So over at /vr/ and /qa/, we're discussing sone possibilities of allowing 6th gen into the board

So over at /vr/ and /qa/, we're discussing sone possibilities of allowing 6th gen into the board.

However many people don't want that so we also came up with a compromise: /v2k/, a board to discuss games made during the 6th generation. I think this is a pretty good idea.

What year range should the board cover if it's created?
strawpoll.me/11249233/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11249233/
strawpoll.me/11275956
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no one cares

Tell those oldfags that people get old and they have become even older. 6th Gen is totally retro now. People are starting to pretend to like game from that era.

/vr/ is a better board than your cesspool

A whole board just for one console gen? That'd be like making a board just for one cartoon instead of just having a general on Cred Forums. Not worth it.

>So over at /vr/ and /qa/, we're discussing sone possibilities of allowing 6th gen into the board.
>However many people don't want that so we also came up with a compromise

so why the fuck is dreamcast allowed then?

>A whole board just for one console gen?
We may include early 7th gen as well.

>That'd be like making a board just for one cartoon instead of just having a general on Cred Forums. Not worth it.
This has happened before. Remember /mlp/?

>A whole board just for one console gen? That'd be like making a board just for one cartoon instead of just having a general on Cred Forums. Not worth it.

how fucking autistic is the vr community that this is an issue? do those faggots still say the PS1 isn't retro while jackin their dicks to the dreamcast?

6th gen doesn't feel retro at all desu but making a board specifically for them sounds even stupider

i guess it might not harm /vr/ that much. the goal is just not to attract the faggot memers that only want to shitpost about hip new games right? if it didn't change the board's demographics much, it might be a good idea.

Despite technically being a 6th gen console, the Dreamcast stylistically feels closer to the 5th gen and before (feels more arcade-y) than the 6th gen and after, not to mention it was released before 2000. That's why it's included.

Also, since the Dreamcast wasn't very popular, it doesn't attract these types of posts like the PS2 would.

that sounds like a dead board to me. maybe a little active at first but no way it isn't near the bottom of the list of active posters within like a month. is /vr/ really so busy it couldn't be allowed?

They should just allow it on /vr/, making a 5th Cred Forums-related board for such a narrow topic is nuts.

then go back there
why are you here

>strawpoll.me/11249233/
>splitting a sub-board into another board
This is a terrible idea on many levels.

hi im the ps1 guy is the ps1 allowed in vr yet

>Despite technically being a 6th gen console, the Dreamcast stylistically feels closer to the 5th gen

wow, honestly i have heard a lot of stupid shit but this takes the cake. i really hope you are baiting

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about? A new board JUST for 6th gen? Thats a terrible idea. If you hate Cred Forums just discuss 6th gen on /vr/. The place is so slow I don't think anyone would mind. Or you could just discuss 6th gen on Cred Forums.

It does though

Why do you faggots think you need such specific boards for everything? It doesn't really matter where you talk about GBA stuff. Here is fine and /vr/ is too. I'd personally lean toward /vr/ because I never see it posted here.

Seriously though, /v2k/ is a stupid fucking idea. If we're going to do that, we might as well have separate boards for each gen.

this just seems really fucking childish to me

Sounds like autism

Should just make the cutoff 15 years.That way you could discuss 2001 games now, 2002 games next year, so on.

They should remove /vr/ and move all retro game discussion back to Cred Forums.

This place went to shit even quicker when /vr/ was made because most of the good threads were taken with it. Now we just fill the void with shitposting.

Hey OP you should just ignore this place, it's a cesspool and most of the opinions on Cred Forums are regurgitated, flavor of the month nonsense.
ALOT of these people don't even play vidya and rely off streamers and YT to create an opinion off one.

yeah, this is a pretty good (you) circus

/vr/ should allow more games as retro as the years pass.
It's 16 years since 2000 now, there are kids that have grown up and are now thinking of games from that time as retro. this is why vr is unbearable.

GBA should be allowed because it uses retro technology, and carries on many old, retro traditions. Eventually the rest of the generation should be allowed too, but there's no need yet. it's still popular on Cred Forums, and could end up flooding the board. Wait maybe until 2020. Allow GBA now.
For phone games, perhaps them too. They kinda share the primitive style. I mean pre smartphone games, btw.

Isn't /vr/ a dead board? You should be begging for more views before they close you down.

honestly creating a board for something as mundane and specific as that is kinda like creating a subreddit

This, pointless board splits need to stop, /vr/ was a shitty idea in the first place

>This has happened before. Remember /mlp/?

Different circumstance. MLP had a really obnoxious and vocal fanbase that everyone else hated. /mlp/ is/was a containment board and even came with a special rule about posting ponies outside of it. I even got banned for posting a reaction pic that had a pony in the background once.

Protip, it's because /q/ and /qa/ and whatever other boards there will be in the same vein, are always just about the vocal minority/shitposters bitching incessantly about what they want and how they want their Cred Forums to be.

deletion fucking when, Hiroshimoot?

/qa/ was a mistake

except the /vr/ threads on here would die with the flood of shitposting that is this board.

As much as I like the idea, /v2k/ will never happen and that's a shame. An entire generation that never gets discussed.

>COMPLETELY missing my point

moot mentioned he didn't like creating boards for this very reason. It creates subdivisions within communities that don't need to be created.

delete /vr/

When was the PS3 launched? I'd say anythin up to then, since the PS2 is considered 'retro' these days

my opinion is that 6th gen handheld stuff is far closer to classic stuff than 6th gen consoles, so they should be allowed

similarly, early 00's PC games are very dated and would not get discussed here but are a bankable offence to talk about on /vr/ (case and point, make a thread about Dungeon siege on /vr/, get temp banned, make it on Cred Forums, gets archived instantly with 0 replies)
I feel niche early 00's PC games would suit /vr/ well, but I understand that allowing games past 2000 in would make stuff like Halo:CE Retro, so it's a tough call

The whole point of splitting boards off from Cred Forums is to save discussion of those topics from the shitposting that's common in Cred Forums.

