Is elo hell real or is it just baddies making up excuses?

Is elo hell real or is it just baddies making up excuses?

LOL

Baddies.
I play with a guy who thinks he plays fiddle like a master.
He is literally the worst fucking player in the god damn world and he never plays anyone else.

Depends on the game

>Is elo hell real
no

it's real to an extent. Most of the ELO hells are lower leagues like Gold or Silver but there is a reason for this. Mostly it's because it's one guy who is either smurfing or is finally bothering Ranking up and carries teams.

The other is you get paired with people who are used to the above and get destroyed against any type of competition

>ELO hells
memes made up by average players

In Overwatch it is real and only retarded Mei mains who got carried will tell you otherwise.

Scoreboard say more than words can.

He's playing you like a fiddle user!

Nearly every single comic this guy has ever made pisses me off, even when I agree with what he's trying to say. I don't understand why.

Man, such an original multiplayer game related joke. I also like how the artist went for Overwatch after his Dota 2 and TF2 jerking didnt pay enough.

Yes he is. Badly.

Yeah because score doesn't exist or anything.
Clearly I'm the problem 50 points above everyone else on the board.

What? Of course it's real. You know how many people play on other accounts for baddies to get them into gold? It's fucking unreal, moba's are a joke anyway, why even give a shit about your rank?

Just have fun.

Oh shit, I said the f word.

>every player is caucasian
yea no lol

Usually, no. Like in Rocket League, I want to be a star but I'm a high gold shitter.

But Overwatch's placement matches are fucked and have level 25s who pick torb on attack or mcree despite not being able to aim in the 2600/2700s.
Plus
>win, gain 20 points
>lose, you lose 30.

what the hell is a pubber?

a small shitter

Mei main here, I barely play Mei in competitive because she doesn't fit most of the time.

But fuck let me tell you, when I get to play her, I fucking carry. McCree can shut down flankers, but Mei shuts down even the best timed pushes. Which is her best role, not a pure fragger.

average player mad that they aren't literally handed a good rank. Stay mad bronzy.

If you play enough games, no.

Take MOBAs as examples, there are 4 random players that get matched up on your team and 5 random players on their team. So if you are indeed a lot better than your rank, then the 9 random players will even out and your skills should push you higher.

People who complain about ELO hell are people that are just as average usually as other 9 players. Yes, the occasionally really bad player is on your team, but they are also on the enemy's team sometimes.

It's both. I played a game last night where we absolutely completely dominated round 1 on defense.

Then some guy decided to go widow on attack and this caused my entire team except me to completely give up and throw the match and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

Other times you get stuck with people who have shitty connections and they end up dcing. Then your whole team just leaves even if he comes back.

And in Overwatch at least, the game is fairly well balanced so it's near impossible to carry an entire game by yourself. You need at least one or two other decent players.

>killing floor
>people actually run away from glowing blue healing gas
>one guy even tried to start an argument about how it damages you
>everyone staunchly refuses to use meds on anyone else even when the round is over and people start the next round on 60hp
Yeah no, these people are fucking retards and no number of epic comic strips can change that.

ELO hell is when just being good isn't enough, where game knowledge is key to winning. If your team doesn't understand the weaknesses or strengths of their character, even if they aren't bad, they're going to be a huge detriment to the team. If they have a star player who's not being countered effectively, the other team is going to run away with it.

How

In most games where this is bitched about, the teams are five on five, so that's what I'm going to describe. It still applies no matter the size of the game, though.

If you jump in a match solo, that means there are nine other players in the game. Nine people who might be good or might not be. Four of them are on your team, and five of them are on the enemy team. That's the really important thing to consider here. On your team, there is a smaller number of random players.

Additionally, the chances of garbage players or skilled players is going to be the same for every one of those nine other player slots. If garbage players that can drag down a team can end up on your team, they can end up on the enemy team as well. If pro players that can carry a team to victory can end up on the enemy team, they can end up on your team as well.

