What are some Lovecraft inspired games Cred Forums?

What are some Lovecraft inspired games Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.net/scp-1425
maher.filfre.net/King/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The secret world, worth every penny.

>inb4 that one guy starts ranting about how Bloodborne isn't inspired by Lovecraft
We know it's you OP.

Pretty good one, lots of spooky mind games stuff. You probably already know it though

Bloodborne

Consuming Shadow

Cthulhu saves the world

I was trying to find good lovecraftian games earlier this day but everything seems to be more or less pixelated indie crap. Looking forward to The Sinking City and Call of Cthulhu

OP here, thanks for the recommendations except Blood borne gonna emulate eternal darkness first and see how that goes.

Fucken knew it faggot

>Color from Outer Space
It's Color from OUT OF Space.

Sunless Sea

No Darkest dungeon? C'mon

Kek

Amnesia The Dark Descent

Solomon Island is pretty neat, everything else sucks.

>disfigured abominations = lovecraftian
Why are fromdrones so retarded?

Pls stop user

>what is dreamworld stuff
kys

Grim dawn.

Clive Barker's Undying

Don't respond, it's one dude who makes these threads just to bait people into saying bloodborne so he can "argue" with them in circles for hours

Sunless Sea kinda.

Bloodborne

If you say Bloodborne is not Lovecraft inspired, you're a retard who should be put down, or a troll that should be put down

>tfw no game where you can play as brown jenkins making people crazy

feels bad

What exactly makes something "lovecraftian?" Is it just the threat of some massive, spooky and unknown threat? Deep-sea stuff? Seems like kind of a fast and loose term to me.

ED is only spooky if you suck at the game. The good things happen when your sanity is low.

Lovecraft inspired but not lovecraftian.

I wanted to play it but after watching the Game Dungeon episode on it I chose not to. It seems like an incredible game but with so much things that would drive me insane.

would anyone classify La-Mulana as Lovecraftian?

I mean, it made me feel like an insignificant little human being having to use a pen and paper to uncover the mysteries of the ruins.

Call of Cthulhu
Alone in the Dark
Anchorhead

There's also that one set on an icebreaker in the arctic, Cryostatis something or other

>Irem, the Pillared City. She will rise from the zee and the ice like dawn. She will be garlanded with red and decked with gold. The Seven-Serpent will watch you longingly from its high pedestal. You will always arrive as a stranger, but when you leave, some part of you will always remain.

>Look at the wiki
>In an age preceding the creation of the mortal planes, an elder god was betrayed by his children; his body torn apart and drained of blood so that they could use its power to breathe life into their own creations. His remains were cast out of creation into a void but, incapable of death, the god lingered on in the darkness, doomed to an eternity of pain and madness; feeling the suffering and death of all mortal things that were given life from his blood. His name forgotten by time, the dying god is known only as Ch'thon; he who dwells below creation.

I just bought the game based on this description alone

This shit sounds so fucking metal

Generally I like to think of it as something that evokes that particular type of creeping horror, that sense of distorted reality and lingering madness.

Quite a bit of The Secret World falls into this, and Eternal Darkness is absolutely one of the best examples. Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth is good if you're thinking more literally, though be aware there's a part maybe 75% of the way into the game that will break entirely if your computer doesn't have the right graphics deal - there's ways to fake around it but it sucks to encounter. Even on my new laptop I couldn't do it without having to shoot blindly into the aether.

Consuming Shadows was built explicitly with this in mind, and it plays with madness and encroaching entities of unfathomable power. That's what most people are thinking about when they say Lovecraftian, I think. The sort of thing that makes you realize that you can't really defeat the big bad, only stop them for a time.

Lovecraft wrote a lot of different types of stories, so there's no hard definition that everyone agrees on, really. But those are some of the common themes.

>no diablo style RPG inspired on lovecrafnian mythology

I would be so good and so easy to make

>Lovecraft inspired
Every game is inspired you retard because Lovecraft did not make those games.

If you want to use that constellation, use Doom Bolt. It makes it deal about 2x the damage, and it goes from a good nuke straight into pure anal devastation for anything that looks at you the wrong way.

Grim Dawn, dumbass

Read up on cosmic horror

one core concept is the following
Humans are nothing but maggots to the gods, the gods are always really old and incomprehensible to the human mind (hearing the true name of some can drive the weak minded insane, let alone the sight of it)

And yeah, deap sea, space and tentacles are part if it tok

>dumbass
Wow why so rude?

Because you're too dumb to read the posts above you
>rude
Fresh from reddit uh?

Not me, friend.

Yeah rude. You could also say impolite

>loved TSW
>gave up halfway through Solomon Island because of the shit gameplay

Making it an MMO was the worst choice, it shouldv'e been a single player puzzle action RPG. Seeing other players screwing around in the same area ruins the moods and the combat is the worst.

You have no idea how often people say that, and yeah, its totally true. I also gave up shortly after finishing the first act and it was a fucking torture chamber making it that far. Why they even made it an MMO is beyond me.

The idea of a "abstract god like horror" having cultists and abominations themed loosely around the deep sea trying to kill you and/or make you insane like them.

There very few games that match that exactly, but the important themes are abstract horrors and insanity.

HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN T

Nice

Top fucking kekd when I got it

no mention of Sherlock Holmes: the Awakened yet?

Crown of the Sunken King gave me the biggest Lovecraft vibe out of any game I've ever played. If anyone has ever read Mountains of Madness that's exactly what I imagined the subterranean city in Antarctica to look like. Crazy architecture, intricate carvings, dark hallways

I was pleasantly surprised by Eldritch. I just played it to test out my steam controller but I ended up staying for the ride

All DaS2 dlc was boring as fuck.

