>2016
>bad

when will this meme die?

Name one (1) good game from this year

name a "good game" so I can call it trash

>inb4 "I said name a GOOD game"

I appreciate your honesty.

splatoon is literally dead

Wow holy fuck they're all trash, what a surprise!

Super Hot was pretty good but also short as fuck for that price.

I love my Wii U but Splatoon is a piece of shit

Whats wrong with Super Hot.

This false flag, though

What? It's true.

>sony ponies so bootyblasted at buying a glorified blu-ray player with inferior PC ports and weeaboo shovelware they have to pretend to own Wii U's on the internet

>XCom 2
>Great

As someone who genuinely loved the reboot, the sequel was meh. I liked that they tried new things, but everything felt so unpolished. The original was unpolished too, but they released a huge expansion pack whose goal was to fix those problems. XCom 2 had DLC planned before the first review even came in and all it did was throw shit on a pile of vanilla ice cream. It's actually preferable to play the game without it, and without it, it's not even up to par with the vanilla original.

There are two region wide tournaments going on right now

It's firaxis, their games have to be played years after release with patches and major expansions.

Nah. I fucking adore Xenoblade and Smash; those are the reasons I bought my Wii U, but Splatoon is lacking in almost every way.. maps and modes on rotation, and the lack of options is retarded and only the start of where Splatoon's problems begin. Good singleplayer but they dropped the ball with making a the multiplayer good.

I thought it was really repetitive and didn't use its main mechanic to even close to its full potential. The story was also rubbish imo

I got bored by the time I beat the campaign and the first few challenges didn't grab me either.

I personally love it nearly as much as the original EU release but I can definitely understand why most don't and see that it has huge flaws. Personally though I got a really enjoyable 113 hours outta it and I'm looking forward to future mods/the inevitable expansion pack a lot.

>but they dropped the ball with making the multiplayer good

top b8, m8

Splatoon is basically the best shootan of the last however many years.

I hope the sequel fleshes out the single player mode more. I really enjoyed it.

I understand that, which is why Xcom 2 disappoints me so hard. Their post game plans were just awful. Tons and tons of costumes that were designed with the consistency and seriousness of TF2 hats, a potentially cool random boss encounter ruined entirely by the stupid "We're gonna make them super hard by having them blatantly break the rules", and then try to say they're balanced by giving you 3 free super weapons that you are just flat out given for free. Last one is the only tolerable one and even then it's just a really lame re-insertion of mecs after building them up as this brand new thing.

I'm serious. Why is 90% of the content locked out at any given time if I want to play? I have to get 7 friends to do private matches if I want to play every map and mode, or wait 4 hours for the rotation switch.
I don't see the reason why the rotation exist. It makes the game boring.

>2 shallow indie shitters
>2 weebshit games
>2 throwback games

Again, 2016 is shit, relatively speaking.

>self explanatory
wow I was expecting you to be some namefag after seeing this

>Weebshit
>Odin Sphere
???
It's in the name, it's a spin on the Norse mythology

>BEST GAME BELIEVE ME I'M NOT A FREAK CRAZY

If there's a Splatoon 2, that is definitely the first thing that needs to go. I kinda get their reasoning, trying to have you build your kit to the meta of the maps they have chosen and stretch your playtime over patches here and there rather than binge and burnout, but there's so many maps and it's just obnoxious being locked to a couple at a time. They shoulda kept the ranked gamemodes on like a 2 hour cycle but made all the maps in circulation. Boom, best of both worlds.

>tfw you're not a jaded cunt like this user

I love this feel the most of all

Odinsphere is LITERALLY the only good game. Nu Doom is okay, Overwatch is okay.

You really didn't name a single good game. XCOM 2 is okay though.

t. someone who hasn't played half the list

Or at the very least hasn't played Brigador, which is easily GotY

Spla2n should have a mode that plays like the Testfire demo. I liked it the best when there were only a few premade sets that you picked right before a match starts. You saw what weapon a guy was holding, and knew what to expect and how to deal with it. In the full game, there's a fucktillion different sets of weapons and subweapons.