Now it all just falls in to the law of averages. In all of the chaos of the system, your elo has one constant factor binding all of the matches: your performance. That means that, while unfair matches will happen sometimes, ultimately you will trend toward where you deserve to be in the ranks. You are the only consistent factor over a large set of matches played. There is nothing else that will remain constant. While there might be temporary swings away from trending toward your true elo, since it is a chaotic system after all, you will always be moving toward it simply because there are no other consistent factors moving you up and down the ranks.

In other words, anybody that bitches about "elo hell" is just a baddie in denial. If you play a large number of games, you will always trend toward where you are supposed to be. Yes, unequal matches happen, but if you think every single loss is just the game stacking the odds against you, then you need to brush up on your math skills, because the odds of that happening for even just 20 games in a row are statistically improbable enough to be essentially impossible.

I'm mid plat like literally everyone else in the world is, bucko. Go ahead and tell me your success story about how you managed to solo queue up to diamond with the teams of attack bastions, >using only defense heroes on defense, players who literally only pick D. Va, Tracers who can't land bombs, sniper AFKs, Symmetra trolls, and leavers all present though. Go on, I'm waiting ;).

What if the game is setup where your performance is impacted by the quality of your teammates? i.e. you play support and are constantly thrown to the wolves or ditched, leading to you being dead and your contributions being lower because of it?

Someone that plays public matches. As opposed to being a fucking pro and playing against pros.

It's real to the extent that you can be in a position where most of your games are won or lost independently of your contribution.

I'll keep it short: a long time ago I set up a simulation modeling what a playerbase could look like. The players had several stats (the population being randomly generated within proportions), but the important one turned out to be what I later boiled down into a single stat of "consistency".

In long term implications, a players maximum effectiveness is essentially multiplied by their ability to perform at that maximum level. Given enough games, the player will find themselves ranked at a proportional level to their maximum ability. Which explained why many people intuitively understood that they seemed to have the capacity to be ranked much higher, yet they simply could not be ranked there in actuality.

But I am fairly confident that I identified what many call "elo hell". It's strictly an artifact of the heavy team-orientation of the multiplayer games.

Because these games, and their ability to win at them, are so heavily influenced by team work, what this means is that there are diminishing returns for individual skill, but massive penalties for lower skill. To keep it simple:
Team A has 5 uniformly good players.
Team B has 3 uniformally good (and equal to team A) players, 1 player which is a little better than the others, and 1 player which is a little worse than the others.

Team A will likely not only win, but deliver a crushing defeat to team B.

When running simulations, there always developed a sort of "inconsistency layer", where players of average or above average skill, but bad consistency, started congregating in the rankings. It always floated above the "bad" players, and beneath the stronger, consistent players.

Rankings were unstable in these spots, and so I would "drop" individual players with specified stats at lower rankings, and track what their "games" looked like as they rose in the ranks and hit this layer.

Basically, it came down to their individual ability to play being irrelevant. They would hit a level where the inconstant players thinned out to a point, and so there were just enough inconsistent players in the layer that there would be between 0-2 per game, but not anymore than that. Anymore than that, and you start running into both teams having equal amounts of screw offs. And any less, you have broken through this "layer".

The experience of these "players" was such that, there would be long strings of games which were determined by, not ironically, a coinflip of which team got the guy who decided that he was going to tank the match. In these cases, the "player" I was tracking could have had a huge range of skill level, and would have experienced the same exact series of wins and losses.

So most basically, it was the player experiencing only a fraction of the games in which their skill level actually had an impact on the outcome of victory. I think most people pick up on this, and correctly feel out of control. Just that they attribute it erroneously to "everyone is bad on my team but not their team." It's really more often like "there is 1 bad player in this game, and which side he is on is going to lose".

