Who else here thinks the achievements are a fucking disgrace and that games should be given cheat codes like back in...

Who else here thinks the achievements are a fucking disgrace and that games should be given cheat codes like back in the day. Nobody gives a fuck about your shitty milestone, I want to go back to the days where I could do stupid shit with the konami code.

Achievements are nothing but a false sense of achieving something in life. You have no fucking life you piece of shit underage neet. When I unlock achievements I think "Oh wow its fucking nothing...".

When I enter cheat codes, I think "This is fucking hilarious and fun. Man I love cheat codes"

So tell me what fucking faggot or womyn decided that we need these so called "acheivements" in videogames?

>So tell me what fucking faggot or womyn decided that we need these so called "acheivements" in videogames?
People in suits and the focus groups that loved it.

No I don't give a shit if achievements exist or not. I don't see a correlation between achievements and cheats.

I agree, normies don't. That's all that matters to developers.

>Nobody gives a fuck about your shitty milestone
some autists does
achievements can be fun sometimes tho
I had a blast while unlocking them in dark souls
for the most part they're shit

Generally, Achievements are just a gateway to making challenge runs when done right. Example: Deus Ex Human Revolution Pacifist and Silent runs. They give you ideas and help you enjoy the game further by going for some of them.
A bad example of achievements is when you award them for doing more or less everything.
>Congrats, you killed this Tutorial boss you gotta kill anyway! Here's a cookie
That's bad and is just endorphin triggering for no reason. Give me shit that could be quantified as an achievement instead of that trash.
>Congrats, you dedicated an inordinate amount of time to grinding this thing out, here's your badge proving it!
That's the only acceptable way of quantifying achievements, stuff that you have to actually go out of your way and do.

That said though, Achievement systems outside a game are bad. The best system is internal "Challenge" systems and you get in-game rewards for doing stuff (usually that doesn't break the game is preferred.)

Achievements have replaced cheat codes, most games disable acheivements (like you actually give a shit) for cheating.

In what fucking universe is that fun? You get absolutely ZERO reward for completing an acheivement, just a gold badge.png that gives you nothing in game. It's fucking useless and worst cancer since motion controlled gaming.

It would be different if each acheivement unlocked a new weapon, armor, or skill for every game, or a new mode. But it doesn't, IT'S FUCKING NOTHING, and people love it...

>This upset
>Over nothing

You need to be 18+ to post here, come back when your balls drop kiddo :^)

Geez man, calm down. Are you really so petty that achievments bother you?

Also some do unlock ingame items, Halo 3s Katana is one that comes to mind

Multiple save files.
Cheats block achievements on that save only.
Problem solved.

Achievements can be fun little in jokes but anything that's a progress milestone is basically just a way of the devs/publishers seeing how far most players get to see if they should alter anything.

I agree cheats need to make a comeback. Especially in sandbox games.

>can't spell
>blatantly retarded
>hates everything for no reason

Tell your mommy it's time to start limiting you to an hour per day on the computer

When I'm feeling done with a game I'll check out the trophies/achievements to see what things I could have feasibly missed or challenges I haven't done and if I'm feeling up to it I'll try it.

They get more mileage out of a game and, if you're already enjoying the game, it's incentive to play more or differently.

Why are you assuming that trophies/achievements replaced cheat codes?

>"womyn" were responsible for achievements

Oh, you're a retard. Whew, almost made me read your thread.

So many shitty things killing vidya nowadays and this fag is yelling about achievements???

I think some achievements are good, like one for getting a large combo or something, those are fine in my eyes as long as you have to work for it.

I love achievements.

They're a dirt cheap way to give a game some extra "content"

I never used cheat codes in anything besides GTA anyways

Cheevos can be really enjoyable and even add to the overall gameplay experience if done right, Dead Rising more recently comes to mind. The main problem is most developers are lazy when it comes to make cheevos feel like actual achievements and there's usually no gratifying payoff or incentive for getting them.

>I don't see a correlation between achievements and cheats.
Cheats disable cheevos. I remember playing GTA4 at a friends house and he would refuse to activate any cheats when we were fucking around the city because it might block some cheevos he was working towards. Like everything else, casual shits ruin it for everyone.

So you went to his house and told him how to use his game? Nigga buy your own damn game.

Cheat codes are for plebs and just fucking use cheat engine if you want to cheat that badly, you moron.

Achievements are good. I don't like being an achievement whore, but I like the game going "Hey, you decided to do this thing and we acknowledge that thing and gave you a pop up for it". They're also good from a statistical perspective, it's interesting to see the percentage of players that even bother starting the game up, let alone finishing it.

>So you went to his house and told him how to use his game?
Not at all. It's just a complete change from how we used to fuck around in San Andreas or previous GTA games. Cheevos are more important than having fun it seems.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you're the casual since you're the one that wants to use cheat codes like a scrub.

We didn't use them to beat the game, just for fun while fucking around the city. Git gud at reading scrub.

It's obvious your friend values different things in games and enjoys achievements popping, he garners fun from it. Accept that people enjoy different things and stop sperging out over him not wanting to have fun the same way you do.

>Needing cheat codes to have fun
>Calling people that beat a game once or twice faggots

OP went full retard.

I was just noting that it was a complete change from how we used to play. Strange to notice in such a short time period. user, why are you getting so upset?

achievements are only cool if you actually get some kind of reward for it like in halo 3

So you have a problem with your friend.

The only time I felt a game was better with achievements was Civ 5. It encourages you to do crazy shit and play different civs rather than just sticking with what you know and the exact same strategy every time.

Yes, he was a casual shit easily led astray by cheevos. Much like chest high walls and regenerating health, cheevos aren't bad by themselves, but when mediocre game concepts are allowed to fester and multiply then you have a problem.

I think achievements are an alright idea in theory but the way they're implemented is shit. They should be given out for completing self-imposed challenges, finding secrets, just doing something cool and creative that most players wouldn't think of, etc. and some of them are, but most are awarded for unremarkable things like progressing in the campaign or completing a random sidequest or, God forbid, killing/collecting/etc. a certain number of things which just encourages pointless, banal grinding.
Not only that but it seems like rather than being something fun, people like Microsoft pushed for their inclusion just because of how they relate to shit like Gamerscore which is a completely meaningless number that encourages people to buy more shit just for score as much as it encourages them to git gud, it seems like a really cynical skinnerbox-ish tactic.
None of this would be a problem for people that aren't retards if you could turn the popups off, except that as you say it discourages devs from including cheat codes.

That said, sperging out over how it's called an achievement despite not actually being much of an achievement IRL is retarded, who the fuck cares what it's called?