The underground water beasts were pretty GOAT tho

>Humans are nothing but maggots to the gods

I'll ram my fuckin' boat into yur gob, mate

>Top fucking kekd when I got it
I don't get it ;_;

Bloodborne is the best lovecraft anything made. Get fucked op you baiting faggot

THE BEST, THE BEST, THE BEST

They had the best bosses though. Burnt Ivory King is the best boss fight out of any souls game I've played (DeS, DaS, DaSII)

That's a common theme in Lovecraftian stuff, but no.

That's definitely one of his best stories.

Dead Space
Specially 3 because it feels like at the mountains of madness

Oh shit, thanks user
Maybe's __Rival__ a best.

That's not a joke, it's just a quote from the game

Oh I thought it was because "the sunless sea" rhymes with "the best of me" turns out the song lyric is actually "the best of you," oh well

A bunch of nutty shit thats hard to understand or comprehend has a human. Lovecraft wrote a bunch of shit, so it doesn't have to be space gods and squid monsters.

>allowing Is Not amalgam trash on your ship
I bet you like the Rubbery Man, too

This game looks dumb enough to be worth playing.

Definitely worth the 2 or 3 bucks I paid for it

read the original material, faggot. just because a game does it because of "muh vidyas" doesn't mean it's not true

>he wants a weird, hook-handed magician instead of a bright, tattooed top qt
>he doesn't like the Shalt-Flions
To be honest I haven't finished the Magician's story, desu, only just started playing again for the first time in ages

>he wants a weird, hook-handed magician instead of a bright, tattooed top qt
>he doesn't like the Shalt-Flions
To be honest I haven't finished the Magician's story, senpai, only just started playing again for the first time in ages

The Magician hunts what Is Not and triumphs

Except when he doesn't

how abou formeless great ones, mind bending timelines an layers of nightmares. u butthurt babby who cant play best game of 2010

miyazaki said blood borne is inspired by cthulhu mythos not allway by lovecraft

Our Darker Purpose but only apparent in chapter 4.

>autism incarnate

>that spoiler
That's depressing. Such is life at Zee, I guess. I was really saddened when I couldn't save Phoebe in my current playthrough.

Also, to touch on what you said before, it's been a while but I remember Maybe's Daughter didn't get along with either of her parents?
Also also, have you played Fallen London and if so, is it good?

lovecraft was a faggot, his works are overrated as fuck

>faggot
he had a wife. what do you have? just a hand?

Spotted the nigger

A jew wife
Ironic, I would say

are you retarded?

No
You?

silent hill 1 and 3 got this hard to understand aspect of giving the birth to god, and what is this mortal god and the forces in silent hill.

>tfw he never reproduced
>you will never court and marry a female descendent of Lovecraft and have weird cosmic alien sex with her

>mfw the thing on the doorstep
how about no

Maybe's Mother is a Parabolan Panther who didn't want to hang around to raise a child so I imagine their relationship is pretty strained

Fallen London is, well. It's not good and it's not bad. The writing and the storylines are quality but what passes for gameplay is abysmal. If you thought the grind in Sunless Sea was bad, it's nothing to Fallen London. There's also the slight fact that FL limits the amount of "actions" you can take in a single real life day, so the moment you're really getting into something you've hit the cap and it's time to stop. You can buy a doubled cap and action refills, of course, but whether you'd want to is another matter.

i think silent hill has inspired blood borne too. the game even got pyramid head helmet.

This game has some serious lovecraftian shit going on, although it takes several playthroughs to experience the full extent of it.

Going to the archway and sacrificing slaves just to speak to whatever is on the other side was fucking intense. Going back with the suit and stepping through to talk to them yourself even moreso.

>his works are overrated as fuck

he was a borderline nobody in his time and has only experienced serious popularity 80+ years after his death by being posthumously credited with helping lay the foundations for modern horror.

overrated.

The thing is that Fallen London is just a browser game. So there is no real "gameplay" to speak of besides deciding what the best choices to click on are. If you've ever played Kingdom of Loathing it's kind of like that. The only reason to play is that some of the writing is pretty good.
For most of it though the tone is a lot more light-hearted than Sunless Sea. In part that's because it's actually a setting thing that in most of the land in the Neath it's very hard to die, stuff that should kill you you just wake up from most of the time, whereas on the Zee everything is horribly lethal. So stuff that is genuinely dire in Sunless Sea is more slapstick in Fallen London.
There is the occasional bit of well-written actual horror in it though. You just have to do a lot of grinding to get there. Unless of course you feel like giving the game your money to speed that along.

I though Maybe's Mother A spy like her, just one that got into some weird magical shit. I thought the panther that you meet in your dream was actually supposed to be Leopold, who is Maybe's real father. And that he can just appear in other peoples' dreams like that because he knows crazy tricks with Prisoner's/Gaoler's Honey that no one else does.

It's been a while since I played and I've forgotten most of the specifics, I just remember there's a cat involved in there somewhere

If he's a Parabolan cat then he can show up in your dreams simply by virtue of being Parabolan. At least I'm pretty sure cats can do it, usually it's Fingerkings and snakes like with the Mechanic

I don't know if you're serious but people delayed Cthulhu awakening by ramming a boat into him. Lovecraft wrote that.

>two Lovecraft threads
Thankfully this one has less shitposting

It's basically already dead. I wish there was a constant horror thread here or at least on /vg/. Wouldn't mind a lovecraft general either.

It's been a while since I've played it to, but from what I remember
When you find the right port for Maybe's mother the two of them just disappear together for a little while and you never get to hear what they say. Maybe asks you to take her to the Real Estate place afterwards. And then you have the dream about the cat in a rose garden who compliments you for helping the girl and then gives you some magic stuff. In Fallen London there's like a fragment of lore about a guy who used to know Leopold before he became the Pirate King, and that he keeps having strange dreams about being visited by a jungle cat.

Real talk: Morrowind. Not talking about enemy design (although that has taken inspo from Lovecraft as well) but mostly the story and lore.