2006 was only 10 years ago user, like a solid ~15 i say

but i've literally been banned for talking about the GBA on /vr/

And New Moot has the complete opposite approach. One only needs to look at where he came from and how many boards he's introduced in the short time he's been here to see that he's doing the same thing he did back then.

six years ago we still considered games from 1998 retro user...

I'm tired of cancerous autistic faggots that claim to speak for everyone else trying to make rules for this site. Fuck off already.

Well then /vr/ and its mods sound like a bunch of faggots, and you should post about it here. Nobody here gives a fuck, and we'd probably even enjoy talking about GBA because muh collective nostalgia.

Not by that much. It used to be more lighthearted but these days I feel like it's basically just typical childish Cred Forums arguments but with a retro flavor.

no

Kek then why are you here acting like a child?

specific boards is redditt mentality (subreddits)

>/v2k/

This is the dumbest fucking idea ever. Just talk about those games on Cred Forums, stop splitting Cred Forums. It didn't work the first 8 times why would it work this time?

>/v2k/
No

One decade does not warrant the creation of another board. Might as well make /v70/, /v80/ and /v90/ while you're at it, faggots.

/vr/ is more cancerous than Cred Forums is.

Where's the "fuck this shitty idea" option in your poll, OP?

>Spliting up the videogame themed boards even more
Why don't we just make is so each game has it's own board, no other site does it like that right?

It really is. Slow boards with long persistent threads like /vg/ are as close to Reddit as we need to get in my opinion.

It's not there so they can act like it's a popular sentiment when they inevitably repost the poll.

This.

Democracy doesn't work as well as you think it does, especially on the internet. Internet polls get fucked with all the time.

Let Hiro and the shitty mods do they're job themselves without "us" talking about it. It's not that they know better, it's just better for the community.

This. We're just quibbling over the definition of "retro" and what's old enough. How pedantic can you get?

Vr is fanboy elitist central

Honestly /vr/ should just change along with the definition of retro. DESU there's no reason why discussions for platforms that came out in 2001 shouldn't be allowed there apart from the fact that the entire board is autistic. Pretty soon 6th gen will be 20 years old. 20 years is a long time. I remember in the late 90s people already thought of the 70s as "retro". By the early 2000s even the 80s had become "retro". Like it or not, 2001 will be retro sooner rather than later, and its time /vr/ accepts it.

6th gen shouldn't be allowed on /vr/ & /v2k/ shouldn't be created imo

It should be a set number of years before the current year
Anything else is shit

that will go over horribly on /vr/ and the old posters will shitpost the fuck out of 6th gen threads if they allow it. i've been there long enough to know.

Not worth it. You can easily discuss these consoles and their games on Cred Forums
Besides eventually they'll be old enough for /vr/

v2k is too specific of an idea created just because you don't want to share your board. /vr/ is glacial at the best of times already.

I dont understand why /vr/ doesnt already allow 6th gen
Is it meant to be a retro video game board or a "only games i played in the 80s allowed" board?

Get over yourself you pretentious fuck.

>Is it meant to be a retro video game board
This is how it's supposed to be in theory.
>or a "only games i played in the 80s allowed" board?
This is how it is in practice, and likely how it will remain for the near future.

pretty much. there's assholes there who even think psone isn't retro and shitpost to derail psone threads. no joke.

Because they are prissy assholes. Similar to Cred Forums.

>/v2k/
This is the most retarded thing since /vr/, holy shit. Moot was right, democracy does not work, Cred Forums needs to be a dictatorship, only the admin gets the final say. Too bad moot didn't really take advantage of his power.

Cred Forums's elitism at least serves a purpose, and it does give at least some of the desired results.

t. thin-skinned baby

Even in Cred Forums's early 2010s dark ages, older games were always easily talked about. /vr/ is redundant.

>>>/reddit/

>/vr/ fags are autists who won't accept that systems other than their 70s-90s shit will eventually be considered old

Can't say I'm surprised. Just treat it like /his/ where only systems of a certain number of years in age can be discussed there; maybe 20? Or even 18 years to comply with the global rule about age.

Not even that user, but what part of that post was worthy of a this is how you do it properly by the way, you memelord

I hate to sound nostalgic, but I miss old Cred Forums. I remember the first time I went there, the community was really friendly and welcoming. I went again yesterday because I haven't been in a while, and the fuckers had a multi-part thread going about how all the new rules they were voting on, with a bunch of instant ban offenses.

They're so far up their own asses about "spoonfeeding" and shit that I imagine they're even more miserable bastards than we are.

Forgot pic

He is right.

If democracy worked, Cred Forums would be more shit posting.

Internet democracy doesn't work because some dumb fuck autist would rig the polls in his favor then we'd be stuck with more and more boards.

There is literally nothing wrong with any of that.

Did Cred Forums ever take over /his/ like they said they would?

I honestly never got the impression that most Cred Forumsirgins were actually miserable except for the unironic feelfag hordes of 2012

Unfortunately it's the latter. They try to disguise it as hatred everything the sixth gen supposedly introduced to gaming (big budget multiplats, online play, the modern FPS, etc.) and don't realize half this shit had antecedents in earlier gens. A good number of them are also literal manchildren who don't even think N64 and PSX are retro because they didn't experience it isn't "lel something only us 80s kids understand".

