid and weird in the papa nier version because the feelings weren't written with papa nier in mind. Just like everything in the game really.

That seems a bit weird. Emil's like 12. Doesn't mean he can't love Nier I guess, but eh...

Emil is over a thousand years old

Will is a fag.

Uh. Emil is well beyond 1400 years old. Roughly 100K years old in Automata by now, I guess.

He loves pussy. It's waiting for him at home too.

>Taro did immortal shotas twice
Absolute madman

>implying twice

Four times.
Darkengard 1-2, Drakengard 3, Nier and Automata. (Shota automata also immortal aside from Emil.)

Oh yeah, that's true.
But at least mentally he's still a kid though, right? Not to mention appearance-wise.

Again, there's really nothing weird about it I guess, but I never imagined that he likes Nier as more than just a father figure. It just doesn't fit my idea of him and hwta is shown in the game!

Also, Automata takes place that far into the future? That's a crazy timejump. But craziness is what Drakengard is about, huh.

Who were the ones others than Emil and the twin from D1?

The pigeon

Fuck sake, he's not gay

Who? I only played like a third of D3.

Didn't you watch the despair arc?

One and Brother-One share similar capabilities. And the playable shota in Automana is, well. An Automata.

Nightmare googles meme

Y'all so afraid that he is just because you indentify with his issues, I bet.
He gay.

how is kanji NOT gay?

I don't get why people say Juzo's gay.

He was just close to Munakata and Junko tried to make people think he was gay.

I mean, weren't you ever close to another man in a completely non sexual way?

They're just bros, man, you need to stop saying I'm gay already.

I actually didn't know there were other playable characters in Automata. I've been avoiding everything about it since I knew it would bring in letsplay/platfags.

I'll just buy it when it comes out.

So i just got virtue's last reward and im about to start. English audio or japanese audio?

Shut up, Juzo. You're too dead to talk back

JP
Now get out before you get spoiled

The only good fags are sissy gyaru sluts

Junko is the ultimate analyst, she analyzed the situation and deduced Juzo is gay

>I don't get why people say Juzo's gay.
What's Kurata doing on Cred Forums?

Take your denial shit elsewhere, bro. We talking men here.

This is exactly the wrong kind of homo, please die.

>The character designer admitted it, and said he regretted the choice deeply and would aim to avoid it in future entries

The only person I remember that called Jun fujoshi bait was Hashino, which is irrelevant because he didn't work and 2 and seems to hate it.

Your denial and closetting only makes my dick harder for true manmeat.

>Drakengard 3
I didn't even think there were males at all in D3.

What was the shota's name?

You're right user. Because only guys can truly understand the bonds that men share. This series has even highlighted this before. It's only right that women could never understand.

>shota is w-weird!
>It doesn't fit my idea of ____!
You're from tumblr, aren't you?

>manmeat

Hey I'm the user who asked for source. So he's totally full of shit? I keep seeing people write off Jun as fujobait but then I played the game and he was a pretty good character.

No.

I don't like shota though, yeah.

>queers
>lethal injection

Pick two.

I don't follow Ishimaru x Mondo, but Juzo is 100% gay.

Muh fucking dick.

Hey if you want to off flamboyant queer dudes that's totally cool on my book. Leave the bros with a taste for dick behind.

>P-PLEASE REPLY TO ME PLEASE! SOMEONE GET MAD! FUCK, WHY AREN'T YOU GETTING MAD!? REPLY TO MEEEEEE

I wouldn't mind putting my sword in his sheath.

>I don't like shota though, yeah.
What're you, gay?

Hes attracted to someone that he is convinced is a man

Hes bi

you think manipulating his own mind to keep the man he loves safe while throwing the whole world off their trail is boring?

My friend can I get a source on this image? I am very interested in why this young man is covered in melted ice cream.

I'm an effeminate guy myself, and I like traps and shit. But not shota!

I'll give it to you but next time read the filename.
rule34.paheal.net/post/view/1523269#search=pit tekuho

I'm glad someone said it, I'm fairly certain ocelot is written as a homosexual, he even says at one point in MGSV that he was "in love with the legend"

Ocelot is gay. I'm p. sure.

He's attracted to Naruto.

Thank you, sir. I promise to do better in the future.

>been wanting to get into drakengard for a couple years now
>putting it off due to backlog and seeing almost entirely mixed reviews
>this boy

I guess I'll have to make the jump and just play them, huh

>Source?

He's full of shit, Kaneko actually said Jun was his favorite pairing and Tadashi said it's up to the player who Tatsuya liked.

That's neat. Is Kaneko gay?

yeah, I think that comment shifts ocelot from "heavily implied" homo to full on homo

Kanji likes activities that are considered feminine. Cooking, cleaning, knitting, sewing, etc. So because he liked that shit, all of his friends, his mom's friends, etc. They all called him gay constantly. To get away from this, he started acting like a tough guy to overcompensate, but he never stopped loving the feminine shit.

