Why do GOTY contenders always end up being M-rated games with a focus on narrative and mature themes rather than...

Why do GOTY contenders always end up being M-rated games with a focus on narrative and mature themes rather than gameplay? I mean, it is called GAME of the year, not book of the year.

When was the last time a non-Nintendo E or T-rated game was recognized as GOTY?

The uncharted series

industry wants hollywood recognition

>non nintendo

But the big N are the only ones who care about gameplay now days user.

Moviegame, doesn't count

Western audience have shit taste

What, like Overwatch? Cred Forums hates games that focus on gameplay. It needs a 3deep5u story so people feel smart or cool while they play it.

>Cred Forums hates games that focus on gameplay

Arkham City

Youtube is so great right LOL I love to meme

Because Nintendo games aren't the target audience of the people who run these events, just like how you won't see something like zootopia going for any awards with the exclusion for 'best animated film' or of the like. Also we have hit a point where the gameplay itself has become unimportant to those who hand out these awards because they'd rather have this image of high brow intellectual writing over the technical quality of the game. If you want these sort of games to be recognized make a YouTube channel and talk about it there.

Telltale games, Ace Attorney, Stalker, etc are all the kind of games Cred Forums jerks their collective dicks to.

Because casuals only care about good graphics and story. They are susceptible to expensive marketing campaigns.

Witcher 3 is the best example.
From a gameplay perspective it's utter shit but still won a plethora of GOTY awards because it looks nice and has a TV show style story.

>make a YouTube channel on the sea of literally whos

Yeah ok pal, good idea. This isn't 2006 anymore, you need money and agents and contractors to get anywhere with YouTube.

this, all this. the medium just wants to be taken seriously. we'll get it, just like film did after... almost a century

Not with that attitude user, people look for quality videos that come out frequently. As long as you speak clearly and truthfully people will come.

>I've never played Stalker
>Ace Attorney doesn't have good gameplay

On the topic, why has this year been so fucking weak?

I can count the amount of games I have bought on two hands and the amount I've enjoyed on my nipples.

Recognized by who? Cred Forums?
Don't make me laugh, those are just the one that scream louder.
This whole board is a joke.

How do girls even manage a piss bottle.
At least us guys with an average sized penis have 8 soft inches to snake into a bottle. Girls just have those freakish crotch holes.

great post

you rise above us all

I can count the number of new releases I've played on one hand and not use any fingers.

Because GOTY, like movie awards, are bought, not earned.

2016 has been good though? I've played and enjoyed
Xcom 2
FE Fates
Ratchet and Clank
Dark Souls 3
Overwatch
Doom
Total War Warhammer
Deus Ex MD
even fucking Recore wasn't so bad

And still looking forward to FH3 next week, Dishonored 2, Gears 4, Titanfall 2. I'm liking this year more than the previous 5 at least

Wasn't Rocket League a big contender for GOTY last year.

Cmon son.

It'll probably be overwatch this year which is T

Ha ha. The baby girl is sad she can't play M-rated games

/thread

>girl

Fallout

Because a game is still a game even if your autistic hatred of cutscenes makes you believe it isn't a game.

>2016 has been good though?
Well, has it or hasn't it?