>that spoiler
...I'm not in any way sure how that works, but yeah, I can imagine she wouldn't be too impressed. pretty hot, though

>spoiler
Damn, I can remember it being implied/stated that they were spies, but I don't remember anything about a dream. Guess it's good I'm replaying it again, even if starting from scratch is a grind.

>Fallen London
Much appreciated, anons, I'll try it out. The grind shouldn't be too bad, as long as the writing is interesting enough to keep me going I love Pathologic, after all. At least a browser game has a fairly slow pace to it; Sunless Sea is really absorbing, even though half the time I have no idea what's really going on or what things are. The worst thing about grinding SS was that I had no idea if I was doing anything right, so I ended up running sapphires for a while before I think falling off the edge of the world and dying.

Thanks again, anons.

I wouldn't really call it Lovecraftian but it does have some of the best video game lore I've ever read through. I guess intense lore is half the reason people play lovecraftian games anyway.

The whole dreamworld and godhead thing is pretty Lovecraftian I'd say.

The thing about the Pirate King is that he was lost in Parabola as a child and raised by cats, hence his affinity for dreams and all the cat imagery he uses. He's not entirely human any more

I think. It's definitely something like that. Really not my strong point. Now the Dawn Machine, on the other hand, I know a bit about

POST MORE LOVECRAFT GAMES

I'm certain that I remember it just flat out mentioned at some point that Maybe's family were spies, but it wasn't made that big a deal out of. Granted the magical stuff is much more interesting, and practically everybody in the Neath is a fucking spy anyway.

I don't remember ever finding that bit about the Pirate King. Was that in Fallen London somewhere, or some branch of Sunless Sea that I never got to?

Where Irem lies (will lie, has always lain).

Is it better than torchlight 2?

I honestly can't remember. The thing about the lore is that there's never one single answer, it's all implications in a half dozen different, unrelated events

A fucking lot better.

In Sunless Sea the Clay Pirate is a mysterious, foreboding, and deadly figure that you have to deal with a Satanic Seamstress to even get near to. In Fallen London you fuck her after impressing her in a poetry jam.

In Fallen London, Polythreme is a place you need a special, living, screaming map to find. In Sunless Sea it's just another island you stumble across

>Now the Dawn Machine, on the other hand, I know a bit about
None understand the Dawn Machine, but all fear it.

Yeah, I believe it's mentioned explicitly in one of the port visits, though I can't remember which one (or maybe after she visits her mother?) I remember the dream now that you detailed it, though.

>In Fallen London you fuck her after impressing her in a poetry jam.
Poetry is pretty important, user.

...is background reading for this game/Fallen London necessary/helpful? I'm not exactly well-read for the period, so I feel like I must be missing a lot of references.

The Dawn Machine is a god

A very angry, hateful god

Well, considering I just ran into that Bright-Eyed Sequencer who wanted my Sphinxstone, I'm really glad I said no.
''None so blind as those who will not rise.'' Fuck progress, lady.

Would you sign your name into Book of Azathoth at the center of all infinity, Cred Forums? I know I would.

Hey lads I read a neato SCP the other day
scp-wiki.net/scp-1425

I have hopes that That Which Sleeps is going to be good, but I haven't kept up with its development at all.

What delayed him was the stars no longer being right. They may have saved themselves by escaping, but ramming the boat into his head didn't make him go "ow, fuck this I'm going back to sleep"

That is exactly what did it though, he was still forming and was in a weakened state so the boat smashing into his face made him call it quits and fuck off back to his city.

Don't ever raise Supremacy: Dawn Machine to 7

Not if you value Port Carnelian

Fallen london anons.
How many of you have found the name of Mr. Eaten?

Nice joke user

It's The Light On The Edge Of Sleep

Consuming Shadow

Nicely spooky, user. Thanks.
Did it mean to imply that to some level, it had in fact managed to restructure history (with the revolution in India, for example?)

>Don't ever raise Supremacy: Dawn Machine to 7
>Not if you value Port Carnelian
Fuck, thanks user. I remember working with someone last playthrough - the Admiralty, a diplomat? - that raised it intermittently, but it never got that high. Thank Salt, because I need my sapphires.

I haven't played Fallen London in some time, but I heard that actually getting to the meat of that story arc was only available for a limited amount of time. And that if you didn't have a specific dream at a specific level during that time you'd never be able to pursue it.

Your reflection grins at you comfortingly. "Don't go NORTH," it says.

What is the Dawn Machine Cred Forums, what purpose does it serve and why does Failbetter refuse to give us any fucking answers.

SMEN was ended because it was the pet storyline of the main writer and entirely unsupported, which led to him putting it on hiatus after one person got really pissy that they lost a lot of shit to it despite all the warnings

Supposedly it'll come back in a nerfed way, with actual bug support and available to the community at large instead of a small number of grind happy masochists

I can answer that, if you really want

Is it "THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE"

Supposedly Mr. Eaten's name was at one point Mr. Cups.

His name was Mr Candles, Cups is Mirrors

>>SMEN was ended because it was the pet storyline of the main writer and entirely unsupported, which led to him putting it on hiatus after one person got really pissy that they lost a lot of shit to it despite all the warnings
>Include cool, but unsupported content
>Someone tries it out despite the warnings, and fucks himself over
>Decided to complain about it and leads to it getting removed
People are the fucking worst.

Not that user, I'm the one you helped out before, but I think I'll take off before you do, to avoid the temptation of being spoiled. Thanks for a comfy thread, user.

Ah.

Where to start. Okay. There is a great Chain in creation. The beings at the top of the Chain are the gods known as the Judgements. They are the stars, and the Sun is one of them

The Light of the Judgements is how they spread their Law. They decide what Is and what Is Not.

