"Imagine a world where sequels are banned. Would this not be a beautiful place? Sure...

>"Imagine a world where sequels are banned. Would this not be a beautiful place? Sure, we'd miss out on genuinely good sequels like Thief II or Half-Life 2, but I think that's a small price to pay. Every story would have to be fresh, so writers would have to work extra hard to make the characters relatable. With no sequels, there are no franchises, so there'd be less fandom... And best of all, endings would have to have some fucking closure!"

Was he right Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg
youtube.com/watch?v=rciyCHa6J4o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ye

Regulation is always a bad thing.

Hypotheticals are boring and stupid.

>no time splitters 2

nah, the rule should be like "only 1 sequel for series"

>Half-Life 2
>Good

Its easy to say there should be no sequels when you are a """critic""" and you have to speed through games so you cant really enjoy them, there are shitty sequels but there are even more shitty new IPs

They'd just make reboots instead. Or the same story over and over again with slightly different characters.
Checkmate atheists!

In theory I see where he's coming from, but developers would just find other ways to make lazy and shitty games
But knowing yahtzee it was probably tongue in cheek anyway and there's no point in really talking about this

Fucking retarded honestly.

>No Zeldas beyond the first one
>No Marios beyond FUCKING MARIO BROS
>No Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and beyond
>No Metal Gear Solid
>No Grand Theft Auto III
>No Contra IV: The Alien Wars

Do I need to go on, if Yahtzee really wrote this he's a fucking loon.

>Every story would have to be fresh, so writers would have to work extra hard to make the characters relatable.

I think he should fucking kill himself.

Why would stories have to have closure? There's plenty of one-offs with cliffhanger or open endings that are fantastic.

The sequels are not the problem, and generally they do work like a patch to the actual problems of the industry.
So banning sequels will only make shit even worse.

what is The Last Of Us?

open endings are fine if deliberately so, but usually it's good DESPITE the cliffhanger rather than because.

Are you trying to argue against him?

>world with no sequels

>invisible war doesn't exist
>unlike the Jensen games, which are prequels

Good reality

Every game would be EA FUSE.

>Yahtzees autistic dislike of Nintendo's long-running series

No.
Sequels are quite often incredibly good games.

Innovation just for its own sake is fucking retarded.

absolutely not, some of the best games ever made were sequels
hell, all of my favorite games are sequels to something else
like for example imagine if mega man or final fantasy stopped after the first game
in the realm of video juegos sequels mean a lot more than in movies or something

>no devil may cry 2 and DmC
>but no devil may cry 3 and 4

sequels only affect narrative which isn't important

that retard is thinking of movies

Writers would just change the names and every game would be a "spiritual successor" or a plain fucking rip-off
Also good job fucking over story arcs that take more than one game

Games with sequels in mind are okay. Like darkness 2, thief 2 or age of empires 2 are fine with having a sequel. Even though games like crysis 2 shat the bed.
Games with no sequel in mind but only use the name to give a general idea of the game like DQ and FF are okay.
Games that have no sequel planned out but years later get rebooted into by a team that has no feeling for the game are terrible. Only a few actually arent shit. Like metroid prime. But even with that one you can advocate it mostly using the name.

>Half-Life 2
>Good

Most overrated game of all fucking time. Glorified tech demo.

Actually you would get DMC3 (prequel) and DmC (reboot), but no DMC2 and 4 (sequels)

No. Only idiots devoid of imagination need characters to be relatable. A good story can stand on its own without some moron being pulled into the story because "that guy over there is just like me!" And without characters being made to appeal to such an audience.

But you could have those good games in a fresh package instead of same thing over and over again

Funny thing
He hates most of those series, especially nintendo.

Sequels shouldn't be banned, but there's an obsession with them in video games that I think is generally deleterious. As soon as one game is out people are immediately looking to the next one. I think the industry has grown far too dependent on them, and various fanbases don't help any either. Consider all the bitching over Castlevania's "death" despite having had quite a few Castlevania games already. It's okay for shit to end.

imagine a world without niggers, jews and muslims

Prequels are sequels. They just take place before a preceding work in terms of narrative. That's where the word "prequel" comes from.

It's bad when games are made with the specific purpose of making sequels and turning the IP into a franchise.

If Nintendo couldn't make a sequel to Mario Bros they would just make Super Blario Bros instead.
Not having direct sequels doesn't mean that we'd never get anything LIKE the sequels that currently exist, it doesn't mean people wouldn't make games that expand on the gameplay of earlier games.

Which really makes you wonder what the actual point of not allowing sequels would be if people would just make GAEM and then TOTALLY NOT A SEQUEL TO GAEM rather than GAEM and GAEM 2.

>Publishers are retarded and want to play it safe with established franchises
>That means sequels should be banned

My brother keeps clamouring for a bloodborne sequel and I have no fucking idea why. You'd think he'd have learned his lesson from dark souls.

>prequels are sequels
Except they're by definition the exact opposite

>2016
>having brothers

>You'd think he'd have learned his lesson from dark souls.
yeah, dark souls was a shitty sequel to demon's souls

good meme image, op. i love no stopy while talky man

for art maybe

>Every story would have to be fresh, so writers would have to work extra hard to make the characters relatable.
This is one of the most delusional statements I've ever heard. Think about it like this, while Call of Duty games are technically sequels, most seem to have their own continuity with new characters and plotlines and settings. I'm sure Yahtzee would agree the stories in them are also almost universally terrible. New absolutely does not mean good. And with that comes abandoning every interesting game mechanic pioneered in the first game. Some of my favorite games are sequels because they managed to refine a rough concept in the original. I have a hard time believing anyone who seriously claims something like that actually understands how games come about.

