Koji Igarashi was inspired to create Symphony of the Night after seeing Castlevania in the bargain bin

>Koji Igarashi was inspired to create Symphony of the Night after seeing Castlevania in the bargain bin

Any other developers with unusual inspirations?

I don't understand. A lot of great games end up in bargain bins

He just walked into a store one day and got so offended that he created Symphony of the Night.

Sounds p autistic to me

Usually the best stories in these threads are when the devs were making one game, but then found out a game mechanic was more fun/exciting than their main one, and made a different game instead.

Interesting. What game would that be?

GTA1. Was going to be a racing game at first but people found it more fun to mess with the police.

you literally have no clue what autism means

Let's be honest here, every Castlevania up to Symphony of the Night sucked shitdick and deserved to land bargain bins.
Whereas SotN is a timeless classic like Super Metroid. It rustled his jimmies so hard that old Iga actually outdid himself and it lasted only a short while, because after the 2D Nintendo DS Metroidvenias Castlevenia went back to sucking shitdick in the forgotten catacombs harder than ever.

>Keiji Inafune was inspired to create Mighty No. 9 after seeing all the gullible retards whining about MegaMan in general
It's true

The guy who made cave story was inspired by money and the amounts of money he would recieve

Cave Story is freeware.

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK
OPEN YOUR EYES

>have to pay money for the definitive version
>have to pay money again for the 3d version

(((freeware)))

WHAT DO YOU SEE?
A CUÇK THAT TAPPED IN 3

Ironic because I got SOTN out of a bargain bin for like $3.

I remember reading on a JP site that Tengai Makyou ZERO was made because the developer[s] all realized and were saddened because their own kids were ignoring the main series on PC-E in lieu of Final Fantasy on Famicom.

>because I got SOTN out of a bargain bin for like $3.
>lying on the internet

>ITT things that never happened

>Classicvanias "suck shitdick" and deserve to land on bargain bins
>Super Metroid and SotN are timeless classics
>DS 'Metroidvenias' 'suck shitdick'

Are you even reading what you're writing before you post? you're saying that games that improved everything over SotN (except for the artwork of the characters in DoS and PoR) are worse than SotN.

Yeah because retailers just selling games by putting them on sale is such a tall tale to tell.
What's supposed to be weird about that?

>It rustled his jimmies so hard
Even that didn't give it away to you?

I try to avoid making assumptions.

>improved everything
>worse art
>smaller locations
>lower quality audio
>flooded with pointless abilities(this is especially true in the sorrow games and ecclessia)
>more noticeable reuse of old content than what Sotn did
ok

Best motivation has always been "fuck the market I'm finally gonna make the game I always wanted to play"
Its how we got Godhand

I hate SotN for changing Castlevania.

I can't decide if I like SotN for (re)inventing a genre I enjoy because it also killed another genre of games.

So you are indirectly admitting that you never found it in a bargain bin for $3, you little shit. It's good that we've cleared that up.
If you actually knew anything about SOTN and its availability you wouldn't even ironic shitpost like that.

So you hate it for hate it for moving away from a beaten to death sidescroller formula and bringing attention to a severely underappreciated genre at the time?

>>worse art
I did mention that, and it's only the case for DoS and PoR
>>smaller locations
>bigger = better
oh yeah, and the entire map being recycled into the original inverted castle donut steel was fucking AAA material
>>lower quality audio
hardware limitations, same as the GBA games' graphics

you should care about the melodies, not the sound quality, when comparing games in different hardware

hell, Castlevania III has a better soundtrack than SotN

>>flooded with pointless abilities(this is especially true in the sorrow games and ecclessia)
can you elaborate on what is a pointless ability?
or better yet, show me how the... 6? different spells in SotN trump the 50+ spells in those games

>>more noticeable reuse of old content than what Sotn did
you're insane, SotN recycles enemies frequently and 50% of the map is straight up copypaste, sometimes recolored

also, SotN is way too easy, even for a Metroidvania game, as long as you
>can perform Soulsteal
>use shield rod + medusa shield
>or shield rod+alucard shield
>or the sword that replaces shield rod and those shields
>or crissaegrim
>or the other sword that I forgot the name that dishes a shitton of damage

on top of all that, SotN has like 50 different short swords that play exactly the same

>beaten to death sidescroller formula
Not at the time.
Look at "Metroidvanias" now.

>killed another genre of games.
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth came out way after SotN, you know, and it's great

>beaten to death sidescroller formula
the only sidescroller that sort of played like castlevania was ghouls n ghosts

>Not at the time
You're delusional. Almost the entire NES library was sidescrollers and SNES was only somewhat better.

I didn't tell the original tale, just questioned your suspicions.

Remakes don't count

why? you care about the story? is this a joke?

>implying Castlevania didn't fuck up the underappreciated genre by throwing in pointless stats and grinding

You are entitled to your opinion user. Me? I absolutely loathe and despise all 3D Metroids.

The best example is when Hideki Kamiya got a bunch of kids to try out Viewtiful Joe before its release. Their impression of the game was that it was crappy because it was too hard. Of course, this pissed off Kamiya and was like "These kids don't even know what they want." Then he made the game even more difficult.

This would make a fun story if the game would have sold better.

If you add "less than" it not only stings more while being more accurate, it also brings it to the correct number of syllables.

I think he was saying that Castlevania went to shit AFTER the DS games.

I hope so. But he also didn't correct my greentext so far, so I don't think that's the case.

Devil may cry. Capcom started to develope resident evil 4, but it just got so much crazier and away from re that they actually decided to make a new game instead

Also interesting is that the "juggling" mechanics in DMC were inspired by a bug in Onimusha, which was in itself originally supposed to be a RE spinoff set in a ninja house during the Sengoku period.

that explains why RE4 Leon is figuratively Dante

I'm very curious where he got the idea from that the actions of the player should link together. He mentioned this in an interview around the time when he anounced his new game on kickstarter.

The game has some very cool mechanics because of this, so I'm curious where he got it from.