If enough people call you gay, you start to wonder. And then all of a sudden he's attracted to this pretty fem dude, and he's REALLY confused.

But the truth is. He likes girls. He might also like guys, but he likes girls.

What he likes to do for fun does not determine his sexuality.

>I'm glad someone said it, I'm fairly certain ocelot is written as a homosexual, he even says at one point in MGSV that he was "in love with the legend"

We knew it ever since before MGSV, I think Kojima even confirmed it a couple of times.

Thoose three fellas right here.

Just normal people with their own goals, they just have the kink of liking the same chromosome.

Except if you are heavily into someone you can by all means believe is a dude, the person suddenly turning out to have a vagina doesn't change the fact you thought "hey, that's a dude. I would like to stick my penis in it."

That pretty much is a confirmation of bisexuality. Drifting away from it is simply convincing oneself of reasons to deny it.

All that "accepting his feminine interests" stuff is just leading to him not being afraid to get railed in the ass anyways. What an overrated boring character.

I love how Transistor was "gays ruin everything": the game

"I'm normally not into dudes but something about the pretty dude is doing it for me OH WAIT IT WAS A GIRL IN DRAG THE WHOLE TIME"

Does not make you gay.

Also liking the prettiest of dudes is hardly ultra gay.

Did you not read his dialogue? He basically says that he's interested in Naoto because she's not a guy. He was able to be confortable around her because she was a convincing male to the group, and Kanji has a lot of trouble talking to women outside of the main p4 cast. This is why he likes Naoto, not because he thinks she is a guy, but because he's comfortable around her and was confused as to why he was attracted to her in the first place. It's the complete opposite of liking guys.

Actually user, someone can have XY chromosomes and still be effectively a woman, and vice-versa!

You can still like cooking, knitting, and other feminine traits and still be gay. Kanji didn't like that he was ridiculed as a child for liking those things so he put on a manly facade to try and hide it.

Kek

How can you even tell really? Every single character in eastern media looks like a gigantic faggot.

Did you not play the game at all or something?
The first three times Kanji gets a massive boner for Naoto he literally
a) Sees her from afar.
b) Exchanges literally two sentences with her.
c) Sees her exchanging words with the MC.

What other shit they rallied in to cover the bisexuality obviety in hopes of making it a deeper issue than it actually is simply accounts for the game's overall shitty writting to the character's "deep teenager issues".

Kanji was afraid of girls because they would make fun of him for having girly hobbies, and so he became fixated on being manly, and because manliness=gay in Japan, we got his dungeon. He's was a little confused when he didn't know Naoto was a girl, but he's very clearly attracted to girls, so stop THIS MOTHERFUCKING MEME REEEEEEEEE

>So he's totally full of shit?

I don't if totally, but I know for certain Hashino did say that.

Also I know that Kaneko, possibly jokingly, supports Tatsuya x Jun as canon.

Not in the eyef of gawd

Apparently I did play it because I know for a fucking fact that Kanji isn't gay because he fucking alludes to it in the main fucking story. All rhise reasons you stated are precisely why he's confirmes not gay in the first place, it basically confirms to him that he liked Naoto because she was a woman.

Man you are in some deep turbodenial if you can't even get basic shit like this through your head.
Whatever floats your boat mate, just. Whatever floats your boat.

You can like all of those things and /not/ be gay, too.

And in the end Kanji liked a boyish looking girl.

Which makes him bisexual at "worst."

"guy who likes gay things turns out to be gay" is also a lot weirder message than "Your hobbies don't have shit to do with your sexuality and also don't let others tell you who YOU are." but that's just me.

Not him but "just be comfortable with yourself" is the entire message of his arc.

He's a gay character done wrong. His gayness ended the world

>Your hobbies don't have shit to do with your sexuality and also don't let others tell you who YOU are.
You know this message can still work if you see Kanji as gay, which was the point I was making. Your likes don't decide your sexuality, which was something Kanji was afraid of. The whole point of his social link was to not hide from the things he likes to do and accept himself.

Also this.

>gays can't have flaws
tumblr pls go

That's fair.

However, then isn't his sexuality "ambiguous"

He clearly shows signs of getting all hot and bothered by Junpei, and Akihiko at one point in the arena games, not to mention making a chocolate for Yu during Valentine's day, which was something only the other female characters did, and he gets offended when Yosuke and Teddie butt in and say they all made it for him. And that pic I posted earlier from the PQ wedding scene. I guess he could be at least bi, but he's definitely not straight.

>ambiguous
Sure I can get behind that. It's like Tatsuya and Jun. It's "your" choice.

I just think they just got too scared to make Kanji full on gay imo. I mean they didn't even have "fujobait" to fall back on with Kanji so all he'd do is make the teen boys who thought he was badass feel uncomfortable. Plus with them apparently opting out of Yosuke being a possible gay link I think there's a lot of evidence that they "didn't want to go that far".