Its not that sequels are bad. The problem is with publishers are afraid not to play it safe and most of use now have a "seen it, done that" mentality. Those two combined drags down a games novelty to very low levels.

To be fair, I want a Bloodborne sequel too.
Don't let this gameplay die, it's just so much better than souls'.
Don't let this setting die, we don't have anything similar that's able to do better.

Die in a fire

>Game is fun as fuck and glues you to the screen for hours and hours
>You don't get to play the same game with better graphics, animations, gameplay and pacing
Sounds like an awful scenario to me

>Sure, we'd miss out on genuinely good sequels like Thief II or Half-Life 2,
>genuinely good sequels
>like Half-Life 2

thought provoking stuff

Yahtzee should just stop playing the video game equivalent of the annual super hero blockbuster movie.

It's not so fucking hard. Stop consuming shit, and you'll find that the amount of shit you're digesting is significantly lower than previously.

Nah, quantity's not the real issue; it's a symptom of it. The true problem is the deflated time gap between sequels.

Then the whitey wouldnt have someone to do the hard/dirty work for them which means you wouldnt have time for vidya or shitposting.

>drawings/paintings are art
>music is art
>sculpture is art
>recitation is art
>writing can be arguably considered art

>videogames feature all of that
>but they just CAN'T be art no matter what
I always loved this meme.

One day you'll play it too

Fuck this shit. This retarded don't realize how much an idea can be improved on a sequel if done properly. Bayonetta. MGS. Viewtiful Joe. Street Fighter. Mega Man. Mario. Sonic. Streets of Rage. Donkey Kong Country. Metroid.

You can't blame shitty sequels for the videogame industry bad business practices.

Games should be protected from censorship like art but on a per game basis I don't care. The classification is only important to prevent shit like Germany and Australia banning games.

>Every story would have to be fresh, so writers would have to work extra hard to make the characters relatable

If this is your top priority for what you want in video games then you are in the wrong fucking medium.

Crosshaw - for the last time stop trying to promote your fucking boring series on Cred Forums. It's over. You haven't been funny since 2007 and even then it was only a once-in-a-while kind of thing.

Also - your own games sucked shit. I coded better than that in high school. I don't know why you think of yourself as an authority on vidya,

Maybe, but it wouldn't solve the problem because people can still get creative with it.

>make a game
>every other game in the series is either a spin-off or has nothing to do with the story of the first game

>make a game that takes place in the end of the timeline
>all future games in the series take place in reverse chronologic order

>mfw sometimes i just want more of the same

salty cuck

A sequel is a chance to improve upon the base of the first game while also maintaining brand recognition and not needing to go "it's like other game!" every time you mention it. It sucks that publishers lean on franchises but without sequels you get rehashes in different skins and that comes off even more tiring and samey. "Oh look at this new game I bet it's going to play and act just like their other completely unrelated game. Fucking hacks." instead of "it's another game in a series I'm invested in"
On the flipside, innovation for innovation's sake leads to removing headphone jacks and hiring the fucking idea guys instead of genuine talent that wants to improve on an established formula instead of scrapping it for the next thing. "Oh I wonder what kind of shit they're going to pull this time" (case in point Sonic, an actual established sequel franchise that can't seem to stick to tried-and-true)

In short: fuck Yahtzee.

The mental acrobatics you people will do to not agree with Yahtzee (or anyone you don't like) is amusing to me.

It's basically just like naming each final fantasy a different IP

I don't think it would work to be honest
DaS3 worked but it would be hard to pull off the same feeling and atmosphere Bloodborne had

really makes u think

>Contra IV: The Alien Wars

You dun fucked.

>hurr sequels are bad because my favorite e-celeb said so
you are fucking retarded

Sequel means "another game in a series"

Fun fact: If a sequel to a good game is bad, the first game is still good. It hasn't devalued just because the follow up was disappointing.
If a game is bad, then don't play it.

I didn't say I liked Yahtzee you mong. I don't even agree with the statement.

Those comments are ridiculous though, just people either refusing to consider the hypothetical outright or taking it too far just so they don't have to actually consider his opinion.

>critic who claims to be a cynic is this hopeful for the industry
There would only be the same game made slightly differently

wrong

i can't play dao anymore because it depresses me too much to know that the story and interesting lore won't go anywhere and da2 is one of the worst games of all time

I think it was stated directly in the post. Fresh stories with endings. Not that I agree with Yahtzee, but he fucking answers you question.

>A world with only Mega Man 1 and no MM2 and 3
No thanks.

I think that's just him ranting about games with shit endings. Think Halo 2.

That's because DA:O is objectively bad. The super dull story and lore goes nowhere within that game either. Sounds like you were just relying on the sequel to polish the huge chunks of shit from the tiny diamonds of the first game.

This is the guy who thinks spec ops is the pinnacle of human art and story telling. Why is anyone reading his opinions.

They aren't. A prequel is a sequel. Again, that's where the word comes from. "Pre-" (as in before) and "sequel." It's a sequel that takes place before the previous installment instead of after.
>writing can be arguably considered art
>arguably
It's not really that arguable.

Kill yourself Yahtzee. You haven't made a good video in four years. Your act is as stale as your cum rag.

Typical liberal wanting regulations to solve what the free market already has

No.
Things that don´t exist because they would ruin the world.
>Unregulated markets
>unregulated industries
>unregulated TV

Regulation is when you think something and don´t actually say it because it would make you look like a retarded twat.
Think on that.
>unregulated elections
>unregulated religions
>unregulated shitposting

We'd just get spin-offs like MG Survive instead.

I can't play the first two Fallout games without getting angry knowing what Bethesda has done.

