If this is the worst final fantasy, why is it so good?

If this is the worst final fantasy, why is it so good?

Because no Final Fantasy is actually bad

Because it's the one you played when you were a kid.

It was a decent game in a mediocre series. The game itself isn't great. it just looks good compared to most of the others.

It's my favorite FF of them all and I have played all of theme including spinoffs, MMOs and the like. It has the best story, main character, character development, ost and the junction system is amazing.

I played it recently one year ago and it is still an amazing game.

X-2 was bad

Because it's actually good user.

That'd be 6. Complete mess of a game character wise and mechanically but for some reason has a huge following among message board posters and Internet reviewers.

Except 13

Because despite what anyone says each main final fantasy is at worst a good JRPG it's just when compared to masterpieces like tactics VI, IV, and IX some gems don't shine as well as the rest.

>punished for grinding and getting stronger

Into le trash

I just got a promotion at work so I'm feeling happy, so take this (you)

Best soundtrack

5 > 9 > 4 > 7 > 1 > 6 > 12 > 3 > 10 > 13 > 8 > 2

>It has the best story

well, you didn't tell the guy he was wrong, and you just made it even more obvious

5 is overrated as fuck and everything notable about it has been done better in a thousand other games. It's basically a barebones NES RPG with better graphics. I suppose that gives it hipster cred

9 is good, 4 is actually pretty shit

7 that low just means you're trying to look less mainstream, it really is one of the best ones

Tier List

>S
FFVI, FFVII

>A
FFIX, FFX, FFXII

>not even noteworthy tier
literally all the others

if you want RPGs to be generic high fantasy I suggest you just try DQ

>Everything notable about it has been done better in a thousand other games
Not one game has matched the job system of 5. Only Tactics even gets close
It's the best light-hearted comedy-ish RPG story. Only Mario RPGs come close.

I've played the first 6 DQ games and the only ones I really liked were 4 and 6. It's generic high fantasy with no flavor in it, whereas every FF game, including 5, has flavor in it.

Basically you're a supreme faggot for calling something overrated.

It did have the best story. Until Disk 3 started.

The best story would be 12, no contest
Only issue with it is Vaan and Penelo being shoehorned into the lead role

It's not even close to the worst.

I'm honestly glad Final Fantasy II exists because it is such an abomination unplayable piece of shit abortion of a game that nothing they make could be worse.

It's sad when the only JRPGs I can think of that are actually worse than it are Super Monkey Daiboken, Hoshi Wo Miru Hito, and Unlimited SaGa.

>trying to look less mainstream
>calls 5 overrated

whatever you say, fag.

Even 13 you can get a good amount of enjoyment out of. The plot is silly sometimes but the game is gorgeous and some of the characters were good. Fuck Bart though, he was so hard to beat the second time.

>The best story would be 12, no contest
You mean the story that never had a clear protagonist, objective or ending? And even its writer hates because of how it turned out?

I concur

VIII is at least better than II, XII, and XIII, and about equal with IX in terms of being incredibly flawed but still playable.

I also didn't realize you said this but
>7 in 4th place
>This is considered low
>Low enough to be called out as less mainstream

Kill yourself

What fucking story? The endless road trip where your party never has an objective?

The political game bullshit featuring characters your main party never even interacts with where you're never even given a clear picture of what is happening?

Why is IX and XII so praised? Both games are completely mediocre.

IX does absolutely NOTHING special. It's so barebones it may as well be an NES RPG. For fucks sake, even II had a better plot and story than IX. And XII is just a big mess all over the place.

2 is the worst, then 13, and 8 comes in third place.

I honestly consider Xenoblade Chronicles to be the real Final Fantasy XII.

It took that game's ideas on gameplay and open world and sidequests and put them into an actual game where you have to actually touch the controller, and also managed to have an actual plot with clear goals for your party where your party is actually involved with things that matter in the game's world.

2 is fine when you play the dawn of souls edition. Great story, fun battle system, awesome final boss, and the add on was another great challenge. and dont' tell me you actually played the NES fan translation one on an emulator.

>muh job system

Tons of games have done it better than V. Tons. Try playing games that aren't FF.

V is mad overrated on this board because it's that hidden gem that took them too long to realize wasn't terrible. Like Majora's Mask.

It and IV are both generic games that take 0 risks and why anyone would think they're the best at anything is beyond me

None of the versions of FF2 ever fixed the broken leveling system, retarded enemy placement, awful dungeons, magic system, pretty much anything about the game that makes it an unplayable pile of dogshit.

hell, I would actually say that FF2 has consistently gotten worse every time it was remade, at least in the NES version you can abuse glitches to make yourself have infinite strength and magic power so you can make the game somewhat more playable.