Hence, "elo hell" is really more like "elo mud puddle" where you hit a point in which you just have to slog through game after game in which you have no real impact on the outcome, and do well at the few games you do have control over, and then eventually plow through it into a place of more consistency. And all the while not becoming one of "those" players that cause the inconsistency for everyone else.

Then you need to adopt playstyles that are going to help you win more. If playing support makes you lose in a certain elo bracket, then you need to stop playing support. It's as simple as that.

Back in my day a "baddy" was a villain. Quite frankly, I want my word back.

what's a big ol' shitter

I think you make a really strong point about consistency here. Being able to perform at a higher skill level doesn't mean shit if you can't do it every single game, or at least most games. It all comes back to elo being about averages.

One of my favorite quotes is relevant here:
"Mastery isn't practicing until you get it right. Mastery is practicing until you can never get it wrong."

Don't group me with you, disgusting

No, not at all.

>Dirty Bomb
>Warframe
>TF2
>Overwatch
>Insurgency
>Killing Floor

In any primarily team-based games it becomes very apparent who is shit on your team and the enemy's team very quickly.
Nerf Now is made by a TF2 autist who rarely plays other games. Even by our community's standards they're sheltered, what they basically done is shown their ignorance in the stupidity of others.

I dunno.

>CSGO
>Lose 1 match topfragging
>Go from MG2 to MG
>Win a match topfragging
>No rank up
>Win another match topfragging
>No rank up
>Win another match second place fragging
>Still no rank up

I don't fucking get it.

Sure nigger. If you play 10,000 games or more you might eventually trend where you're supposed to be but that's a retarded way of determioning if elo hell exists since most people will never play that much and so getting fucked in a way that has nothing to do with them has a much greater impact.

Get your stupid faggot statistics math out of here. It doesn't work in smaller sample sizes.

>If you keep flipping a coin eventually it will be 50 50

Yea except where if you only flip it ten times, you have every chance of getting tails every time.

>2016
>Not being pessimistic about yourself when playing alone
If you take the blame even when you're not in danger of fucking up your team, it makes everyone shut up.

>tfw 25 game chat banned
Timeto mute all

>if your team doesn't understand the weaknesses or strengths of their character

This has a greater chance of being on the other team because they have 5 randoms compared to your 4. It's a myth, the logic just doesn't work out when you figure that there's a greater chance of a bad player on the other team if you're solid.

>Get your stupid faggot statistics math out of here. It doesn't work in smaller sample sizes.

This. Especially in popular games with elo like overwatch were you can jump whole skill RANKS withing like 5-10 games stupid statistic shit like this doesn't mean anything. To climb is all about luck of the draw. Can you play well enough and can you get 10+ games in a row without someone being purposely shit? If you can then you will climb simple as that.

All of these elo games have these team based mechanics where there will be roles that needs to be filled and if someone is forced into a role in a pub game and gets spiteful its over. There are so many factors to consider aside from ones own performance but that all you can really influence. Just make some friends aside from that rank doesn't matter.

>Get your stupid faggot statistics math out of here.

You realize we're talking about a system that uses numbers to try to describe something as immaterial as player skill, right? Math and statistics are not just relevant, they are the topic of discussion.

Plus your coin toss analogy not only hurts your point but helps mine. The odds of all tails in ten flips is one in 1,024. The odds of getting bullshitted by matchmaking for even just 10 games in a row are even lower than that. Do you really think you're the one in a billion special case?

no chances are, especially in team based games with a ladder, you can be stuck with a team that doesn't know its ass from a hat. Its why I only play pubs in Dota, because the effort and aggravation to get into that creme of the crop layer is just not worth it

Good write-up

But also consider some games that have special ranking,placement,stat tracking,contribution weight and all that. THEN consider glitches and inconsistencies in the very same system.

This is why these ranking are taken with a grain of salt,well in my case.

>all those white men
TRIGGERED

>There are so many factors to consider aside from ones own performance but that all you can really influence

This is exactly why elo works. I don't even understand how you can be cognizant of that but not see how that essentially eliminates luck as a factor.