My bad, keep enjoying your ancient evil has awoken Tolkien masterpiece.

welcome to the internet in 2016 my friend, a haven for children with retarded opinions who will stick their fingers in their ears and shout "LA LA LA" the moment someone they dont like says something (or someone says something they dont like)

>no dmc3
I already hate this world, why would I think about an world where things are worse

>Mass Effect 2
>KotOR 2
>Fallout 2

Sequels have as much potential for improvement as they do failure. No sense in stifling good games for the sake of avoiding bad ones.

>listening to the guy that called Bayonetta a God of War ripoff

LMAO

Why do you think all of GoTY awards go to 2deep4you deconstruction games?

Imagine a world where Yahtzee actually has to put effort into his slidesh... I mean animation.

Because it's 100% personal opinion and stupid. Also, "everything would be original content" is false because other games would use elements or just redo another game's stuff, if you really want all games to be 100% original then we'd have maybe 50 games in existence and be unable to make any more.

>no Portal 2

Hes gone off the deep end. He doesn't even remember the games that he likes. And fighting games would be a dead genre were it not for Street Fighter 2.

>The story and the plot are all that matters.
>Fuck passionate people who like things I don't like. Everyone should be as disinterested as I am.
>Refinements to gameplay? What the fuck is gameplay?

I see Cred Forums hate sequels all the time, but you're hypocrites. What about in ps1 games? Take the spyro trilogy, do you seriously mean to say you wouldn't want to have played the sequels?

>Regulation is always a bad thing.

What?

>The story and the plot are all that matters.
>spends most of a video complaining about a game having a story and plot

Now this shit really makes you think.

Fuck that retarded nonsense.

The industry would be over saturated with retarded games that have no purpose existing. There are already games like this that exist like Rage, Enslaved: Odyssey and Hunted: Demon's Forge. Retarded retarded games that come into the market and just disappear because of how insignificant they are. Imagine this on a industrial level where the industry just keeps pumping this tripe?

Also, this incentivizes laziness. Just look at cape-trash and how lazy the movie industry is already. Everyone would be copying each other and rehashing content (ASS CREED), storydom becomes the main focus of the industry since they have to worry about creating content after every other title, the industry appeals to storyfags to keep pumping out fresh story content for new games, writers make up the majority of the workbase, and there will be no push to expand. Sequels put companies on the treadmill since they need to keep up with the demands of the fanbase of the series and expand from what they already have in previous games.

Cred Forums are hypocrites.

Sequels are shit. They are what killed creativity in Hollywood after the New Age.

Except since games were born ssentially in the Blockbuster Age, everything had to be a fucking sequel from Breakout to Mario.

It's retarded.Sequels are shit. Make something creative or fuck off.

This.
I can't believe how it isn't obvious to these people.

You're inept.

Pretty sure this guy literally made video game sequels

>>"Imagine a world where sequels are banned. Would this not be a beautiful place? Sure, we'd miss out on genuinely good sequels like
>Half-Life 2
No.

Half Life 1's better than 2, underage

>mega man 1 only
>If battle network is considered a spinoff stops at 1 before the developers really came into their own with 2 and 3
Yeah nah fuck off

Why is this board so illiterate today?

Mega Man 1 is the best, you shit-eating pleb.

>implies HL 2 isn't good
>shitposting image

We're on a new layer of wew here lad

A world where we are stuck with

>Street Fighter 1
>Grand Theft Auto 1
>Dragon Quest 1
>Final Fantasy 1
>King of Fighters 94
>Castlevania 1
>Resident Evil

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt. Some of the games I listed are good, but the sequels are better.

For a failed game developer Yahtzee really over estimates the ability of actual professionals to create entirely new properties are successful financially and by considered good by the end user.

Especially since in reality publishers routinely get punished for doing just that.

How about we just kill reboots instead? The only reason they get made is to broaden the audience and make money. No company gives a shit about the fans when they reboot.

Final fantasy is shit.

SaGa is better

>6 Robot Masters
>No fun weapons

Imagine if a movie went up 15 fucking sequels with twice as many spinoffs, would anyone be even excited for the new one?

It just means the story will be different, not the entire game. Some of the sequals of the games you listed were shitty copies, some actual good different stories.

No sequels = different stories, not different gameplay

>people not realizing he is a comedian first and video game critic second
>people watching his videos for anything other than enjoyable rants
Plebs, all of you.

Ask Disney.

>fun

meaningless buzzword

>only 6 robot masters
>implying adding more bloatware would improve shit

I read this niggas book, he shouldn't be criticizing anybody about story.

>Kill reboots

Fucking this.

God, please kill this trend. Fans would rather see their favorite series die and buried to never be seen again than to have it's corpse mantled up and paraded.

Yeah, and that means no saga 2, 3 nor romancing saga and saga frontier.

F

This. It is a character. In his lets drown out series he addresses that he is usually rash and ranting in his ZP videos.

All of those are shit though

>every franchise I liked got a reboot
>they always took a piss on the corpse instead of rebooting it

>-Signed, a fifteen year-old using Cred Forums

He's not funny, though.

do Metroid Zero Mission and Pokémon FRLG count as reboots? or just remakes?

They're games displayed by video, they're a product of art not art itself. Listen to music while you play checkers, that doesn't make it art.

Also, literature as more than "arguably" art. It just plain is.

>Complains about regurgitation
>While he regurgitates the same video every week
If he values originality and creativity so much, why is he still using the same yellow background and character models from five years ago? Why doesn't he make a new video format every every week then throw it the trash like he expects game devs too?

It doesn't seem like Yahtzee is working extra hard to bring something fresh to the table.