This. It makes even /vp/ look like a hub of activity. The catalogue looks much the same from one week to another. Threads can go for days without a post and not 404. It's just such a boring place because there is very little to say about these retro games that hasn't already been said countless times. The vintage game ads threads literally always have the same images posted over and over, likely by the same users.

I remain convinced that thread's just a dedicated shitposter. I mean, just read the damn OP for the thread.

they arent retro you sonyger

>Video games are comparable to the history of man
This nigga actually serious!

no we don't need another fucking vidya board, jesus christ

Cred Forums ruined Cred Forums, also moot and his rampant Naruto shitposting. The board never recovered.

thats ironic as fuck

that's a really fucking specific board that's basically destined to levels of traffic, why not just keep their discussion to here or there?

no they're just intelligent, nihilistic and have a wicked sense of humor

>this is the autism of the average /vr/ poster

I didn't say that at all. I said that there should be a certain amount of years before a video game platform or machine is considered "retro," so that we don't have to have this stupid debate every time another gen console is being considered to be added to /vr/.

I haven't been to /his/ since the early days but I remember most fags being hyped up for destroying Cred Forums's stormfag talking points. So I doubt it.

cuck

Why fragment the community even more? Sounds terrible.

>triggered

die SJW faggot

>add more topics to be discussed
>fragmenting the community

>implying you can't just make a thread and talk about it here

>I didn't say that at all.
You're not really this stupid, are you?

You can already discuss talk about them here, retard.

Yes, that's functionally what happens.

Or you can just discuss that stuff here so Cred Forums does not further devolve into shitposting

I realize this makes me sound like an elitist faggot, but if you want discussion without characteristic shitposting, maybe Reddit really would be for you? There are separate boards for everything, and the moderation is more strict.

Now that a site like WAIT exists to identify anime, asking for sauce is far less excusable. However, Google's reverse image search, which used to be great up until recently decided to start sucking a bag of dicks and isn't worth shit for identifying manga. One or two people asking for the source of a manga that's been posted in a thread and one person replying with that name instead of a bunch of people all dogpiling, calling for bans, and essentially posting "REEEEE SAUCEFAG/SPOONFEEDING!" is fine, and might even stimulate discussion. Not to mention that going to /wsr/ to make a separate thread, probably with the exact image posted on the thread in Cred Forums that you came from seems retarded and counter intuitive. Most of all though, and while I understand Cred Forums's to "teach a man to fish" mentality, getting mad at people for "spoonfeeding" to the point of making it an instantly bannable offense, is just obnoxious pedantry.

>another fucking board
I want Reddit to leave for good holy shit. We don't need boards for every fucking thing

You can talk about old games on Cred Forums too. /vr/ is for slower discussion on older games, and classic threads on Cred Forums usually don't last long if they're not about Sonic or Mario.

Tough shit. This place is fucked.

got a live one

Just allow it on vr, Jesus.

you're a fucking moron for trying to divide this board more, eat shit and die.

Honestly Cred Forums's elitism has only served to make them the most unbearable board on this site in recent years.

Some /vr/ faggot is samefaging this thread so hard lol

>You can talk about old games on Cred Forums too.
That's right, you can.
>/vr/ is for slower discussion on older games, and classic threads on Cred Forums usually don't last long if they're not about Sonic or Mario.
Cred Forums's not really THAT fast.

I have an idea.
How about all you folks that hate Cred Forums so much that you won't even try to discuss video games here fuck off to /r/gaming or gamefaqs or something.

What is the 6th generation

You know that won't happen, especially since many of the shitposters know how to ban evade. Mass banning sitposters would pretty much make shitposters have some kind of uprising and raid the board.

This

/vr/ get the stick out of your ass. 6th gen is old. it should be discussed there. the "NOT RETRO" shitposters on /vr/ are as bad as anything on Cred Forums. Pure, Distilled, Autism.

gc/ps2/xbox era

1995-2005. Bring ACTUAL RETRO to /vr/, it's being ruined with modern gaming PS1/N64 shit.

Yes, PS1/N64 is modern gaming. Style over substance bullshit, it's the birth of what gaming is today. It's not retro and never will be retro.

End of fucking argument. You should all actually listen to someone that's been gaming since the 70s. Mid 90s was the beginning of the end and is not retro.

You must have legitimate mental problems if you don't think everyone here agrees with him.

Dude. Listen to me. You're a fucking crazy person. Please get help before you hurt someone.

What is /vr/'s argument against including 6th gen?

PS2, OGXbox and Gamecube

How fat are you? Just curious.

shit like this

v should be current video games and video games in general, while posting games from previous generations isn't against the rules

vr should be any past gen system, including 7th, anything else is autistic and arbitrary.

I'm not saying it's a perfect defense measure on Cred Forums's part, but by and large it's definitely helped to slow the decline of the board over the years, even if the elitism has degenerated into a blind sense of superiority somewhat.

>What is /vr/'s argument against including 6th gen?
It wasn't around when I was a child so it's terrible and not worthy of discussion
see

that pic is the most desirable situation. look at it this way - another containment board.

>trying to split Cred Forums again when /vr/ was already completely pointless

/vg/ and /vp/ I fully understand but I genuinely can't think of any time where /vr/ has proved that it has a reason to exist.

So /vr/ is just a circlejerk of literal oldfags?

Can't say I'm surprised, honestly

just pathetic

I invite everyone over to 8ch. We have the superior Cred Forums, Cred Forums and the dankest natsoc memes. Please join, you're really missing out staying in this shithole.

>/vr/ has proved that it has a reason to exist.

It's not Cred Forums

Not completely flooded with modern gaming bullshit. Sadly /vr/ still has idiot children that think Mario 64 and MGS were good games which is why /vr/ needs to be pre-1995.

People like you should be forced to play only pre-1995 games for a couple of years. Maybe you will gain some goddamn real perspective on games for once.