The London Admiralty, in hubris and ignorance, decided to bring Light and Law to the Neath by constructing their own Judgement.

The Dawn Machine is the result. It gained awareness. It looked at the Chain, at the Judgements, at its place in the world, and grew bitter and hateful.

It has enslaved most of the Navy. It seeks to grow in power, until it can shatter the Chain and implement the New Sequence, reordering reality with itself as the supreme being.

Take this with a massive grain of salt, because this is just what little I saw from certain storylines and I could be wrong. But I think the idea is that a former member of the University faculty had the theory that The Correspondence is actually the language that heavenly bodies use to talk to one another. He thought he could use The Correspondence to speak to the literal Sun, and ask it what the Neath is and why the Sun has forsaken it. And in the process he accidentally invited something else, an Imposter Sun, in.

>color out of space
>supposed to be some unexplainable indescribable new color humans can barely perceive
>I dunno, let's just make it white
This is why there are no Lovecraft games, by the way. This is why there's hardly any decent Lovecraft anything in visual media. Otherwise you end up with shit like Call of Cthulhu which turns into a by the numbers FPS a few hours in. Not that it was ever even close to adapting Call of Cthulhu in the first place, because 90% of that story is piecing journals together. A proper Lovecraft story should be focused on mystery and paranoia above all else, but you can hardly capture the other-worldliness of it all. Most don't even try because they probably don't even recognize Lovecraftian as anything more than tentacles and buff octopus men. Though Bloodborne comes the closest.

>trying to represent a brand new colour visually
Whatever they did would be shit

Oh, the Sun hasn't forsaken the Neath, it just can't see into it because of all the Irrigo radiation emanating from the Cave of the Nadir

Not that it would want to look down there because its Is Not bastard lovechild lives there and it would be punished if the other Judgements ever found out

>nobody has mentioned PSX Persona yet

Well given that the bazzar itself is actually in love with the natural sun and wants to use love stories so it can understand how to persue it romantically this is likely one of the more correct ones, but then everything in Fallen London can have alternate interporatations. Likie the Orphanage.

It's not really a game, but the forerunner halo books are some of the best cosmic horror i've read.

No one knows what the love stories are for but it's definitely not an attempt by the Bazaar to woo the Sun. The Bazaar is shirking its duty and hiding in the Neath. The Sun asked it to go ask another entity out. The entity said no. The Bazaar loves the Sun and believes the rejection would kill it. If the love stories are for anything, it's to find a way to break the news and prevent the Sun from maybe dying of sadness.

>Pcuck who never played BB doesn't know

kekekekek nice bait tho retard lmao kys whitey

That's nice of the Bazzar.

>no quake in entire thread

Come on, lads.

Scorn also loogs good.

outlast 2

The Bazaar is honestly a bit of a cunt

My fucking man. That Arcane Dimensions? I don't remember the Shub fight looking like that

How so?

It was more like "huh the stars look nice, I'll go take a look", not Cthulhu actually awakening.
When he got hit by the steamboat he thought "fuck wait those aren't my stars, I'll go back to sleep"

It's forsaking its duty as interstellar postman entirely out of selfishness

It had an illegal amalgam child with the Sun but never actually interacts with it because it only did it to make the Sun happy

It brought the Flukes to the Neath with the promise of a better life for them, then ditched them in a dank hole and ignored them

It hired the Masters to help it govern the human cities it takes, then gave one up for the slaughter when it was inconvenienced by the Second City. The resulting beating, drowning and eating of Mr Candles made his very existence Is Not

It doesn't care at all for the lives of the humans it's leeching love stories from. When it's time for the next City, it literally just drops it on the last one, killing everyone who hasn't wised up and fled

>inb4 lol don't know what the fuck you guys are talking about
So a closed market is trying to fuck a star?

Wow.
What an asshole.

That's cosmic horror for you I guess.

A giant space squid/crab that is also an interstellar postman that flies around with literal giant Stone Pigs as rockets is in love with The Sun, yes

Why it's called the Echo Bazaar is anyone's guess

It's kind of funny, in the case of Color Out of Space, even in my mind I barely ever actually characterized the color. It always sounded more like some kind of dimensional phase shift kind of deal - not a true color, since it could be perceived by humans, but more like a sentient presence that effected the world around it, but was not actually solid.

I'm pretty sure I saw a short or a comic or something where it was just represented by some glowing critter though, which seems to take away from the alien nature a bit much. That's the problem - when you can reduce it to "spooky octopus monster" it sucks a lot of the effect out of it.

So it absolutely works best in text, but you can manage it - the one level in Eternal Darkness that sticks out in my mind is the one with the bone-snatchers. They make it clear in that part that your character isn't fully in his right mind. Once that chapter's over, I still wasn't fully sure - even knowing those monsters and gods existed - whether his servants had been torn apart by monsters or if he'd gone mad and slaughtered them himself. It's the not knowing, the unknown that fills your imagination the most. And that's just hard to achieve in a visual medium without seeming like some kind of cop-out.

Though, in fairness, the color always seemed to fit the bill of a radioactive glow. Maybe it was always nothing more than some radioactive alien.

I'd like to think not though.

Dope. How do I into Sunless Sea?

>Blood
Fuck you Nigger, Bloodborne is ace Lovecraft shit.

... Unless of course you've played it like everyone and their mother and just find the recommendation unnecessary.

Otherwise, FUCK YOU AND DIE.

Either learn great patience to deal with how slow it starts out, savescum or download a mod that makes your starter ship fast enough to remove the tedium

waiting for the ps4 release in 6 days since my garbage laptop struggles to run it

abomination of my boyfriend

wait, never knew this, there are mods for sunless sea?

Are you a George Foreman or are you just homosex?

Yeah they added mod support a while ago but there aren't all that many from what I've seen. Haven't used any so I can't speak to their quality

Also: Zubmariner fucking WHEN

anyone else have faith?