Ok well, here's my thing:

As someone who is gay as fuck but likes the pussy, Kanji as a gay-but-not-but-still-kinda-is character really speaks to me.

So where you see "too-scared-to-go-full-gay" I see "interesting-take-on-sexuality-that-also-speaks-to-my-ego"

Oh well I'm bisexual too. It's just how I interpreted his character. But then I'm usually not looking for characters in fiction to reaffirm my ego, no offense.

You wanna fuck?

Nah I got a bf. How's your sex life, user?

>sending in an application to kink.com

That's nice, user. Fucking weirdo.

Was there anyone who could even remotely control him?

faggot

Munakata

only in bed

Remember that one time Japan wrote a transexual with 3 personas of different sexes?

That was fun.

Junko. Did you not watch the episode?

They're not by any means main or important characters but Elder Scrolls Online does gay NPCs right. In a later DC quest zone you can run into a male Wood Elf who asks you to look for his husband. Then you go find his husband and you know what the important part of his character is? That he's a werewolf. Flaming or just subtle enjoyer of dicks, just make them characters.

what if these two fucked?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

>I'm not gay
>that guy's super cute
>I really like that guy
>I kinda wanna ask that guy out
>OH YOU'RE NOT A GUY
>GOOD COS I'M NOT GAY OR ANYTHING I DON'T LIKE GUYS AHAHA A HA HAH

are you trying to cover something up? that is literally textbook gay.

>being attracted to a woman is textbook gay
Yeah, okay user.

you seem to be ignoring the part where he was attracted to what he thought was a guy
the fact that he was still attracted to her after he found out it was a chick makes him bi.

So someone like Nauto would have a feminine facial structure and her voice wasn't even fuckin' deep or anything. Lips, cheekbones, etc, would all be girly as fuck.

Now, you're Mr. Masculinity, or in this case, Mr. "I have no idea what I am."

"Oh fuck, I am attracted to this person, and I believe they are the same sex as I am. Oh this is a strange thing. I mean I can ignore it or I can pursue it. It's weird I am not attracted to Yosuke though and he is also a boy. For some reason this specific person who is a boy and only this person so far in my life is the only boy I like. Do I accept this and call myself gay, tell me friends and family i am gay because I like this boy? Do I even like him? These emotions are conflicting. OH YOU HAD A VAGINA THE WHOLE TIME. IT WAS YOUR SUBTLE FEMININE FEATURES THAT MY BRAIN WAS TELLING ME I WAS ATTRACTED TO THE WHOLE TIME. OH GOOD THING I DIDN'T INSTANTLY COME OUT AS GAY BECAUSE THE GUY WAS ATTRACTED TO TURNED OUT TO HAVE A VAGINA"

Sex is complicated.

Likely Kanji has a fetish for tomboys.

Hey, user, if you liked a girl with small tits and short hair, it wouldn't be gay, even if you thought they were a boy. If, upon discovery of their vagina, you were repulsed, you are gay. If, upon discovery of their vagina, you were RELIEVED, you are straight, or bisexual, or you have a genderbendy fetish.

But thoughts don't matter. You don't tell your brain to dig on this chick or that chick. It's all Mr. Penis and Mr. Penis isn't going to be fooled by Pvt. Lee Lemon.

>But thoughts don't matter
retard alert

Fuck this, give me some examples of BAD gay written characters in Vidya.
I'm genuinely curious because I can't remember any specifically since I don't play bioware games like a tool.

STEEEEEEEVE from Mass Effect 3

>Implying you decide what your type is
It ain't a conscious thing, fucking idiot. Do you will all your boners to life? No. No you don't.

yes? otherwise it means your subconscious is gay.

The only good vidya gay is Strangelove because that actually matters to her character and the story

I mentally blocked that guy out
what a boring man

Volgin is kinda 2D, his sexual deviousness seems to only exists to make the player uncomfortable around him.

I think he's a cool character in some ways but him being gay is only used for a single gag that honestly isn't all that funny or needed.

Strangelove is a great character because her being homosexual is part of her character, not shoved in your face, and not used as an excuse for a character.

what's even more interesting is that even though she is hardcore lesbian, she fucks Huey to have a kid.

He was just an overpowering asshole. Male or woman he would take someone if he wanted them and make them his. This is who he was as a character overall. I think that small detail made him pretty cool and memorable as a bad guy.

And him grabbing snake's dong was a 100% serious scene.

I bet you think fapping to traps doesn't make you gay either right

it's interesting how kojima has (relatively) a lot of tact and nuance about ocelot and strangelove being gay, and then turns around and puts volgin and some of the shit with kaz in the exact same games

I guess it's just his immature sense of humor that always has to show up one way or another

read Volgin is a completely fine character. You're just a pleb.