>Tons of games have done it better than V. Tons. Try playing games that aren't FF.
name them.

and besides, V was the one that perfected the job system.

V babies moving the goalposts, as usual

Your taste is shit m8 accept it

please name a game other than FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, FFX-2, or Ogre Battle 64 that did it better
in fact name several I want some good games to play

>Tons of games have done it better than 5
List some then

>V is mad overrated on this board
Probably because it's a great game?
Let me guess, you hate Dark Souls too, just because Cred Forums really likes it?

FFX-2 will suffice

V is garbo, stop being hipsters and realize liking VII isn't poor taste just because it's so good that a lot of people realized it

I started FF VIII recently and to be honest with you guys I hated it.
But I began to start loving it during disc 2.
I really like the Laguna parts, but the areas where we use Squall and friends aren't really my taste.
The magic system is also pretty annoying to use, the whole idea of consumable magic has always annoyed me and it just doesn't work imo.

The only FF game that's overrated by hipsters is IX, with the worst battle system in the entire series, shit story, load times out the ass, and subpar soundtrack.

Since we're doing this already might as well post mine

5>6>9>7>12>4>1>10>3>8>2>actual shit>13

r8, h8, masturb8

Ok, I'm the guy that originally posted the rankings
Explain to me how putting VII at 4th place on my rankings means I don't like it
I love the fucking game, I just like those 3 better

At any rate, you're actually doing what you're calling me out on with V

>None of the versions of FF2 ever fixed the broken leveling system,
There was nothing broken about this. Abusable yes, but if you're not such a huge autist that enjoys hitting himself, then it's fine. And you do realize WRPGs used this system way before.
>retarded enemy placement,
What placement? Accidentally going to a place with too high level enemies?
>awful dungeons, magic system,
Nothing wrong with either.
>pretty much anything about the game that makes it an unplayable pile of dogshit.

FF2 is a OPEN WORLD WRPG in a JRPG form and you hate it. Which is funny because you like XII. Which 2 is basically the SAME EXACT SAME GAME

>Star Wars Storyline
>Able to go to places way too high level for you
>Battle system where you're locked out of stuff
>Open ended Job system

At least 2 doesn't have retarded enemies like the dinosaur eating the tomato and effectively breaking your game. And at the very least, Maria, Furion, Guy and Leon actually play a role in the plot.

Lightning Returns
Dragons Dogma

>tfw love VIII
The junction and GF systems are interesting and unique while not making the game unplayable shit like FFII or Unlimited Saga's interesting and unique systems.
Music is amazing.
Graphics are amazing.
Story is so fucking insane and 90's as fuck that it's legitimately hilarious and leaves me laughing the whole time, I was never bored with the dialogue.

Respectable, would play vidya with

>all these games copy V's job system
>somehow V's is terrible

IX fans everyone.

FFVIII is a teenager's view of everything that is cool. A sword that is also a gun, a stoic badass who's secretly deep and tortured, a girl who falls in love with a protagonist almost immediately, even when I was a kid I thought no, this is trying way too hard.

I'm not playing Lightning Returns until there's a mod for the PC version that makes Lightning not have Hank Hill ass.

Dragon's Dogma was shit and calling 9 classes which overlap heavily a 'job system' is ridiculous.

Best FF is VI, VII or IX
Best girl is pic related

>girl that falls in love with protagonist immediately
No she doesn't. Rinoa uses Squall in the beginning to fuck Seifer. After saving her life a few dozen times, she finally likes him.

I only finished FF7, and played up to the end of the first disk of FF8 and I enjoyed it so much more than 7.
Fuck what people say, the junction system was fucking great.

Hi.

It was broken as fuck. If you actually play the game the way it's intended, you are facing probably 15 hours or so of grinding, several at the very beginning of the game. That is unacceptable. The fact that you could go through fights without gaining anything is shameful and makes the game a complete slog.

There are enemies on the starting continent that will one-shot you who you can't even damage despite the starting area being relatively small and there being LITERALLY NO REASON for them to be there as they don't really block off anything. You can get a game over within 20 seconds of gaining control of your characters by walking south a few tiles.

The dungeons were garbage, full of empty rooms, and most had that bullshit where when you enter a door, it plops you in the MIDDLE of the room and not by the door, making you walk back and face more random battles.