The Witness is a (1) good game.

>jojoshitter

get go and stay go mi amigo

>no Total War: Warhammer

You have ten seconds to explain this error or I'm egging your house tonight.

>address 6 out of 20 games with vague insults

>EVERYTHING IS SHIT BECAUSE THESE ARE

Yeah nah. This is an okay year.

>Cred Forums is so fucking jaded it'll pretend this is a bad list despite it having a lot of legit games

Why do I still come here?

I'd go so far as to say it's a VERY good game.

The single player mode in the game is a bit too much of a glorified tutorial. With the exception of the final boss, there's not too much challenge to it unless you're playing the Amiibo levels.

I mean, it's good, and the lore and design is really nice but you can tell that originally it wasn't a priority to have a single player mode. The single player mode is the weakest element of the game. I'm hoping the sequel adds some lite MMO elements to the single player with kwestin' & custom apartments and shit

The rotation exists for the very reason that it keeps the game alive and prevents players from just playing one map repetively. When you play normal shooters, people normally just pick a couple maps out of dozens and don't bother playing any of the other ones. When you have people waiting for their favorite map instead, it keeps them coming back to the game instead of getting burnt out and at the same time encourages players who like the game and don't mind waiting for their favorite maps to learn how to git gud at more than just one single map that they just need to learn to use one all-purpose weapon for. Most importantly, Nintendo didn't put a whole lot of money into the servers cause they never expected the game to be as big of a hit as it turned out to be because it was a new IP by a younger, less experienced team on what was a lackluster console.

I'd rather there not be a cycle at all, and have the option to change gear/weapons at any point during a match.
I loved the game at launch, but it's flaws quickly became apparent.
I hated not being able to play with my friends at the weekend because of splatfests forcing us apart.
1 weekend would be a US splatfest and the next would be EU... what the fuck. You can't even party up for splatfests...
Splatfest bullshit is now over but waiting for the rotation has completely killed my want to play this game when I get bored after 20 minutes of play.
If Splatoon 2 fixes this splatfest and rotation restriction bullshit then great but I'm not expecting it.

>Statement of affection but hot opinion

>IT'S TRUE!!

meh.

I'd prefer if 2 just ditched SP for a boss rush mode and a lobby-like hub you can run about in to access the options/stores/etc. in with other players present.

Why not have all maps in a playlist so they all get played once before going onto the next?

I don't think it's that bad given that while there's a ton of weapons, they fall into categories with not much difference between them.
-Generic machine guns
-Snipers
-Rollers
-Chaingun
-Sword
-Shotgun

Everything is just variations of these and it's pretty easy to tell at a glance what people are packing. Heck, half the variations are just different sub weapons/supers.

Honestly I'm sure some decent games made it out this year at least in other regions but I'm mostly going to remember 2016 for all the rampant delays and controversies. It just hasn't been a very feel good year for video games.

This is what kind of turned me off from playing it that much. It just gets boring.
>total war
>good
pic related

>jojoshitter

get go and stay go mi amigo

What if the sequel is Inklings vs Octarians and they just tie the SP & MP together?

Would be a good excuse to introduce something like the "Octo Brothers"

Again, if you'd fucking read, I'm comparing this to what an actual "good year" has looked like in years prior.

This is paltry, at best.

I want co-op campaigns. That shit will be amazing.

Actually it's pretty fucking good.

Better than most of the 00s and the 80s, at the very least. Probably stacks up pretty well versus the early 90s also.

Splatfests forcing you to play randoms only and turfwar only was the most retarded thing. It always fell on a weekend too which is when you'd expect to have time to play games. I'm actually glad that's over with forever.
That being said, I would be ok with them cycling gamemodes. Creating 3 ranked queues would be a bad idea but randomly selecting a gamemode would make meta impossible. So long as they don't create a bad ranked gamemode (I personally enjoy all 3 right now, even if rainmaker is my favorite), then it's fine.
Because that's not how multiplayer works. What happens if one player who just played moray towers gets connected to someone whose next in line is moray towers? The players fluctuate too much to make a nice clean rotation.

