ITT: Games that require incredible mental discipline

ITT: Games that require incredible mental discipline

>mental discipline
How very tolerant and politically correct of you, user, thank you for making this board a better place.

You're joking, right? All you need to get good at DOTA is to put 2000 hours into the game to compete with all the losers who spend 18 hours a day playing. Same with CSGO. Either that or hack. Ahh, the wonders of PC gaming...

>tfw play with friends twice a month against bots since the beta and have fuckton of fun, not caring about meta/leet skills/MMR/

I played dota for fun until it died in 2011 which was when I tried lol and learnt all about carries, supports, kiting and all that strategic nonsense that ruined the next 2700 hours I put into dota 2, never feeling as satisfied as when I was playing for fun and not caring about winning games (which I do easily now)

learning how to play the game ruined it for me and I havent touched it in a month

>solo MMR
>accurate

how does practicing something for 2k hours not fall under mental discipline?

i've played this stupid fucking game for ten years

ten
years

i want to kill myself

>griefing and trolling your way through an imbalanced, poorly designed game requires incredible mental discipline
Okay

game is fun af as long as you don't care about the MMR nonsense.

Fighting games. It's so easy to crack.

almost 6000 hours over 7.5 years here.
I want to enjoy other games, make it stop.

Honestly any game that puts pressure on you, i believe normal RTS require higher mental discipline to get into than MOBAs though.
Who here has had problem with even clicking on search match? its so frustrating sometimes

BUT user OTHER GAMES ARE JUST NOT AS GOOD
I know even eternity can get boring but what else will you play?

DOTA is more mentally taxing than chess or go and requires the dexterity and hand to eye coordination of Olympic athletes. It also requires an elite level of cardiovascular fitness and stamina.

It's the sport (DOTA is not merely a "game") of the mental and physical elite.

>all you need to get good at x is to spend a lot of time on it
Stunning observation user

I know a guy like this. All he seems to play is dota and he doesn't even appear to enjoy it usually. He buys other games plays them briefly and then just goes back to dota. His backlog is just growing and growing.

Battlerite, Bloodline Champions 1.5 requires 24/7 concentration
It's like a faster eternal doto teamfight on steroids

well said
how can other games even compete?

I wish I could just specify my role before even queueing.

>tfw will never return to the glory days of Garena or playing it with my black poorfag friends on Hamachi

This is the only thing keeping me from playing all the time, don't have the energy to fight with Russians kids whenever I want to playing anything but pos 4/5.

You're probably gonna argue how some of these aren't right or something, but in dota, just in laning phase you have to do the following things. As a carry atleast
>Focus on last hitting
>Looking at enemy supports items inbetween last hits occasionally to see their items
>focus on keeping the lane in the same place
>Know when to push to lane so you can pull
>Look at the minimap to know if enemy mid or supports are missing
>think about the exact second when to dart to the side shop to get your item and get back without missing that 1 last hit
>think of your item build
>be ready to tp if youre needed
>be ready to go on the offlaner if your support is trying to do it too
>when having a free lane, know when to push the lane, farm a jungle camp then come back
The worst thing you can do in Dota is get comfortable in doing what's easy and youre used to, like tunnel visioning while last hitting

Thatr's like half the players past the mentally challenged brackets
Especially these days, when every patch brings new stuff to figure out, sure, but we're all just so jaded and dissapointed at these all these dumb mechanics that keep popping up, rubberband, making the game easier, memepush etc.
No one expects a good patch, just a bit less shitty than the last one

CYKA

>Garena
>all those time spamming to get into a 224/225 room
>endless -switch shenanigans
>people left with minimal risk for ban instead of dragging the game into a 45 minute shitshow
>when you were winning a 4vs5 and they rage quitted one after another

>moba teamfights
>skill
mashing QWER isnt a skill
t. 2k hours in dota

More like t. 0.2k mmr

>guys, why can't i kill tinker?!
>im pressing all the buttons!

Every answer but fighting games is factually wrong. If you don't hate yourself, you'll never become good.

I don't think you know what mental discipline is. Dota is about memorization. Memorize heros, memorize skills, memorize situations. Once you learn that you CAN do something, you can do it every time. There is minimal execution skill required. It definitely requires some mental discipline, but not "incredible".

You're fucking garbage kid

>All you need to get good at DOTA is to put 2000 hours into the game to compete with all the losers who spend 18 hours a day playing.
If you're legit saying you just need to put in 2k hours to become a pro
Then slay yourself my dude

>trying to git gud at dota 2
>at least somewhat competent player
>trying to get into alchemist because i like his kit
>match with 3 mexicans on my team
>none of the beaners speak english
>all of them are at least 0/5 by 12 minutes
>the invoker and i are actually getting kills when we can despite the fact my farm is shit because all three of them went bot and i was alone top getting harassed

Could have been a good game if we could replace the fucking beaners.