Shut the fuck up. All gens had good and bad games you asshat, not just the ones you grew up with.

I play pre-PS1 games religiously and you're still full of shit. Your argument is nothing but MY CHILDHOOD>YOUR CHILDHOOD which is quite frankly pathetic at your age.

>Sadly /vr/ still has idiot children that think Mario 64 and MGS were good games which is why /vr/ needs to be pre-1995.

shut up grandpa

This is what the poll should be
strawpoll.me/11275956

No. We don't need 5 fucking video game boards. /vgg/ and /vp/ were justified so that we weren't having literally the exact same threads dominating the front page every day. Maybe you could argue retro game threads never got much of a chance to shine here but that would be pushing it seeing as psx/64 threads still do fine here.

We can and do discuss 6th Gen games here all the fucking time without problems. We don't need you to "allow" our threads on your stagnant board just because you're getting bored.

If anything this thread has convinced me we need to destroy /vr/. You people are sad and I honestly feel bad for you.

There are people graduating college who were not yet alive when the PSOne and N64 came out. You just come across as a bitter, out of touch Gen Xer who can't cope with the fact that not everyone lived your precious 80s childhood.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia talking, but I started going to Cred Forums in 2007 when they weren't nearly as elitist as they are now, and I think it was better then.

Like I said, there are more posts complaining about saucefagging and spoonfeeding than there are saucefags or spoonfeeding. /wsr/ could be made almost completely redundant by a sticky with a link to recommended anime infographics and/or a constantly running "Sauce Thread".

inb4 proxy votes ruin everything because it's fucking Strawpoll

nice meme

how much of a console tard do you have to be to seperate games into 'generations'

That's stupid. Just wait for 9th gen.

Agreed. The 20th birthday of N64's American release is next week and PS1 is older than that.. Sounds fairly retro to me.

>/wsr/ could be made almost completely redundant by a sticky with a link to recommended anime infographics and/or a constantly running "Sauce Thread".
Yes it could. Still wouldn't really matter though, we'd still have people begging for sauce because they can't read.

You're right that people bitching about saucefags are more annoying nowadays than saucefags themselves, but I view it as a necessary evil, one that at least tries to instill the maxim that an user should know how to fish for sauce on their own. And let's face it, the complete opposite situation is far, far worse for the board as a whole than what we have now, unless you like a flood of threads asking for sauce at all hours of the day.

Splitting boards has only ever caused twice the cancer while dividing what little legitimate discussion there is to be found around here

Prove it.

>Posts containment boards

gr8 argument desu

I blame this fucker RIGHT HERE for making fucking /vr/ the cancerous board it is today. that AND fucking CRT threads, who gives a SHIT what kind of tv you play. Those Tvs are OBSOLETE and trying to explain why using those Tvs to someone who's not internet savvy will look at you like a fucking lunatic. And another thing is fuckers that like to cherry pick threads. It's always fucking them.

Fucking penguin bastard.

No one will believe me but I sent moot the idea and reasoning behind /vr/ so I've always felt like it's my child, I totally agree with you. Right from the start I said there wasn't much point in disallowing 6th gen. This /v2k/ thing is a terrible idea.

/vr/

/vr/ and /vg/

>Those Tvs are OBSOLETE
So are the consoles people like to play on them, which were designed to be displayed on CRTs.

So you can't prove anything and you just pull shit out your ass? Cool.

I'm not memeing when i say most of you in favor of more vidya boards would genuinely enjoy reddit more than Cred Forums. Not only do they have boards for specific generations, you have boards for specific consoles. Hell they have boards devoted to specific games.

""""""""""No""""""""""

I cannot believe I have to actually explain this shit, but I guess since I'm talking to uneducated little children, here we go:

The point is that the average quality of the best games of pre-1995 is VASTLY better than the average quality of post-1995 games. Everything is 90% shit, but when you throw that away and compare what's left, games after 1995 really can't compare to pre-1995. 1995 and after are just not really done well because they know all they had to do is make a slick game to appeal to new gamers.

I'm so sorry I know more than you do, kids. You know, there is something to be said about listening to your elders, because they know more than you do.

Retro GAMING is more about what a game is than how old it is. It's about a time when gaming was more about the gameplay than appealing to people impressed by shiny bullshit and story with quickly done hacked on "gameplay".

>MLP had a really obnoxious and vocal fanbase that everyone else hated.
Not entirely accurate. It was definitely a split between the actual fans, and people actively shitposting on purpose because people were getting so mad at seeing anything pony related. Who's to say what the percentage on each side is, though I'd wager there were more shitposters actively trying to piss people off than fans of the show given just how widespread it was.

I bet you're the one they call, "Australia-kun" ya damn bastard, bet you're gonna post that pic of the sissy looking Jap singer. Damn bastard. Damn shitposting bastard.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about, guy.

Only sane post in this thread.

If you can't handle the shit posting just go to reddit. Shit posting is what keeps Cred Forums running, it's the shitty life blood of Cred Forums.

You are the same exact type of person who bitches and moans about how all modern anime is shit and how many more gems there were in the past, and you give damn near the same bait reasons why.

Guess what user, the average quality of things has gone up over time. You just don't notice it as much due to the market being relatively more flooded with average vidya compared to how it was in the past.

You sound like you have burgers hidden in the fat folds of your stomach. You're like some kind of fast food Naruto.

I'm not your guy, pal.

>Arbitrarily dividing video game discussion by the years the games were released
Fuck off to Reddit or one of the other chans or some shit.

Just allow 6th gen on the board
Dint make a whole neebpard, that shit will be dead as fuck and a complete waste

Okay gramps, we'll all go back to playing fucking Frog Bog and shitposting about Intellivision and Atari instead of anything relevant.