I really never meant luck literally its just all of these systems and stats working against you. Sometimes unless you are REALLY good and somehow you get placed in a lower rank games go a way and you have no influence.

It doesn't really work but maybe I'm missing a crucial part of it. I just don't see how jumping whole tiers of ranks in a day with ~15 losses is working as intended. Especially when these statistics have thousand of players and games in mind.

Elo hell literally can not exist. People think that your rank means that you are the skill level of that rank, and so are your team mates and the enemy. This is completely false. The ONLY thing that rank means, in a team based game, is your ability to carry your team in a LOWER rank. In other words, being Gold means that you can carry your team in Silver. It does NOT mean that you can carry in Gold, which would put you into Platinum, and it doesn't even mean that you can perform well in Gold. The only thing that a given rank X means is that you can carry (i.e. make a big enough impact in the game to win more than lose over time) in a rank lower than rank X.

Yeah, fine, people who play like 5 matches don't actually get placed where they should. Who gives a shit about the people who barely play the game?

Just saying elo hell is real, what capacity it exists at for each game is hard to define.
But if I get bitched at for putting parental controls on the Wii U so my little sister can't play Splatoon, or I disconnect them from the network for having a terrible Ack Dup flooding mess of a setup just to play Roblox, you bet there's going to be fucking kids who have zero capacity to play that are going to play your game.
So we know they're not just AFK or griefing, they seriously have no coherent thought process when they pick 4th spy in TF2 and throw the game.

A key aspect of elo that games fail to recognize is the player's motivation and enthusiasm to win, which ranges from for winning, for fun, for stress relief and window licking, flashy lights appreciating retard.

If you want to avoid elo hell and do it right, give both teams captaincy over the server to have deciding votes in things like kicking and game options. Instead of just letting players define games before searching for them, fragmenting communities that play games that REQUIRE high amounts of differing content to work (e.g. TF2 with game modes and maps), get them into a smaller sample that can speak the language, get them actually communicating on what they want to do, then set up a server to do that.

If this was applied to TF2, I want to be forced to play all kinds of maps instead of get stuck playing whatever's easier for retards to figure out, I want to play some TC maps, I want people to recognise they have a role to fill and enjoy filling them (but not necessarily stick to one role mid-game) and I want people to demonstrate a basic ability to communicate with people and understand what's going on. And all this I want playing 8v8 (as the game was originally designed) not 12s maybe? with drop-ins and AFKs and FUCKING TWATS WHO DON'T PICK A CLASS SO THEY CAN'T GET KICKED FOR INACTIVITY

With all this, it's much easier to just adopt a community lobby-official server-custom config based matchmaker.

>I really never meant luck literally its just all of these systems and stats working against you

That's the thing, they're working for you. Everything else being chaos except for the one binding factor of your performance means the system is working to move you toward where you deserve to be. It's not flawless and perfect, but the more matches you play the more you will trend toward your rightful spot.

>games go a way and you have no influence

This is why you're seeing it wrong. Unless the game is very poorly designed, there is NEVER a case where you are completely helpless to change the outcome of a game. Sometimes it may feel that way because most competitive games are so complex that it's difficult to even tell what you did wrong, but that's just a feeling and not the reality. I guarantee that every time you've felt like you couldn't have changed the outcome of a game, a player who was substantially more skilled than you could have in your exact position.

yes.
it's NOT what most people think it is though. that image is only partially correct. basically to get out of elo hell you have to take command of retards. in other words, top ranked players just good at emphasizing with idiots.

Overwatch placements are so retarded. I landed on rank 68 in S1 but after S2 placements I got placed in bronze league following 10 full placement defeats. Now I'm slowly climbing out of this shitheap, currently at gold and still rising. I shouldn't have to deal with all of this shit but placements are broken.