The magic system is terrible and requires you to use a spell literally thousands of times to level it up, that is not acceptable.

And I never said I like FFXII, I hate FFXII, it is a piece of shit and possibly the second worst game behind II.

>2 is fine when you play the dawn of souls edition
Incorrect. They did fix the absolutely broken NES version, but even after the bug and glitch fixes, and tweaked battle system II is still easily one of the worst in the series.
>Great story
If it weren't for the fact that 1) It's basically just Star Wars, and 2) FF4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 all did the same story but way better then yeah, it'd awesome.
>fun battle system
Even in DoS II's battle system is horribly unpolished. Everything you do to level up in that game is equivalent to the Skyrim dagger trick at launch, and if your game is more unpolished than a Bethesda game at launch you have a problem. It was a neat concept, I'll give it that, but it wasn't until the Romancing Saga the system was made into something both fun and functional.
>awesome final boss
The Emperor is a great villain, but his final form is just another archdemon.
>the add on was another great challenge
We can agree on that at least, made the Emperor and the actual final boss more interesting. But not nearly enough to save the rest of the game.

FFII ranges from mediocre at best, broken at worst. And considering its story was done better in five succeeding FFs, its most illustrious accomplishment was outdone again and again.

7 is a good rpg wrapped up in what used to be amazing graphics during an era where people were getting into video games. Try and punch your nostalgia boner back into place and you'll see it's rather mediocre in the FF series.

With things like a bland edge lord main character with the personality of a wall, squaring off against an edge lord half angel OC main villain with the personality of a wall who's only humanizing trait is his horrendous mommy issues.

Then couple in an easily abuse able skill system that trivializes combat but rewards the player with very flashy large numbers and animations for it's time.

Then put the cherry on top with one the worst moments in FF history, the killing of Aerith not because it's emotional or surprising, but because Square obviously realized that there is no desire to fight Sephiroth aside from "Everybody will die. The End.". It is the most forced she needs to die so you'll care moment I have ever seen. It's only there because they can't get you emotionally invested in a villain with the personality of a potato sack unless they give him a mustache twirling kill the innocent girl scene. FF7 used to be one of my favorites until I recently replayed it realized it's pretty mediocre prolly sits just above VIII or XIII for me.

A real tier list should look something like
>S
Tactics, IV, VI

>A
V, IX, X,

>B
I, XII, VII

>C
II, III, VIII, XIII

>>Great story
Neither of those points make it not a great story.

>It was broken as fuck. If you actually play the game the way it's intended, you are facing probably 15 hours or so of grinding, several at the very beginning of the game. That is unacceptable. The fact that you could go through fights without gaining anything is shameful and makes the game a complete slog.
Wrong. If you played it as it was intended, the enemies that start hitting you will net you more stats and boosts to level your characters up faster. Furthermore, you'll be using more spells to get through dungeons, leveling up spells through usage.

>
There are enemies on the starting continent that will one-shot you who you can't even damage despite the starting area being relatively small and there being LITERALLY NO REASON for them to be there as they don't really block off anything. You can get a game over within 20 seconds of gaining control of your characters by walking south a few tiles.
For someone that loves OPEN world games, you sure bitch a lot about this. And it's fine, next time you learn not to step there, or RUN THE FUCK AWAY
>The dungeons were garbage, full of empty rooms, and most had that bullshit where when you enter a door, it plops you in the MIDDLE of the room and not by the door, making you walk back and face more random battles.
Like old school dungeon crawlers?
>The magic system is terrible and requires you to use a spell literally thousands of times to level it up, that is not acceptable.
No it doesn't, and a level 3 cure can get you through the game.

>Beatrix
Don't get me started on that turd.
I've a feeling the lead writer wanted to basically make her a main character and proto-Lightning but was rebuffed by the other writers.
Invincible Mary-sue.

meme

All the "bad" FF's are decent to good rpgs except for 2, 8, and 12. 7 is overrated but still good and FF 13 is actually enjoyable.

I played FF7 for the first time in 2014 and I think it's by far the best game in the mainline series.
I also played FF9 for the first time in the same year and thought it was complete shit.

>Invincible Mary-sue
brety sure thats why shes a side character

Wow, a list I actually agree with completely. Huh.

>Incorrect. They did fix the absolutely broken NES version, but even after the bug and glitch fixes, and tweaked battle system II is still easily one of the worst in the series.
I disagree, I enjoyed how the game leveled you up. it's a unique change to the series, and pretty well done.

