Holy Shit, this remake sucks

Holy Shit, this remake sucks

That's right, I am talking about the Super Mario All-Stars Version Of Super Mario Bros (and it's at-the-time Japan-only sequel). Holy shit, they really fucked up this one! Though some of you can see what makes it shit, you really have to feel it to see how bad it is. For those of you not hooked on the plumbers, these 2 games are all about 2 things: speed, and flow. For those not in the know, a skilled player will be able to start running, and jump and duck through a level with seamless flow, even when dealing with enemies, picking up powerups, and hitting blocks. Mario and blocks go together like pet iguanas and salmonella; they are inseparable. Yet for some reason or another, this mostly tasteful port (with some questionable choices such as the colors of the outfit and pink bloopers) has its physics completely fucked with.

In the original game and every port and remake besides this one, when Mario hits a block, he bounces back quickly with no loss of momentum. Not so here! In this shitty game, Mario is sucked up for a split-second, and goes straight up, and goes right back down, straight down; this tiny physics change, literally ruins the entire flow and balance of the game, making it a completely lesser and different experience. Instead of a seamless flow of gaming action, you constantly stop, and start, and stop, and start.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if this game were released today, it would be looked at a lot more critically and deserving.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/167
m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1036207
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shut the fuck up you aspie shithead

all stars is better, no fuck off

I actually prefer the GBA ports.

>In the original game and every port and remake besides this one, when Mario hits a block, he bounces back quickly with no loss of momentum. Not so here! In this shitty game, Mario is sucked up for a split-second, and goes straight up,

you suck at life & videogames if u defend this

The All-Stars version of 2 is fine.

All-Stars 3 on the other hand sucks, I agree. The original had some beautiful abstract backgrounds and tilesets and the All-Stars version makes everything very generic looking.

That color limit on the NES really screwed with that game. the All-Stars version is obviously the way it was intended to be.

im playing nes 3 on emulator right now

im stuck on the 2nd world

i dont know how i beat this as a kid...

>tfw killing the angry sun

The physics change in SMB1 and Lost Levels is supposedly a bug rather than an intended change, the game is mostly based on the original code but the Y velocity after hitting a block is reversed. There's a patch that fixes it: romhacking.net/hacks/167

no. it's not.

thanks.

obviously its not intended. doesn't change the fact that its a fatal flaw

Not SMB1.

>0 lives

i guess im taking an death on purpose?

>doesn't change the fact that its a fatal flaw
Of course it is, just letting people know this patch exists if for some reason they actually want to play with the graphical and audio changes. Personally I don't care for them though, so it's the NES versions for me.

All-Stars is definitely better if you want to play SMW two-player.

How can you suck this bad?

Holy shiiiiit

SMB2(jp) felt really floaty to me fore some reason, and Doki Doki Mario's legos were pretty ugly

but All stars is great

what am i supposed to be seeing?

>all the troll item locations in 3

64 ds might be worst

I heard there was an anchor item in smb3 but it might have been a rumor or probably doesnt exist. Has anyone found it?

luigi sprite

Yeah, it makes the airships stay put if you die. I think some hammer bros. drop them.

SMW in Super Mario All Stars actually has a different design for Luigi, not just being a green palette swap of Mario

I never liked how the boss fight rooms got turned into Lego Land.

GameFAQs post?

Everything looks better on DS except the Bowser lighting

They really should have saved a 64 remake for the 3DS.

Unacceptable

Nobody plays All-Stars for SMB1 and Lost Levels. The grand reason for playing All-Stars is for SMB2 and 3, my dude.

Yes, it looks better, and is more in line with the general Mario visual style

If you wanna pick at the remake, cite the control issues or discrepancies in physics

Nintendo always tries to release remakes as soon as possible instead of waiting.

Should've remade SM64 on the Gamecube, then.

>cool fish has no glasses
into the trash it goes
>teeth
EEEEE TAKE IT AWAY

That fish has no shades, though. Just a empty void where his eyes should be.

>Nobody will ever manage to remake 64 on PCs without showing it off from it's very first stages and letting Nintendo shut them down before release

all stars is better. you're just a disgusting faggot with a small cock

How the fuck is the All-Stars version the way it was intended to be? I see nothing indicating the level being made of fucking coloured legos in the NES version. And the second level looks like it's supposed to be snowy and icy, and then in the All-Stars version it's just not.

Brace yourself. Luigi on an egg is coming.

>egg

haha

literally cancer

it was meant to be solid rock. like a cave.

GameFAQs is better than Cred Forums.

m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1036207

why you stealing my thread?

The physics are superior. You dont have shit like smb1's janky momentum ruining jumps any more. Smb2 may be debatable but smb3 is better on all fronts.

It's crazy how well games like SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure aged graphically.

The DS version looked better, I'm sorry. It also had a solid amount of new features and content. The multiplayer and minigames were really nice.

Its one major weakness are the controls, but they're not as big of an issue as people like to make them out to be.

