Dusk dev:

Dusk dev:

>Szymanski is making sure to recapture the nonlinear, hand-built level design games like Quake had, and to include secrets and abstract architecture seen in the original Doom. But not everything from the past is being included in Dusk. “I want to avoid unintuitive navigation and overly obscure puzzles,” Szymanski said. Not everything transfers so well into the present day.

Thanks for kill my hopes, Szymanski, At least the music has some potential

youtube.com/watch?v=eOAbv_Ey6eY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S_YytS1vwsU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I'm going to show what made these games good back in the day.
>But not everything, only some things.

This is why the DOOM modding community is still active.

Actually, the “I want to avoid unintuitive navigation and overly obscure puzzles" sounds like an absolute bullshit to me. Did he even play some modern megawad? How can he think Doom or Quake levels are unintuitive or obscure?

Doom and Quake levels may not have as much props or interaction like Duke 3D but they're still good exemples of level design in this genre.

Seems really try hard. What was that other game with "pixel" textures and sci fi setting?

>nonlinear
>quake

what?

Strafe?
youtube.com/watch?v=S_YytS1vwsU

But Strafe is his own thing, he isn't an Old school FPS (roguelike+Procedural levels)

He mean mazes. See pic related

Is there any indie game that actually feels like an old game instead of a game trying to pretend to be something it isn't?

Looked like trash to begin with outside of the "view limits unbound while jumping so you can do a front/backflip" mechanic.

Did he say ALL of them were?

you fucking doom fans are so illiterate

No. You only have mods and TC.

Was he talking of THAT level? No, it's just a generalization.

and what the dude was saying was not a generalization. It was literally "I want to avoid unintuitive navigation and overly obscure puzzles" which is not saying any portion at all, small or big, most or few.

stick to your wads dork

>Levels look like they were designed by randomly placing obstacles and platforms in a bunch of open areas and the enemies seem to have retard AI dumber than a Doom enemy and look worse in motion than anything from the first Quake

There was hope to begin with?

Duke Nukem 3D had fantasic levels; well-designed, grounded in reality, and you never feel like you're totally lost. Doom and Quake had some classic levels, but there's also a boatload of them where after you beat all the demons you're left hugging every wall with your dick in your hand to try and find the exit. That's not complex level design, that's a fucking maze.

what the FUCK did you just say about DOOM yo ubitch??

Does this look like quality, grounded-in-reality level design to you?

No, but that's not the guy's point. The fun part about these games is shooting people; nobody wants to keep checking the map to get through the maze, they want to shoot demons.

how can you look at that and say that it's exceptionally bad or good in either direction? It's an open area with some hills.
why do you feel obligated to shit on anything that isn't doom?

Not him, but there is nothing wrong with maze levels. This said, I never feel truly lost in Doom or Quake, I had more problems with some modern wads.

Demons and combats are only a part of level design, not the "fun part". If it was just a room filled with monsters, Doom would be a shit.

Yeah, that would be shit. That's why interesting rooms filled with demons was always Doom's specialty. Then after you kill all the demons you get to have more puzzle hallway fun. Oh wait, that's not fun at all.

Rooms where combat happened were great, literally everything else about its level design is terrible.

>Hurr durr you must just hate anything that isn't Doom!

I'm shitting on it because it looks like shit. This was an independent conclusion I reached after watching the gameplay trailer - the movement looks cool, everything else looks like something you'd see on yoyogames.com accompanied by the description "Hey guys I used a tutorial to make this it's my first game I'm 12 please be kind :)".

Good thing we can safely rule out any interesting rooms existing in this game since they're all either hallways inside of a cabin or an open area with some hexagon platforms in it.

>Hallway puzzle fun

Hexen. The game you're thinking of is Hexen.