The 80's and early 90's were the golden age of shovelware, 80% of everything that came out was just an inferior clone of a better game.

/vr/ was a stupid idea from the start.
Vocal minority crying because someone on Cred Forums insulted their favorite old game. "Retro" games weren't some kind of fucking plague hurting Cred Forums.

its nice that this continues to be, to exist as this sole burning ember of sin, manifest of all that is wrong with board splits and general threads as a whole
remember when the creation of that board was supposed to fix this place
this was a board once

thats so arbitrary and gay just put the 6th gen in /vr/ fuck what those guys have to say

Saucefags were never that bad. People ask for sauce on games here all the time. The reason it's not a problem on Cred Forums is because we don't freak the fuck out about it like a bunch of sekrit club spergs.

> It's about a time when gaming was more about the gameplay than appealing to people impressed by shiny bullshit and story with quickly done hacked on "gameplay".

And you're suggesting that games like Mario 64, OoT, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, and Abe's Odyssey weren't about gameplay, and didn't go on to transform the rest of the industry? You must be the baitposter people are talking about.

Its not terrible over there but it doesn't have the speed of Cred Forums. Also why did they get rid of hebe?

>a board for games not old enough for the old games board but that you don't want to discuss with Cred Forums

Terrible.

And this is why /vr/ is also just as shit as Cred Forums

Fair enough. Let me rephrase and say ponies brought out the worst in people wherever they were posted, so /mlp/ and the global rule were created not only to contain ponies but to disperse the anti-pony shitposters.

Too bad.

What are you talking about?
We have old games discussion pretty often, especially M&M lately.

It just proves that /vr/ turned to shit

At what point does "retro" stop?
Does it just keep creeping onto another gen every time a new one comes?

Regardless, Cred Forums doesn't need to be split up any more than it already is. I have no issue talking about gen 6 games here when I want to so I don't see the need for another board for it.

Hell people STILL talk about older games plenty on Cred Forums

Aren't most of the 80s gamers playing EVE nowadays?

Cred Forums doesn't ever talk about games. It's true, the maymays said so.

nobody gives a fuck about your old ass fucking consoles you stupid niggers. sry you're too fucking poor to afford new shit, stop fucking about the catalog w/this gay as fuck shit no body fucking cares

sage

/cel/

for celebs and particularly ecelebs, twitch shit and youtube shit

also all "baddest/best/most OP 'x' ever" threads should be considered 'X' generals

IMO it's better than letting the board turn into a cesspool of 'sauce' spam like /gif/ or the other porn boards. Though I honestly don't know who even still uses those.

It's not perfect but it works.

thats exactly the point

thanks for playing

newfag

So, Legend of Grimrock and Etrian Odyssey are allowed on /vr/?

Vidya is far more accessible to the average faggot than Animu and Mango, largely thanks to both the language barrier for most weebshit, and how deeply video games have penetrated into modern culture. That accessibility leads to far more passing knowledge of the subject in question on average as well. As such, the average faggot knows a lot more about Cred Forums-type shit than they do about Cred Forums-type shit, which leads that faggot to ask a lot more entry level questions about anime and manga than they would about video games.

It'd be like if Cred Forums had threads asking what a Playstation is, and people replying seriously to it. Shit that's so blatantly obvious to anyone with even a passing familiarity with the shit in question that it's stupid to even ask about it. That's not to say there aren't times where it's more acceptable to ask for sauce, especially now that Google Reverse Search fucked itself in the ass, but by and large most saucefags tend to ask simple, entry level questions that can easily be answered by a simple Google search.

>Cred Forums isn't a containment board

Meh, Hiro's partner in crime is datamining that place, so it doesn't really make that much of a difference since most people (used to) post on both but 8ch became too slow

>especially now that Google Reverse Search fucked itself in the ass
Speaking of which, what the fuck is up with that anyways? Did they fuck up its search algorithm horribly or something?

>who even still uses those

the gays

Your shit board gets like 10 posts a day, please realise that nobody gives a shit about you lot and having a whole board dedicated to a single generation of games is pants on head retarded

I care. I love older games that AREN'T the ancient technology that /vr/ likes. Probably just as far back as the SNES. So post-2000 stuff is some of my favorite stuff, but it's not allowed here or in /vr/.

how can I get the admins to delete this thread, do I email them>

In the same way Gamecube threads on Cred Forums usually don't last long if they're not about Melee or Thousand Year Door?

I honestly have no fucking idea what went tits up about it, all I know is that it spits back "Cartoon" for almost anything I put into it now.

So talk about them on Cred Forums? No one is stopping you from making a thread.

>IMO it's better than letting the board turn into a cesspool of 'sauce' spam like /gif/

My point is that it won't due to Cred Forums's very nature being different than a board like /gif/'s but there's really no point in arguing about it. Shit will never go back to the way I want it.

Fucked if I know. I don't want to ask on Cred Forums because I don't want to get shit on. Which says a lot about the climate of that board doesn't it?

I can see the benefits of a CRT, really.
But at that point it's just better to use a sticky for information. It shouldn't even get outdated like Cred Forums's headphone guides since who the fuck still makes CRTs

hold on a fuckin sec. Why the hell dont we make a esports board before pulling off this shit?

>come to echochamber chan where you get banned for contributing to a thread if the board owner doesnt like what you say

yeh, no, i got that here.

> I don't want to ask on Cred Forums because I don't want to get shit on. Which says a lot about the climate of that board doesn't it?
Grow a pair user. If you can't handle a few people calling you a retard over the internet you should really find another site to frequent. In any case, it's more of a Cred Forums topic if anything.

are needed more imo desu iirc s e n p a i

How about we just make /vr/ the discussion of games that are from before whenever they think "retro" ended.