>A hack writer said that
o am i laffin.

They count as shit. Dragon Quest and Montezuma's Revenge superior to both

Awww did he offend you?

Depends on the type of game. Not every game is MUH CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE. Sequels are perfectly fine for games that are continued improvements on the series.

Also without sequels you just get GAME and GAME THAT IS BASICALLY GAME WITH A DIFFERENT SKIN

>no red dead redemption
OP is a faggot

>They count as shit.
how so?

> Dragon Quest and Montezuma's Revenge superior to both
are you trying to claim that those games I mentioned are shit because they're not as good as DQ and MR? or that DQ and MR are not shit?

>Liking 1 the best
This is probably bait but ISHYGDDT

>>"Imagine a world where sequels are banned..."

Muuhh freedom of creating whatever I want whenever I want it. A rule to forbid that is stupid and should be international. I don't there's a single rule that applies everywhere in the world and that is made by the same group of people. Making everybody agree that is ridiculous.

Also, he forgets that sometimes devs make sequels because people want them, demand them AND are willing to pay for it

>Was he right Cred Forums?

Are you serious nigger?

They are remakes. Reboots usually (but not always) involve changes in continuity, but a change in tone, theme, or audience appeal is really what signifies a reboot.

epic, simply epic

Don't even bother replying seriously to this retard

>was he right
Yes, duh, why is this even a question?

I'm not too comfortable with the idea of telling a creator (or creators) what they can and cannot make, and if they want to do sequels, they should. That said, you can't deny that it would be good to have some break from a lot of franchises, and that many have served their purpose.

That user uses a stupid argument, but there is no argument you can make for movies/music/literature being art that you cannot make for video games.

As for games displayed by video, unless you have a very strange definition of video then that's pretty wrong.

Did I touch a nerve, Yahtzee? Don't you have a check to collect from that fandom that watches your videos every week?

To each his own. I enjoy his content. If you don't that is fine, but why ate you here talking about it then?

Sequels exist because there's a market for them. If there's a fanbase for a series, the fans usually want to see what other adventures their favorite characters get into. It works better if said games had definitive ends and then went on to other stories like Yakuza and games like that do. It's also the reason why games like Senran Kagura and Neptunia get so many sequels, they're games made specifically for fans of titty ninjas and lewd console-tans. Being mad at Hyper dimensional Neptunia 42: Underage panty quest when you didn't even play Neptunia 1 is retarded because you weren't going to play it anyway, but someone was going to.

It honestly goes the same with books and movies, the reason why there were so many Conan or Perry Rhodan stories is because they had a fanbase and people wanted to see their adventures.

Yahtzee is also a whiny shit stain that praises any game that strokes his sensitive ego. You think if that nigger went back and played Thief 2 he'd be good at it? Un-fucking-likely. This is also the same guy who gets grumpy dumpys whenever a game has multiplayer because he refuses to learn mechanics and adapt. But sure, it's totally because of all those screaming kiddies who say things that hurt his sensitive ears like "Nigger" and "Faggot". even though every game since the dawn of time has had a mute option.

No
Sequels are an opportunity to fix an flaws with the original game

I love this meme where everyone that defends thing is things maker!

They're stories displayed by text on a page, they're a product of art not art itself. Listen to a story while you read an instruction manual, that doesn't make it art.

Also, storytelling is more than "arguably" art. It just plain is.

What's wrong?

Are you mad that you're not relevant? Are you mad that you don't have any influence on others' opinions? You're mad that you're a lowly peasant billowing in mediocrity eating the same slop every day?

t. Grew up with lead poisoning

>Sequels are an opportunity to make more money
There's never another reason for a sequel.

Sequels in games aren't even bad. He's always been a fucking retard.

So instead of sequels we get shitty rip-offs? Can't wait to play as Dink and rescue princess Belda!

Also isn't Yahtzee the one that makes it a point to be as contrarian as possible to the point that he waits a few days to get what the general reaction is and then deliberately makes a video contrary to that opinion for clickbait? Or is that Zero Punctuation?

This.

>IMAGINE IF THERE WERE NO BAD GAMES

New IPs are overrated. For every earth-shaking one you'd have a few average games that would never hit their stride and ten tons of trash. The market would be even more cluttered than it already is and there would be no sense of quality.

Games would be even safer and more derivative than they already are. I know, it's cool to hate sequels, but they're the lynchpin of the entertainment industry as a whole.

Sequels are the prime reason why games cannot be art and never will be.

Ever since games have been created, they've been commercial entertainment foremost.

It would be as if films skipped Golden Age of Hollywood and started with Blockbuster Age in the 80's. Because that's essentially what video games did. They've been aping off of superior mediums since the start.

>No Far Cry 2
>No Far Cry 3

>they've been commercial entertainment foremost.

So, like every artform ever? user, you should really learn some history before posting.

>I know, it's cool to hate sequels, but they're the lynchpin of the entertainment industry as a whole.
They weren't always back in the 40's and 50's.

They aren't in the music industry.

Video games try so hard to be movies that they ended up absorbing only the worst qualities. Name a game Cred Forums bothers to anticipate. Odds are it's a sequel. You're no better looking down upon those buying a new Call of Duty when you buy a new Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

There are plenty of games that never got sequels and were never intended to.

I don't fucking care about the story, sequels should improve the gameplay first and foremost.

>every story would be fresh

Yeah we totally don't have 1000 world war games or MC is amnesiac stories or become more progressive and unite different people to save world stories that are not sequels.

That's beside the point.

When your entire market is primarily comprised of sequels, you have a problem. When your entire medium is primarily comprised of sequels you have a massive problem. When the titles in your medium you praise the most are sequels, you have a gargantuan fucking problem.