>friend asks me to play splatoon
>its the same 2 maps and 1 mode
>rotations are 4 hours apart
The gameplay is fun but I can't play the same 2 damn maps over and over.

For me it was sort of the opposite. I'd get a boost of confidence on maps I was moderately good at and not want to play as much when they were on. But I'd get really pissed off playing maps I sucked at and kept playing and playing cause I didn't want to admit I was shit to myself or let those Japs get away with it. Before you know it, a "I'll just play for 30 minutes and head out" session became a 6 hour binge.

I think we agreed the other night that Furi is a good contender for actual game of the year, but will be ignored by all the critics at the end of it.

>I'm comparing

No you're not. Not in anything I replied to at least.

I think the only site I know of that gave it fair dues at release was Giant Bomb.

And you're not supposed to.

Nintendo deliberately wants to avoid breeding zombies that sit alone at home playing online for hours on end.

>"Boohoo why do they want to tell me how to live?"

Because fuck you.

You're not really suppose to play for 4 hours straight. Each match is only a few minutes long. You're really suppose to play in short bursts instead of burning yourself out in one long ass marathon like in other shooters.

Doesn't stop NEETS from doing it anyway. Why go outside when you can just play as a cute squid loli and watch Callie & Marie dance for you.

Sometimes I hate being in school cause I just want to go home and splat

I've been playing both MK8 and Smash almost daily since they launched without getting bored or burnt out.
Splatoon is certainly fun enough to keep me coming back every day too, if the rotation didn't exist.

>user, 14

Maybe the sequel will give up on that idea.

It -is- afterall the number one complaint with the game around here.

Which is quite impressive, as that means people people really want to play it more.

>What happens if one player who just played moray towers gets connected to someone whose next in line is moray towers?
That's their own problem for leaving.
Shooters that I used to play went on a full map cycle and it worked fine.
Or there could be a map voting system with lockouts to repeat the same maps being voted over and over like most modern shooters use.
The rotation is a dumb however I look at it.

Like with other shooters, which got boring after a straight week of replying the same map for hours on end. Splatoon is probably one of the few shooters I enjoyed playing after a month. Map rotation and locked weapons might be annoying at time, but they are a necessary evil.

>Heck, half the variations are just different sub weapons/supers.
That's what I'm talking about. In the Testfire, you'd have an escape plan ready if you saw a guy with the gun that gave him the shield super.

>You're going to enjoy it the way I tell you to, damnit!

The system is poorly made. People don't sit down and load up a console to enjoy 10 minutes of game. That's a system you make for phone app tier games.

>That's their own problem for leaving.
You don't know how queues work, do you? 8 people finish a match, 6 of them leave, 2 stay, they get their lobby merged with other stray stayers. Those stray stayers all will have different queues as far as map cycling goes.

Which will probably never happen since despite complaining about it, people still play it, and still enjoy it. For a very long time. I mean, compare it to other shooters, clearly, they are doing something right with their current decision.

The only other one I've got was actually from 2013

Have the maps be random then

And guess what? It worked. The game managed to maintain a healthy and active fan-base for a ridiculously long time. If the complaints had any actual merit, people would have dropped it a long time ago.

Yeah, but not the late '90's, early '00's.

Now those are examples of "good" years.

Fair, but I think actual prior years' worth of releases don't need retreading like intensive posting and listing. It's just a known fact.

>Good games can't have flaws
I enjoy the game and play it from time to time, but I can rarely to never find someone who says this system is doing it any favors. I would play it a lot more if it didn't have that shit.

Certainly it wouldn't have won best game again a year after release if those complaints had any serious impact on the game's overall reception

I think they'll fix some of the rotation stuff with the sequel now that they know they have something that can make shekels, but I don't think there's any reason for them to drastically change the formula to something more typical of shooters in this respect since there was no serious negative impact on sales or fan or critical reception

It had flaws, but I feel like it was one of those things where the benefits outweigh the negatives. I would rather have the current system than another de_dust scenario. Fuck that shit.