This is mostly not true.
Dota and most mobas revolve around variety in the formulas. That's why we are still playing the same map after 10 years, every game is different.
There's not that much variety in items, since most players do pretty much the same thing with each item.
But how people position, how they bait, how they smoke, how they push highground, how they go all in on a baserace, these are all player specific.
It's like saying Quake is just memorization of how much i advance you need to shoot, when i reality players don't run in a straight line.
There's also such high level of memorization when playing at a higher level, that it's like saying chess is just memorization

>it's like saying chess is just memorization
It kind of is at this point.

You are right to a degree, that there is a social aspect to it as well. But IMO chess IS a lot about memorization. I have a friend who plays in tournaments, and he has memorized entire books of different situations. When I asked him how many steps ahead he actually thinks about before making a move, he says he doesn't have to look that far for most moves, because he already knows how the situation will unfold.

As for quake, if you lose your focus for 30s in a match (say you take a phone call) you will absolutely get crushed in those 30s. In dota, provided you are not in a team fight (team fights are what, 5% of total game time?), you will be fine. Quake is 10 minutes mental stress test, while dota is more relaxed.

Do yourself a favor and don't pick alchemist m8
He's part of the legendary Farm Vacuum Triumviratum

chess is memorization you fucking buffoon

quake isnt, its skill-based

the point with chess is that there's so much memorization that most people can't handle it.
It's more a prediction based on what you saw happen or think you remember happening the last time you had this situation.

I always thought quake was like 15 seconds of jumping around getting hp and ammo, then like 10-15 of fighting?
I don't think it's that big of a difference if you have concentrate 15 secs then 15 secs of chill rather than 5 mins then 3-4 mins

The points were
>Chess
see>skillbased
The point was that saying Dota is memorization is like saying Quake is memorization, since all you gotta remember is how far in advance to shoot the bullet at the moving enemy. But it's not like that. Things vary because of the enemy player, he doesn't just run straight. He might jump, he might turn, he might not be there at all

>tinker
>not dying to a breeze

And also cringey faggot ass douchebag behaviour

Dota 2, LoL, and other moba shit have the most cancerous community i've ever seen in all my years of gaming, and the worst thing is that its a shitty game

6800 hours at dota

Dota is about
1. Positioning
2. Itemization
If you start tilting, you get into a position where you generally can't do either.

To improve your performance under rage, instead of tilting: That is a big part of mental discipline

can relate

MOBA PLAYERS ARE SUBHUMAN SCUM ANYONE WHO RESPECTS HIMSELF WOULD NOT PLAY FREE2PLAY GAMES YOU CLAIM SUPERIORITY BUT IN REALITY YOU JUST PLAY WITH FUCKING SLAVS OR POOR FUCKS AROUND THE WORLD

If you mash your QWER wrong, you fail to do anything.
If you are out of position, you might not be able to get of your QWER
If you forget to communicate, you might waste that 1700-1900 range initiation that Blink allows you, because it takes your allies 4 seconds to cross 2000 units.

NA Dota is the pinnacle of anti gaming.
there i said it.
pro teams dont count, im talking normal queue here.

Why? So you would get a 2k support who can't zone, hurts your laning, can't pull, can't stack, can't deward, and doesn't understand that you need to place new wards outside of the zone of a deward?

Or get a 2k carry who can't lasthit, farm, itemize or teamfight?

I played with a Bloodseeker who wouldn't let me pull. Every time I went to, he'd stand in the way and start attacking the mobs. He'd be feeding EXP to the offlaners, and destroying his HP. I think he thought I was stealing potential gold from him, or something.

I'd go to stack, he'd follow me, I'd spam the time "8:50 8:50 8:51" and "X" him, he'd use his ritual skill and fight the stack I had there, all when we had a creepwave right next to us he could be farming.

Playing a good support and saving your retard carrys ass multiple times is theb est way of mmr grind unless you are really good on certain mid/carries.

A good support is way much more worth than a good carry.

t. 5,2k support/offlane player

This is poor bait from someone who doesn't play CSGO or DotA, but some people think like that.

In 2000h of DotA, you barely scratched the surface.

>Wasting 2000h+ of your life on one game that isn't even that good
ASSFAGGOTS

It just seems to grip some people and not let them go. I don't find anything about it particularly satisfying. I only ever played them to play with friends.

DotA is like meth or an abusive relationship.
You can't get out no matter how much you try. It hurts you, makes you miserable, but you always come back, hoping to have one more of those amazing moments.

You went too deep user. I have only 2k5 hours but I feel your pain. I stopped playing for 10months because of reasons, and one month ago I said fuck it, and played a game.

Now I'm playing as soon as I get back home from work, don't sleep because I have to play more, and dota is the only thing I'm thinking about, I even dream of it. fuck this game.

The ONLY genre that takes any kind of discipline are Fighting games and extremely high level RTS

but we're all just so jaded and dissapointed at these all these dumb mechanics that keep popping up, rubberband, making the game easier, memepush etc.

