Hail, traveler

Hail, traveler.

I've never been able to get into a cRPG. Having played Baldur's Gate II, Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Wasteland 2 over the years and not liked any of them, I thought I just hated the genre for being generally slow, unintuitive and monotonously wordy. That is until I finally got around to playing Pillars of Eternity, which I am now tentatively enjoying despite it being generally slow, unintuitive, and monotonously wordy. I guess I also liked the first Dragon Age, but that doesn't count.

So, traveler, so I ask you this — what's a game that has allowed you to finally get into a genre?

I don't know. I still have yet to get into the RTS genre, so maybe some day. There's also the MMO and turn-based JRPG genres I both dislike, but their gameplay really really doesn't appeal to me so I doubt I'll have any sort of rebirth where I find their meaning. I suppose an example was a while ago when I played Skate 2. I always though realistic games and sports games were lame but that game's weight and feel is really something. "Sports" is a bullshit non-genre so that doesn't really count.

Resident Evil 1-3 made me appreciate horror games. I realized that I didn't dislike dread or horror, it was just that the games I was playing had bad gameplay. RE had good gameplay and good atmosphere which I really liked. Haven't played any other horror game since though.

>liking Pillars more then Baldurs Gate, Fallout and Planescape
shit taste

that being said Ultima 4 weirdly enough got me into rougelikes despite not being a rougelike. I guess it was the first game I played that had graphics that old that I enjoyed

Baldur's Gate 2 got me into the genre back in 2002ish.

Hello, traveler

Baldur's Gate II I played when I was a youngling. As for Fallout and Planescape, they both having glaring flaws. Fallout has obnoxiously shit combat and Planescape has obnoxiously long, though admittedly well written, conversations (as well as obnoxiously shit combat).

>unintuitive
wat?

I can agree with slow and wordy, but it's definitely one of the most intuitive crpgs I played.

That is, almost everything else is worse, except maybe DivOS

>I've never been able to get into a cRPG. Having played Baldur's Gate II, Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment and Wasteland 2 over the years and not liked any of them

well, uh

>i keep trying to enjoy size six shoes, but my feet are size 11

This OP better be baiting.

kill jester

Go to bed, Limmy.

I played a few hours of pillars and found it mad boring...

Do I try original sin?

>try to get into BG some years ago
>hate it for being a slow, uninteresting, dull piece of shit
>try PoE
>same thing as BG, only a bit more modern
>try Fallout
>instantly hooked
I blame RtwP meme for this.

Saying Pillars of Eternity is the most intuitive cRPG you've ever played is like saying the shit you ate yesterday tasted better than all the other shit you eat.

>Do I try original sin?

Combat is more fun, but the story and pacing is kinda shit.

I played the whole of the Baldur's gate series just last year.

It took 3 attempts but once i got rolling i was hooked.

>Fallout has obnoxiously shit combat

TBT combat is patrician if you don't have ADHD.

TBT combat is patrician when you control multiple characters and have more options in combat than move, shoot, and shoot at limbs. If the underlying system isn't hideously broken, it's a nice touch as well.

Basically, play something like Silent Storm or hell, even old XCOM and look at what those games do that Fallout doesn't - interrupts, sound detection, prone/crouch positions, more granular AP systems...

Ol' Xcom games made me love turn-based shit in general.

Aswell as how fun it can be to have something stupidly overpowered.

Fallout 2 was my first. I loved Arcanum and Baldur's Gate. It is my dream that Obsidian will let Tim Cain make a game that feels like ToEE with the pathfinder rule set.

It will not happen though.

listen to me, i want only your strongest potions

Original Sin actually got me into the genre. It's a very good starting point for cRPGs if you can get past the badly paced beginning. Basically there's a long stretch of no combat after you finish the tutorial stuff. The beginning is kinda badly paced, but once you get past that and have some leveled up characters the game is fantastic.

Holy shit redundant as fuck. I need sleep.

