Video Game Books/Novels

Kind of an off topic since I don't see it much or at all here, but have you guys read any novels based on games or interested in any? I'm really wanting to get into it.

not even read the withcer ones either, just example

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Devereaux-Disaster-Susquehanna-Virus-Book-ebook/dp/B00MOH4BFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473449944&sr=8-1&keywords=the devereaux disaster#nav-subnav
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Witcher* wow excuse me

Reading the first Witcher novel (The last wish) and it's pretty good.

But keep in mind the author is a huge asshole and actually despises the games, I only found out recently and it bummed me out a little bit. Decent book nonetheless

Wow actually didn't know this, shame since I thought they did it justice just from looking at them

So why exactly is he an asshole ?

The Elder Scrolls novels are actually surprisingly good, and criminally underappreciated. I'd put them among my favorite fantasy novels.

He doesn't hate them, he just has no interest in them. He's an old man who does his own things. Video games aren't one of them.

he just never played them before and thinks it's a waste of his time trying them, he's 60+ so imagine that, doubt someone like him will ever pick up a game, but also says games shouldn't connect to movies or vice versa, he thinks it's ridiculous but says he respects the developers regardless.

My word the deaths in this one are graphic and grim, especially when Gunther shows up at the end

Well the Witcher's a bad example since that's a game that's based on the books, not the other way around.

I think the only thing I've read that originated with a video game was the Mass Effect prequel about Captain Anderson

Yeah I should have emphasized, I just meant books in general where a game came from it or a game was turned into a book or has novelizations

Was about to post this one as well, I liked the additional backstory that was provided for the Belltower mercenaries in this one.

Are the Deus Ex Books good? How many are there?

Helps James Swallows actually writes plotlines for the actual games themselves. I'm really glad I read Blacklight before I started Mankind Divided since Adam mentions a bunch of stuff that happens in the book so I got extra mileage from it

This. It's weird how a series with so much lore has so little plot. It's the opposite of the Witcher series where there's a lot of plot but much of the lore is omitted.

I can't speak for its quality as it hasn't released yet, but I preordered a video game tie-in novel for the first time in my life. I just love Dishonored's universe and lore so fucking much I'll throw money at anything related to it.

As far as I know only two, and they're both in this thread.

There's a Malik novella, one about Alex Vega, Icarus Effect and Black LIght. I think that's it

Are vidya novels like really easy and fast to read? I've always wanted to try those Halo books and I've since starter reading which is nice but I'm super selective on what I read.

He always talks down about the game because in his mind it causes him all this trouble

He thinks that stuff like new printings of his books using the video game art has turned away more people from potentially reading his books than were attracted to his books after playing the game first

pretty hard to believe imo

When's it coming out?

I busted through Blacklight in about a week. Thought it would be a quicker read

someone explain why the Doom novels always seem to have people speechless and why they're "so bad they're good"

If you're "super selective" about what you read, I don't think you should ever be reading vidya novels. All due respect.

Just sounds like someone saying "I'm super selective about TV shows", but all they watch is ABC sitcoms.

rough translation:

>I know some people who played this game, but few such people I know, because I turn rather among intelligent people

I found the Deus Ex books to take a while since there's usually a fair bit going on, but you could probably get through them in five days or so each. I can't speak for others since I haven't really read them.

9/25. Got day one delivery with Prime.

This is weird. I've been hype countless times in my life, but this is only the second time I've been this hype for a fucking book.

I just wish there were novels for games like Fallout, Fire Emblem (imagine that), or the SoulsBorne series because that'd be insane

amazon.com/Devereaux-Disaster-Susquehanna-Virus-Book-ebook/dp/B00MOH4BFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473449944&sr=8-1&keywords=the devereaux disaster#nav-subnav

I'm super selective about what books I read and the Elder Scrolls novels were fantastic. Only vidya novel i've ever read.

Basically this.

>I wouldn't know about the game because all my friends are intelligent -- we read books, we don't play games."

Strikes me more as a grandpa yelling at a cloud than a straight-up "asshole".

>crappy dark fantasy novels
>crappy faux rpg

pottery

Nice, might buy it too.

>Fire Emblem
I could dig it. Part of what made Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn so good is the worldbuilding, for which great care was taken that we haven't really seen from the other titles.

Oops, 9/27.

It's supposed to bridge the gap between D1 and D2, which is good because it seems to be one hell of a gap.

well yeah I mean you can tell it's just coming from the fact that he's an old fart but it's still an asshole thing to say anyone who plays games (especially a game based on your own established universe) is unintelligent

Yeah it'd be like a probably not as dark and no where near as mature version of game of thrones, I can totally get into that. I can only dream.

I only know about those from super bunnyhop's video on them. I'd suggest watching that.

He's not an asshole. From one writer to another, I get where he's coming from.

If you wrote a series and ended it. Then someone bought the rights and made new stories with it in an entirely different medium, then you decided you wanted to make more stories, would you really want to honor what is basically fanfiction?

He respects the developers for where they have taken the IP. But that doesn't mean he has to take a third party's ideas and make them cannon. Especially if they did things to your characters you didn't agree with or had other ideas for.

I respect his opinion, the video games.are perfectly fine being their own thing, as are the books. He's also an old ass man, probably doesn't want to play video games.

Some of the Halo books are pretty good and build some of the pre-war history
especially The Fall of Reach which heavily influenced the creation of the game

I have the book and it is a pretty good read so far. I think I am at the half way point.

Wait, what??? Local bookstore? How???

The Witcher novels are pretty good reads, better than most gaming related literature since it's not actually based on anything but Sapkowski's imagination and folklore. (novels predating the games and all)

If you can, don't read them in English. Sapkowski's style of prose supposedly doesn't translate well to English. In English they're still great (it's what I'm reading the series in because fuck ebooks and fuck paying a fortune to get imported books from Spain), but apparently there's a lot of wordplay and subtle stuff that is just lost in translation.

I also have Halo Evolutions which has some interesting reads, it predates 343 fucking up the EU. Not the pinnacle of sci-fi but I'd say it's better than most video game tie ins. There's some cool worldbuilding going on in it that I liked as a big fan of Halo lore back when it was about apocalyptic alien attacks.

Oh, and the first Elder Scrolls novel was nice. I read it during a trip. It was nice seeing things like khajiit culture and Black Marsh expanded on, since usually the games just relegate beast race lore to exposition books and passing mention in dialogue.

>ctrl+f
>no Itoh
His novelization of MGS4 is better told story than the one in the game. I won't go into all details but let me say, Otacon as narrator. No Beauty and the Beast unit.

Help me out bro. I just googled my ass off and everything says 9/27. Where'd you get it?