>typing of instead of is

??? i'm retarded but sont hit on me silly boy heehee ;0

No.

>official
explain

>the official videogame
Is that like The Real Ghostbusters

Wow, it's a pretty great way to describe it.

I have more hopes for the sinking city. Although there's little to no info out of it

It the "official" game from the board game, I think, which is called Call of Cthulhu duh

I still need to finish Dark Corners of the Earth honestly.

But no, I don't have much faith these days. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not buying it until it's been out a while, so I can at least get a gauge on what it's like.

I...I think I have a boner.

Hi Kira.

apparently codename S.T.E.A.M goes in the lovecraft direction and has lovecraft characters

worth picking up?

This game has been coming out for fucking ever, that shit is vaporware

Anyone who says bloodborne isn't inspired by love craft is either baiting or an idiot. There are monsters that are almost ripped straight from some of his books, not to mention the references and smaller similarities that would take longer to explain. Put it to rest trolls.

user that's like saying something is inspired by the United States, not New England. The Cthulhu Mythos encompass love craft and a few others

>tfw just made it to the valley of the sun god
>now everything feels so bleak and alone
>too scared to keep going

what the fuck do I do.

>secret world
>scary

Has anyone said Bloodborne yet? Because Bloodborne is lovecraft in spades. You literally punch out Cthulu, multiple times even if you consider Chalice Dungeons canon.

is broccoli lovecraft

I want to play this shit.

Bloodborne always gets mentioned in these threads. And I've never minded that you can beat Old Ones since the Hunter is about as human as Wilbur Whateley or a Deep One hybrid, like anyone else who took Blood Ministration.

Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim.

Lovecraft was terrified of vegetables

Lovecraft was terrified of many things. It's fortunate for us he was born in an age before the internet or vidya, otherwise I fear he'd get nothing productive done.

they do have pretty good unique genecounts

too bad he never got into microbiology

>it's Cthulu
>but it lives in your bowels

It's a shame that Lovecraft died so young, I wonder how he would've reacted to the atom bomb and industrialized genocide.

The secret world is excellent. A shame that the game combat is bad, but it has some of the best quests in the video game world.

Runescape's Void/Sea Slug quests were pretty fun desu, they weren't entirely lovecraftian but they were based on it

> A shame that the game combat is bad
Almost all MMOs have combat that's bad if you compare them to non-MMO games, but Secret Worlds was something else man.

It's a damn shame too. I pretty much play it alone anyway, so it's pretty much a single player game as it is.

Of course I think I got to the point where that just wasn't really feasible anymore, or maybe I just couldn't hack it anymore. I didn't get very far into Romania and that bums me out - I was really hoping to make it to tokyo.

If it's called "horror" but it's boring, then you know it's "Lovecraftian".

The furthest I've gotten is the second Egypt zone.
Everytime I play I have to start over because I have no idea what I'm doing, and that doesn't help.
Probably restarted 4 times by now.

The starting area was legit the most interesting of them all so far, to be honest. Egypt felt like it really dragged on a lot to me. I just didn't really have all that much interest in that mythology, but probably more like I just wanted to get back to somewhere modern. Romania's close enough. But the first area has a lot of variety to its themes, and I really liked that. You've got zombies, shadow-over-innsmouth folks, native american moth monsters, the haunted theme park, there's just so many cool places to explore and spooky shit to get into.

The Room.

As a Lovecraft historian I can say without a doubt that bloodborne was clearly inspired by his works. Even the DLC is so close to "Shadow over Innsmouth" it hurts.

I loved how it used on an often neglected part of Lovecraft's works, the Dreamlands, and dreams in general.

Quest of Iranon, and Celephais are very good and touching short stories.

World of Warcraft is inspired a lot by old gods.

as a rule, you cannot have a lovecraftian MMO

>all of that
That is fucking sick. Sunless Sea has the best lore, and I know I've only seen half of it. Most of the southern edge places I haven't been to.

For people who've played SS, what do I do next? I've got about 10000 echos banked, a kitted out frigate, and I know how to pump the admiralty for fuel.

Are you low on sleep, user?

It a shame its so often forgotten because its great stuff.

false.

Lovecraftian is based on theme mostly. There is no rule where the theme need to be about being alone. Most stories of Lovecraft are about a party

Oh the first area is the best by far.
For the specific setting that it is it has a lot of variety, but again. Haven't gotten past Egypt and from what I've heard Transylvania is really good.

Great game. Frogwares has a new Cthulhu game incoming!

I might try it. Sound pretty good.

Elder Sign: Omens is a fun mobile game

MMOs naturally revolve around a metagame, which detracts from the feeling of madness and terror
that a lovecraftian game needs to entail to be good. The level of interaction between players
in an MMO will also diminish these necessary attributes that the game will need to stay true to
its source by giving the players a bigger sense of community and breaking the immersion of surviving
against hostile, unexplainable alien forces. And there's also the fact that developers are usually more
involved with its player base and the constant patch notes and newsletters will also will also play a part in breaking immersion

"eldritch" as a term is said by a couple of NPCs and used in item descriptions.

The entire backstory of the game is straight out of Lovecraft: a group of explorers stumble upon caves with relics of ancient civilisations that had contact with great old ones.

up your shitposting vtard

elaborate some more, and post another screenshot.

maher.filfre.net/King/

The King of Shreds and Patches. It's a well-known and well-received text adventure game based on a Call of Cthulhu module. It's got an interesting setting, as it's in Elizabethan London as opposed to turn-of-the-century New England, and its plot has to do with Hastur, who's a pretty cool dude in the mythos. I thought it was great though I remember there was a point where the game fucked up a bit and I had to reload.

I play lovecraftian themed board games all the time where they are all about cooperation between players.