>You're mad that you're a lowly peasant billowing in mediocrity eating the same slop every day?
I don't watch Zero Punctuation.

How many games out there have sequels that are leaps and bounds better than the original? I would say MOST series.

I would rather expand on a good story then have people churning out new stories that may or may not be as good.

Just like films.

You'd just get an infinite cycle of rebranding instead.

Instead of Link you'd get Lonc, a young boy in blue tunic is solves puzzles, plunges dungeons and saves princess Bellra.

>implying the story of these games is the problem

Sure, being excessive and bloated hurts the gameplay, but the gameplay itself being terrible? THAT is the issue we're facing. Giving it the writing of Hamlet isn't gonna make that better.

If sequels were banned my favorite game wouldn't exist.

>aged like milk
>the best

>Thief 2 and Half-Life 2
Why are these sub-par games praised so highly?

No because with no sequels nothing gets improved.
We would never get a Zone of the Enders 2 without Zone of the Enders 1 and the problems it had.

Especially since half the games he has made are sequels.

GOJIRA!!!!

>Unregulated markets
>unregulated industries
>unregulated TV

The first of those three would fix the other two.

It's true that 'franchise' movies get the most cash, but look for any best movies ever list and you will find nothing but standalones except for Godfather (or something like Alien/Psycho but then only the first one)

Jaws was a great movie. Why did you need Jaws 57?

Legend of Zelda was a good game. Why did you need Skyward Sword?

Invent something new be creative. You can go from Sweet Home to Resident Evil. Why do you need Resident Evil 6 COD Edition?

We could have new genres by now if it weren't for Cred Forums buying the same game over and over and over.

>sub par
half life 2 is very average nowadays though

>13 years old
>pretending opinion matters

Lunch is almost over, Jimmy.

No. Some of the best games of all time were sequels or spinoffs. Yearly rehashes are a small price to play for gems like Mother 2, Super Mario Bros 3, and so on.

>LoZ was a good game, why did you need OoT
>OoT was a good game, why did you need Majora's Mask
>Windows 95 was good, why did you need Windows XP etc etc

No
That would mean characters would never develop further than within one story. That's shitty

A company doesn't have to do solely sequels or new IPs. They can do both.

Why have Zone of the Enders when you can have Bulk Slash or Virtua On?

Make something new. That's what Sega did. They were innovative. They didn't just rely on sequel after sequel before the death of the Dreamcast.

There didn't need to be a fucking Skies of Arcadia 2.

>Yahtzee is also a whiny shit stain that praises any game that strokes his sensitive ego. You think if that nigger went back and played Thief 2 he'd be good at it? Un-fucking-likely. This is also the same guy who gets grumpy dumpys whenever a game has multiplayer because he refuses to learn mechanics and adapt.
he would probably say it's outdated and the designers couldn't be helped other than to put him to sleep like (insert shitty joke/reference here). His complaints about some games are so retarded, he hated Demons Souls but loved Dark Souls. It's like he flips a coin for each game whether he wants to get into them or not.

I also still watch him but seem to always never agree but it's fun if you want to hate on a gamegod help me

>every story would have to be fresh
Yahtzee come the fuck on, you know better

>He hates most of those series.
I'm pretty sure he gave Link Between Worlds and Galaxy good reviews. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's even stated that he prefers Nintendo's practices over Sony's and Microsofts.

>That would mean characters would never develop further than within one story.
Why don't you make one fucking game and make it complete then with no loose ends?

In other words, Final Fantasy - that still retains something old that people liked from every previous installment.

It just won't work

And what's wrong with fandoms?

Sega makes constant sequels as well though besides making new IPs.

Pic related is 28 years old.
Try again.

you idiot. I maybe want a game where Leon is not the newbie cop anymore

Fandoms are based on franchising which is based on commercialism.

And it's inferior to the first?

What's your point? Adding more doesn't equal "better". If anything it waters the artistic integrity and impact of the first.

>Windows 95 was the first
Everyone laugh at the millenial.

Nintendo has about that many IPs, or rather, probably more

Just look at the Touhou, Sonic, or Kingdom Hearts fanbases.
Of course, this is all a moot point, as Undertale has an awful fanbase too with only one game.

STEP 1 TO SAVING Cred Forums:
Ban anyone who tries to starts a Yahtzee thread. Because they're either Yahtzee self-promoting (which is a rule violation) or underage (also a rule violation).

And this is why Cred Forums is casual as shit. All they care for is commercial entertainment gains. They don't care for art or craft like Yahtzee.

Did you whine at the end of Sunrise and ask for a sequel with different scenarios for the characters?

>I play games for the story
He's a fag but you already knew that because of the le fedora

Who said it was first? And learn the meaning of millenial.

And those aren't all the IP's in that pic. It doesn't even include the countless arcade titles like Choplifter, Thunderblade, Gale Racer, and Scud Race.

>Link Between Worlds
>good review
>review
You mean the video where he used the game as an excuse to go on another autistic Nintendo rant rather than actually talking about it?

I can assure you he has a higher IQ than you.

>games are not art
That's great it means you can fuck off artfag

Disney can barely ever get any sequels to sell, let alone multiple.

Name 5 series where the original game is the best. You can't.

user...

Well he's not wrong.

Link Between Worlds is shit.

Silent Hill

Metal Gear

Zelda

Halo

Half Life

Not the guy but:
Deus Ex
Golden Sun
Guild Wars
Starcraft
Dragon Age

>tfw let's drown out is over

my sundays are ruined

>better music
>better level design
>better bosses
>better graphics
>better controls
>better difficulty balancing
>did I mention way fucking better music?
>inferior
You can only fedora so hard, bro.

no but it's better than SH2 at least
no
no but I'll let you have that one for giggles
not especially although PC modding scene so maybe
meh

all wrong except half life
accurate.

still though, most sequels are better than their original.

