Is there any diminishing returns when it comes to downscaling...

Is there any diminishing returns when it comes to downscaling? How much better would a game look when it's downscaled from 5K to 1080p as opposed to 4K downscaled to 1080p.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem
red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not much at all

>a reply
Thanks, user.

you could probably pick out small differences. but it's nothing to bust your balls over.

everyones all over the 4k train and im just sitting here happy that a 970 can mostly max out 1920x1200 games

>everyones all over the 4k train
Nobody but 1080 owners are.

I'm only using 4K and 1080p as an example since most people are familiar with them.
I'm using a 480p CRT. Being a poorfag is a struggle.

That's cool, at least you actually play games.

A lot of people who bust money on new graphics cards only have like a game or two that take advantage of their tech, and on top of that games are so horribly optimized. Look at Mankind Divided, so many extra options that you could only use if you had some top of the line card but it's purely fluff. CLOTH PHYSICS. Wow.

Being poorfag made me wish that graphics and shit were toned down for perfomance and actual content. Pretty sure making the assets and all that is what helped make vidya to expensive to make. Battlefront 2015 being the best example.

1080 is still not enough for 4k60. But it is still a coveted resolution because it looks amazing. The texture clarity, the lack of aliasing, the effects, everything looks better. If you have an nvidia card try DSR or a custom resolution and you'll see it. Don't know if it's possible with AMD.

It depends on the game.

For most games it's plenty.

When will 4K @ 144Hz be the standard?

>that a 970 can mostly max out 1920x1200 games

bullshit. Cant even max out Far Cry 4 or TW3. It's already obsolete

for pc 2018

for console 2026

Most games aren't graphically demanding. GTAV or TW3 for example can't be maxed out at 4k60 with a single 1080.

user, there's a reason why he said mostly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

I can hardly see a difference between 4k to 1080, and 1440 to 1080.
I mean, it's there. But it's not that noticeable.

I don't think 144 will ever be the standard, it's hard enough to get people to understand why 60 is better than 30. Mainstream games will always push resolution at the cost of framerate.

Right. Most games can be played at 4k 60fps.

Try 1080 @144 first

>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who don't understand just how much better 120-144 fps feels compared to 60

You can't explain framerate to people. They need to experience the difference first hand.

>diminishing returns when it comes to downscaling
yes it takes tons of processing power

You're fucking retarded, by your logic even a GTX 960 is enough for 4k60 with "most games".

I'm sad to admit I was once one of these folks. I even played DS1 sans DSfix.
Then one of my friends sat me down with his rig and made me play for an hour or two, all suped up.
After going back to my shitty 30fps 1440, I couldn't stand it.

Gotta learn by experience.

That's probably true, in theory.

But a 960 can't play games 6 years old at 4k 60fps. Careful about calling people retarded when its you who is retarded.

You're gonna see a better result with native 5K reduced to 1080p with a bicubic sharper, than with 4K.

But it ain't gonna be that much.

Any larger than that, and you'll definitely be experiencing diminishing returns.

You can try it out yourself in Photoshop.

red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

native 1080p would look better than 4k on a 1080p monitor. 4k is only worth it if you have an actual 4k monitor.

yeah 144hz @ 1080p > 4k atm

It's not that noticeable on a TV (as long as you're far enough from the screen). It is very noticeable on a monitor, as you're closer.

I noticed this playing VC. It looked so much nicer I capped the FPS at 30 in favor of the visuals.

no

1440 looks the best in that pic desu

Unlikely to be anytime soon, as the average player doesn't give much of a toss for going above 30-60fps.

That means devs will be interested in optimizing for that, spending any extra horsepower on effects/surfaces/light/AI/rigging/animation/routines/worldsize.

No one said how old they have to be, kill yourself moron.

read the link retard

Wrong as fuck and i hope you kill yourself you pathetic beta cuck numale. Fucking retard spreading misinformation as usual. Stay cucked, retard.

>can't play the dozens of games that came out in the past 6 years at 4k 60fps
>b-but it can play most game at 4k 60fps
Damage control more.

Man people say retarded shit sometimes.

The article is about upscaling, not downscaling.

>A man that eats his jaggies like a good boy.

I can appreciate a game looking like a game as well.

I hope Bethesda's the only company whose game gets fucked up if you go above 60 fps.

not after reading your comment

Stop acting like a retard, it's pathetic.

It can still play most games. Move the goalpost more, shit for brains.

Up until a month ago I played on a 6 year old rig and was happy if I could get 30 fps on modern games (and was happy with 30 fps in general).
Now I've upgraded and get a constant 60. But in certain instances if the 60 drops to 45-50, I can feel it like jolt in my brain. It's really fucking weird. Especially since I'm still used to how it was just a short time ago. Fuck, I clocked 120 hours in Witcher 3 at sup 30 fps, and I thought it played fine.

That does look very pleasant.

>upscaling
>downscaling

>the same thing

:^)))))))))

It can't.