>
FFII ranges from mediocre at best, broken at worst. And considering its story was done better in five succeeding FFs, its most illustrious accomplishment was outdone again and again.
That's a really bad argument.

9 has objectively the best music.

FF fans are the most autistic when it comes to comparing games

Admittedly she is annoying in that you can fight and 'beat' her like, I think 2 or separate times only for her to ohko the party.
aside from that I can barely remember anything else about her, or most of IX in general to be honest.

I agree completely

t. guy who's been posting in this thread

I've played loads of dungeon crawlers, from Shining in the Darkness, to SMT, to Etrian Odyssey, to all 4 original Phantasy Star games.

In none of them did I ever open a door, and not end up right next to that goddamn door in the entrance of the room.

And again, if you play the game as intended, getting hit by the enemies, you do not gain stat boosts as fast as you should, and it will add at least 10 or so hours to your playtime that you could avoid by hitting yourself or using the confirm glitch.

Quit trying to defend this experimental piece of dogshit. Final Fantasy II is a horrible fucking game, you're trying to defend it like it's Romancing Saga 3, a game which used FFII's systems but made them all playable and put them in an actually fun game.

if your favorite Final Fantasy is

>IV
You are a bigger nostalgia faggots than VIfags and unlike VI, your game is genuinely shit with no notable good characters except Rydia

>VI
You have a heavy nostalgia goggles and great sense of jealousy that VII is overall the better and more popular one

>Tactics
You are an oldfag who thinks politics and religious plots are deep but in reality it's just a shitty cover up for the pathetic clusterfuck of a story that not even can be consider average if it's a fictional book. Also the gameplay is quite bad and uneven because you either suck or overly OP when you get Thundergod CID

>VII
You are casualfags who probably never played anything else besides VII or VIII or X and try to judge them

>VIII
You are huge emo faggot who thinks Squall is anything like you. You project yourself as Squall and Rinoa as your love interest throughout the game but then you realize you will never live in Balamb Garden so you end up hating yourself and the game

>IX
You have shit taste that prefer a fun and adventourous story but lack the ability to see how bad the other aspect of the game is especially the stupidly designed battle system, the horrible secondary playable characters and the inconsistent plot

>X
You are a weeaboo that share the same taste as japanese who likes drama over other things. Too stupid to realize the game is as linear as FFXIII and it's horrible implementation of the sphere grid

>XII
You thinks you are a fine gentleman and a scholar that like a great game. Too bad 20 hours later you realize there's nothing interesting ever happening and end up dropping the game

>XIII
You should just kill yourself

>I disagree, I enjoyed

This is an even worse argument.

It has some good town themes and some of the event music is good, but the battle music is easily worst in the series aside from X-2, it sounds like absolute shit and it takes up about 70% of the playtime because the battle system is slow as fuck.

Thank god we've got a contrarian like you to tell us how having opinions is dumb.

Those bullshit Lightning fan service games are so much worse than anything that could be levied against 8, 2 or 3.

Lightning games fucking killed FF for a decade, and they get a pass?

XIII actually did very well, and XIII-2 / LR are decent games.

>the battle system is slow as fuck.
That was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about 9.

Listen to the whole soundtrack. The quality of composition is incredible compared to the other games. They just don't even come close.

I prefer the soundtracks of all 8 of the first games over IX's.

And X and XIII as well. XII's soundtrack is either insanely forgettable shit songs or songs taken straight out of Tactics.

except VI has better soundtrack than IX

Its not even close

Play it, user
It is actually fun[spoler/]

Only retards who unironically think 9 or 12 are the best think it's bad/the worst.

>In none of them did I ever open a door, and not end up right next to that goddamn door in the entrance of the room.
play more games.
>And again, if you play the game as intended, getting hit by the enemies, you do not gain stat boosts as fast as you should, and it will add at least 10 or so hours to your playtime that you could avoid by hitting yourself or using the confirm glitch.
You gain stats based on how much life you lose or how much attacks you do. So yes, you do gain stats fast enough.

Considering the time it was made, it does not get the hate it deserves. Especially with what it did.

>S
V, VII, Tactics
>A
IV, VI
>B
VIII, X
>C
I, III, X-2
>D
IX, XII, XIII
>Do Not Ever Even Play This
II

This is after playing through them all in order last year. Well, playing through all except II which I dropped because it's a stain on the series and the genre itself.

Stop replying to yourself.