You do realize that everyone who watched Yahtzee's videos back when he was actually relevant is at least 18+ now, right?

>Was he right Cred Forums?
It's a hypothetical. What you should be asking is "Do you agree with the point he was making?"

Yes that is a pretty reasonable point to make imo.

Because Zone of the Enders is cool

Thats retarded, sequels are how games grow and get better

We will never know since we can't objectively rate games without subjective preferences. Even the shittiest games on here have followings of people who enjoy them. Since it isn't something we can accomplish in this medium we can't get a final end all rating for games.

If we could though. We could list all game sequels. If we find the majority to be good. Then he was wrong. If we find the majority to be shit. Then he was right.

>imagine a world without pc gamers
it would be great

>make shit game 1
>release a prequel of shit game 1
>keep rehashing the same shit but now backwards
woah, so this is the mastermind behind the /r/pcmasterrace?

But the majority of games in general are shit, so it only follows that the majority of sequels will also be shit

I like to many sequels to agree

True but some games objectivelly would be dead and forever remembered as shit without sequels, like Monster Hunter for example. Even if you don't like the series, sequels became one of the most popular games in Japan and original game was 2/10.

You're a shit-eating casual if you honestly think any Zelda after the first is the best. There is not a single other Zelda that is harder or more obtuse and challenging.

Also Metal Gear 1 is objectively the best unless you're a '90+fag that grew up with mgs1 and up (NEVERMIND GAMEPLAY, SHOW ME GOOFY ANIME CUTSCENES XDDD)
youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg

Nope, there will always be the same percentage of shit games.

Zone of the Enders is shit

>It's not really that arguable.
It depends what writing and whether you consider all writing art.

Like, is a novel art? Shit art, but yeah, sure, it's art.

Is a technical manual art, though? Is a safety notice art? Is a bus schedule art? Those are all writings.

Not really, everyone liked Meral Gear 2 better, it's superior in every single possible way.

>They aren't in the music industry

Probably because music is such a fluid, amorphous concept compared to films, books, etc. that sequels don't matter. A more appropriate comparison would be artists overhauling their style and sound from one album to the next.

>Actually listening to what this fedora wearing faggot has to say

thats it m8. we're gonna have to take this 1 outside

oot, mm, lttp all preferable to zelda 1. i even have more nostalgia value with zelda 2 because it took longer to beat for me.

i dont see metal gear series as being that great personally but the second is definitely better than the first

>There is not a single other Zelda that is harder

No thank you. I want Skullgirls 2.

zelda 1 and 2 were shit

ESPECIALLY zelda 2

LTTP is where the series got gud

>Every story would have to be fresh
"Mario, save the princess" "Link, save the princess" "Fred, save the princess" * 1000

>so writers would have to work extra hard to make the characters relatable.
They can't use Samus, so they'll make Federation Force instead.

>With no sequels, there are no franchises, so there'd be less fandom...
There would be pseudo-franchises (Same gameplay different characters) to be fanboys of, and the "This isn't a real X game" would be even stronger.

>And best of all, endings would have to have some fucking closure!
How many sequels are planned for No Man's Sky?

what a horrible idea

>zelda 1 and 2 were shit

Hi, MILLENNIAL!!! I KNOW RIGHT!!!? WHO NEEDS CHALLENGE IN THEIR GAMES?? XDDD GIVE ME MORE STORY AND EXTRA LIVES

Zelda 1 and 2 are equal for me

>oot, mm, lttp all preferable to zelda 1
In what capacity? All of those are casual as shit that took the action out of "action/adventure"

Go to bed Yahtzee.

>challenge
the combat in Zelda 1 and 2 is piss easy, the only "hard" part of the game is wandering around the overworld trying to find where to go next without any hints

>trying to find where to go next without any hints
That is half the challenge in most games from that era. It's only really cool if you're an 8 year old with nothing else to do.

>obtuse
>Zelda 1
not even fucking slightly. Zelda 1 is incredibly straightforward and the only reason you think otherwise is because you lack the basic brainpower to draw a map or use the one included in the instructions booklet. I guess if you think that needing to waste your time getting hearts/bombs/etc. every time you die inside a dungeon constitutes challenge, then yes, Zelda 1 is very difficult. Were you to cut out the massive amount of pointless walking, however, you'd quickly find that Zelda 1 isn't any more challenging than a game like Super Meat Boy. "Hard is good" is an awful argument, anyway.

>Hi, MILLENNIAL!!! I KNOW RIGHT!!!? WHO NEEDS CHALLENGE IN THEIR GAMES?? XDDD GIVE ME MORE STORY AND EXTRA LIVES
>extra lives
you don't even know why LttP is easier than Zelda 1, do you

never mind the fact that the bosses in Zelda 1 are piss easy by comparison

It's funny that he rails on fandom because there's a shit ton of his fanboys in this thread right now.

>Hi, MILLENNIAL!!!
post a picture of photo id and your face proving you werent born after 1998

>Super Metroid wouldnt be a thing
>Pikmin 2 and 3, which are realy amazing and have a conclussive ending would never be made
>Melee, Brawl and sm4sh wouldnt be made
>We would only have Super Mario Kart
there are so many nintendo games where the sequel > original. No he wasnt right

you havin a stroke mate?

_______FUN____________

combat in zelda 2 is not piss easy. theres no way youve actually beaten that game if you think it was easy.

frankly idgaf which one of these games is better, the point is that sequels build upon their series ideas and typically produce better games

>Brawl and sm4sh wouldnt be made
This is supposed to be a bad thing?