Basic cause and effect m8
>Dota
>If X, can Y
>Y is X for other
>Chainreaction of fail where skill won't matter

CS:GO
>An absolute shitfest of hit detection but basically git gud
>Taking a risk for the team means you can get put out of action and your team fail miserably outside of your control
>Not taking risk means you're relying on your team to die meaningfully

It's not games that use elo that have a problem, it's more games relying on elo to set up games tend to be bad when community made alternatives not being the main method of pubbing.

this is what happens when dedicated servers die. people get matched randomly so its just a mish mash of random play styles. when you play in smaller communities you learn play much better. up to the point where you can notice trends and play with them even without communication. it becomes instinctual. cooperation excels. instead we get matchmaking and cluster fuck of play styles with no consistency. then you add chat where people just bitch and complain. what worse is match making isnt focused on grouping players that play well together. it is in fact doing the opposite to enforce "fair play". it wants a Gaussian distribution. so your experience will be generally horrible. evenly. everywhere.

I don't think you did any modelling
Otherwise, post your code for peer review

Should have gotten some friends and partied up for your placement matches then.

>NOBODY IS BAD THINK OF THE FEELINGS
sorry but if those people ever attended real LAN they'd know the top is more accurate. Even friends can suck.

>He's playing you like a fiddle user!

I did for the first 5 games.

My friends are all shit, like legitimate silver-gold tier at best.

They unironically play Torb on offense/koth because "sometimes it works really well because no one expects it."

Ah that's a shame. My friend is a die hard genji main.
But like the good kind the one that gets work done.

Also attack torb is cancer but funny thing is I played a match in masters where we went bastion in overtime on attack on watchpoint and pushed all the way to the end and won.

So its success stories like that which make people do retarded shit.

>nerfnow

Kill yourself you braindead BR

>Pubbers
It's puggers.

It's both, now stop playing shit

>csgo
>gn2
>friend is gn4
>queue together
>he's an unstoppable killing machine
>i keep getting fucking destroyed
>enemies are all gn3
>everyone calls me shit at the game and sucks him off
>queue with a SEM
>top frag and do relatively well
>everyone says i'm good at the game
WHICH IS IT

If you main a role that doesn't have much potential to carry, such as supports in OW or LoL, it will take more games to reach your actual rank or rating.

Have to play carry characters to get to your rank quicker.

>half-naked

you're all shit for playing csgo

if you are only marginally better than your current rank, going up the ladder can be pretty hard and your team can fuck it up for you, yes

but if you're actually significantly better you will rank up

git gud

I don't know how this comic stays afloat or how the writer sees fit to write stuff about mmr when he's lived in the fucking trenches the last 4 years.

>most competitively played shooter in the world
>shit

It's not real, elo boosters can take someone stuck in bronze all the way to diamond in solo que while maintaining a 70%+ win rate, ITS NOT REAL

Excuses, but you have to be in the right mindset and have the right attitude to climb in the first place. It's not a problem unless you honest to God believe in Elo hell.

>people who give a shit about ranks solo queuing in a 5v5 game
>I SURE HOPE I GET CARRIED OR THAT THE TROLLS ARE ON THEIR TEAM OR BOTH OH BOY

>overwatch

who let the 7 year old in here?

She's wearing clothes on all of the parts of her body that we can't see.

Elo is a perfectly legitimate system. Other people have already discussed why. There are four randoms on your team and five on the enemy team. If you are really better than the average random, you should win more games than you lose.

People literally DO NOT REALIZE just how unlikely it is that you will lose even four matches in a row if you really are better than everyone else. People say "well, Elo is designed for high numbers of matches and it's meaningless in low numbers of matches because there's too much variation.". And that's completely untrue. You can get a representative sample of the US population with only 5-6k people.

The fact is, if you are losing a lot of games, it is almost definitely your fault. If you lose 8/10 games, that's not "oh I got matched with baddies those 8 times". Elo is designed to get you a 50% winrate when you're at YOUR level skill. Do you have any idea how unlikely it is that you have a 20% winrate given that you are playing at a level BELOW your skill level?