Everything else goes on Cred Forums
They can have their circlejerks and we can have our shitposting. It's pointless to make more boards that are going to die anyway.

I've tried. Cred Forums doesn't want to discuss them.

Exactly. /vr/'s a slower board for discussion about retro/classic games. Don't see why it's an issue that new games start being added as they age. Who the fuck is going to only be talking about 80s-90s games in 2030?

>I made one thread and watched it hit page 10, boo hoo old games are prejudiced, never again, Cred Forums hates everything
You didn't try.

nice meme

it's literally all containment then

fucking containment website

You're full of shit. Those "help me find old vidya" threads have started popping up more frequently here since /vr/ is slow as shit and nobody goes there.
You having bad timing doesn't mean nobody wants to discuss them.

I can handle it. I just don't want to waste the time wading through a bunch of shitposts only to likely end up without an answer. Especially if I end up getting sucked into an argument, which I probably will because I like to argue about everything.

Nice reply, faggot. No wonder nobody wants to talk about old video games with you: you probably post Pepe or some shit to fuel your meme boner.

I'd like you to point out where I said I did it only once.

I'll wait for your reply.

>who the fuck is going to be talking 80s-90s games in 2030
60 year old man children
I wonder what Cred Forums will be like when there people that age are common here.

nobody gives a fuck about game older than halo 2 you retard old fuck

seriously kys, this thears is fucking shit

*i mean *thread you all are fucking retards and no body literaly fucking cares

sage

>I just don't want to waste the time wading through a bunch of shitposts only to likely end up without an answer. Especially if I end up getting sucked into an argument, which I probably will because I like to argue about everything.
That's literally this entire site, user. If you're expecting anything else out of here, you're sorely mistaken.

>I genuinely can't think of any time where /vr/ has proved that it has a reason to exist.

You probably haven't gone there before that's why.

good i will have the last post itt FUCK YOU OP GET CANCER AND FUCKING DIE

Nu uh loser

I'm not even in defense of /vr/, you illiterate retard.

Fair point.

I refuse to vote on this in the basis that /vr/ already exists and should just start accepting a new gen if they feel it's old enough to be retro. Making a new board will fix nothing, it will be a dead board and if anything it will only take away posters from /vr/.

This also pretty much has nothing to do with Cred Forums. This is a shitposting-home-board.

Why? It would be deader than poor old /po/ in there.

>ANOTHER fucking board
For fuck's sake
/vr/ needs to quit being bitch babies and just let another gen in
>but that defeats the purpose of /vr/
/vr/ has no reason to exist anyway

Where's the "merge /vr/ back into Cred Forums" option?
Shit poll

>/v2k/, a board to discuss games made during the 6th generation.
Yes please, /vr/ doesn't need Halo and Melee clogging everything up

why u want those autistic old faggots back here you dumb fucking retart?

Why are we talking about new boards and not sound webms?

Those are already quarantined to /vg/ aren't they?

Yeah having yet ANOTHER fucking pointless video game board is retarded though.

GO FUCK YOURSELF OP YOU STUPID NIGGER

fucking die you muslim piece of shit

>yfw

/vr/ was a mistake. It only made Cred Forums worse, now Cred Forums is just "hey this normie game le liberal pandering xD reddit".

So /vr/ is essentially Cred Forums but more pretentious?

No it isn't. /vr/ is dogshit with everyone blaming Cred Forums for the quality of the board when it's clearly an inside problem

just let 6th gen on /vr/. game development didn't become 100% corrupt til 7th gen and for fucks sakes stop voting for 2000-2010 or anything past 2007

>Those are already quarantined to /vg/ aren't they?
I would love nothing more than for that to happen but Meleefags and Halofags think they're too good for /vg/

not really retard, barely anyone fucking posts there. this place is just popular with reddit and tumblr to come here and take a massive dump to feel better about themselves.

everyone from all over hte internet uses Cred Forums to lay massive dumps. it's pretty much the india of gaming. india is literally covered in shit, fucking monkeys

The problem I have with the 6th gen is that it could significantly speed up the board which could ruin discussion in some of the slower more technical threads.

6th gen does belong there though but adding it isn't necessarily as easy as it appears.

>5 boards about video games that literally don't discuss video games
Don't even try to tell me /vr/ is any different. They're actually getting mad at more video games showing up.

i'd kill a monkey ape nigger a mudlimes a curry dump head and a wetback if had the chance

Why not just talk about video games and be done with it?

Oh yeah, /vr/ doesn't really like video games all that much.

/vr/ has a good M&M thread
Nobody gives a shit about the retro rule and it's an outlier. The consolebabby Sega vs Nintendo shitposters are the real cancer of /vr/

>However many people don't want that

Who gives a fuck? I know people who wouldn't want anything but early arcade games. Are you gonna pander to them as well?

>Sega vs Nintendo
These exist today? Why

>post something from 2001
>get told to 'fuck off to Cred Forums retard'

A bunch of retards mad that they never got the last word in 15 years ago, I assume

You're probably better off going to gamefaqs at this point. Reddit is draconian and you will get blocked/shadow banned for having the wrong opinion on anything, same goes for neogaf.

I know! Why don't we allow any user to create any board and become the mod of that board?

We don't fucking need more boards

you should go back to rrreddit you giagntic fucking faggot

You don't need a seperate board for that shit. 6th Gen or even 7th gen isnt old enough to be considered retro, make your threads on Cred Forums. If you're interested in discussing it you'll find each other.

eat a fucking dick you unimaginable fucking fat faggot jesus christ kys

Christ, this thread is proof why I'm glad /vr/ is a thing. It's been 3 years already, get the fuck over it. /vr/ has proven to be a nice and useful board that actually promoted good video game discussion thanks to it being slow, even if the entire place has gotten more of that shitposting "culture" this year then ever before.