No one should take him at face value, he's just a guy that has a big enough audience of retards that stupid shit he says to actually get debated

>That is half the challenge in most games from that era.
>talking down on the NES

You are a millennial plain and simple.
Also
> It's only really cool if you're an 8 year old with nothing else to do.
That's EXACTLY the fucking point of Zelda since the beginning. Expanding on it and dumbing it down is not "improvement". It's slowing fucking ruining what made it good to begin with.

There's more important things than stories in games.

Also you have cases where sequels to games are dramatically different than the previous ones.

>Also you have cases where sequels to games are dramatically different than the previous ones.
Then why not make a new IP?

Same goes for every other art form you listed then.

>combat in zelda 2 is not piss easy.
It's pretty goddamn easy

>touch the enemy with your sword before the enemy touches you
wew so hard

and most of the combat screens can just be fled from anyway

>millennial
Still waiting on that piece of photo ID bub. Post literally anything that proves you're a functional adult. Anything.

Previous themes may still apply to the game.

Xcom apoc is very different from xcom UFO defense or TFTD but it still has a lot of the same ideas and concepts from those games.

No. Just because something is a new IP doesn't mean it'll be fresh and original and just because something is a sequel doesn't mean it's bland and uninspired.

Plus there would be no Silent Hill 2 so he can go fuck himself right up the ass he so often speaks out of.

>UGH HOW CAN YOU NOT BE A MELEE TOURNEY TARD LIKE MYSELF?! IM PROUD THAT I HAVENT TOOK A BATH IN 4 YEARS!!!
Sorry that I am not as autistic as you are

>imagine world with no sequels
>immediately mentions sequels

>Then why not make a new IP?
Sales. People are likelier to buy a game based on something familiar than to take a shot in the dark on something new.

Silent Hill 2 was shit though. The first was far better.

>Same goes for every other art form you listed then.
Well, yeah, a dry flight simulator might not be art in the same way a painting or play is, but Ace Combat would be, just like how technical specs and workplace safety videos are not art the same way paintings and plays are.

art is kinda a bullshit term/field anyway. It only really works in the very classical sense of "the work of a skilled trade".

Was the industry nearly as big in the 40's and 50's? If not, then there's your answer - the lack of sequels.

>Silent Hill 2 was shit though

>Sales
Then, for such a cynical waste of space this place is, shouldn't you all be rather inclined to the idea of no sequels since they all derive from the cynical ambition of making more money?

You even said it yourself. No one makes a sequel to a preexisting work without the intent of selling more dosh.

How many times did you die in your Silent Hill 2 playthrough?

I agree that video games can be considered art, was just pointing out that saying "writing is arguably an art" applies to painting/plays/music/etc. as well. I can paint something but it doesn't automatically make it art. A man on stage quoting the phone book while someone else to the side says "shut up" is not an artful play.

>Implying I died more than twice in Silent HIll 1
>Implying how much you die makes good horror

You can reply to this if you want but I'm done with your shit bait.

>>"Imagine a world where non sequels are banned. Would this not be a beautiful place? Sure, we'd miss out on genuinely original games, like Killer 7 or Undertale but I think that's a small price to pay. The writers would have to work extra hard to keep evry story fresh rather than redoing another old plot with slightly tweaked characters, there'd have to make the characters relatable and develop them well rather than just rebooting when they messed up. And best of all, endings would have to have to be decent since the devs would need to deal with it in the next entry."

I don't care that people want to make money. Money is good. Money is security. Mo money, fewer problems (and mo money for other projects, including sequels, because sequels are not necessarily bad)

Didn't he hate games were the story obnoxiously got in the way but loved games like Doom 2016 because story was more optional?

Did you not read the entire text?

Silent Hill 2 is just sort of boring, it's kind of a moody game where you slowly explore environments that looks exactly the same all the time.

Hotel's fuckin' amazing tho

From the Smithsonian Art of Video Games exhibit:
>Pitfall II: Lost Caverns
>The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate
>Mega Man 2
>Super Mario Bros. 3
>Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
>Phantasy Star IV
>Shining Force 2
>Dune II: Battle for Arrakis
>Gradius III
>The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
>Super Mario World
>Donkey Kong Country
>Diablo II
>Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
>Doom II
>Star Fox 64
>The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
>The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
>Paper Mario
>Super Mario 64
>Worms Armageddon
>Phantasy Star Online
>Sonic Adventure
>Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
>SimCity 2000
>Colony Wars III: Red Sun
>Final Fantasy VII
>Crash Bandicoot: Warped
>Final Fantasy Tactics
>Shenmue II
>Halo 2
>Jet Set Radio Future
>Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved
>Assault Heroes 2
>Mass Effect 2
>The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
>Gears of War 2
>Halo 3
>Halo Wars
> Halo Wars
>The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
>Fallout 3
>Half-Life 2
>Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
>Age of Empires III
>Star Fox Assault
> The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
>Tales of Symphonia
>Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
>Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
>Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
>Pikmin 2
>Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
>The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
>Super Paper Mario
>Monster Hunter Tri
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Battalion Wars 2
>Gradius V
>Final Fantasy X
>Kingdom Hearts II
>Tony Hawk's Underground 2
>Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
>Armored Core 3
>Final Fantasy XIII
>Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
>Call of Duty: Black Ops
>LittleBigPlanet 2
>Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution

>nope
>nope
>nope
>yeah
>yeah

three to go, user

What makes any Silent Hill better than first?

What makes any Metal Gear better than first?

What makes any Zelda better than first?

Are you a cancerous storyfag?