Doom
Paladins
DS3
Xcom 2

I'm in college, stupid

playing video games is better than college, everyone knows this

>shooter on a console
>GOTY

Pick one.

Shooters on consoles are shit because of their controls. Splatoon managed to not be shit with its controls because it used gyro for aiming, which is a hell of a lot more accurate than sticks.

Gyroscope is a decent 2nd place to mice. I play competitive shooters and used to be sponsored in Splatoon. It's actually not awful, you can move and aim as freely as on PC if you're willing to deal with a tiny jitter.

It's still completely gimped in comparison to a mouse, forcing you to rely on a terribly designed controller instead of something that has 100% accuracy and efficiency, like a keyboard and mouse. A gyro can't even begin to emulate the smooth flow of a proper control scheme, and severely limits any advanced strategic maneuvers in-game. For example, I've never seen anyone in Splatoon utilize any interesting aerial moves like you could do in Unreal Tournament or Team Fortress Classic. You're always glued to the ground, and the super jump is probably the only method of getting around that isn't boring.

The fact that the UI is so poorly designed that you actually need a second screen to dump it onto is also something worth noting.

Please kill yourself and stop playing video games

the UI is designed around the second screen idiot, putting the map on the second screen lets you focus on whats happening around you and globally without needing to pause

Persona 5

>TF2 fag
>In charge of calling what shooters games are good

Kill yourself

>the UI is designed around the second screen idiot
So it's based around a gimmick that forces you to constantly look away from the screen if you need to know that data. Excuse me, I didn't buy a 400 dollar plasma screen TV just to be told that I'm not allowed to use it for ALL of my gaming needs.

>putting the map on the second screen lets you focus on whats happening around you and globally without needing to pause
If the UI was designed properly, you wouldn't need to pause anyway. Look at TF2 for example. I don't need to pause to know what weapon I have. I don't even need to pause to change my weapons. But because the UI is properly designed (and moddable for my personal tastes) I keep the action on one screen and still have fun without any gimmicks.

A second screen is a crutch in the same vein that a quick time event is a crutch in an action game.

The numbers don't lie.

>I don't need to pause to know what weapon I have.
You don't need to do that in Splatoon either
>I don't even need to pause to change my weapons.
You only have one weapon at any time, so again you don't need to do that either
>I keep the action on one screen and still have fun without any gimmicks.
Yeah, I bought splatoon because the major gimmick of the game was looking at my map.
It's very obvious you know nothing about this game and are just shitposting, good riddance.

>users scoring a game lower than critics
>ever

>You don't need to do that in Splatoon either
Because the game was watered down. They removed any semblance of multitasking because of the limitation of the hardware.

>you only have one weapon
Again, another limitation of the poor gamepad controller.

>Yeah, I bought splatoon because the major gimmick of the game was looking at my map.
Well, I'd prefer it if the major gimmick was "having fun". You know what I mean?

>It's very obvious you know nothing about this game and are just shitposting, good riddance.
user, you and I both know very well that if I timestamped my copy of Splatoon, you'd find some way to discard it and say that I just "don't get it". Do you want to go through that?

This

go right ahead, post your time on it as well

Overwatch confirmed for trash

I have my WiiU disconnected right now, but I can post both my gamepad and a copy of the game with a legitimate timestamp. While I'm setting that up, do tell me if I should write anything else, so you don't assume that I took it from somewhere.

write your favorite flavor of ice cream on it

Post a picture of yourself covered in peanut butter

I NEED WEBMS OF THIS GAME!

I'm out of peanut butter right now. Sorry.

This I can do though. Just give me a few minutes.

>For example, I've never seen anyone in Splatoon utilize any interesting aerial moves like you could do in Unreal Tournament or Team Fortress Classic.
Aerial movement is all well and good for those games, but Splatoon is designed around the concept of being a squid, and part of that is "swimming" in the ink. It's the main method of fast movement, it refills your ammo, and it can even be used for stealth. Don't fault it and call it lesser for being entirely different from games you enjoy.