6th gen stuff definitely doesn't deserve to be in /vr/, but a bunch of you fags keep bitching about how you want 6th gen stuff here, so I don't see anything wrong with a /v2k/ board for 6th gen. Although If I were running the site, I would wait a few years, then I would split 5th and 6th gen gaming from /vr/ and give them their own board

>ask board number 1 what should be the rules on board number 2

stupid, stupid, stupid

To be fair, people get told to fuck off to Cred Forums on almost every board

There is absolutely no good reason whatsoever for that

That's a good thing, if they give way to you faggots, you'll start posting all types of bullshit. Seems the people who didn't want Dreamcast in /vr/ were right.

/vr/ has gotten pretty hostile to the 6th gen because people are constantly spamming the board about the rules. They assume any thread with a 6th console in the OP is some guy trying to start another meta-thread/argument.

Nah, those peeps were in the wrong. DC launched in 99 and for all intents and purposes competed with the N64 and PSX. The vast majority of early multiplats for the DC were also on the N64 and PSX.

>waah Cred Forums called my favorite game shitty

Yeah, that's the type of "shitposting", I'm talking about. Thanks for proving my point.

>The consolebabby Sega vs Nintendo shitposters are the real cancer of /vr/
I see much, much more console wars threads on Cred Forums than on /vr/.

Why do you think the Dreamcast is allowed in /vr/?

Then go stay in /vr/.

Did you fuck off to Cred Forums, though?

The real reason is that moot or the mods made a specific exemption for it. Originally it wasn't allowed in /vr/ and people were happy with it like that. People kept spamming the board asking for moot or the mods to make an exception for it even though people were mostly against it.

>/v2k/, a board to discuss games made during the 6th generation.
Holy shit, that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Just talk about that shit here.

But they need somewhere "safe" from Cred Forumsirgins.

I feel bad for anyone who comes to Cred Forums to talk about video games, honestly.

>Just talk about that shit here.
You don't understand. Most smart people have given up on Cred Forums. They understand that Cred Forums is a containment board and that the best places to discuss vidya are on smaller spin-off boards.

This is retro

Who doesn't want that?

This is not

What a shit idea.

Cred Forums is too fast, split it. compulsive shitposters thrive on high activity

This is retro

This is not

Terrible scaling methods do not make something retro

/vg/ is absolute cancer and /vr/ is just Cred Forums but slow as fuck.

>compulsive shitposters thrive on high activity
/vg/ prove otherwise

Cred Forums has more board splits than any other board save Cred Forums. Board splits only work as a temporary solution, as the board eventually goes to shit while nothing is actually fixed

Most threads on the "smaller spin-off" boards are just as bad if not even worse than Cred Forums for discussing vidya. /vr/ is the only exception and it was really worse than it ever has been since the initial split

>compulsive shitposters thrive on high activity
Something tells me you've never looked at /m/

>Segafags kept spamming the board asking for moot or the mods to make an exception for it even though people were mostly against it.

There.

People that aren't overly sensitive babies. I remember a few years ago when Cred Forums was truly putrid shit. But these days, it seems like people use the "Cred Forums is shit" as an excuse because the posters didn't agree with them.

both boards are way better for discussing vidya

Nah, you just have shit taste kid.

And I'm sure playing Doom is 4K resolution with 3D models is how the developers intended it back in '93. /vr/ is a joke of a board

While it's true that time will eventually make all generations "retro", it's also true that certain eras carry a different attitude. And I don't believe that the 7th gen and beyond meshes with previous generations. However, I do believe that the 6th generation does mesh well with previous generations. The 6th generation feels like a cut-off point of the previous era. Everything after that is the current era. The PS3 and 360 and Wii will never have the same attitude as the consoles before it.

edge e

>/vg/
>better
>good at all

Most smart people have given up on Cred Forums. Aside from a few niche threads theres really no use in anything but shitposting.

Or low quality textures for that matter. Might as well complain that indie pixel platformers should be considered retro, all 1 billion of them. /vr/'s rules are pretty straightforward. It's based strictly on the hardware that was available in the time period, whether the game is new or old it doesn't matter as long as it runs on the hardware.

>People that aren't overly sensitive babies.
I like how not wanting to post on a board with rampant shitposting makes you a baby

Why can't I post games after 2000 that ran on my windows 98 machine then?

Cred Forums is truly putrid shit. The only difference is back then there was more offtopic Cred Forums shit than ontopic shit.

>Aside from a few niche threads
Those are more likely to come up on said spinoff boards.

I'd love you to direct me to a single video game discussion forum on the entire internet without rampant shitposting.

>implying
I'm pretty easy going

Not really.

You might be able to argue that but if /vr/ reports the thread then the mods might delete it.

You are, it's a video game board for a bunch of nerds with too much time on their hands. Get a grip.

You're about a stone's throw away from saying, "muh Cred Forums culture"

indie games from 2001 should totally be on /vr/ just like duke nukem advance

im going to do a porn dump to kill this pos thread and get faggot OP banned.

any suggestions?

the only person you're going to get banned is yourself, retard

Holy shit, there are lots of people here who actually think video games need multiple categories.

Where the fuck is my Honda Lawnmowers/Landscaping board? I want to discuss the finer points mowers but I don't want to fucking talk about Husqvarna trash or Toro. I want Honda and only Honda.

/vr/ is a safespace for people who identify with video game culture but dont actually want to play or talk about games. Sucks.

Also if you are against shitposting you are by definition thin skinned.

>Also if you are against shitposting you are by definition thin skinned.

>I like how not wanting to post on a board with rampant shitposting makes you a baby

It just means you should find another forum than Cred Forums, there are plenty of joinable groups that are 100% against shitposting. Thousands.