If you're winning about 50% of your games, you're exactly where you should be. People often think that they need to be winning like 9/10 games or something, and that's fucking stupid and not how the system works. Everyone always thinks they're better than they are.

And if you're losing 8/10 games and you're actively going down ranks, that's not your team's fault. That's all on you. You just think you're better than you actually are because of the Dunning-Kroeger effect. You are literally too shitty to understand just how shitty you are.

>half naked
>is completely naked

I prefer playing support since I'm good at shepherding tards and I wouldn't trust a pub to play a role that doesn't make bank.

>get 12 kills 0 deaths
>constantly ganking and taking towers
>smite and steal every dragon
>bot and support feed so hard anytime I'm away that bot gets fed mad crazy
>enemy bit is literally 3 shotting
>our mid leaves because he keeps getting killed by fed bot
>lose
LoL community will detict that it was my fault we lost. Fuck you niggers.

we all took the plunge in solo queue my nigga

The two games I've reached ELO hell have systems to circumvent that.

The first is premades. If you don't play premade, you actually have a higher chance of getting shitters. In games like League, and Overwatch, nothing stops these players from crushing you.

Second is shitty ranking system. In Overwatch, you lose more points for losing than you'd get for winning, meaning that a 50/50 win ratio means you're losing points consistantly. This means that the slightly lower chance that your team is shit will result in you not moving up, and being stuck in ELO Hell. League does the same thing with it's "Promotion" system, where you'll get the bigest shitters in the world "Silver/Gold V", who know they can't get deranked, so they just fuck around all day, while you'll get crushed by premades.

Last is the role of Support. This doesn't effect games like Rocket League so much, but it hits DOTA/League/Overwatch hard. Simply put, 1 in every 5 games, approximately, you're going to either be forced to play support, or have some shitters who refuse to play support. The former removes your 4 idiots vs 5 idiots advantage, as support by itself doesn't impact the game enough to carry it.

These combined, outwight the 4v5 advantage.

ELO Hell exists. The only way out is to Duo, or get lucky.

If bot was losing but your side had the advantage, you should have gunned for a quicker finish. The game obviously dragged for too long.

Sometimes I feel bad about blaming my teammates for losing.

But then I look at the score and I have more points than half my team combined.

You can be effective without being effective. You can kill good but if it's not the right people at the right time in the right place, it's not going to accomplish much in the grand scheme.

I got proof ELO hell exists.
>1v1 games
>I'm always high ranked, no matter the game

>Team games
>I never duo, because my friends are casuals
>I always end up in tiers with shitters after placement
>By the time I'm good enough to get out of shiter tier, I get plagued with premades, afks, intentionally bad players, ect
>I drop the game, and pick up something new, telling myself that it won't happen this time, and the community will be better.

Not my fault, I told these mouthbreathersat bot want to tower dive when I tell them to just safely farm until I reach them.

This.

You could be 30-0 and still lose because your team fails to do their part or attempt to remedy it.

ELO Hell exists regardless of what people say, when you fight people with the mindset of 4 idiots vs 5 idiots those 5 idiots are also thinking the same, your 4 idiots probably aren't.

>Last is the role of Support. This doesn't effect games like Rocket League so much, but it hits DOTA/League/Overwatch hard. Simply put, 1 in every 5 games, approximately, you're going to either be forced to play support, or have some shitters who refuse to play support. The former removes your 4 idiots vs 5 idiots advantage, as support by itself doesn't impact the game enough to carry it.

This is very, very true. Certain positions in games with competitive ranking are just flat out shit compared to others, in DoTA/League you can pick jungle mid or ADC and carry your team or help them enough to win if they don't feed their asses off, otherwise playing support just makes your potential go down the shitbox.