The issue is that its a gimmick that doesn't make the game better. A TPS, first and foremost, should be about either tactics or fast movement. Splatoon has neither. You just spray walls in a sloppy territorial control-esque mode. Even traditional game modes take more skill from other games, since their maps actually require you to understand distance, positioning, ambush points, and most importantly, AERIAL MANEUVERS.

You can make a game without that crucial part, but it'll be a weaker game because of it.

He said game, not fanfiction.

>Splatoon has neither
>fast movement
Please stop talking about a game you've never played.

>require you to understand distance, positioning, ambush points, and most importantly
>should be about either tactics or fast movement.
Splatoon has all of these things, especially if you wanted to get into the higher ranks

>actually engaging splatoon autists

Don't even bother.

The maps are too poorly designed. They're basically playgrounds with padding on all the sharp corners so nobody gets hurt. Again, without aerial movement, your game cannot hold up.

>stop talking about a game you've never played

Stop implying that I haven't played it. As promised, here's my proof.

>shitter who can't play trying to excuse his getting bamzai'd

>No Duelyst
>No Rabi-Ribi
>No Deus Ex
>No Atelier
Surprisingly decent list otherwise.

Of all the things you could have called that, fanfiction is wrong.

totally worth my money

>rocky road

>with padding on all the sharp corners so nobody gets hurt
but there are stage hazards on most maps as well?

Really? Being streamed anywhere?

Can you really call them hazards? I've seen custom maps on skial servers that were more dangerous, since they could actually kill you by taking you off guard.

The problem with Splatoon's hazards is like I've said: it takes no thought to avoid suffering from them.

Can you really call the deathrun variant the way counterstrike is meant to be played?

The average player falls in water at least once or twice a day, especially people panic and fall through grates or miscalculate their jumps

>that dithering
how the fuck do people do that on the wii u gamepad

Yes, because the players are allowed to customize the game to their hearts content. If Splatoon at least allowed modding, it wouldn't be such an issue. For a 60 dollar game, it would be a welcome change of pace.But no, Nintendo doesn't allow fun.

Yeah that's going real well for all the people who bought TF2 since matchmaking killed all servers

>matchmaking killed all servers

That steady 50k people playing daily doesn't seem dead to me.

Fuck off Overmeme fag.

This game was so much fun once you learned the controls, but if you go a while without playing it's fucking hard to get back into it again

doesn't help that the only people still playing it are tryhard autists.

>wanting to be good at a game now makes you a "tryhard" and an "autist"

And this is why I don't like Splatoon.

stay mad

>he doesn't like Rocky Road

What's wrong with it? As long as it's not a disgusting flavor like cookie dough. Just trying to find middle ground here.

*japanese 12-year-olds

>these webms
I never meet these people
I always end up killing them with my Custom Hydra Splatling from far away.

>bethesdoom
wow kill your self you fucking casual sack of shit.

>tfw broken back glitch will never be back

Stage rotation really just kills my interest after awhile of playing. All this fucking time and they couldn't do anything different with it. No vote system and they couldn't even make a 3 stage rotation permanent like what was used in splatfests. Just, why? The RNG gets so bad some times too where you're stuck with the same stage for more than one rotation. Bro there is only so much Moray Towers I can withstand.

It wouldn't be so bad if they just added a third map to the rotation.

If this is what the new blood at Nintendo can do, one wonders why they don't invest more in a younger generation of designers. Both eastern and western.

>Add a third map to the rotation
>Bigger hub world and more single player combat
>More arcade minigames, maybe in a dedicated arcade feeling to keep up the feel of the hub world
>Splatfests being optional.
>Pants

You first you jaded old cunt

>take my opinions seriously!
>I only play AAA trash though
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There's an arcade machine in the plaza.

i came

Yeah, I was saying there should be an arcade building in the hub with multiple cabinets.

>30fps webms of a 60fps game
>vomiting squidloli.bmp

I'm a rum raisin guy myself, just don't like choco ice cream

>cookie dough
>disgusting