I do not give a fuck how innovative a game is, you can make the claim that Unlimited SaGa is the most innovative JRPG ever made and that can be true, the game is still an unenjoyable piece of shit at the end of the day.

Also please, please name these games that dump you in the middle of a room when you enter it, because I have yet to play any. And I mean opening a normal door and ending up in the middle of the room it leads to, not some shit like trapdoors that drop you directly one floor down, I've seen plenty of those.

>I disagree, I enjoyed how the game leveled you up. it's a unique change to the series, and pretty well done.
If it wasn't implemented so poorly, it would have been fine. But the game is set up so that using cheap tricks(such as sitting in battle getting the shit beaten out of you just long enough to run away with minimal health) works better than actually playing it straight. It goes to show how poorly optimized the game was, even in subsequent remakes and ports.
>That's a really bad argument.
FF is a franchise. It's okay to say that VIII or XIII are shitty compared to the others(both preceding and succeeding), but not to say II's story doesn't hold up when you look at the rest? Even the original FF still has the charm of a classic JRPG adventure, despite its simplicity, but the only things in the story that make II stand out are the first appearances of Cid and the Chocobos, and the Emperor(who even still pales in comparison to villains like Exdeath or Sephiroth). The game is fantasy Star Wars, and the story's only claim of memorability is the the Emperor intentionally dying, but people forget that too. The characters are dull, the world is dull, and the emotional moments are either pointless, dull, or a combination of both.

FFII is the worst Squaresoft FF. If you want a good version, play Romancing SaGa

>X
>Above anything
Shit list, I don't care about the rest

nice pasta

Lots of 8 was great, some was silly, but ultimately the level-scaling and easily broken game mechanics gave people little reason to try. I still think it's worth a playthrough.

>But the game is set up so that using cheap tricks works better than actually playing it straight
Yeah no shit it's exactly the same with any RPG. You think letting monster beat on you any more of a trick than wandering around grinding on random encounters? It's the same shit and casting Swap is better alternative anyways because you level up MP and HP at the same time

THE GAME SHOULDN'T HAVE FUCKING GRINDING TO BEGIN WITH YOU TARD. Doesn't matter whether it's XP grinding or done by beating the shit out of your own party, grinding is shit game design done to do nothing but pad out the game.

Nice edit, boyo.

Not me patting myself on the back but show your edge lord rage a little more that your Edgey Fantasy isn't the best.

>FFVII
>edgy
It's one of the most silly games in the series.

He's right though. FFans are obsessive autists who fly into an incoherent rage whenever they here that their favorite game isn't someone else's. I remember when /vr/ was still relatively new. After everyone got done talking about how amazing retro-FF is compared to SE-FF, it devolved into a shitstorm that lasted in phases for literal years. I think the breakdown went like this:

>FFVI vs. FFVII
>FFV vs. FFVI/VII
>Kefka vs. Sephiroth
>FFIV vs. FFVI
>Why FFIV is so shitty
>Why FFVII is so shitty
>FFVII vs. FFIX
>FFVI vs. FFVII
>FFVII vs FFIX
>FFV vs. FFIX
>Remakes vs. Originals(in response to FFVII remake reveal)

That's where I stopped, the VII remake made those threads into an abyss of vehement rage and anger. FFans tolerate other franchises, but god damn do we hate each other.

Especially because all of you retarded fuckers are WRONG, and VI is the best.

You can't eliminate grinding without getting rid of random encounters. It's a part of the genre, deal with it. Plus you don't even have to grind at all if you know what you're doing. You're the kind of guy that actually used Draw to get magic in FF8 aren't you?

/vr/ is way better for more obscure stuff.
Threads about games that only few other anons have played are god tier

>You're the kind of guy that actually used Draw to get magic in FF8 aren't you?
not him but what are you supposed to do?
I recently started and just got to disc 2

This is the truth. Anyone who claims any FF other than 2 is the "worst" is full of shit and has probably only played a handful of them.

I played VII for the first time 1 year ago after i've finished IV and VI and it's my favorite

Play Triple Triad for cards and refine them with Quezacotl's ability

This is the definitive list, thank you for putting VII where it should be: mediocre tier.

>You think letting monster beat on you any more of a trick than wandering around grinding on random encounters?
Yes, because if it weren't, there wouldn't be a random encounter system at all.

Or you could make the game good like Chrono Trigger where you don't need to fucking grind to play.

>Play Triple Triad
oh I haven't tried that minigame yet, I didn't know that's what it did.
I skimmed over tutorials a bit and thought it was just a side thing you could do for fun.