I meant to say not to tower dive

Its a personal hell
>slightly better than other players in the match
>but not good enough to carry the match or pick up the slack when a teammate fucks up

Fucking this. Most of these youtubing cunts who play league and say Elo Hell doesn't exist are the same people playing with pro players who carry their sorry asses.

Elo hell doesn't really exist. If you were actually good lets just say you were diamond skill level but playing with silvers you can EASILY fucking carry a bunch of dumbshits. Because you're also playing against 5 or 6 other dumbshits. People who bitch about elohell are like golds playing with silvers. They are just BARELY a notch above what they're playing with so they don't have the ability to actually carry. They'll refuse to acknowledge this and blame their teammates because understanding you're shit can be too difficult for some people.

Regular Hell is though

>You can be effective without being effective
stop posting

Yeah and we're in it.

>Four other players on your team
>Hundreds of thousands of players in the game at once
>Implying skill levels will not fluctuate

Any game with multiple people in it will have people that suck on a team and people that are good.
also nerfnow fucking sucks so much fucking dick dude

how do you copy the SAME PANEL FIVE FUCKING TIMES

>implying score is only a function of kills

>When no one on your team wants to play support but they can't play core or carry
>Everyone loses their lanes

Too many retards to save.

Didn't League have a new system where anyone can pick there role before queing up for a game? How is this shit still a problem?

because retards get the roles we want, its not a perfect system at all

matchmaking is cancer

You're just bad.

mad because bad

i play many tournaments, cs, quack, hats2
real tournaments, run by the devs and community, not fuck tard "tournament mode" from the game menu

this game mode is responsible for many issues.
shitters think they are hot shit but will never join a real team because they get kurb stomped

Can you really not imagine how that would go wrong?

I think it does if you start out unlucky.

I'm playing hots right now and almost all of my winrates are 60% or higher on all maps. Some days.

If it wasnt for support quests I would literally never do it. I used to duo with a friend in HON who was pretty good but I could trust him to do the right thing most of the time and it usually went pretty well.

You cant carry your teammates to a certain point, there is always a point where you can assume youre going to lose but I'll try anyway, about 10% of the time your team gets their shit together but most of the time its faggots who play for "fun" who ruin your score.

They literally do not care and dont try, which either to me I assume they have all the time in the world, which I dont or I usually check their profiles afterwards and find out they are just god awful in general.

I dont get why you'd keep playing something youre bad at if you wont attempt to improve.

Thats the real hell IMO.

It doesn't really matter how you start. If you're actually good you'll eventually rise to your skill level.

It's why whenever I smurf for my brother and his friends I'm able to boost them from wherever they are into diamond so quickly - because I'm simply better than the competition and crush them, becoming a spiraling snowball of death in virtually every game.

Comp modes don't make people worse players, they are, in fact, the only way for most people to actually attempt to get better at the game. Casual CS, for example, is a brainless clusterfuck and teaches you nothing about how to play well, it actually teaches you bad habits, making you a worse player.

You literally cannot carry games in HoTS, it's actually impossible due to the way most of the maps work. All you can do is hope that your team has fewer assholes than the enemy team. That's generally how I won my matches. You can only rely on your own skill so much, you can't really 1v5.

I don't play HoTS. I will say that if you're good you either A) will rise or B) need to team with people who will facilitate your success. That goes for any game. In MMOs, you can be a player who literally makes 0 mistakes - that will be irrelevant if the rest of your raid/guild/whatever sucks huge dick and dies to everything. In MOBAS, where individual players actually have far more of an impact (or at least very easily *CAN* make themselves impactful through skillful/tactical play), it's usually the case that A is far more true.

Of course it does exist. You ever heard of the Dunning Kruger effect? Obviously there will be people who fall into the category of calling their teammates retards while still being awful themselves, but there's also people who have the skill to have "earned" being able to say that.

That comic proves nothing. Just because someone complains of their teammates doesn't necessarily make them good. In fact, more often than not, the people who actively complain in text or voice chat in games about their teammates are the ones being carried.