This is the holy square of 2D platformers

This is the holy square of 2D platformers.

You have NO excuse for not having played all these games.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JxQzxGL_0is
youtu.be/cPdcSPxoOcY
youtu.be/QmCv4g6irKg
youtu.be/b8MD9hOnEf4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop posting this

>no Straima
kill yourself

I'd argue Shovel Knight to be on their over Meat Boy.

Shovel Knight is a decent 2D nostalgic adventure game, but mechanically as a precision platformer, it's not very good at all.

If you played those games, you'd see there is a fundamental design difference from those games to something like Shovel Knight.

>no battleblock theatre

Why is N++ and the N series in general so underrated?

Because people can't into momentum.

Battleblock theatre is extremely repetitive in my opinion.
Puzzles aren't challenging at all and even co-op gets boring after a few levels.

I like this version way, way better

if you mean skill-based platformers like those in the OP, take out SMB and put in Shovel Knight or something

That's flash art and not pixel art.

Caveforce

Dustforce is bad Unless you're speedrunning and lacks any sense of direction or consistency, replace with Shovel Knight or a Shantae game

Take out SMB, it's by far the weakest game there

Put in Ninja Five-O

youtube.com/watch?v=JxQzxGL_0is

>Shovel Knight is more skill-based than Super Meat Boy
AHAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAA

They're all shit though.

bait

I don't like the trend of platforming games that Super Meat Boy represents.

It's all just 'here's a static screen, walljump past the obstacles as fast as you can'

I like my platformers to be like Ori and classic Sonic

meat boy is edgy shit

They're completely different types of games. Sonic is an adventure game, Ori is metroidvania, Super Meat Boy is a precision platformer.

that's not what i said

I didn't really like Meat Boy
Cave Story is the actual GOAT

All of these are minimalistic zoomed out platformers with VERY VERY little soul or effort put into it's visual design.

Theyre good at being technical testing alpha builds but they have no lasting appeal or memorability as say, the DKC games or even Sonic games.

but that isn't the case with two out of four of the games in the OP, and the only other one that has that (N++) predates SMB

>Didn't even include I Wanna be the Guy, the game that spawned THOUSANDS of precision platformers

>dustforce
>VERY VERY little soul or effort put into it's visual design.
>no lasting appeal or memorability

fuck off

>Sonic is an adventure game
>Super Meat Boy is a precision platformer.
What the fuck am I reading

Sonic is an adventure because....?
Arent both Sonic and Meatboy going on adventures through landscapes to a goal?

They both have a goal to get to, they both have fast tight gameplay that focus on getting from one point to the other as fast as possible.

They're both platformers, what are you smoking.
Only difference is, Sonic actually has interesting levels.

Oh, this is a precision platformer thread? Got it, yeah Shovel Knight isn't that type.

IWBTG isn't a precision platformer, it's a "learn by heart whatever the fuck the level throws at you"

it's ACTUAL artificial difficulty

Great job, you really convinced me with those hours.

user, that's the definition of a precision platformer.
>Learn where to jump, how long to hold keys and if enemies involved/Dustforce, when/where to attack
And IWBTG also spawned one of the best precision paltformers (with no bullshit) in the form of Not Another Needle Game.

>Cave Story is the actual GOAT
correct

I'm okay with this

Cave story is a pretty average game. it only got popular because it was good for a FREE game.

La-Mulana suffers from too much padding. having to backtrack slowly a bunch of times through rooms you've already been in gets boring. I'm not saying they are bad games, they are just over-rated.

I like the N games style cause it's decently minimalist without looking lazy.
It doesn't use the "retro-style" excuse either, which is a +1 to me.
Also what do you consider "soul"?

Precision platformer would be the ones in OP.

Artificial difficulty and trial and error is when threats come out of nowhere and you just have to memorize the path to take and you get a little farther each time. For example in most Super Meat Boy and N++ levels are not trial and error, but they do have a few, like some of the N++ levels with complex patterns of enemies where you have to slowly learn the exact placement and timing for jumps through trial and error, or levels in Super Meat Boy where there are loads of projectiles flying and you just need to find the optimal path through it through trial and error.

How different are the physics in N++ compared to the original, Flash based N?

VVVVVV is great but it's a lot easier than the other games. I wouldn't call it a precision platformer.

>VVVVVV
feels boring to play, level design is okay but I just can't stay interested in it. I'm honestly not entirely sure why people enjoy it so much, but I've never really asked.
>Dustforce
feels great to play, level design bores the shit out of me, can't stay interested in it

i don't entirely agree with VVVVVV, but good list

>2D platformers

no thanks, I played plenty of these when I was 6

>Devs fucked up character acceleration when using keyboard
>Instead of fixing it, they slapped on a warning at the beginning of the game that you should use a controller because it's inherently better, not because of their fuckup they'll never resolve

>when I was 6
Name 6 2D platformers you played before the age of 7.