Whatever. Frame it however you want.

>No one will believe me but I sent moot the idea and reasoning behind /vr/ so I've always felt like it's my child
Please seek mental help

It's true though, if you can't handle someone taking a potshot at you then you need to grow some balls.

Before retards like you showed up in 2007 or whenever the fuck you got here, we had a board for shitposting. It was called Cred Forums. Maybe you should head back there.

>reactionface.png
a true Cred Forums classic

>Want to talk vidya
>Thread gets derailed by Cred Forums shitposting
>LOL JUST DEAL W/ IT BRO U THIN SKIN

Yeah, nah, you're a cunt. Put your shitposting where it belongs and let us talk about video games, you retarded Cred Forums kiddie.

>derailed by Cred Forums shitposting
>blames Cred Forums

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Cred Forums probably has a lot of crossboarders that also post on Cred Forums.

Regardless, where did I blame Cred Forums? I blamed shitposters. And that's what I want gone.

That's dumb.
You're dumb.
Gen 6 started 18~ years ago just allow it to be discussed on /vr/

There is literally no reason to make another board to discuss one generation, /vr/ is pointless in the first place

Just include gen 6. What reason is there to not? You can only discuss 1-5 for so long and gen 6 gets older each day

>want to talk vidya
>thread gets derailed by children screaming about 5th vs 6th generation bullshit
>not allowed to discuss anything after a certain time period

You pissants argue about generations while Cred Forums shitposts about actual games. I know which one I'd rather be in.

Cunt.

/vr/ is good for discussing good vidya
Cred Forums is good for discussing casual games, anime and e-drama.
/vg/ is good for discussing waifus and porn.

Console/gen wars are also shitposting that I would much rather do without.

I don't know if this was supposed to be a "GOTCHA" post highlighting my hypocrisy or something, but you failed at doing so.

>Just include gen 6. What reason is there to not?

because /vr/ as a whole are hipsters that want to maintain a certain level of sophistication in their discussion of digital toys for children. That means parsing everything into categories and giving value to some over others.

>Another Cred Forums board
We might be approach a persistent problem with ineffectual solutions here.

Dividing and organizing can have its place, but at some point the userbase needs to be organized or it's just going to keep building up into a splinter of smaller problems getting bigger and bigger. Like a roach infestation, you ignore it when it doesn't bother you and when it does you can't ignore it anymore.

Listen, if Cred Forums's broken records are your real problem, then we're not at odds here, but that's the price of keeping a relatively decentralized environment of opinions.

It was an example of shitposting that needs to be tossed out. The reason I came at you is because you seem to be one of those people that think that I call every idea I disagree about shitposting. That's not true. Ideas can be expressed without shitposting.

I'm a casual /vr/ lurker and I don't know what to feel about these proposals.

Dumb somewhat ignorant question out of curiosity but kind of related, will current modern music be considered "classical" music in 100-200-300 years? is there a rule for inclusion into the whole "classical" thing or did it turn into a genre anything can adhere to, even some "modern" music?

Could we draw a parallel with this "retro games" thing? adjusting the years of course.

If we allow 6th gen we are opening the floodgates to Kingdom Hearts, Melee and fucking endless Persona 4 waifu threads.

Fuck that shit.

The problem is that Cred Forums exists. Just have a seperate board for each generation: /v1/, /v2/, etc up to /v9/ for NX and Scorpio discussion

When are we getting /mur/, /ar/, /toyr/, and /gr?
Also when are we getting /mu2k/, /a2k/, and /news2k/?

I would say 2000-06 as thats the span of 6th gen.

However I would just allow the gba and not 6th gen consoles because 6th gen - 8th gen doesnt look terribly different other than resolution.

This.

>the point
>
>your head

>will current modern music be considered "classical" music in 100-200-300 years?
Unlikely, no, unless the music in question while modern today and technically a spinoff of something else is even more technically an early pioneer of a sound. For example less recent metal might be considered "true" classic metal since earlier than that turns into hard rock and blues and whatnot. To shed some light on the matter I'm not sure what his current stance is but a few years ago I heard Lemmy of Motorhead did not consider his band Heavy Metal but Hard Rock, and he's in a way inclined to that belief since even if a band had a considerable amount of tracks under a genre, i.e. metal, due to whatever reason in production they themselves might not necessarily classify their actual style that genre itself. It's admittedly an opinionated topic with no clear lines but the overall point is the earlier back you go the less modern terms are considered applicable by ear. What sounds like something you know today could have a different classification based on how it was received or conceived then.

>is there a rule for inclusion into the whole "classical" thing
Sort of, as far as I know classical music refers to composition that abides by the classical era, i.e. the musical techniques hallmarked during that period, arrangement and composition. To stress that means simply using "classical" instruments does not a classical song make.

>did it turn into a genre anything can adhere to, even some "modern" music?
Well yes that is the paradox isn't it, modern compositions can be considered classical.
>Could we draw a parallel with this "retro games" thing?
You can make up whatever terms you like for genres really. Neo-retro-wave, dark-bubblegum-pop.

Just slap whatever on it.

But the original GBA didn't have light

>Thinking "retro" means old.
The board was retarded from the beginning.
Retro refers to imitating a style from recent history.
Indie pixelshit is retro because it's "imitating" the style of games from several decades ago.
Old games should just be called vintage.
Anyone calling old games retro is just as retarded as someone who'd call Spelunky a roguelike.

Just accept it /vr/, quit being a baby.

>"I'm so glad that's not me." - Cred Forums
I would rather Cred Forums-Cred Forums than that fucking shithole it turned into.

>Old games should just be called vintage.
Vintage what fuccboi?

Vintage games.