>This many buzzwords
You're American, aren't you? I can smell the diabeetus from here.

4k didn't look nearly as good. It probably has to do with the crosshatch shader's scaling.

Lots of console devs still have simulations that rely on by-frame calculations.

That's part of why porting to PC is such an issue sometimes.

It's a nasty habit for PC developers. I don't think any of the other big guys on PC will be as screwed as Beth.

For every graphically demanding game there are 20 that could run on a calculator. So guaranteed it can.

And we clearly aren't talking about those games since 4k offers nothing to them.

Yeah, there might have been a sweet spot there.

QPU aligned, or whatever.

We are talking about "most games" so that is irrelevant. And if you read the beginning of the argument you'll see that this was exactly my point, "most games" is meaningless.

It's weird, I've noticed that when I would use a 1080p wallpaper for my 1080p monitor, I could see the pixels and everything. If I put a 4k Wallpaper on my 1080p monitor though, it looks amazing and perfect.

That's very easily proven to be wrong.

Run a natively 1080p game on a 720p TV. Or on an SD TV for that matter. It's guaranteed to look better than something rendered at the native resolution.

Most games as in games you need a GPU for you mong. 'Most games" don't even require a GPU and have nothing to do with this thread or our topic.

Damage control more.

No one said "most games you need a GPU for". The goalpost is "most games". Keep trying to move it you fucking retard.

That's not weird, at least not if it's a non-AA game screenshot you're using for a wallpaper.

>I come to 4k 60fps threads to talk about irrelevant calculator games
Bravo.

This was exactly my thought when you said "most games". Bravo.
Dumb fuck.

The thread is about downscaling and diminishing returns.

As someone with a 3440x1440 100hz monitor, I don't think resolution is that big of a deal.

I can't tell the difference between 1440p and 1080p unless you're using the wrong resolution on the monitor. (I'm talking about two different monitors side by side)

You just need to use the native resolution of your monitor, or play windowed.

Downsampling is really only good for games that are old and you can spare the horsepower, but in my opinion DSR makes it really blurry.

>but in my opinion DSR makes it really blurry
Did you miss the blur % setting below it?

Unless you're using 0% it's blurry.
You'd have to be downsampling at a perfect 1/4th scale or 4x resolution to make the scaling fine.

Yeah Nvidia uses a very cheap/fast gaussian filter for scaling. In my opinion the default 33% smoothness setting produces the best compromise between aliasing and blur UNLESS you do full multiples of 2x2 (4x) of your native resolution. In which, as you said, you can use 0% without added aliasing.

Of course you can always use GeDoSaTo which has additional scaling algorithms that look really nice.

You can also make a custom resolution with the control panel and it won't have that scaling aliasing that you get with DSR. I don't know why DSR fucks it up when a custom resolution doesn't.

Because if you use custom resolution, you're handing it over to your display. Which can have varying degrees of success, mine instantly blows up at UHD unless I make it 30 Hz.

The scaling also depends on the scaling engine in your panel, which may vary from panel to panel (even within the same monitor model). I think nowadays all of them are pretty good so they should all be better than DSR's scaling method, but I remember people used to hunt down displays with nice scaling engines so they could run non-native resolutions decently.

Downscaling can make games look completely different

Native 1080p

4 or 5k or whatever

Anything above 60hz is retarded unless you're OK with 1080p medium settings for the next decade

Interesting, thanks for the explanation user

Well yes. It's gets rid of them jaggies people have been complaining about. So we all can focus on the actual surfaces that we spend all our per-pixel shading cycles on.

Mmm, all dat detail.

Fuck off Kristian

>add sharpening to native 1080p
>looks the same
Is 4k a scam?

>that ringing
No thanks.

Not really, it's an improvement over 1080p but at the same time strains the eyes

NEVER

I have a 680. Does DSR enable if I just go into any game and use a resolution higher than what I have? that simple?

Yup. It's incredibly simple.

that's neat as fuck

Yeah, it's called Virtual Super Resolution in your display settings with AMD.

Nobody should be able to notice the difference between downscaling from 4k or 5k, primarily because the pixel ratio goes to shit from 1:4 to something that doesn't divide properly by 2.

Older games have ui issues when you do it, but it'll work often enough.
>can't play x3 because too many jaggies
>looks perfect downsampled from 4k, but the ui is 1/4th the size
Fuck

I know the pain. I've been playing like this on a 24" monitor. And that's only x2.

Fucking brutal friend.

So when's the sequel of that game coming out?
It's the only good lord of the rings game we've had in years

>buddy buys 1060
>literally only ever plays WoW, Hearthstone and rocket league
>meanwhile I play LoL, WoW and random old singleplayer games (HoMaM,Max Payne, FEAR and the like), occasionally Battelfield or Overwatch
>happy with my HD7850

I'd like to get a 1080 and fucking smash any game on my 1080p screen, but being poorfag sucks. Barely managed to replace the PSU on this rig.

I was bored to death before the second area.