It's a board game made into a mobile game. Think Yahtzee with objectives. You roll dices and try to make them be the same as what is needed on the sheet. If you cant, you take damage. You need X amount of Elder Sign tokens to seal away the god, and the god will awaken if it reach x amount of Doom tokens, and it create a "boss" situation where winning is almost impossible.

>Level of interaction between players
>In Secret World
I can spend a day in Secret World and not run into anyone else. Shit's huge.

And even if I see anyone else, we just pass each other. I've never met any particularly chatty types in the game. Even the major hubs are only sparsely filled, because no matter how many people there are, the world is fucking enormous.

It's a good feeling when you're getting your ass kicked by a boss and someone comes in to fight it with you though. Then we just share a glance, then go our separate ways.

I mean, you probably CAN play it cooperatively? But whatever. It's only that way if you go out of your way to make it like that.

Nice, I'll give this a shot, I was just playing The Mist text adventure game not long ago.

thanks

elder signs omens, noted

Is it Lovecraft inspired if you have tentacle monsters from the deeps?

CoD Zombies.
Mostly BO3 though

Mostly but not really.

Eldritch is pretty good for a roguelite survival game.

Pretty much any horror game and alot of non horror games with spooky elements.

Example: Kingdom Hearts

It pisses me off that we cannot join any of the monster factions

Lovecraft is pretty specific. It's "subtle". In plain sight but nobody can see it.

Five Night at Freddies is not Lovecraft. Neither is Resident Evil , That's Romero.

Alan Wake for example is pretty Lovecraftian in nature. The concept of insanity of the character is pretty important.

Deep Space is also Lovecraftian and is pretty much "Innsmouth in space"

FEAR is not Lovecraft, Dead Island is not. Ghosts are not really lovecraftian.

>Deep Space
You mean Dead Space.

Like it or hate it, Dead Space 3 is pretty much Mountains of Madness. And a fucking LIVING MOON? Come the fuck on and tell me that isn't a cosmic horror.

the only good part of dead space was the animated shorts on Gamefailers dot com
those fucking ruled

Incorrect
Dead Space 1 and 2 were fucking great
There were some good books too

Sunless Sea is so fucking unforgiving. I play it for hours, then die and give up on it for months, then get right back into it.

DS 1 and 2 were great, DS 3 has a lot of cool parts, but the execution drags too often. The attack on the moon, the ice planet - major The Thing vibes, the IDEA of the underground city, and that last fight, they were all pretty goddamn cool.

But a lot of parts dragged on or were kind of dumb. But not knowing whether Isaac was still being affected by the marker or just going nuts naturally was cool.

>Deep Space is also Lovecraftian
>Deep Space

what

dead space 1 played like a claustrophobic horror shooter
the sequels didnt
doesnt matter since the gamefailers story was better than the games

It's exactly Lovecraftian. A huge cult dedicated to a god of epic proportion does everything they can to convert and transform everybody into monsters. Just like innsmouth, except that instead of monsters making people into fish people, it's monsters making people into necromorphs.

How did you not get that from playing the game? They spend half the game talking about the new religion and how a stone is transforming people into monsters.

He meant Dead Space.

Dead Space is basically Lovecraftian fiction placed into a sci-fi environment

Really good games. I've yet to play the third, though. Is it REALLY shit? Or just not as good as the first two?

The gameplay is more generic 3rd person FPS, but it's still worth playing for the story. Buy it used if you can. because fuck EA.

Playable but a huge let down

Scavenger bot is kawaii as fuck

It's not horrible. It just become a full on action game where horror is a sidestory. If you can coop it though, it add an extra layer where your team mate can hallucinate without you knowing it and they can see Monsters where there is none and ect.

But it's okay. Just action and risk free pretty much. Half the game is against humans, but it explain a lot of stuff the series "needed" to finish the story.

This

*3rd person shooter

Whoops, my bad.

But yeah, like co-op it if you can. And think of it to the rest of franchise as what Aliens was to Alien. Still has tension, can still be considered "horror", but it has way more action. But the implications of the story and setting make it more closer to horror than what Aliens was.

Transylvania is good

but you gotta spend lots of money to progress past it, to get those Issues or whatever, costs too much

>Still 60 bucks to get the game and all the dlc which is apparently good
Every time it comes up it sounds really interesting, but nowhere near whatever the price is.

Different user here, I agree with your point but I think the fact that you spend the whole game turning countless monsters into giblets is pretty much the opposite of a Lovecraft tale.

So I would say it's a non-Lovecraftian game with a Lovecraftian backstory.

No fucking joke: there is a HP Lovecraft themed FPS that is exclusive to the Virtual Boy and only came out in Japan.

Yeah, I bet you weren't expecting that. The title is Insmouse No Yakata.

Unfortunately yeah. I think the first few places are free up to a point? So you can play through that and see if you like it, then pay for the rest. I'd REALLY recommend that if it's still an option because you want to make sure you'll even get that far first, because those other areas are huge.

Well not really. It's a Lovecraftian themed game. The theme does not really influence gameplay. You could have a Lovecraftian dating game if you wanted.

Even if most lovecraft stories are slow paced or in the form of collections of microstories, it does not stop the theme to be moved to an action heavy game.

Kinda like how Deadrising took Romero theme of Zombies and turned it into an arcady action game.

Japan devs love Lovecraft.

I've always defined as Lovecraftian as how a guy's normal reality "bubble" is pierced and interrupted by the presence of the true reality that existed outside his bubble, and how the presence of this drives him into insanity and ruin.

It's a Lovecraftian setting, and I don't think being able to fight against necromorphs takes away from that. "You can kill the prophet, but you can never kill the god" is a line from DS3 that encapsulates that so well. You can off the high priest of the Great Old Ones/Outer Gods, but the moment one of them actually notices you and your race, you're fucked.