Giving you more tools or putting more shit on screen doesn't mean better.

Robotron is the best hullethell shooter and Zelda 1 is the best Zelda-like game.

He likes emergent storytelling, i.e. not cutscene saturation or exposition dumps. I think he likes HL2 because even though the story stuff was all basically interactive cutscenes, it gave the player freedom to fuck around and not pay attention if they wanted to, and also the game has lots of story being told during normal gameplay as well.

t. not Yahtzee, I've just listened to him for a long time

>No Kid Icarus Uprising
>No super metroid or any of the primes
>No SM64
>Really no Mario games as a whole.
>No Donkey Kong games other than the arcade
>No SMT Nocturne or 4/A
>No Ace Attorney T&T
>No FE
>No Armored Core
I could go on.

Armored Core 1 is the best one though.

>Some fags saying something on a forum is evidence of it being true
If that's the case then Battletoads is the greatest game of all time.

Those "fags" are far older and have been playing games for way longer than you.

Doesn't change the fact that they are fags.

>If that's the case then Battletoads is the greatest game of all time.
No, but it's surely top 20

Mogworld was pretty good until it shat the bed at the end.

>no refining or evolving a game series over the years

No he's a dildo, fuck that idiot.

>but it's surely top 20

Why? Combat is simplistic and repetitive and that's the best thing this game has to offer other than challenge.

Sorry half life 2 was over rated as fuck. Starts out promising, then it turned into a boat simulator and I got bored and quit.

It is overrated but it's not bad when you pass through boring middlegame.

this desu

It's a beautiful smorgasbord of genre's with emphasis on speed, precision, and reaction. Tight, focused and compact.

Emphasis is on repeating the same shit 10000 times until you are able to move on. It's like fan-made AVGN games. Not bad but not top 20 or anything near it.

>any game that has more story is automatically bad
Oh shit, it's ACfag, abort!

>From the developers of Call of Duty
>Called to Duty

after the 4th game you need to fuck off. some games can be good just using 2 games, some need 3. 4 is enough. any more sequels after that then its obvious you're just milking it.

Because new IPs always have great writing and great endings, right?
No, he's a fucking idiot like always.

Are you umplying that Asian companies would have to put some effort?

What a disaster!

>A world without Super Mario World
I'd rather die.

Shut up. I found clear evidence that Battletoads is the greatest game.

The only difference it would make is that yes there would be new characters and story but the actual game would play the same if they really wanted to expand on their previous games design. It would accomplish nothing, games wouldn't magically become original and interesting.

He's completely wrong, as is every opinion that comes out of this autistic retard.

>sequels stop existing
>everything else becomes a spin-off that you have to play to get the rest of the story from the original

SURE HOPE YOU LIKE SHARED UNIVERSES

But it's literally LTTP with better dungeons and an interesting wall painting mechanic, also better story.

Only bad thing is the hideous visuals.

That's completely retarded, the amount of great games that came to be that were sequels outweighs in importance than preventing bad ones from being made. Such stupid reasoning, no it wouldn't be beautiful.

Yahtzee has always been a man with terrible opinions. Prove me right.

I...I can't.

Who?

>default blue theme instead of Tomorrow
doesn't count, shit taste in board themes

Does yahtzee even like games? I think of maybe 10 reviews I saw of his I think he thought earthbound was average and that was the best one I could remember.

His viewers don't like it when he's nice to games, so most of the time he shits on them regardless.

He has better taste in games than you, faggot.

Yahtzee's idea of a good game is Bioshock Infinite.

But my favorite game is your favorite game.

If I wanted to play Link to the Past, I'd play it. Why the literal fuck would I play a reskin of it with added gimmicks that detract or add nothing substantial to the gameplay?

Let me guess. You're one of those twinks that played Twin Snakes first and never played the original metal gears?

I bet Yahtzee hates porn sequels as well.

>ACfag is in this thread
dear god no...

And its difficulty, applied not by the designers but by the publisher, is inexcusable.

>m-muh free market

youtube.com/watch?v=rciyCHa6J4o

He says that he focuses on flaws so that video games can improve, rather than gloss over them so that they ignorantly persist.

He likes plenty of games. Zero Punctuation isn't exactly a good metric for his taste as it is a comedic show, watch Let's Drown Out instead.

rip LDO
we'll miss you Gabe

You can usually tell what he likes by finding out what he doesn't like and imagining the opposite of that.

Its idiotic fantasy.

If were being dumb id just demand that all games play perfectly and have perfect atmosphere and music

Just sticking with number twos:

>Dawn of War 2
>Civilization 2
>Way of the Samurai 2
>Yakuza 2
>Super Hexagon
>Victoria 2
>Imperialism 2
>Master of Orion 2
>Fallout 2
>Deadlock 2
>XCOM 2
>X-COM TFTD
>Homeworld 2
>Grandia 2
>Siralim 2
>Euro Truck Simulator 2
>Crazy Steam Bros 2
>Lost Planet 2
>Noitu Love 2
>Streets of Rage 2
>Sonic the Hedgehog 2
>DoDonPachi
>Star Ruler 2
>StarDrive 2
>Jet Set Radio Future
>Resident Evil 2
>Serious Sam The Second Encounter
>Full Spectrum Warrior 2
>Danmaku Unlimited 2
>ArmA 2
>Company of Heroes 2

The only truly awful number two here is Yahtzee's comment on sequels.

>Imagine a world where sequels after 2 are banned

fixed

>A sequel is a chance to improve upon the base of the first game

What's the point if the vast majority of these attempts fail miserably?

What's the point of games at all if the vast majority of them are shit?

>Devil May Cry dies after 2
no