So you like shit cRPGs? Okay.
For me it's Endless Legend and 4x games, I suppose. I never really played RTSs, 4x's cousins and didn't get more than a few hours out of any 4x I tried. Then I played Endless Legend, got Endless Space and Civ V with the Brave New World expansion.

>fallout has bad combat
>Planescape has too many words

Well Fallout's combat is slow, tedious and boring.

So yes, it has bad combat.

>what's a game that has allowed you to finally get into a genre?

Corruption of Champions.

>what's a game that has allowed you to finally get into a genre?

This is going to sound bad, but Skyrim. It's just that I was mostly into platformers, stealth games and strategy, and never really payed any attention to cRPGs whatsoever, aside from playing maybe a handful of JRPGs.

So as a complete newcomer to character building even Skyrim felt somewhat intimidating with so many skill trees and factions, since in the JRPGs I played you never had much control over character progression. Well, it was a good babby's first and the only reason I got into the genre.

You don't like systems.

>Implying complex combat that allows you to strategically disarm and remove the enemy's ability to walk around the map in a turned based combat setting is bad.

>>Implying complex combat that allows you to strategically disarm and remove the enemy's ability to walk around the map in a turned based combat setting is bad.
...what if user just doesn't like turn-based combat, senpai?

RTwP is the worst combat style you can have. It combines all of the flaws of Real Time and Turn Based but none of the strengths.

I like turn-based combat sometimes. I didn't like how it took a million years for everyone to take their turns in Fallout. When I got into my first big combat encounter I stopped playing, because the fastest combat speed setting was way too slow.

Caves of Qud really sold me on roguelikes years back.

>mfw pillars of eternity still full price

fug.gif

See: It was on sale several times now. It's still being supported, though the next patch will probably be the last.

For a long time I would buy these highly regarded games, and movies as well, because I would always hear what classics they were.
It was Thief that made me realize what a mistake it was to get games just because they're classics, because I already knew I didn't like stealth games.
Same with the Thing, when I remembered "oh yeah, I don't enjoy scary movies or body horror."

I mean, good on you for giving something new a shot, that's why these games exist and they're well known classics. But by the third one, you just have to admit that maybe the genre isn't for you and play something else?

Still slow and tedious.

I've played all the other games. I'm filling up a dry spell.

>ctrl + f icewind dale
>0 results

fuck y'all, it's good

Taste needs to develop.
Maybe he will revisit them and like them more, You can only say for certain that he did not have the taste back then.

It is, but not really a cornerstone that everybody needs to know.

Wow, that looks like dogshit.

Playing the great "classics" isn't necesserily about enjoying them, it's about seeing what made them classic in the first place.

>Skyrim
That is not the genre this thread is about though.
The only way this answer would be valid if skyrim drove you towards crpgs.

>So, traveler, so I ask you this — what's a game that has allowed you to finally get into a genre?

I think you should read OPs post again, user.

That was kind of what I was trying to say. Skyrim prepared the way for my interest in cRPGs. Since TES was my first RPG series and the first system I was familiar with, after Skyrim I decided to stick with it and moved on to Daggerfall, then later Arena and Morrowind. After that I finally had enough experience to move on to the fun stuff, Might and Magic, Ultima, IE games, Divinity series, Gothic, Geneforge, and so on.

>combat based D&D game

no, its shit

>he doesn't enjoy wombo-comboing entire groups of enemies with strong spell combos then whiff on boss mobs who are immune to spells

ishygddt

D&D is a terrible system for crpg's
its way to simplistic and constraining

Are druid still good or were they nerfed by the lead autist?

As good as ever, or even better depending on when you dropped out.

10th grade but i don't see how that's relevant

Metal Gear Rising got me into action genre. I usually only play turn based rpgs and RTS but this is the first time an action game has got me hooked.

Cheeky cunt.

You sound like you have good taste; but if you only play turn based RPGs do you not like aRPGs or RTwP ones?

want to say Earthbound got me into turm based JRPGs, but it's actually just the only one I've ever enjoyed.

Dragon Age 1 does count.
But not liking Planescape: Torment means that your taste is shit.