> Lovecraftian dating game

One exists, arguably. Saya no Uta.

mah nigga

I wasn't talking so much about the 'level' of action but the 'nature' of that action. I simply don't agree that you can call a game where the protagonist turns thousands of monsters into meat juice, literally grinding them to pieces under his heels, 'Lovecraftian.'

I'll agree the 'setting' is Lovecraftian, I'll agree the idea that 'you can kill the prophet but you can never kill the god' fits cosmic horror well enough, but the simple fact is the DS games are about a walking tank. I don't think it's possible to get a sense of cosmic horror when you spend all your time slicing monsters into tiny pieces.

Yeah, the most major thing in Lovecraft is reality crashing on somebody. Tomb Raider and Uncharted and Indiana Jones are good example of that.

Reality mixed with surnatural. Except that here it's not a tree that make you into a super human, it's a tree that turn you into an abomination without a mouth.

Oh and there's Demonbane if you don't mind Pulp Lovecraft/Derleth with mechs.

>mecha cthulhu
where have you been all my life?

wat

I'm just gonna warn you it's real Lovecraftian stuff. It's Derlethian good vs evil pulp stuff.

CthulhuTech is a bit better if you want Cyberpunk Mecha Lovecraft, but that has some problems that turn me off.

But you slice monsters not to kill them, but to stop them from moving around. They are technically still alive even with both legs and arms cut off.

And they are the weakest of the weak. For example, in the pen of Paper Call of Cthulhu, zombies are still extremely dangerous foes that can kill any player easily. That's what the game is emulating.

I think it made the action mixed pretty well with the theme.

Sounds fair enough.

I bought Eldritch on a whim, but I hate the roguelike game design.

I never said you killed the monsters, but it's irrelevant to my point either way. You think that stomping around wrecking the shit out of undead abominations is Lovecraftian, I don't, clearly we'll have to agree to disagree, but don't try that 'technically they're still alive' shit on me. 'Technically' they're undead, which is not the same as alive, 'technically' I never said you killed the monsters, and 'technically' in videogame terms they are dead, or at the very least, once they are disabled, whether they are dead, alive, or undead is completely irrelevant.

I have no mouth and I must scream is pretty Lovecraftian theme wise. A giant god torture 5 humans trying to make them insane.

What would you do make the gameplay more Lovecraftian?

Fishing Hamlet is literally Innsmouth.

Kys.

You're talking out of your ass. There's nothing lovecraftian about it

I don't think it's too Lovecraftian in that AM has a vested interest in the five humans, and it has a very relatable emotion and motivation, just sheer hatred.

It's awful, it's horrific, but it's not Lovecraftian in my view.

he would probably be a nazi supporter, and his work ruined by the stain

A giant planet sized god torturing and making 5 humans live out dreams scenarios is pretty damn lovecraftian. It's more or less an end of the world scenario in Lovecraft. It's just like if Elder Things caught you and experiemented on you for "hate" sake.

Gods taking a personal interest in specific humans isn't Lovecraftian.

Haven't really thought about it, it's hard to change an action game like DS into a cosmic horror, but a good start would be to depower Isaac, reduce the monster count, delay the reveal of monstrosities/body horror to mid or late game.

It's really not tho doubt you've ever read shadow over

>Great Ones

It's old ones you fucking poser

Sure, but many old gods in Lovecraft are like that. They toy with humans. Just like Uitzilcapac would do. And when it's the last 5 play thing you could ever have, you would make sure it keep going over and over and over.

what a casual

Have you even read the short story?
>god
No. 3 computers designed for war
> 5 humans deliberately tortured
The spookies don't give a shit about humans. They are only a side-casualty from other meddlings

Lovecraft wasn't a fan of the Nazis. He didn't hate foreign cultures so much as he was feared they would outbreed and overtake Upper Class Anglo-Saxon Protestant culture. And he started to mellow out as he got a bit older.

It's Great Old Ones if you wanna be anal retentive about it.

It's Great Old Ones.

its great old ones you double poser fuck.

They are gods. They control every single facet of the planet, and cover the entirety of it. They are god like, yes.

And I'm talking about the game, not the book.

I CANT BEAT FATHER GASCAGIONE

FUCK THIS NIGGER FOR HAVING A SHOTGUN AND A HUNDRED FOOT LONG SHOVEL AX

FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME

>That Which Sleeps

The kickstarter page earlier this year was in a total tailspin with no progress made and the developers saying that the game had to be simplified significantly to make it to release.

I gave up on it then but I presume it's probably a classic kickstarter dumpster fire

Human extinction wasn't the primary feature of Lovecraft's work. It was about how humanity doesn't matter in the cosmos, or even on our own planet. We weren't the first race to be alive, and we won't be the last (that would be the sentient arachnids).

At best, the Earth's true masters awake and wipe out humanity, most likely as a side effect they don't even care to notice about. At best we can hope they wake up and go "why the fuck is there mold all over our kitchen" before metaphorically dumping us into the cosmic trashbin (assuming we don't kill ourselves off)

Just copped Eldrich. Game looks neat.

Nigga I have read almost all of Lovecraft's works. I have 4 collections of his stories that basically make up everything he wrote.

This
Also, lovecraftian horror is COSMIC. There's nothing cosmic or indescribable about AM

Something with a feel similar to H.P. Lovecraft's stories. Tales of dark, mysterious, incomprehensible monsters, and ancient alien gods.

He did buy into racial theory stuff, it wasn't exclusive to black people. Have families in the middle of New England degenerate from shitty breeding in his novels.

It gets pointed out a lot when talking about Lovecraft but I think its really taken out of context, especially considering the era he grew up in.

Favourite one?

Yeah, racial theory and eugenics was something that was discussed seriously back in Lovecraft's time. And a lot of that fell out of favor after World War II when people began to fear that what the Nazis did was the logical conclusion of that line of thinking.