SMB2 GBA port is so polished, it's amazing

>Kirby's Adventure
that reminds me. another butchered remake

i prefer the all star version of SMB2, and the original version of SMB3. i'm on the fence about SMB1

>The DS version looked better
I ACTUALLY PITY YOU. YOU MUST HAVE POOR EYESIGHT OR JUST A SMALL BRAIN

>those pixelated textures on DS

Yeah it does. the models are slicker and more accurate to the characters they're supposed to represent. Bowser looks like a joke, and is nowhere near how he appeared in the previous games. They were still getting their footing with the n64 hardware. The DS version? Looks slick as fuck.

Again, its one major weakness are the controls, but they're not outright broken.

Why is the grass dead?
Why is the dirt so dry?

It's a Bobomb "battlefield", not a walk in the park.

It's a sequel, not a remake.

It's either that or the smudged as fuck textures on the N64. Pick your flavor of shit.

Personally the only thing I have against the DS remake is the controls. Supposedly playing an 3DS with the circle pad fixes that a little but I've never bothered replaying the DS version.

It feels better, but it's still not 100%.

I hear there's a mod that makes it so you can use the touchscreen controls (which are full analog) on a gamepad.

I really hate this shit and I don't know why nobody calls the game out on it.
I'll stick to the original for this reason alone.

The original Scuttlebug looked better

idk. its about even, but they are both better than that bumble bee faggot in DS

It's REALISTIC, HD SM64. I mean, it's just obviously better.

Well compared to the DS resolution and texture quality, the N64 version doesn't look so smudged and shitty. The DS version looks smudged and yet also pixelated.

they traded texture resolution for polygons

because it's a remake

N64 supports texture filtering, the DS doesn't.

N64 had texture filtering
I dunno what the texture resolutions for the two games was but I doubt they were that different, N64 didn't have much room on the cartridges for big textures.

Cred Forums won't care. Most users here have absolutely no eye for detail and will defend the stupidest shit and tell you you have autism.

Why doesn't the mario romhacking community ever make romhacks with allstar assets, its always SMW hacks

I assume SNES games have had romhack tools for far longer than the GBA remakes, if they have any at all.

Keep in mind, the DS version was meant to be played on a screen smaller than your fist.

It looked fucking beautiful on the handheld itself.

64 Skuttlebug is so iconic to me now thanks to that dude that is obsessed to SM64 that the DS one just looks like total trash and unacceptable.

The 64 model was mostly 2D compared the full 3D DS one.

There were a lot of little touches that made the DS version sharper. Coins weren't sprites anymore.

The original Skuttlebug's design is atrocious it's just become kinda charming. You can't defend perfect spheres in character design.

They recognized their limit and went for a a more stylistic route. Compare them to the million licensed games on the NES that want for pushing it as much as possible which only resulted in ugly aesthetics and flickering everywhere.

It's basically a precursor to games like Wind Waker, in the sense that they aged better than a lot of their contemporaries.

The only setback is the DS's capabilities. The art direction is much more spot on.

what? Mario becomes fat with the metal form in Mario 64 DS?

Eh, I wouldn't call any Nintendo handheld's screen and resolution "beautiful". Even 3DS games look like total shit, honestly. You'd think it could at least provide a resolution that doesn't look jaggy as fuck on the small screen the device has.

Fidelity-wise and technically, SM64 DS looks better than the N64 version, I think. The aesthetics are very different though.

Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi are playable in the DS remake.

tl;dr

That's a mistake 2bh, texture is more important in making games look than polygons.

The 7th gen was exactly that, models now had way more polygons, but textures looked like smeared dogshit past 5 inches away from you.

Some DS games and quite a few 3DS games look way better when you force them to render at a higher resolution on an emulator. 3DS emulation still has a ways to go though.

To make the different playable characters more fun, they each have their own powerups.
Mario uses the wing cap, Luigi uses the inviso cap, and Wario uses the metal cap.

mario cant turn metal in DS. only a balloon. and wario is the new metal Mario. its literally cancer

>In the original game and every port and remake besides this one, when Mario hits a block, he bounces back quickly with no loss of momentum. Not so here! In this shitty game, Mario is sucked up for a split-second, and goes straight up, and goes right back down, straight down; this tiny physics change, literally ruins the entire flow and balance of the game, making it a completely lesser and different experience. Instead of a seamless flow of gaming action, you constantly stop, and start, and stop, and start.

mfw i didn't know this.

It's like Barneyfag except user was triggered by a lego they stepped on in 3rd grade.

Yeah, I imagine so. Most DS games that were worth playing were pure 2D anyway though, IIRC, so it's not that big of a deal I guess.

I use a 3DS XL too so that's part of it, but I don't really feel the upgrade in hardware from the 12-year-old PSP. The resolution is the same, maybe even lower, and the textures and effects are a bit fancier due to newer graphics engines but the games run at sub-60 FPS all the time. But it's all right.

Nintendo had no good reason to not at least give the 3DS a 480 resolution.

Getting a N3DS with homebrew for Clock+L2 to force even older games to take advantage of the better hardware has been real nice so far.

Money's a pretty compelling reason. Nintendo almost never sells consoles at a loss.