I felt this way but then realised most of the changes were good. Before some things we were used to were simply retarded. DotA is improving and is more balanced than it's ever been.

same here man, give it up, it was the best decision of my life

Well, it's not wasting time if you enjoy it.

Tons of people watch TV, sleep more than 7h a day, talk to other people, go to parties, go shopping, or spend hours and hours on facebook. Some spend thousands of hours doing sports like football, rock climbing, tennis, without wanting to go pro, just for fun. This is also wasting time.

True dat
I can't stand playing 40+ minute games constantly

Not him but I just think it's a shame when people don't experience any of the good games that come out because they're just playing dota for 7000 hours.

It would be like having reading as a hobby and just rereading the same book.

This goes to autism territory. If you drive with the intention to win, you have to just run laps alone around 40 at a time.
While you're shaving those critical tenths off your laptime, just merely thinking "oh please don't fuck this up" can lead to making a mistake. You just gotta go into your Flow mode and during a race have absolute focus.

Oh, of course user. Playing DotA, even like a madman shouldn't stop you from enjoying or playing other games, you're right.

In my case I still pirate and try most games that get released, I just spend tons of time on dota and CSGO. Because DotA is almost as fun as your first orgasm with a girl, and literally as fun as cumming while on meth, and CSGO because I've been playing CS for 15 years, and I'm LEM/almost global in GO, so I play to maintain a decent level.

Also because imo they are the only 2 games worth playing at a competitive level.

I just don't get the appeal of either of them. When I want to compete I play fighting games, I prefer 1v1 and not being dragged down by some 13 year old from peru.

shut the fuck up kid, you're just bad

Dota 2 is a great game.

Who am I kidding, it's fucking shit and I fucking can't stop playing for some reason. Kill me.

Team games are just more frustrating than they're worth. Go look at the dotabuff of some dude with good mmr, he'll lose a bunch of games where he played outstanding. If I play a 1v1 game and play outstanding I win.

ranked all pick and random draft pubs are the only fun modes

I had fun in Captain's Mode.

>mfw gets to be captain and picked 1 carry 4 supports and I'm the one that gets to play the carry
>proceed to feed

It does require mental discipline , but for the wrong reasons. Dealing with the illiterate primitive shits that make up most of its playerbase is a monumental task in itself

street fighter 3s
your whole mental condition depend on your opponent if you are not that adaptable and always going for combos and if you easily give up because of not pulling off combos than its really hard, i used to consider myself a really good player a while ago i played with a jap player and all previous confidence went to dirt i really saw some amazing things didn't even knew if they were possible

Dota 2 IS a great game.

The majority of the people who play it are fucking worthless animals though.

Fucking shitters. "I don't want to play support, but I can't play core or carry either :^)"

I understand the appeal of fightan games user, and I enjoy them casually, and understand perfectly your point of view on mobas. Mobas or FPS aren't for everyone, just like you and I could both hate starcraft, and some dude could like starcraft and hate the games we like.

The problem with fightan games is that in my case, it's either single player gaming or competitive gaming, trying to improve and climb the ranks. And fightan games have a very high skill ceiling like dota or CS, and I simply can't spend time trying to git gud at SFIV for exemple. DotA and CS at decent level are already too time consuming.

DotA is one of my favorite games of all time, it's literally perfection to me, and I've been playing every version of CS since before 1.5, and GO is just the perfect mix of them all, it's just too addicting.

you can only feed so much on your own.supports are literally supposed to babysit most carry heroes.

Support, played properly, is the easiest way to grind MMR, over 3.4k
Below that, the carry might be too trash to leverage anything, meaning roaming support is magnitudes superior.

>thread about games that require mental discipline
>nearly 100 shitposts about dota

Here's a few for you:
Quake
Starcraft BW
Quake 3 CPMA
Age of Empires 2: AOK
Super Street Fighter 2
CS 1.6
Warcraft 3
Smash Bros Melee
Painkiller
Starcraft 2
Dawn of War 2
Pirates, Vikings, and Knights 2
Rocket League
Multiplayer Tetris.

Now can we shitpost about games that don't center on walking back and forth in one spot for 30 minutes?

I can understand if you play this game with friends, but solo? is a suicide and only will affect your mental healthy

I was reading a book (about interjections, oddly enough) yesterday which included the phrase “In these days of political correctness…” talking about no longer making jokes that denigrated people for their culture or for the colour of their skin. And I thought, “That’s not actually anything to do with ‘political correctness’. That’s just treating other people with respect.”

Which made me oddly happy. I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase “politically correct” wherever we could with “treating other people with respect”, and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening.

I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking “Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!”

this.When I don't know shit about the game I'm having fun.But once I start learning I get mad at shitters who don't know how to play

how fucking thin skinned are you

I also enjoy replacing the word "lynch(ed)" with "hug(ged)". Really let's me ignore reality.