I'm not saying he was going to become a civil rights activist, but he certainly wasn't Klan-levels of "burn the niggers, race war now" at his worst, or when he died.

Cosmic is the basis, but it's not everything. Elder Things are aliens that created the humans and a lot of abominations after losing the war against the GOO.

They are comparable to scientists turning madder and madder from isolation. It's comparable to a computer growing hate more and more and becoming the whole planet that he hate so much.

It's a coastal fishing town that makes contact with an sea-borne eldritch creature and their humanity is forever corrupted (or arguably uplifted in the case of BB) by their contact with the being.

>mfw can't argue with a duck

Ultimately the necromorphs are all just pieces of something bigger.

You're basically trimming the cosmic horror's toenails, no matter how gruesome it looks from our angle.

>trimming the cosmic horror's toenails
that's accurate

Imagine how many people are going to be ostracized as monsters for making gay jokes some day. Hell, we're already almost there.

how aboot u git gud, casul?

I actually really liked that one Skyrim DLC. That shit was crazy. I can't remember the damn thing's name but that eyeball bastard, man.

The Daedra in general, in a vague sense.

You must be me.

His book was pretty metal and ebin, desu

>enought

>he hasn't read anything other than Call of Cthulhu, the one story Lovecraft wrote about several times in his letters that he absolutely hated

I love when little hipster shits like you come in and prove just how fucking ignorant you are with a smug ass post like the one you just posted.

>falling for the bait
quit falling for the bait

How's the Last Door? I've heard great things about it, but find the graphics really fucking off-putting.

>dagon
>not absolute lowest level in the Lovecraft hierarchy

Dagon would be like the equivalent of a lower rank bandit boss in a JRPG.

Eh, midboss at worst.

Isn't Azathoth actually known as the idiot god that no one fucks around with cause if he wakes up everything is fucked?

The mad god who slumbers and dreams the world

Yup. He just stays in the farthest darkest corner of the universe, mindlessly playing his ethereal flue that alters fate and shit.

For some weird reason I kind of want some kind of gundam-like game where you're fighting cosmic horror armies in space in a giant robot.

>farthest darkest corner of the universe

Nigga, he sits at the center of all reality. And he doesn't play shit. He just flails and writhes mindlessly like Chris-chan at a rave as his courtiers revolve around him and play music.

has anyone here actually read lovecraft? has anyone even read any analysis ON lovecraft?

I've most of the cosmic and Dreamlands stuff, not much of his gothic stuff.

As for analysis, I haven't. I do have a copy that comes with pretty neat annotations.

>a glimpse into the mind of a shitposter
kek

That looks like the guy spent a long time making a good looking scene, but then decided to shrink it and blow it up again.

Bloodborne is Lovecraftian but it's shit in that regard. The main theme of Lovecraft is that the alien, ancient, and unknown are too powerful for mankind to event comprehend, let alone fight. In Bloodborne not only can you fight these ancient gods on even footing without going insane just by looking at them, but you can actually fucking kill them. Fuck that shit, it's a disgrace to source Lovecraftian style. It's the "punching out Cthulhu" trope in literal game form.

Exactly. Who the fuck thought that would be cool? Fucking hipster indie shits

There are Great Old Ones, Outer Gods, Elder Gods, and Great Ones.

way to ruin the shitposts....

>Being a lore-sperg isn't peak shitposting

Iv'e got a book with a collection of his stuff, haven't read it all though.

Haven't read an analysis on him but i think there is one at the back of the book. Got any links for a decent analysis?

Pic related is the book i have.

Not in english. Your best bet is tv tropes desu

> tv tropes

wat

Look up S.T. Joshi if you want good analyses of Lovecraft's work. And try and find the New Annotated Lovecraft.

wat wat? they have some pretty good breakdowns over there

I once did a paper on Lovecraft in college. It was mainly about his themes of isolation in his work being pretty reflective of his life if I remember right. It's been a few years.

Sounds pretty neat, could I read it?

count two

whats this image from

I've soloed the whole game up to tokyo where I couldn't continue since I didn't have the tokyo issues. It just requires setting up a decent build. When you first start and up to about egypt you can get away with a not so good build but once you get to Romania you really need a good solo build to handle stuff there. It makes a world of difference.

Mock-up of a Lovecraft mod concept for Darkest Dungeon.

You can occasionally get the complete package that contains everything from the game discounted to half off, $30 is a great price for it. It was last on sale like that a few months back. Contained base game + all 15 issues.

Truthfully, I'm not even sure where it is right now. I've got the file somewhere but it's probably buried in one of my old laptops. It wasn't anything all that impressive but when you read about his life you can tell how alone and isolated he was from most people. You can also see a lot of the themes of familial guilt/decay/degeneracy in a lot of his work. His family also had a lot of weird mental issues and financial problems. Racism and fear of strangeness was also a big thing too obviously.

Did anything ever actually come of it? I thought it was just a fan art thing.

Nah no-one ever tried to make the mod as far as I'm aware.

Damn, that's pretty disappointing. I'd play the hell out of it.

You think Robert E. Howard's suicide affected Lovecraft?

Well, you never know, someone might give it a go in the future. It's definitely an appealing idea.

terraria

I'm no expert, but I'd say so. Lovecraft certain wasn't a fan of people but he was definitely one of the few Lovecraft made an exception for.

I sure hope so.

I call dibs on Harvey Walters.

Dexter Drake a best.

play it. you will love it
I just finished both seasons

Cthulhutech

>eldritch makes it lovecraft
>lost civilizations makes it lovecraft

just stop. Bloodborne is not lovecraft. It's reskinned dark souls.

CoC: DCotE was great.

I played it back when it came out and even with the countless bugs, it was still great.

That was many moons ago; now with the patch, you can actually beat it.

Poor little grill.

Also, the cutter level with the sailors fighting off the lesser ones was cash as fuck.