>It's easier so it's worse meme
Shut the fuck up, tryhard.
Difficoutlty doesn't make good games.
See kirby, for example

Just to illustrate:
Here is the worst trial and error, artificial difficulty level in the whole game:
youtu.be/cPdcSPxoOcY

Here is a skill based level:
youtu.be/QmCv4g6irKg
youtu.be/b8MD9hOnEf4

>hear tons of shit about VVVVVV
>"oh its so hard, its a rage game ugh i couldn't finish it"
>get all the trinkets and beat the game in 3 hours
Was I being fucking memed? It was hard, but not THAT hard. The hardest part was the tower that you have to loop around mid fall.

Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Mario 3
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island

not him btw, also I'm lying, but that is a theoretically possible and also fairly plausible combination

I see your point. It comes down to personal opinion then, I would consider trial and error a part of skill-based levels as well, such as in SMB's elevator levels, you can do it in one fluid motion if you know the momentum effects, but you can't learn them without trial and error.
And you can't learn shit like how long to hold down a button to move how far/high without trial and error as well.
Agree to disagree?

that's not the argument, retard. learn to read

it's more about speedrunning and minimizing deaths.

But I do agree, considering Super Meat Boy can take 50+ hours to 100%, and N++ can take 500+ hours to 100% (unlocking and beating all secret levels, I don't think anyone has even done it yet).

I didn't say it was worse. Why are you so on edge user you gotta take some deep breaths man. You're reading shit that isn't there.

It came out a couple of months before super meat boy and games were getting pretty fucking casual by 2010 so it probably seemed hard in the frame of reference being the time of release

The only difficult part of VVVVVV is Veni Vidi Vicci.
And even then, another game does that segment better and more difficultly. I Wanna be the Boshy.

I guess this thread's not for me then. I don't like 'precision platformers' and it stinks when someone recommends to me a 'great platformer that I gotta play' and it ends up being just one of these.

Ostensibly they are the same genre, but they have different design philosophies and expected player emotions

N++ feels a little faster to me when you run compared to the original, but that just might be me
It's not a bad thing though

Straima is literally the only good precision platformer ever made.

What about Super Mario Bros? It gave all the instructions to make a good platformer.

>Super Meat Boy can take 50+ hours to 100%

Unless you're going for those retarded steam achievements that involve beating almost all the stages of an entire area without dying once, you are incredibly slow if it took you that long.

>OP finally learned that Trinity means three and not four

>N++ is now on PC
You have literally no excuse now to not play the greatest platformer of all time

But that's Straima, not some shitty floaty trash with no graphics.

I've played N+, not N++.

The hell? Dustforce and SMB are bursting at the seams with unique visuals and personality.

>sonic games
Alrighty I'll just see myself out.

>know the creator of n++ and is soul reason not to play it
>VVVVV is perfect modern platformer i had tons of fun with
>meatboy is ok game never got the autism around it
>never played dust force but i plan to

>>know the creator of n++ and is soul reason not to play it
what does this even mean

Because the original was a free flash game.
Only when indie games became priced on consoles, did they become a big phenomenon.
Like how super meat boy overshadowed N, even though N was first, and braid was considered the pioneer of indie games, even though there was already Cave Story available for a long time for free.

Nobody gives a shit about your pixelshit platformer that for a while didn't even name itself in it's Steam banner.

memes

being THIS cucked lmao

Thanks for the tip. Looks interesting.

I love VVVVVV.

Got tired of Super Meatboy after the first world.

N++ and Dustforce I ain't played. But I think I maybe have them on Humble. Should get around to it.

Have a nice day, OP.

It looks like garbage and you should probably stop shilling it here

Precision platforming is not learning where to jump but levels require very precise input. Take N++ for example, it is difficult because of the level of precision it requires, not because of hidden mines in the middle of the path. Granted, there are still switches that close doors which are invisible before that, but it rarely is an instakill. If you're good in 90% of levels you can just look at the level at the start, plan a path and if you execute it perfectly you will pass.

It's literally better than all of OP's games combined.

Wow that game looks like shitty MS Paint. Why didn't they even attempt to make it look good?

You're gonna have to ditch that real fast. All gold in E and X simply isn't feasible.

I wish I could draw that well in MS Paint desu

I can only assume you have no hands. N++ is some of the laziest fucking 'graphics' ever.

Because it doesn't have a very strong/appealing design for the lead character, and the world itself is a little devoid of personality, so a lot of people that might like it are never hooked in the first place.

It's not in the same category as those above, but I say it's more than decent or nostalgic. I'd wager that most people who dig Shovel Knight have never played any of the games it was inspired by, and I say that's fine.

Shovel Knight really isn't all about jumping. I haven't played Dustforce yet but I am guessing it doesn't have combat?

Not underrated, just underplayed and underreported.

N is sort of a niche thing, and when it was a browser game it was easy for people to drop it if they got pissed off. Lots of people don't pay real money for games that are only about gameplay.

That said, I wonder if you fags are any good at Videoball.

>underplayed and underreported
Yeah I remember the devs being a little bummed that IGN and Game Informer didn't review it, despite reviewing N+
Kinda sucks for them but oh well
>Lots of people don't pay real money for games that are only about gameplay
This saddens me sometimes
I'll check out Videoball, thanks user